Flash: Powers & Abilities

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

nigel45
This is constantly an issue in the Comic Book Vs. forum, so I thought it would be nice to dedicate a thread to the matter.

What can Flash do? Better yet, what can't he do? I'm leaving this up to you all to keep going. If you believe certain abilities of his are questionable, talk about it.

I for one am trying to "research" (I use the term very loosely) Flash's presumed ability to vibrate through people, thereby making them explode. Feel free to give your thoughts on that topic or any other related to Flash's powers.

While you may value your opinion, don't expect others to. Try to have some sort of reference to back them up.

Blair Wind
I personaly think that he can vibrate through people and make them explode....i mean he can vibrate through a wall and with control he wont make it explode....but i heard that he lost control and then things started to explode...i think he can because all things are molecules and if he can vibrate through the molecules in a wall why cant he vibrate through a persons molecules???? and didnt one of the flash's go through a person without having them explode??? but since so many people hate this aspect of his power(or as i should say, maybe part of his power) i started not using it for fights since they got mad...just my opinion.

nigel45
I use to believe the same things you do, but as it always seems to be, I do not know of any kind of proof of this.

Here's another thought that just occurred to me; what do you think Flash's reaction speed is? Is it documented? I know that it is definitely within his ability to react after bullets are fired and take measures to stop them, but can he go even faster? I think people overestimate and say it's the speed of light/faster than thought. Any opinions?

Blair Wind
well i would actually say it is....and its not even becuase he move that fast....thats just him moving, but i think he can react faster than thought and as fast as light becuase of the way he persieves the world around him at that speed...he sees things MUCHHHHH slower...a perfect example....have you seen spiderman the movie? well in the first one when tha guy puches pete....and pete sees it in slowww motion.....no imagine that but its so slow that you barely see the guy...its sorta like clockstoppers....i know the movie wasnt all that but since i had to watch it i thought this is what it must feel like for the Flash....and i have no idea if its documented....

Cosmic Cube
Flash's perception is actually very blurred when he's running. In one issue, Flash is running past Mount Rushmore, and all he sees is a blur. This could impede his perception of the world around him thus slowing his reaction time. I doubt his thought travels at lightspeed when running. He can only approach lightspeed. I know his though is sufficient to dodge bullets, lasers, etc., but I think it's often overestimated.

nigel45
I would agree with that. Though I also doubt he thinks and or reacts at exactly the speed of light, it can't be significantly lower than that, or he would have ALOT of problems.

outavodka
Flash is soo fast, during RELATIONS he could please himself then his woman friend well over 30 times.

nigel45
Well, now that THAT debate is settled...

Blair Wind
go here
http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/intro.html#powers
its were i usually go if I dont have the comics, for the flash. It is a very thorough guide to the flash but the link i put is to his powers. check it out.

David Duchovony
I would think he percieves time being frozen when he is at light speed (remember at nigh light speed a nanosecond would be like several years to The Flash), so he won't be tripping over any pebbles and should not be seeing any blurs while he is running at intense velocities. He should also be able to think at light speed since he reacts and moves at light speed. If his brain did not process movement at these speeds he would die by slamming into a building or some other object.

pr1983
Originally posted by David Duchovony
I would think he percieves time being frozen when he is at light speed (remember at nigh light speed a nanosecond would be like several years to The Flash), so he won't be tripping over any pebbles and should not be seeing any blurs while he is running at intense velocities. He should also be able to think at light speed since he reacts and moves at light speed. If his brain did not process movement at these speeds he would die by slamming into a building or some other object.

i agree... his mind would have to be in tune with his body...

Blair Wind
which is why he is so powerful...prep time in his hands is in my humble opinion worse than prep for Doom.

manjaro
ok in the laters JLA TPB(entitled Pain of the gods) flash let MM and Batman know that he sees everything in slow motion(when they were investigating the family with super powers.

for direct proof that flash can vibrate thru molecules check Flash:dead heat when he, garrick, impulse, johnny quick,MAx mercury, johnny quick's daughter and another speddster ent up aginst Savitar. he was using it as an offensive when they were battling in Savitar's temple.

in fact the vibrating molecule thing isnt new to DCU cuz whenver i watch the old episodes of the Flash(circa 1966) on The Boomerang Network thats how he gets out of his office or his house, he just puts on his suit and vibrates thru the wall, so this has been around for a while

i think its for the sake of making them unique all the flashes have some attribute the others dont eg.

