Spider-Man 90s animated Series

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SpyCspider
In terms of storyline, what did you like/hate the most?

I was pissed off MJ was a clone and the final episode left us hanging as to where and how Spider-Man was going to find her.

I think the whole Neogenic Nightmare storyline rocked.

Red Superfly
I think the whole series had some great ideas, but was let down by several things that bothered me.

1. No guns, LASERS! WHY!?! As a kid watching this, even then I felt patronised.

2. The animation gradually got worse, I don't know why. Compare the fluid superb animation of the first Lizard story, to something like the MJ Hydro Clone or Carnage saga.

3. The Green Goblin came AFTER the Hobgoblin? I know its an adaptation but come on!

4. It helped get that awful Spidey Unlimited toon on TV.

However, when it was around I absolutely loved it. The stories were great (for kids) and they werent just rehashes of the comics.

I think my favourite storyline had to be the first Venom, the one where Spidey sends the symbiote into space. The first Scorpion and Lizard sagas came close. The Morbius saga was also well done.

The Goblin IMO was awful in the cartoon. I hated him. Comics? great! Cartoon? baaaad. I did like the one where Harry went loopy though.

I also like how they explained the cartoon universe was a seperate reality running next to the comics and OUR world in that episode with six Spideys. There was one based on the comics Peter Parker (Ben Reilly and Spider Carnage), one where he was like Bruce Wayne a millionaire, a couple of other random ones and an ACTOR who played Spiderman from THIS world where he's a fantasy character - at the end he meets Stan Lee, pretty cool.

Mr Parker
Yeah I thought the whole lasers thing was pretty stupid also.

I also noticed the animation got worse.I think its because Stan Lee was involved in some of the animation in the first year and thats why after he left the first season,both the storys and animation got worse.

The Green Goblin coming after hobgoblin I think was a reasonable change though and did not mind that.I also loved the first venom story in the first season.I disagree though that the goblin was done bad in the cartoon,he was awesome,now the goblin from the movie was an inexcusable and stupid looking villian.

This cartoon had potential and I would say the first season holds up as the best incarnation of spidey since it to date is the most loyal adaptation we have had so far,but it began to suck after the first season having spidey main foes become 2nd rate lackeys working for the kingpin with most the storys revolving around the kingpin,that ruined the series.Plus no betty brant or Gwen stacy which was inexcusabel.

The whole madame web thing was redicules.

having him grow 8 arms because of getting bit by the spider was pretty stupid.

the bright side was the black cat,she made the show worth sitting through.

Goodness
It rocked really, really hard.

Mr Parker
Oh man,I hated that neo genetic storyline.

Ock
Did you? I really liked it.It was better than the Sins of the father one.Although the 1st season was the best IMO.

punkyhermy
okay, i NEVER even sat through one episode!it sucks...at laest the animation does, for sure!

Red Superfly
^^^ WHAT?

Mr Parker
yeah thats what I have to say WHAT???? confused

Cyclops
The storylines were incredible. The neo genetic thing was great. The sins of the father was good. I loved the Final Episodes with Spider-Carnage and such... the 6 spidermans.

I thought the Carnage stuff was good, but they could have made it more like Maximum Carage. Those 14 comics were amazing.

The Characters, I thought, always looked good. It was a shame that they changed the actual story's as much as they did. I know, they had to. Staying 100% true to stories is tough (look at the Lord of the Rings movies compared to the books.)

Little things should not have changed as much as they did, though. Why did Doc. Conners take the symbiote off of Parker, and not Reid Richards with a little help from Johnny? Things like that...

But, I loved it. I miss it. I wish I could find the series on DVD.

SpyCspider
hey, pssst...u can still d/l episodes off Kazaa or kazaa lite and other P2P sharing software...=P

ehhehee...I have actually EVERY episode on VHS...cuz they kept showing reruns for so long and i decided to make a collection.

I still wonder where MJ is however...that kinda left me hanging. And Felicia never found out who Spidey was! So close!

punkyhermy
i dunno nothing about the story lines, only the animation

SpyCspider
the animation wasn't bad at all...except when they started to rehash a lot of the old digital 3-D footage (as well as old footage in general). If you thought XMen the cartoon's animation was good, then I think Spider-Man was pretty much along the same line...

