"Remember my last, Petunia.." What does this mean??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

d'wittymudblood
In the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix..
we can read about this statement..
In Harry Potter 5, Scholastics Press, Chapter 2 - Peck Of owls, page 40 of the book, states this... "Remember my last, Petunia.."
This statement comes from a howler sent to Aunt Petunia..
Well, i just wanna know what does this mean??
It's not really clear to me what's all this about..
and besides, who was the one who send this to Aunt Petunia..??
I think it's Dumbledore.. (my classmates and friends think so..)
but then, we're not sure..
Help me on this thing please...

sugar&sweet
yea that wat i thought , but wat buggs me is "last"what?

Clovie
i've read somewhere (no cure where though) that Dumbledore and Petunia have met previously..
it was something like she wanted to get rid of harry, and he said that she has to take care of him coz otherwise something will happen..(i really don't remember exactly embarrasment)
and something like that..
i didn't help much sad

sugar&sweet
yea i read somthin like that. doesnt it say in da book?

Clovie
i think it was in comments...for sure in the book, but it might have been translator's addition

dark1365
It means "Remember my last letter, Petunia.".

impatientinky
yup, Jk was asked that question in her last poll.....that was the one she answered. the howler was from DD and he was telling her to remember his last letter. that also means that there were more letters before the one that was left with baby harry at their door. if you like i could try to find her answer and post it smile.....unless that was good enough .....tried to explain it the best i remembered.

RoguePw25
yeah more info please. That would be great! But that makes sense. . . .but now the question is, what did the other letters say? I've always wondered why Petunia kept Harry, I mean since she hates him so much, there has to be something that made her keep Harry.

impatientinky

air
the reason she kept harry was because of the contents of the letter that Dumbledore left on the doorstep in the first book, he explain in OofP harry needs to return to Privet drive at least once a year in order to kinda re boost the protection also petunia is the last blood relation of lily and this has something to do with the spell, thats why petunia took harry in to protect him, even though she may hate him, i think hates a bit strong though, i think more scared and jealous? hope that makes sense big grin

d'wittymudblood
so, clearly.. "remmber my last.." is referring to the letter Dumbledore left on the Dursley's doorstep..
well, things get nearly clear to me.. thanks...

raenef v
JKR's leaves hints for upcoming plots in each book....
i think that the "Remember my last, Petunia" is one of those hint

*whisper* secretly i think that Harry is related to dumbledore!*stops whispering*

actually i'm playing on that for my story in the general fic section!

carne
it was dumbledore read the end of the book again. harry asks dumbledore that

impatientinky
Originally posted by raenef v
JKR's leaves hints for upcoming plots in each book....
i think that the "Remember my last, Petunia" is one of those hint

*whisper* secretly i think that Harry is related to dumbledore!*stops whispering*

actually i'm playing on that for my story in the general fic section!

another rumour JK already dismissed big grin . if i looked long enough i could probably find it on her site, i'm sure i read that DD and harry are not related. but it would be good in a fic anyway smile

air
yeah Harry's not related to dumbledore, why would he go lie with aunt petunia if he did, hes not related, by blood anyways...........

DanFan4000
we'll find out soon... the anwser, ya know...

impatientinky
oh come on stick out tongue you say that in every thread........it's so much fun trying to figure out what is going to happen, discussing what has already happend and coming up with new theories! well, what do you think is up with petunia, DanFan?

air
i think that perhaps petunia is the opposite of a squib!? if thats possible and perhaps she developed powers after the age off eleven (because to get into Hogwarts you have to show a magical ability before the age of 11!) i dunno..............

~Air Angel~
I often thought that too air...that maybe she developed her powers to late....or maybe she had them but never acted. There has to be some greater resentment for her sister's wizardry talents! She can't just despise her...maybe she was jealous b/c Lily got her letter and then Petunia developed it when she was much older.

B/C I know Neville BARELY made it in time to go to hogwarts and his parents were wondering if he was going to develop his powers in time...then the trip out the window helped him in the end.

AA

danagrint
I get it know

div
i think that petunia likes and cares for harry as a person , but the dislike and hate which he recieves from her is because of what he is and what he stands for..i think petunia was very jealous of her sisters gift and that she developed hatred for her sister because of her magic ...
i think dumbledore told petunia what magic was in place in her blood and she agreed to keep him as she likes him as a person but not for what he is or what he stands for ( a wizard)

scurran
his last letter

shaber
It's a standard epistolary term for "my last letter" ie referring to the other letter Dumbledore sent to the Dursleys. The Howler though is not very substantial!

Dumbledore should at the very least have checked up on Harry now and again. It is clear that Ms Figg didn't really know what she was doing and she couldn't have intervened anyway, since she was a squib. I would rather have taken my chances with possible attempts by wrathful Death Eaters to exact vengeance than live with the Dursleys yes

shaber
Originally posted by div
i think that petunia likes and cares for harry as a person ,

No she doesn't, this is made very clear.

div
she despises him for being related to her sister and for being a wizard but there are times in the books that it has been said she cares i remember atleast in one of the books it sez something like "for the first time in her life she looked at harry as if she cared" something along those lines tho not exact

Saratn
yea, but was it really clear that she was in touch with Dumbledore all along?

div
gd point?? she may have more contact with the magical world than is first thought!

The Phantom
Have we heard my Dudley being a wizard idea for an answer yet? If not, here it is. Now before you go telling me off I'm going off topic, i'm not, just read this whole thing. Of course, I think Dudley is a wizard, but Dumbledore put a memory charm on Dudley so he can't do magic and so that Dudley seems like a normal child in exchange for Petunia keeping Harry. Now, this is only a thought. If JKR already turned down the idea of Dudley being a wizard, don't yell at me because I don't know if she did or not.

babysooner13
Does anyone read the books well?

The Phantom
Originally posted by babysooner13
Does anyone read the books well? Why?

Saratn
good question.
i do...
you know it could mean like something that isn't even related to Harry at all. it could be that Petunia is a witch, or squib, and she knows Vernon hates Harry and his kind, so Dumbleodore could have done this as some sort of black mail so Petunia would keep Harry.

The Phantom
Originally posted by Saratn
good question.
i do...
you know it could mean like something that isn't even related to Harry at all. it could be that Petunia is a witch, or squib, and she knows Vernon hates Harry and his kind, so Dumbleodore could have done this as some sort of black mail so Petunia would keep Harry. It is either her or Dudley that has to deal with that letter. They are really the only ones related to any type of magic through blood.

Saratn
yep. that is a very good theory.

Tank115
i agree

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.