Psychology on KMC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FeceMan
This thread would be better titled "Psychology and Me on KMC", but I figured that it was too long and the rhyme made it sound rather stupid.

Anyhow, I'm writing this because of the "Violence in Video Games" thread. In it, I'm basically treated patronizingly and like a moron for talking about psychology. (Obviously I know nothing about which I speak.) Because I spoke of psychology in a manner that went against others' points of view, I was immediately attacked with insults and Googled information. Guess what? Since my knowledge is all prior and I don't have to type in "violence in videogames psychology" into a search engine, click on the nearest link that has information supporting my point of view, and either copy-paste it into the thread or provide a link to it, I'm going to count my learning a little higher than a random website.

Now, I guarantee that, if I cited a psychological experiment that showed that Christians were actually more morally corrupt than non-Christians, almost no one would bother to check the information to see if it was true. I also guarantee that if you substituted "FeceMan" for "Adam PoE" in the name area, no one would have insulted me.

confused

And this was my rant right before I leave for back home.

debbiejo
I'll have to and read the threads...But that's true people are too judgment. Especially when you are the lone person..I wonder if it's learned behavior, maybe in school where they haven't grown up yet and don't know how to think for themselves, so they follow the group like a pack.

lil bitchiness
Having a controversial point of view is risky, because today people say what they think will be what the majority wants to hear, even if they do not necessarily agree with it.

Clovie
i'm always saying what i think
and if they don't agree i don't care erm

botankus
Originally posted by FeceMan
Now, I guarantee that, if I cited a psychological experiment that showed that Christians were actually more morally corrupt than non-Christians, almost no one would bother to check the information to see if it was true. I also guarantee that if you substituted "FeceMan" for "Adam PoE" in the name area, no one would have insulted me.

You've been a KMC member since July 2004 and you're just figuring this out????

I looked at your Violence in Video Games thread. That wasn't that bad. If you really want to get blown off the internet, try starting a thread entitled any of the following:

** A problem I have with Canada
** I'm Glad Bush was Elected
** Christianity is Good
** Liberals are Idiots

BackFire
Fece, the reason you were getting agressive posts directed at you was because of the WAY you were presenting your opinions, you weren't backing it up with reason, and you were saying it was fact, when it wasn't, and that everyone else was wrong. It's a horrible way to argue, saying what you are saying is a fact because of a study you read somewhere.

Also, to assume everyone else in the thread had no prior knowledge and googled everything to get their ideas is stupid. A lot of people subscribe to video game magazines, many of these magazines have numerous valid articles about violence in video games and how/if they do actually cause real life violence. The articles are generally well written and have evidence from studies that support the information they are giving. I'm one of these people who subscribe to numerous video gaming magazines, and have read a large number of these articles way before "googling" anything. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Also, Adam Poe was getting retorts to his arguments as well, the reason why the people were more hostile to you was because of the way you presented your opinions, he gave what he believed by providing evidence and studies, you just said "No, i saw a study once, you're wrong if you disagree". Sloppy argumentative tactics.

FeceMan
First off, everything I said was a fact. We'll probably never agree on this, but I'm not citing one random study; I'm talking about a variety of studies on observational learning.

Think of it this way: if I were to argue that homosexuality is genetic because of one study--which is exactly what Adam did--there would be no turmoil whatsoever. None. (At least not on the points that you stated.)

Secondly, I cannot help it if something is a fact and someone says otherwise. If I were to say that the sun orbits the Earth, you guys would be like, "Wtf? Everyone knows that's not true!" If another is to argue a psychological concept that has been proven, I am like, "Wtf? I know that's not true!" But, since not everyone here takes psychology courses, this knowledge isn't common knowledge like the Earth orbiting the sun bit.

Thirdly, I'm not saying that everyone has no prior knowledge about psychology, but too often I see articles pulled from the Internet that someone pulled from a search engine. Sure, you can learn some stuff in the thirty seconds it takes to glean all the information from an article, but applying oneself to a course on psychology gives a more concrete knowledge about everything.

BackFire
See, that's the thing, it's not a fact.

As, I believe, AC stated, a fact is something that can't be denied, this is not one such thing. There are studies that say what you are saying, BUT, there are also studies that show evidence as teh exact oposite. Thus, it is not a fact, either way.