The first Green Goblin episode, Turning Point, the first Lizard episode, as well as the first Black Cat were just some of the memorable ones, where the art was crisp and clean. They really drew Spidey's agility superbly--if you ever put it on slo mo, u can see all the wonderful flips and twists the artists carefully crafted.

SpyCspider
it's funny cuz if you ask people about Spidey cartoons, most people will remember the jingle "Spiderman, spiderman, does whatever a spider can!" (from the old cartoon)

But if you ask me, I would say "spider blood, spider blood, radioactive spider blood.."

punkyhermy
the x men cartoons, which i never watched either, were a disgrace to animation.They made me wanna weep!!!but the movies rock!

wuTa
nooo way...the x-men cartoons from the 90s were tight

X5452
The best wa probably the last ever episode, it so amazing the story line was great. the reason why there wasn't a gwen stacy was cuz they didn't want to develop a charecter that was eventually killed off, if you noticed felicia (cat) took over the role of ESU student/ good girl that gwen was. Hope that helped wink

MarkofKaine
I loved the 90's cartoon. It's still on on Saturday mornings on ABC Family. That show was amazing. I also loved the old X-Men comics and whoever was dissing these cartoons deserves a swift kick to the teeth. Those shows are classics. I think they need to put both these series on DVD. I know I'd buy them.

SpyCspider
Yup, I liked Marvel when it comes to animation.

PunkyHermy, I know you love Batman and so do I. I loved Batman and the Animated Series (cuz the stories kicked ass!) but the first time I saw the animation, I was deterred....Batman's angular jaw, people with distorted faces, exaggerated features, everything angular. Then I got used to it and actually liked it in some eps (ie, Clayface pt. 2). And then it all came back with the new animation with Tim Drake as Robin. Did you ever see Bane?? Those were the nastiest shoulders I've ever seen. Catwoman became just a shadow with white slits. Partly in the back of my mind I was thinking they were just saving on animation costs--hence, simplifying the lines and just make it all angular. Of course, they called it "a different style...." This trend continued with Superman and now the Justice League. Still awesome stories nonetheless!

The thing about the Marvel cartoons was that the characters were relatively proportional to the way they looked in comics (at one point in time at least) and in real-life and that is what made them more acceptable. I would say Spidey the Animated Series looked like something John Romita drew--correct me if I'm wrong.

SpyCspider
Hey MarkofKaine, try d/ling them off Kazaa Lite or something. Same quality, thanks to all those people who ripped them and put them up. However, if you prefer to watch it in ur DVD player....then of course... =)

SpyCspider
OOO...Gwen Stacy DID appear in the Animated Series. The Spider-Carnage one towards the end (I Really REally Hate Clones?), she was the gf of the armor Spidey. However, she didn't strike me as the Gwen from the comics and not as pretty either. And it was obvious Felicia took over her role and man she was hot. =P

Manja
hi guys,

Question, im lookin for spiderman the animated series dvd's of all 5 seasons. Ive been looking but i couldnt find them. Anyone here know where i can buy them?

Thnx M.

Duo Maxwell
I don't think they've ever been out, just odd episdoes in collection dvds.

Maybe after Batman: The animated series and Batman of the Future come out, they'll reconsider and release them.

I found them all on the net, so I'm happy, only took me 6 years of hutning.

kal-el
I watch the animated series every time its on, coz they rerun the series on fox kids all the time. The crossover with Daredevil was marvelous.It in fact introduced me to DD, whos now my fave charascter.Up to that point It was just superman and spiderman.

Mr Parker
The animated series is back on fox kids? are you sure about that? I know it was on that network for a long time but I wasnt aware that it was back again?

Duo Maxwell
The DD crossover always makes we wonder why DD never got his own series back then. Spidey got 2, X-Men did, FF did, Iron-Man did, so why not DD.

Red Superfly
Daredevil is always over-looked, poor guy.

A Ghost Rider cartoon would be sweet too.

Duo Maxwell
My knowledge of Ghost rider is sadly lacking, anyone have a bio handy for him?

