Gladiator Vs. Cannonball

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Beyonder
Let's end this right now. Kallark Vs. Sam to the death. Bloodlust mode on. Who wins?

demigawd
lol. Hmm...I wonder what inspired you to open this thread....

Beyonder
The sh!tty misconception that Cannonball beat Gladiator when all he did was land one blow that Gladiator got up from.

demigawd
Eh. I don't think anyone will vote against Gladiator on a re-match. Sometimes the underdog wins, that's how it works in fights in comics and in real life.

But Gladiator got punked real good, didn't he? evil face

MatchesMalone
Obviously, Gladiator should be able to cream the living hell out of Cannonball.

Sentry
I hate it when powerful characters are written to job against weaker ones. Cannonball is gonna die here. Easily.

Xplosive
Cannonball can't die, remember (actully ha cen), but not by some Gladiator. But I think in rematch Gladiator should beat the hell out of Cannonball, but still you must not underestimate Cannonball.

ebonyblade1
Gladiator's name is kallark? Isn't that a little to close to kal-el? Anyway, gladiator would murder cannonball, no contest.

ebonyblade1
oh and I am pretty sure when magneto crushed him in aoa cannonball was dead.

kgkg
HAhaha

Gladiator beats Cannonball ,

-=--then goes for a rematch with Hulk.

pr1983
Gladiator... Sam would last a few mins, but ultimately would be beat down...

KillAll
gladiator COULD have killed cannonball very easily in the first encounter wink anybody who says cannonball won that battle, obviously didnt read the issue. gladiator stopped cannonball midblast (literally) and if he wanted to could have popped his brains out his head. or hit him then.

he toyed with cannonball and used him, exactly for the purpose he wanted to. it wasnt actually a fight. cause gladiator wasnt even fighting.

Zahit
don't ya love how people intentionally quote comics out of context...

Scoobless
Originally posted by ebonyblade1
Gladiator's name is kallark? Isn't that a little to close to kal-el?

actually i think it's closer to Kal-ark....... which, if said quickly, sounds exactly like Clark

stick out tongue

Scoobless
Originally posted by Zahit
don't ya love how people intentionally quote comics out of context...

quick..... to the bat poles

Beyonder
Originally posted by demigawd

But Gladiator got punked real good, didn't he? evil face

Maybe in Magneto's dream since that way he'd have a chance if he ever faced Gladiator. smokin'

Beyonder
Originally posted by Xplosive
Cannonball can't die, remember (actully ha cen), but not by some Gladiator.

??? Heat Vison, Super Breath, throw him into the depths of space.

Anyways here's there fight.

1-1

Beyonder
1-2

Beyonder
2-1

Beyonder
2-2

Beyonder
3-1

Beyonder
3-2

Beyonder
4-1

Beyonder
4-2

Beyonder
5-1

Beyonder
5-2

Here's the infamous seen where Gladiator says he's going to send Cannonball into the sun where it's hotter.

Demigawd thinks he means it; Gladiator was trying to kill Cannonball.
Me, it's a figure of speech.

You'll see why later.

Beyonder
6-1

kgkg
nice scans Beyonder is that the last one??

Beyonder
6-2

Most powerful blow? His hardest blows smashed a small planet to pieces.

If this was truly his hardest blow, then his intent is to kill Cannonball right? So he's there to kill Cannonball? Or looking for something else? wink

Beyonder
Nope, there's more.

Beyonder
He's where some seem to think Cannonball actually won the fight. laughing out loud

He lands one blow and he's proclaimed the victor. roll eyes (sarcastic)

7-1

life is cruell
i doubt that was gladiators strongest blow but it sure looks like gladiator means it (im not saying it was)

Beyonder
Originally posted by life is cruell
i doubt that was gladiators strongest blow but it sure looks like gladiator means it (im not saying it was)

It's does, but notice how all of a sudden he just get's pissed off right away just cause Sam broke free from the steel binding? Before that he was cool and collective, toying with Sam.

Beyonder
Kallark gets sent flying into a construction site.

7-2

Beyonder
8-1

Beyonder
OMG, sh!t. Gladiator's up again. He sure looks like he just got beat up. roll eyes (sarcastic)

8-2

Beyonder
9-1

Beyonder
Bows before Rogue, and says "he takes full responsibility for the fight." But he "needed to contact them" because "the Shi'Ar Empire is in danger."

And he's "a shame that they have to go in his stead."

*Now would he use his most powerful blow and try to kill Cannonball if he needed the X-Men's help because they're needed to take his place to save the Shi'Ar Empire?

9-2

Beyonder
And off to Neverland they go. big grin

10-1

Beyonder
Lastly...

Beyonder
Wait, the X-Men left...without Cannonball. What's up with that? Isn't he an X-Men too? Oh wait, Gladiator explained it: "stand back child." rolling on floor laughing

As for trying to kill Cannonball, well does this sound like a killer: "To send a youth into danger would be a lack of honor."

And: "For if your six comrades are not successful...the Shi'Ar Empire will fall...and the rest of the universe will follow."

Yeah, sounds like Gladiator killing Cannonball was more important then saving his empire and possibly the universe.

Guess what? "Six against the Galaxy" is the next issue. Guess what would've happened if Gladiator really tried to kill Cannonball?