Max Mercury-so in tune with the speed force, he knows when someone enters or leaves,plus he can track any speedster by following residual traces of the speed force

Garrick- pretty much the same as MAx but his right eye lights up like Cable or X-man whenver the speed force wall is breached, and i think he can read energy sigs to know which speedster it was that did it

Barry- the first one to master time travel, and vibrate molecules for various effects

IMpulse- vibrate thru objects without making them explode, and those scouting ghosts of himself he can send in the future.

Wally-time travel without the treadmill, add and steal speed, and of course vibrating thru stuff and making them explodesmile

nigel45
Manjaro, very interesting info there. I'll have to check out the issue(s) you mentioned.

Just so I'm 100% clear though, was Flash was using the vibration technique to cause living beings to explode?

Cosmic Cube
Originally posted by outavodka
Flash is soo fast, during RELATIONS he could please himself then his woman friend well over 30 times.

I don't know about that. The friction would probably kill her.

Cosmic Cube
Originally posted by manjaro
ok in the laters JLA TPB(entitled Pain of the gods) flash let MM and Batman know that he sees everything in slow motion(when they were investigating the family with super powers.

for direct proof that flash can vibrate thru molecules check Flash:dead heat when he, garrick, impulse, johnny quick,MAx mercury, johnny quick's daughter and another speddster ent up aginst Savitar. he was using it as an offensive when they were battling in Savitar's temple.

in fact the vibrating molecule thing isnt new to DCU cuz whenver i watch the old episodes of the Flash(circa 1966) on The Boomerang Network thats how he gets out of his office or his house, he just puts on his suit and vibrates thru the wall, so this has been around for a while

i think its for the sake of making them unique all the flashes have some attribute the others dont eg.

Max Mercury-so in tune with the speed force, he knows when someone enters or leaves,plus he can track any speedster by following residual traces of the speed force

Garrick- pretty much the same as MAx but his right eye lights up like Cable or X-man whenver the speed force wall is breached, and i think he can read energy sigs to know which speedster it was that did it

Barry- the first one to master time travel, and vibrate molecules for various effects

IMpulse- vibrate thru objects without making them explode, and those scouting ghosts of himself he can send in the future.

Wally-time travel without the treadmill, add and steal speed, and of course vibrating thru stuff and making them explodesmile

All true. We might see Flash flying in one of his comics, some day. Jessie has that power.

I've always known Flash can vibrate through objects. I just never saw him vibrate through a person. Even if he could, I doubt he'd want to.

nigel45
Originally posted by Cosmic Cube
I've always known Flash can vibrate through objects. I just never saw him vibrate through a person. Even if he could, I doubt he'd want to.

Probably not a very cleanly ordeal.

Blair Wind
ok...im placing this back on page one cuz i have a question....we all know that wally can steal speed throught he use of the speed force right? now does that mean that he can steal ALL kinetic energy from anyone? then how could he be beat? he wouldnt even have to fight...just stop them.....frozen in time....cuz i had a multiple man vs flash thread and thats what they said.... just askin....oh and nigel i think ima take your idea on this one and do a thread on someone who's powers have been around for a while but never fully understood.

Blair Wind
no one?

nigel45
To be honest, I know very little about Flash's ability to "steal speed". I don't know it's limits or how it can be used.

And Blair Wind, which characters powers are you going to talk about?

manjaro
yes the flash can steal all kinetic energy from any object so long as it is motion. plus he can do that to make himself go faster, the same way that NASA designs space ships to use the earth's gravity to sling shot into outer space, not that he would need to do that or anything, but still...

Blair Wind
iceman....why? cuz there are soo many possiblities.....i mean he has powers that he used like once then never used....i wanna know more about his powers and what others think......and maybe theroies about what he could potientely do if he ever had full control of his powers

nigel45
I was just curious, it doesn't really matter.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.