Red Superfly
Noble Kale, born in the 1800s, was the son of a pastor, an abusive man who was secretly in thrall to Mephisto. Noble himself fell in love with a young black girl named Magdelena, who worked for the Quentin Carnival. Because of Magdelena's race, Noble kept his relationship with her a secret from his father for as long as possible. The truth came out, however, when Magdelena gave birth to Noble's son. Pastor Kale, outraged at this, accused Magdelena of witchcraft and had her burned at the stake while Noble was locked away in the basement of Kale's church. Magdelena, with her dying breath, summoned the Furies to take revenge on Pastor Kale and his town. Pastor Kale, fearing for his life, offered Mephisto a deal -- he would give the Lord of Lies his own son's soul in exchange for help. Noble became the avenging spirit of vengeance and banished the Furies. Learning of his father's actions and that Pastor Kale had murdered Noble's son as well, Noble committed suicide. When Mephisto went to claim Noble's soul for eternity, the archangel Uriel appeared and demanded that Noble be spared. The compromise that was reached was this : Noble Kale's soul would be claimed by neither heaven nor hell, but would instead be called upon by his descendants. Thus began the legend of the Ghost Rider.

Daniel Ketch became the Ghost Rider's host after he and his sister Barbara stumbled upon a mob hit. The killer Deathwatch, who feared that they could identify him, ordered them dead. While pursuing their would-be killers, Barbara was shot by an arrow, putting her into a coma. Daniel, who was able to escape, happened upon a motorcycle. Upon touching the motorcycle Daniel transformed into the fiery spirit of vengeance known as Ghost Rider. As Ghost Rider, his personality was completely different, though their personas blended as time went on. The Ghost Rider entity himself lacked memories of his true origins for years, but it was decisively proven that he was not Zarathos, the entity who empowered the Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider. It is now known that his blood line is the only blood line that can trigger the Ghost Rider transformation. Over the course of his tenure as Ghost Rider's host, Daniel met up with his long-lost brother John Blaze (the Ghost Rider of the 1970s and early '80s) and his distant cousin Jennifer Kale.

Red Superfly
Being Ghost Rider constantly put Daniel's family at risk and he frequently sought a way out of his curse. Finally, Daniel went on a mission to Hell in hopes of restoring Ghost Rider's full memories to him. This mission succeeded, revealing that Ghost Rider was in fact Daniel's ancestor Noble Kale. At the climax of this battle, however, Daniel was killed and Noble Kale briefly became ruler of Hell, ruling alongside John Blaze's deceased wife, Roxanne, who had been revived as a demonic entity known as Black Rose.

Shortly thereafter, a confused Ghost Rider reappeared on Earth, running amok. He was seemingly restored to normalcy after Dan Ketch reappeared the two merged again. How Dan was still alive was left unanswered at that time....

One year later, Dan Ketch resurfaced in London. Living with old friends of John Blaze, Dan and the Ghost Rider had come to England based on a strange summoning in their souls. They knew that something terrible was coming and that it would be centered in London, but they weren't sure what it was going to be. Their arrival in London coincided with a sudden assault on many of the world's greatest sorcerors, including Jennifer Kale. These magicians had their souls pulled onto the astral plane, trapped from all Earthly contact.

The empath known as Topaz arrived in London, seeking out Dan Ketch. She warned him that things were coming to a head and enigmatically implied that Dan was living a lie. She forced him to recognize a terrible truth: that Dan Ketch had indeed died in Hell.
According to Topaz, Noble had found the strain of ruling Hell to be too great for him and had sought to escape the responsibilities of it. So, he restored Roxanne Blaze to mortal life and fled back to Earth himself. Lost and confused without a mortal soul to balance his own, he ran amok until his subconscious created a magical simulcra of Daniel Ketch. Powered by the lingering magicks he'd possessed as ruler of Hell, Noble Kale had created an autonomous illusion that had lived the past year alongside the true Ghost Rider.

Red Superfly
Faced with the truth, Noble dissolved the false Daniel and learned that he still needed a human host to remain linked to this world. The magicks of Hell were fading now, after a year on Earth, and he would soon be a bodiless wraith -- unless he bonded with another host. Even though the Kale curse was supposedly broken, Topaz argued that it was best to find another member of the bloodline nonetheless, since a failure could be disastrous.