You state something that adam did, however, there's a difference between giving evidence and some research to back up an argument, which is what he did, and simply saying that because some research shows something that it's automatically a fact, which you did. He never once claimed anything he said was fact, merely gave examples of research to back up his opinion on the topic. You, however, threw around the word "fact" where it didn't belong, that is the difference between you two. He never did that.

Jackie Malfoy
We need to respect people alot better when debateing.JM

KharmaDog
It is funny who people in this forum do choose to rally around though. There are some people on here who are absolutely full of crap yet all their minions back them up on whatever they say.

Then there are other people (who I often may disagree with) who say something intelligent yet no one will acknowledge it because they don't like that person.

There is often a "high school" mentality on this board that often makes the debates nothing more than a popularity contest.

However, there are some intelligent and witty people who come here and say interesting things and have interesting views and that is why I keep coming back.

botankus
Originally posted by KharmaDog
There is often a "high school" mentality on this board that often makes the debates nothing more than a popularity contest.

Jackie for Class President!! Happy Dance

Alpha Centauri
People on here just get jealous of others intelligence easily, to be honest.

Too many people go into debate preaching about how it's "just debate" and to respect points, but are quick to turn playground after catching a spanking.

-AC

Clovie
Originally posted by botankus

I looked at your Violence in Video Games thread. That wasn't that bad. If you really want to get blown off the internet, try starting a thread entitled any of the following:

** Christianity is Good

but it is good blink

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
People on here just get jealous of others intelligence easily
-AC

Or frustrated with other's lack-there-of.

botankus
Even though 95% of what's posted in the GD forum is nothing more than subjective opinions.

KharmaDog
Yes the word "fact" does get thrown around pretty loosely around here.

Lana
I think part of it is that most people don't know what a fact actually is. I know in the evolution thread we've had to explain the differences between a law and a theory many many times.

IceWithin
People on here just get jealous of others intelligence easily, to be honest.

Too many people go into debate preaching about how it's "just debate" and to respect points, but are quick to turn playground after catching a spanking.

-AC

I dont mean anyone in particular but some ppl here in KMC think they are too intelligent, more than they really are

lil bitchiness
Even though 95% of what's posted in the GD forum is nothing more than subjective opinions. Yes. People do not like to think of opinions as subjective, which is where many arguments arise.

pr1983
This thread was only made because of another one, its completely pointless...

Psychology at best is not fact, why? because for every study that says one thing there is a study that says the opposite, simple as that...

It may be a highly respected opinion, but its still that, opinion...

as for this group mentality, sure it exists, it exists in all walks of life.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by IceWithin
I dont mean anyone in particular but some ppl here in KMC think they are too intelligent, more than they really are

Amen brother!

Alpha Centauri
Or frustrated with other's lack-there-of.

Understandable though. Personally I can see how people with more than a singular brain neuron would get annoyed with the amount of morons on this board. Personally, I don't get frustrated by anyone on here but I can understand why people would.

Originally posted by IceWithing

I completely agree.

-AC

Lana
Understandable though. Personally I can see how people with more than a singular brain neuron would get annoyed with the amount of morons on this board. Personally, I don't get frustrated by anyone on here but I can understand why people would.

-AC

I'm guilty of getting utterly frustrated at people on here...but I have a very short fuse stick out tongue

FeceMan
Hmm.

Would you deny that it is a fact that, when bred properly, Rottweilers are a friendly, family-friendly dog? Probably not, as the American Kennel Association doesn't.

However, there will always be some Rottweilers who, though they are bred to be the kindest, most gentle dogs, are savage bastards who would like nothing better than to tear apart another living creature.

One would be inclined to think, "Well, then it's not a fact!", 'it' being that properly bred Rottweilers are family-friendly animals. The AKA, however, would be inclined to disagree even though there are exceptions to the rule.

That's how it is with psychology.

P.S. Sorry to pick on you, Adam, but you seem to be one of the people who is "into" psychology as much as I am.

Philosophicus for teh win!

pr1983
Originally posted by FeceMan
Hmm.

Would you deny that it is a fact that, when bred properly, Rottweilers are a friendly, family-friendly dog? Probably not, as the American Kennel Association doesn't.

