SW Ep 3 Petition for Overseas US Troops

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bilb
Seeing as how SOME jerks cant keep poilitics out of a simple SW thread, I am reposting PVS's original thread for an online petition for the troops in Iraq to be able to see SW Ep 3 on the release date.. not 2-3 months later.

Episode III for Overseas Troops Petition

From TF.Net:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.theforce.net/episode3/st...roops_90989.asp

To: Lucasfilm
With the worldwide release of Star Wars Ep. III The Return of the Sith approaching, there is a group of people who should not be left out. Our US Troops serving overseas in various branches of the military. Many may be in areas where it is impossible to see a movie, but there are just as many who are serving at bases with their own theater. Usually the movies shown at these theaters have been out for several months before they get it. I think that for a movie as monumental as the final Star Wars that special arrangements should be made by Lucasfilm to ensure that our troops get to see the movie as close to the same time as everyone else.

This subject is close to me because I recently learned that a dear friend of mine will be deployed just before the release. He is a big Star Wars fan and had planned to take leave and camp out with me for tickets in costume. However all of those plans for him are gone. He will be overseas serving at a military base when the film is released. It is possible that he might be back from his tour of service before the base could even get the movie. This would prevent him from even getting to see it on a large screen. I would love for him to get there and find out that he will be able to see the movie that he has looked forward to for years. To see a bit of the familiar while far from home is always a boost for moral. He has told me of several friends he has made in the Air Force who are also fans and will be deployed the same time.

I hope that you to feel that something should be done to allow our troops serving overseas to watch the next and final Star Wars movie. Please show your support for our troops.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so yeah, sign the petition. whether or not you agree with this war, those troops deserve the same SW goodness. if WWE can set up whole damm wrestling show there, then GL can easily throw some cash at this and make them happy for at least 2hours and 20minutes.

i get the feeling lucas would do this anyway, but lets tug at his heart strings just to be safe smile

here's the link to the petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/swtroops/petition.html

smoker4
Signed smile

LanİeWindu™
bilbs, if I thought this thread would work in GDF I would have just moved the other one over here. I think the other mods will try pushing this one back into the Ep III forum.

PVS
just so we're clear, the creator of this petition is named Jennifer Russell, and she posted it at TFN.

and moderators, please leave it here for a little bit for exposure. if its pushed to ep3 it will just succumb to petty politicised trolling again, and if its in the OTF it will be pushed to page 3 in no time at all.

just a little while....pretty please? smile

edit: oh and thanks bilb smile

manny321
I think thery be more interested in black hawk down and such. poor soldiers caught in a needless war.

bilb

LanİeWindu™
We'll see...but I don't think it will fare any better here than it did in Ep III.

PVS
well, ill be happy if that many more people see it and sign it. the topic in itself is superficial imho. i just care about the signatures.

on a side note, everyone please just ignore the trollers. people who are for this idea can only stand to lose by taking their bait and they can only succeed in....well whatever they think they're succeeding at erm so it would go like this:

-people take bait from troll
-flame war ensues
-thread gets closed
-trolls win

so yeah, just ignore the haters smile

Darth Surgent
Nifty. happy

Jackie Malfoy
Who knows there might be some troops that are star wars fans.JM

pr1983
Signed...

Darth Jello
I have a feeling that after this movie comes out, a lot of people are gonna see parallels between the bushies and Darth Sidious.

BlackC@t
Bah! Way too much to read and I do not have time for it.

PVS
Originally posted by BlackC@t
Bah! Way too much to read and I do not have time for it.

thank you for that
but you had time to post that? What the f**k?

PVS
*eating humble pie*
ok lancewindu, you were right.
it seems more people are interested in bush's frikin ipod....wow
what a disappointment

oh well sad

Linkalicious
Awww come on!

This is easily right up alongside Bush's iPod tunes in stupidity.

Seriously, any trooper who has his head so far up his ass that he's worried about missing SWIII on opening night deserves to be kidnapped and beheaded on video only to be followed up by two insurgents pretending to be Darth Vader and Obi Wan fighting it out while standing above their dead corpse.

At war....worry about your life, not about how cool Anakin looks as Darth Vader.

PVS
thanks for the lecture.
why dont you take a second and read the signatures/comments from family members of soldiers overseas and vaterans in that petition and you may not be so quick to speak just for the sake of speaking.