Using the strange family connection that had bound all of his descendants to him, Noble Kale managed to breach the barrier around the Astral Plane and brought Jennifer back to Earth and to London. There, she was forced to bond with Noble's spirit after Topaz was killed by a revived Blackout. This spilling of innocent blood allowed Ghost Rider to live again.

This new incarnation of Ghost Rider discovered that he had been brought to England to stop a scheme masterminded by his old enemy, Blackheart. The son of Mephisto was posing as the British Prime Minister Clive Winthrop and was attempting to trap all of Great Britain beneath a magic barrier. Ghost Rider united with the British supergroup known as the Pendragons in order to stop this plan, but the heroes succeeded only in destroying Blackheart -- the Black Mass Barrier was erected and the old magicks were restored.

Ghost Rider clashed with a number of foes after that, including Demogoblin, the Fury and a demonic entity called Flay. Eventually, however, Jennifer Kale embarked on a plan to gain more magical ability. Aided by Satana, Jennifer became a servant of Gaea, the Earth Goddess. This had the unforeseen effect of causing a rift between Jennifer and Noble, as the Earth magic was life-based and Noble was an angel of death.

Red Superfly
A group of mystics including John Blaze, Satana and a reborn Topaz managed to separate Noble and Jennifer, saving Jennifer's life. Noble was left floating in the void, until he was summoned back to Earth by the Caretaker and a successor to the identity of Doctor Strange. Noble managed to craft a physical form for himself (similar to the one he used after first arriving in London) and aided Strange in contacting Elsa Bloodstone. The three of them have made a pact for unknown reasons, promising to make sure that the Black Mass Barrier does not come down.

Later still, Noble Kale was reunited with the still-living spirit of Dan Ketch, forming Ghost Rider once more.

Red Superfly
GHOST RIDER (original): Ghost Rider first appeared in Marvel Spotlight #5 (There was a Ghost Rider before this, but he was a stupid Western character and Marvel later changed his name to Night Rider). The Ghost Rider was created when stunt-cyclist John Blaze made a pact with the devil to save the life of a friend. Needless to say, the devil (Mephisto) cheated and John still had to honor his side of the bargain and allow his soul to be merged with a demon named Zarathos. This merging caused John to change to a hellfire-charged being with a flaming skull, The Ghost Rider. The Ghost Rider had the ability to form his own motorcycle out of hellfire, and shoot blasts of hellfire which burned only the soul of the target. He rode across the country, seeking vengeance for murdered innocents by night, while living as John Blaze during the day. The demon was finally trapped in a mystic crystal (called the Soul Crystal) with another villain named Centurious. This finally freed John Blaze and he rode off into the sunset. The first series ended in 1984 (I think) with Ghost Rider volume 1, issue #81. John Blaze re-appeared in Ghost Rider volume 2, issue #14. He was hunting the new Ghost Rider (see below) to make sure that Zarathos wasn't back. During a battle with the new Ghost Rider, Blaze absorbed some of the hellfire from GR's body and was able to channel hellfire through his weapons (a shotgun and a knife). This power came about (we find out later) because he had one of the pieces of a mystic medallion. Anyway, Blaze and Ghost Rider make nice and team up to fight bad guys. A new title is spawned, named Ghost Rider/Blaze: Spirits of Vengeance. This title was cancelled at issue #22. Blaze then appeared solo in a mini-series (Blaze: Legacy of Blood), and in his own series (just called Blaze) which was cancelled at issue #11. (%@&$!)

Red Superfly
Known Superhuman Powers: As the Ghost Rider, Blaze possessed superhuman strength, enabling him to lift (press) about 5 tons, and immunity to must forms of conventional injury. He could create "hellfire" that could harm or traumatize a human soul, and with which he created a fiery motorcycle he rode. Blaze possessed none of these powers in human form.

kal-el
UK fox kids dude. About a DD series.There was going to be a more grown up style cartoon about him apparently but It never got off the ground.Shame

Duo Maxwell
Woah, cheers for the info Red. Shame about the DD series.

