what's with the "L"?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

alexanderluthor
i don't know why the "L" is so important in superman universe, first you have LL lana lang, or LL lex luthor, or LL lois lane, now in smallville LL lionel luthor, also you have L in jor-el, Kal-el can anybody tell me what's with the "L"? Happy Dance

TheFanboy
And don't forget Lori Lemaris, Superman's mermaid girlfriend from college. smile

neo7822
i guess the creators were triing 2 be creative

ayjay
they had a thing for alliteration....Clark Kent, Lois Lane bla bla...i guess it made them easy to remember?

alexanderluthor
so no one really knows????

ayjay
nope...you'd have to ask the creator of Superman...

sylvanelf
Alliteration with character names in comics is quite common.

Clark Kent
Lois Lane
Lana Lang
Lori Lemaris
Lex Luthor

Bruce Banner

Doctor Doom

J. Jonah Jameson

Killer Croc

Martian Manhunter (J'onn Jones)

Matt Murdock (DareDevil)

Peter Parker

Reed Richards

Scott Summers

Silver Sable

Silver Surfer

Warren Worthington

Wonder Woman

and many, many others.

CaptainAmerica
What's with all the man? Super-Man. Bat-Man. Spider-Man. Aqua-Man. I could go on and on. AAAAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. sorry. I'm a jerk.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by CaptainAmerica
What's with all the man? Super-Man. Bat-Man. Spider-Man. Aqua-Man. I could go on and on. AAAAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. sorry. I'm a jerk.

Well what do you want them to put at the end? Super-Dude, Bat-Bro, Aqua-gentleman.

But yes they could be a little more original

dawsey28
There you go.

http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/Superman/superman-phonebooth.gif

Darth-Todd
I watched an interview with Stan lee once where he was asked the same questions:

Peter Parker
Reed Richards
Bruce Banner
Betty Brant
JJ Jameson

etc...

He said it was because he had so many ideas floating around he just tried to make them simple and easy to remember

alexanderluthor
tanx

Kainreaver
In the bible, anything with the sound "El" at the end of their name means "Of God". the angels are named "Michael" Gabriel" Raphiel". Possably the creators of superman knew this and made it part of the Kryptonian names.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Kainreaver
In the bible, anything with the sound "El" at the end of their name means "Of God". the angels are named "Michael" Gabriel" Raphiel".

that's actually very interesting..... is it true?

alexanderluthor
Originally posted by Scoobless
that's actually very interesting..... is it true?

it is, and since superman is almost like a copy of the mesias... it's very likeable angel

DarkAge
Adrian means "Dark One". My first two names are Adrian Michael... so I guess I'm The Dark One of God? That's pretty cool.

pr1983
From A Superman site...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.