Alpha Centauri
^^^Couldn't have said it better (To Link).

Unless you used Yoda.

Serious though. If I was laying down at night in a warzone, knowing I could be killed tomorrow, the last thing on my mind would be seeing Ewan McGregor parade around in a monk robe.

I mean if you wanna help em see the movie, I don't REALLY see why not. I just think it's quite stupid to be concerned with a movie when you're fighting in Iraq.

-AC

PVS
no, you would be wanting to do something OTHER than cover your ass for at least a couple of hours.

thanks for the 'talk out your ass' fest

here are some quotes from the petition:

I'm active duty Air Force, and would love for my brothers in arms to have the opportunity to see this film while serving overseas. It would be a huge morale booster and let everyone know that they are not forgotten.

Im a Marine stationed in okinawa id love to be able to see it may 19

I'm a fanatic SW fan and Iraq War vet. You can't imagine how much of a moral boost seeing EP III would have been for me while deployed. VR.

I'll be serving in Qatar from mid April till August and won't have the opportunity to see the movie in the theaters.

Maj, USAF - having been deployed, I know this would be a HUGE morale boost

I am a USMC Vet Troops need this

Having just come from an overseas assignment, this would be a genuine gift for the troops serving as well as their families.

I don't think seeing a movie is too much to ask when you put your life on the line everday for your country.

USAF/SP (1983-1993), give the Force to our troops!

My wife and I are both active duty and are both HUGE Star Wars Fans. For the last 3 years we've been planning a trip to go see Ep III at Graumann's Chinese Theater in LA... saving up leave and money to ensure we are able to take time to go. We haven't been able to see the last 2 movies together on opening day because we've been stationed apart at the time. This time, we got lucky -- she just returned from a tour in Afghanistan, and will leave in Jun for a 1-year remote tour oversees. We should be able to see Ep III together on opening day!! However, we know tons of other SW fans in the military who are not as lucky. This initiative would help make the lives of all the Star Wars fans who are serving our country overseas a lot better!!!!!!!!!

I am an active duty service member and just returned from a deployment overseas. I have been looking forward to this movie since 1977 and have plans to sit in line in LA with my husband. Due to lucky timing, I will be able to accomplish this pilgrimage, but I could just have easily been overseas at the time of the movie release. Almost every active duty member I know is a huge Star Wars fan and seeing this movie close to its opening date in the U.S. would mean the world to them.

as a former serviceman myself, my heart goes out to the troops serving in our military. To bring a bit of "home" to those troops currently deployed would be something truly special for them.
No

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by PVS
no, you would be wanting to do something OTHER than cover your ass for at least a couple of hours.

thanks for the 'talk out your ass' fest

Wow, someone never ate their shredded wheat this morning.

True, I would wish for some kind of release. However, I doubt I'd be laying there thinking "Man, I could go for some Star Wars Episode 3 on opening night right now." Because that would be stupid. I'd probably be thinking "Why the f*ck am I here? I miss my family and I want to be with them." But then, I have to go a bit further than everyone else and be logical.

Like I said, if they wanna give the troops the movie, go for it. I don't see any problem, I just see it as really stupid if you're bothered about a movie in that situation.

-AC

PVS
ok AC, so lets label it 'pointless' because you and link think so,
since you know so much about what its like to be in a war, i guess you
know better. thanks for setting everyone straight.

KharmaDog
Anything that can make a soldier's life seem remotely normal (like seeing a movie) boosts his moral. I am not a huge Star Wars fan, but hey if it would make them happy, let them see it.

And if PVS wants to do a small part in making it happen, then stop shittin' in his cornflakes and let him do it.

Alpha Centauri
We could do that, yeah.

Or we could just go hog wild and realise that I said 'Yes get the movie out to them', whilst adding my own view to it. I said it seems selfish that whilst you're in a war, seeing a movie brightens your day. However, I respect that it might actually brighten their day, so get it out to them if they can.

Don't fly off the handle, doesn't make you look good.