VenomVA
I loved Spidey TAS I have them all on VCD. Manja try E-Bay, I remember seeing alot of people selling it on there.

I didn't like them using the same footage over and over or the fact that at times it would get real slow and choppy. I hated how they messed up the last ep of The Six Forgotten Warriors when he was fighting Electro they messed up 2 scenes towards the end when they were trying to get him back in the vortex.

I loved to cross-overs wish there were more. Spider Wars was good, Sins of the Father was Great, Alien Costume was done nice and of course Neogenic Nightmare was the best.

Didn't like how they left it open and didn't let us see him find MJ, that kinda sucked. It was a kick ass series!

I loved Spidey 90
2nd Version of Iron man
X-Men
Hulk
and the Second Version of Fantastic Four
I liked Silver Surfer and hated the fact that they (Fox) just took it off....now that's one that I'm looking for and can't find on the net

Red Superfly
Yeah VenomVA that's pretty much what I thought. I too have them all on CD and I still enjoy watching them (cheers for that Duo Maxwell!). This animated series was only rivalled by the Batman animated series, and only until now with X-Men Evolution and Spawn has there been a better adaptation of a comic into a cartoon.

I'd love to get my hands on all the Batman AS series, but thats another subject entirely.

Batman and Spiderman are my favourite superheroes of all time, I need to complete my collection.

Duo Maxwell
I also can't wait till Batman:TAS and Batman of the Future come out properly on DVD in the next few months, I'll be sure to pass them on again Red.

Apparently July 6th in the states,

Zephonim
I found the first two seasons and am downloadding 3-5 as we spe . . . ah, type. I was never a huge fan of the Neogenic Nightmare. It reminded me too much of the clone saga in the comics, which got me off of them for awhile.
Towrads the end it got a little too much like a soap opera also. Too many people just showed up out of nowhere. The series seemed to rely too much on who was helping Spider-Man as opposed to Spider-Man.
Overall though, I loved the show, and still drop whatever I'm doing if I can find it on TV.

SpyCspider
Felicia turned Cat looked damnnnn sweet for a Fox cartoon....=P

Zephonim
Batman Beyond.

Red Superfly
How did you mean that Zeph? Is it because Duo said something concerning Batman Of The Future?

Yeah, it's called Batman Of The Future over here in UK, and Batman Beyond elsewhere. I have no idea why. It may be called Batman Of The Future elsewhere, I don't know.

Duo Maxwell
Her voice was the main reason she ruled, voiced by Jennifer (I've voiced everything from: "Spider-Man: Unlimted as "Lady Vermin" to "Knights of the Old Republic as "Bastilla" to "Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes as "Dr. Naomi Hunter" to the "Iron Man" series as "Spider-Woman) Hale. Such a great voice, very recognisable though in whatever she does, which means that whenever I hear it I'm reminded of Felicia again. Not a bad thing.

Just looking up the series on IMDB.com, the guy who did Pete's voice in the '90s one (Christopher Daniel Barnes) is starring in a film soon: "Shut up and Kiss Me" and the guy who played Pete/Spidey in Spider-Man "shudder" Unlimited (Rino Romano) is doing the voice of Batman/Bruce Wayne in the upcoming "The Batman" animated series. He was also the voice of Pete/Spidey in the two PSone Spidey games.

Zephonim
That was what I meant. I never even thought about it being called other things in other countries. My self indulgent American ego shining through.

VenomVA
Christopher Daniel Barnes also Played Greg Brady in the 2 Brady Bunch movies big grin He has a kool voice as Spidey...kool voice period

Red Superfly
Yeah, he was a GREAT voice actor.

I was watching the brady bunch movie and it was wierd to see this guy talking like Spiderman!

His lines required him to go through so many emotions, and talk REALLY REALLY fast (because Spiderman always thought/talked to himself and you would hear him), while sounding convincing and clear. He did a great job.

Ghetto Goblin
hey peeps, have any of you seen jetix on abc family, they show spiderman for an hour starting at 10:00am/ 9:00am central. they have been showing the episodes where black cat and spiderman are friends and are dealing with morbius, blade, and blade's vampire mother, but they just started showing the episodes where Harry becomes the green goblin and the punisher accuses Parker of being the GG. It just ended for today (for me at least).

it's pretty cool, although i rather see that MTV version of it, or what ever it's called.happyyes

Duke
Yea, they've been showing the old 70s show, 94, and 99 animated series of Spider-Man for a little over a year now I believe.

