Question

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix
Is it lightSABER or lightSABRE? cos a sabre is a type of sword

yerssot
officially it's lightsaber (american-english)

as you can see here:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/technology/sithlightsaber/index.html

Baylin
It depends if your English or American.
We English have sabres that come in lots of different colours and the Americans have sabers that come in lots of different colors

yerssot
but considering GL is american, it's saber stick out tongue

Rogue Jedi
yes. once again, america takes charge.

§pearhead
as is "saber" its just american stick out tongue

yerssot
forgive her, she's british wink

Baylin
Yeah well if any of those dodgy American force users come to Britain something will magically rejig itself in their lightsabers and suddenly they will have lightsabres!!!!!!

yerssot
it's the will of the force *nods*

amity75
As long as it's not callled a "Laser sword" I don't care! Though even Lucas cringingly refers to it as this during the Episode I DVD documentary.

yerssot
"I saw your lasersword, only jedi's carry that kind of weapon"
Anakin, EpI

though now I'm doubting

amity75
He was a kid and didn't know any better.

LordRevan
saber/sabre they both mean the same to me

Darth Revan
Brits say "lightsabre", while Americans say "lightsaber". Americans also say "saber" instead of "sabre", so it's really just a matter of nationality yes

Darth Revan
Though I guess theoretically since SW is an American creation, "lightsaber" is correct... However, all it really means is "a saber made of light". (not that it really is made of light, but it looks that way) So I think both are correct

Ushgarak
It was actually originally spelt lightsabRE in the original novel.

It is also notable that in origin, 'sabre' and 'saber' were actually different types of swords, not simple spelling differences, though by today that is the main distinction.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.