-AC

PVS
then explain this:

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I'd probably be thinking "Why the f*ck am I here? I miss my family and I want to be with them." But then, I have to go a bit further than everyone else and be logical.

well, as long as you get to once again put yourself above everyone else and declare yourself intellectually superior. hope you're ego is all big and fluffy now. thanks for trashing this thread and insulting my intelligence in one swoop.

but whatever, this thread is getting no exposure anyway. im going to PM bilb and ask that she request this thread to be closed.

once again:
YOU WERE RIGHT LANCE
and i'll take my crow well done

Linkalicious
Originally posted by PVS
thanks for the lecture.
why dont you take a second and read the signatures/comments from family members of soldiers overseas and vaterans in that petition and you may not be so quick to speak just for the sake of speaking.

You asked for an opinion....I gave you mine.

I did take a second to read the petition and I gained exactly what I expected to gain from it....absolutely nothing.

I'm sorry I don't get teary eyed when I see such incredible requests as

Just what the troops need...an excuse to go running around camp screaming LIGHTNING BOLT! (watch video)

Heaven forbid our soldiers ever become distraught!

PVS
ill never understand why people just feel the need to take a shit all over something like this.

and no, nobody asked you for your opinion. just a signature. if you dont want to give it, then fine. but why did you have to ruin it, politicise this thread, and take out your frustration against a corrupt administration on a bunch of troops who represent the nation's lowest tax bracket? i hope you're satisfied.

Linkalicious
And I'll never understand why people go so far out of their way to defend something as moronic as this. Guess we have different viewpoints....

You're sooo right. Nobody asked for my opinion, but at the same time...no body asked for yours either, yet you feel compelled to share it with the group anyways just as I do. Only difference, I'm replying to your jabs at me...you're replying to everyone with a view against this petition.

Who's being political here? The person who's labeling our troops into the smallest tax bracket...or the person who is more concerned with the health and physical well being of our troops than seeing a damn movie 2 months before they would normally get to?

/cry

KharmaDog
Link, Ithink that you are totally missing the point here.

PVS
i dont feel compelled to go out of my way to take a big fat shit all over something that many other people feel would be a nice gesture toward others.
thats the big difference.

thanks again. now you can feel superior and bask in the warm glow of your own ego. now can you please just stfu?

Linkalicious
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Link, Ithink that you are totally missing the point here.

No, no...I get the point quite clearly. I just also see how pathetic the point is...

Great, they saw the movie, they feel better, wooohooo...moral out the roof!

Now how does that help them survive out there? confused

Originally posted by PVS
i dont feel compelled to go out of my way to take a big fat shit all over something that many other people feel would be a nice gesture toward others.
thats the big difference.

thanks again. now you can feel superior and bask in the warm glow of your own ego. now can you please just stfu?

Angels in heaven are crying right now...

This has nothing to do with superiority or my ego, this has to do with common sense. The American military already has their work cut out for them without having to worry about seeing the Star Wars Episode 3 on opening night.

Just what we need..."Sarge...ughhhh...I got....shot....in the gut. Does...this....mean....I...miss Star Wars?"

I'm sorry...it looks like you're trying to tell me to shut the f*ck up but all I'm hearing is some infant crying in the distance.

smoker4
The milk of human kindness runith over

and why would this be an additional worry?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by PVS
then explain this:

well, as long as you get to once again put yourself above everyone else and declare yourself intellectually superior. hope you're ego is all big and fluffy now. thanks for trashing this thread and insulting my intelligence in one swoop.

but whatever, this thread is getting no exposure anyway. im going to PM bilb and ask that she request this thread to be closed.

once again:
YOU WERE RIGHT LANCE
and i'll take my crow well done

A) Where does everyone get these mysterious quotes and theories of me putting myself above everyone else intellectually? I'm really starting to think they don't exist. If you think I am, then thanks. I'm extremely smart and intelligent, yes. Why should I say I'm not when I know I am? In no way does that equate to me putting myself OVER others, unless you put yourself below me.

B) I stated my opinion on what I would be thinking had I been in the position, if you bothered to read the rest or any of my posts considering the topic, you'd see that I agreed with you.

-AC

PVS
trolling knows no low in this forum it seems sad
disgusting

Linkalicious
*gives PVS a mirror*

Speak for yourself bud. You're the one attacking anyone with a position that differs from your own.

PVS
ok link, shouldnt you be bashing that woman who's friend was murdered by her own son? wasnt that more fun? ah the anonymous nature of the internet. you can just say whatever you wish with no fear of consequence. just safe behind your keyboard.