10-2

JWangSDC
hmm what comic was this? I'm kinda interested in reading the series now

Beyonder
Originally posted by JWangSDC
hmm what comic was this? I'm kinda interested in reading the series now

Uncanny X-Men #341

JWangSDC
why couldn't gladiator fight phalanx?

JWangSDC
Also canonball did "beat" gladiator. You need to keep in mind that winning for Canonball meant he stayed alive long enough for his friends to get there. It was supposed to be gladiators most powerful blow...no physical force is gonna hurt canonball when he can absorb all it's kinetic energy. It was a technicality type of thing

Beyonder
Originally posted by JWangSDC
Also canonball did "beat" gladiator. You need to keep in mind that winning for Canonball meant he stayed alive long enough for his friends to get there. It was supposed to be gladiators most powerful blow...no physical force is gonna hurt canonball when he can absorb all it's kinetic energy. It was a technicality type of thing

He lands one punch and he wins? Gladiator wasn't even there to kill him. If you call that a win, then Gladiator won after he knocked Cannonball flying. And are you saying that he tried to kill Cannonball? I highly doubt it was his most powerful blow or that he was trying to kill the X-Men. His Empire is in danger; he needs the X-Men's help - and he's going to kill one of them?

If the X-Men didn't show up, Gladiator would've gotten up and frozen Cannonball with his ice breath. This temperarily held Wonder Man, who broke free only to have Kallark K.O. him. Cannonball ain't in Wonder Man's strength. Thor-girl had a water tower dropped on her and frozen by Gladiator. It took her a while to break free; she's stronger than Sam as well.

And can Cannonball absorb Heat Vision?

Don't have the rest of the issues that followed.

Scoobless
my favourite part is where Sam grabs Gladiator by the cuff and it actually makes the sound *GRAB*........ lol

(part 3-1)

stick out tongue

Wonderman
oh

JWangSDC
haha no one is arguing that gladiator is infinitely more powerful than canonball...but in this issue canonball "kinda" wins. I mean he uses his secret tactic to take Gladiators blow...then messes with his confidence so he can attack him. That's a win.

You must understand that the fight ended there...so it's a win. IF it continued, gladiator would have likely destroyed Canonball. It's like when the FF beat Galactus...whatever you want to say, it's still true. The FF beat galactus. Does this mean the FF is more powerful than Galactus? I think not,.

Originally posted by Beyonder
He lands one punch and he wins? Gladiator wasn't even there to kill him. If you call that a win, then Gladiator won after he knocked Cannonball flying. And are you saying that he tried to kill Cannonball? I highly doubt it was his most powerful blow or that he was trying to kill the X-Men. His Empire is in danger; he needs the X-Men's help - and he's going to kill one of them?

If the X-Men didn't show up, Gladiator would've gotten up and frozen Cannonball with his ice breath. This temperarily held Wonder Man, who broke free only to have Kallark K.O. him. Cannonball ain't in Wonder Man's strength. Thor-girl had a water tower dropped on her and frozen by Gladiator. It took her a while to break free; she's stronger than Sam as well.

And can Cannonball absorb Heat Vision?

Don't have the rest of the issues that followed.

demigawd
Good battle...brings back lots of memories.

Not sure what you tried to prove here, though. The fact remains that Gladiator tried to kill Cannonball...and failed to do so. We already concluded that Gladitator didn't START off the fight trying to kill Cannonball, but that sure is how he finished.

I say Cannonball won that encounter not JUST because of that final blow (though that was the cleanest shot of the entire fight), but because he reversed and countered everything Gladiator did the whole time. He landed the best, cleanest shots.

Like I said - I don't necessarily think Cannonball could win a rematch, but this is clearly a victory in his favor, and I think a pretty realistic one too, given HOW it happened.

The more interesting question is, if Cannonball was able to withstand Gladiator's most powerful blow (I don't buy it being hyperbole...why would Gladiator exaggerate in that context?), his abilities, when fully developed, should basically make him immune to all physical attacks. Including those of Gladiator.

Cosmic Cube
Isn't Cannonball an External? He wins IMO.

demigawd
I think the whole External thing got retconned. Something about copyright infringement with highlander or somesuch.

JWangSDC
the mutants are too pwoerful. SHowing glimpses of omnipotence from time to time

jplatinum
I saw the comic, man.
Gladiator wasn't trying to do nothing to Cannonball.
He was trying to draw the X-men out.
If he wanted to do something, cannonball could hit him at full power all day and it would do nothing to him.
Gladiator could have killed him by thumping him hard, for god's sake.

demigawd
We all saw the comic, man. It's posted above.

Tried that already. Didn't really work out for him, did it?

Beyonder
Originally posted by demigawd
We all saw the comic, man. It's posted above.

Tried that already. Didn't really work out for him, did it?

laughing More of your nonesense huh? Man Sam took that Heatvision like noth...out wait he didn't. roll eyes (sarcastic) Gladiator wasn't pulling out his other powers.

demigawd
Ain't my fault your hero's an idiot and didn't think to do anything but be a brick. He tried to kill Sam by punching him...it didn't work, his little complex reared its ugly head again, and he got punked for it.

That is all.

laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.