However, there will always be some Rottweilers who, though they are bred to be the kindest, most gentle dogs, are savage bastards who would like nothing better than to tear apart another living creature.

One would be inclined to think, "Well, then it's not a fact!", 'it' being that properly bred Rottweilers are family-friendly animals. The AKA, however, would be inclined to disagree even though there are exceptions to the rule.

That's how it is with psychology.

P.S. Sorry to pick on you, Adam, but you seem to be one of the people who is "into" psychology as much as I am.

Philosophicus for teh win!

We weren't talking about rotweillers, we were talking about the effect (or lack of) video games have on people's minds...

moviejunkie23

** A problem I have with Canada
** I'm Glad Bush was Elected
** Christianity is Good
** Liberals are Idiots

sorry that was an old post but i just have to say that was hysterical and OH so true!!! DOn't forget "the religeon of Islam promotes violence" too that will get ya hate posts reeeaaalll fast laughing

Ou Be Low hoo
What do you expect when the majority of the members here are 15 years old?

moviejunkie23
i don't know there are allot of people in their late teens and early twenties here, its not THAT bad

pr1983
Originally posted by Ou Be Low hoo

and there are plenty of nice people that are in their mid teens...

Ou Be Low hoo
I'm not saying that there aren't...I'm just saying that you shouldn't expect children to fully grasp adult topics.

When a mid-teenager doesn't understand something he/she simply reverts to stereotype..."Don't care...You are...Uh, I'm so angry...Uh...You're stupid...Uh, uh, uh, uh, uh...".

botankus
When a mid-teenager doesn't understand something he/she simply reverts to stereotype..."Don't care...You are...Uh, I'm so angry...Uh...You're stupid...Uh, uh, uh, uh, uh...".

Yes, and don't forget the smilies.

pr1983
I'm not saying that there aren't...I'm just saying that you shouldn't expect children to fully grasp adult topics.

Yes, and don't forget the smilies.

i agree...

Capt_Fantastic
Jackie for Class President!! Happy Dance

One has to at least know which class they belong before they can be elected president. Clearly, you understand this.

Hey man, you and I both know that ignorance is not a matter of age.

As for the original post: Feceman, you're a cool guy, capable of understanding someone else's point of view. Don't get too bogged down. Stand up for what you believe. And never let anyone tell you you are inferior. That's when you should pull out the heavy guns. But always remember, there are heavier guns out there, when you are talking out of your ass. Just don't speak out of your ass. And you'll have all the suport you can handle....myself included. Fight the good fight, and no one will argue with you

blalocklover
Personally I think Fece is right here and that pisses me a little because it's a meta-thread, and a good one. At the violence thread I disagree, and here I was dissaponted by the dogs reference (don't expect "" from this point, but it will be needed), but... I love the discussion about how difficult is to dig a core of "established" opinions as it was the case for the thread mentioned. The demographic aspect It's irrelevant because it's quite difficult to guess the age of somebody just loooking some people's posts (it's possible I know but quite near to random guessing) yes you can check it

Dwarfdude
Here here FeceMan.

I try to keep myself relatively non-bias...However there are quite a few narrow-minded people on these forums, that tend to always disagree with something that's not their own personal opinion. But when it comes to psychology, I'm mostly lost, unless your talking about the mentality of humans...For example, when I stated facts about how the world would end, all of them true (e.g. an asteroid will come dangerously close to the earth in the year 2023), one person, the topic-starter no less, said, and I quote "Lol, thats cool. A bit far-fetched though"...I ask you, the asinine ignorance of some people will never cease to amaze
me.

But that's another story.

In short, I agree with FeceMan.

FeceMan
Said class is, euphemistically put, lower.

Trickster

I completely disagree.
That in itself is an example of a total opinion presented as fact!

Darth Odious
It is funny who people in this forum do choose to rally around though. There are some people on here who are absolutely full of crap yet all their minions back them up on whatever they say.

Then there are other people (who I often may disagree with) who say something intelligent yet no one will acknowledge it because they don't like that person.

However, there are some intelligent and witty people who come here and say interesting things and have interesting views and that is why I keep coming back. I like this guy.

KharmaDog
embarrasment awe schucks

botankus
^^ Yep, he's the man.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.