Linkalicious
Originally posted by smoker4
The milk of human kindness runith over

and why would this be an additional worry?

I thought I illustrated that already...

Linkalicious
Originally posted by PVS
ok link, shouldnt you be bashing that woman who's friend was murdered by her own son? wasnt that more fun? ah the anonymous nature of the internet. you can just say whatever you wish with no fear of consequence. just safe behind your keyboard.

I bashed her?

Oh really...and what did I say to bash her?

I showed no sympathy or compasion...I didn't bash her.

and Hi, aren't you the one who just asked me to shut the f*ck up over the internet? Who's hiding behind a keyboard? right. next.

PVS
i said 'please' didnt i?

Linkalicious
Yes.

And how does that make you any less of a hypocrite? confused

LIGHTNING BOLT!

PVS
i dont understand.
you've already pissed all over and ruined this thread.
i have requested that it be closed...and yet still you continue
with round after round of breastbeating. i guess you are
just too thrilled with yourself to just let it go.

Linkalicious
No worries, I've requested this be closed too... happy

What's not to understand. You sit here and jab at me from behind your monitor, make false claims against me, and tell me to shut the f*ck up.....and i'm supposed to sit here and take it from you?

What I don't understand is how you can sit here and blame me for ruining this thread when you're the one who replied to my original post. I brought the fuel...you're the one that lit the fire. You've sat here and taken feeble pop shots and me and AC for having a view that differs from your own and instead of just letting us have our own view you feel compelled to lecture us....

PVS
i guess if you ignore what you type, its easy to declare that you never said it.
brilliant strategy. and yes, i did tell you to stfu. i can own up for what i say.
why cant you?

smoker4
Originally posted by Linkalicious
I thought I illustrated that already...

Er nope!

Linkalicious
Originally posted by PVS
i guess if you ignore what you type, its easy to declare that you never said it.
brilliant strategy. and yes, i did tell you to stfu. i can own up for what i say.
why cant you?

What would you like me to own up for?

For having a view that differs from your own? I've said that from the begining.

lil bitchiness
Alright, this is your warning, for all the participants in the thread.

Knock it off or I'll close the thread....please.

PVS

Linkalicious
Originally posted by smoker4
Er nope!

Our troops don't need to sit there and worry about "tonight's" screening of Star Wars Episode 3. They don't need to try and cruise through their day as effortlessly and carelessly as possible because they are too excited by the thought of getting to see Anakin fall into a pit of lava. The don't need to come out of a threater thinking how cool it would be to Force Choke someone while the enemy is still out there...

Giving soldiers this opportunit DOES help moral, but it is also an excellent opportunity for the enemy to attack. It is a prime time for our defenses to be side tracked by less important issues.

How is this different than any other distraction? It's not. But there's no need to add another log to the fire.

Another reason? Star Wars fans don't deserve special priviledges just because they are Star Wars fans.

What if only a very small portion of the military were Star Wars fans and a gigantic portion were Quentin Tarentino fans? Why didn't they get to go watch Sin City early?

KharmaDog
Link, you obviously don't understand (or care about) the importance of moral among soldiers in a stressfull situation or how little things (yes, things as little as a movie about which you yourself may or may not care) can put them in a better frame of mind so that they can face all the shit that they have to face in the field.

AC, whether you realize it or not, or whether you acknowledge it or not, you often come across trying to put forth that you are of superior wisdom and intellect than many that are here. It's how you are. It is not our problem, as you often like to say, but yours, if you cannot fathom how you present yourself to others, and if you are o.k. with it than that's your business.

Whatever anyone's opinion is, it hasn't been requested, all that has been requested is a signature. If you are not interested, then don't bother.

I think it's odd that people have to comment so negatively about people trying to do something positive, or feel compelled to voice that opinion.

PVS
its a petition to LFL

feel free to start a petition to quenton tarentino if you wish.

meh...whats the point of arguing this any moresad
disgusting

smoker4
I just agreed that it was a nice jesture and signed the petition, i dont see why it would bring them additional worry? it would help moral and they should have some form of distraction for crying out loud, its called down time.....

and tarentino is only a guest director on sin city happy

lil bitchiness
Ok, closing this on a request from the original thread maker.

It really didn't need to come to this, but it has, so...closing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.