Ghetto Goblin
ya, i started watching it at the turn of the summer, or begining if you will.

grey fox
actually they have been showing it on fox kids for 4 years and jetix is a part of foxkids

Ghetto Goblin
sorry. but not for me.

Spiderman_RJ
Re-EDITED

it sucks, they had laser instead of guns, spiderman was never this kind of futuristic hero.
spiderman didnt punch anyone, he just dodge or set a trap , this sucks,
althoug i like the series at the time now i see it with hate in my heart.
the first eps were cool well drawed but as it comes to an end it got really poor, i like the venom space adaptation, that i dont know why they did it since they later on made a ridiculous and unecessary mini secret wars, and the series never ends it lead to ultimate spider or whatever they call that crap, that sucked even bigger.
i wish they hired thea animator from WB from batman ,JLA, to make a spiderman cartoon, inspired in the comics, if they pay them as well as WB and continue to budge high the project , spiderman would finally have a cartoon at his high.(level/ of his desearving) imagine i alwasy wished that, i even wished a spiderman cross over with batman so we could see how spiderman really is, fighting thugs and so on.
but i know this is only dreams since, the made a 3d version that is worse than max steel and transformer, i think even that series of bytes and bits that happened inside the computer is better animated than spiderman mtv one
the only good about the 90 series wsa the great voicing of the cast.
peter parker change eyes colors during the show , at the begining they were brown as comics, and then and all the series they were green, they also betrayed peter personality peter was a dumb stupid, as##le, he was nothing like the comics, the swinging was cool just like u would want to see it. but than at the middle of the series they get use of the same scene for multiple epsodes, i remember the worse thing i saw , was a blade episode.when blade and spidey were talking spider was on a concrete surface, but then when it zoomed he was on a steel surface (i think from a hobgoblin epsode), RIDICULOUS!!!
batman series never re-used a animation or scenerio, also the music were poor and the same all eps.
batman alsway had a new music for every epsode
god dam i wished they had licensed spiderman to warner bros animation studio sad

Spiderman_RJ
actualy fox is jetix now

Ghetto Goblin
do they, and if so, when?, anyways, do they still show that MTV version with real bullets and stuff, or what ever that version is called.

Lenord
Was it just me or did the 90's cartoon spiderman look a bit too old for starting up his advantures, and he didn't look all that much of a geek in the first episode, infact he looked well built and musculer (no glasses ethier). You could have made him blonde and called him Flash.

The animation wasn't bad for the time (considering it was a western animation) unfortunaltly it was during this time that I got into anime and compared to them it was a decade behind.

With all this problems I watched it only sporadicly and the episodes I watched seemed a bit tame and uninteresting.

Mr Parker
That was another one of the problems I had with the 90's show was that they made him look way too muscular and more like a football jock than a normal guy and was as big and muscular as Flash Thompson and they screwed up on drawing him as well drawing him to look more like Nicholas Hammond from the 70's live action show than Peter Parker.At least the 80's cartoon got his look right,they nailed it.why couldnt the 90's animation people? mad also just like the movie did,they screwed up on mj's character making her nice and sweet like Gwen Stacy and nothing at all like Mary Jane.well I am glad the toon is back on again because THAT is the spidey I want to remember,the one with the chemical shooters.

Ironman 66
i liked the final few episodes like the secret wars and stuff i hated how venom and carnage wer only in a few episodes

grey fox
true although it is quite cool when you se what carnage looks lke without his host

Shadow_King
i liked the sinister six episodes and the venom ones. the episodes with his alternate realites one were ok. and the one where spidey had to assemble a team to go against Dr.doom was ok.

Red Superfly
Yeah I agree, I didn't like the fact that every villain, and superhero, all seemed to be the same size.

I always thought they made Spider-Man look WAY too big, and Peter didn't look like Peter much at all. He looked like one of Flash's cronies or something.

Oh well, it was still pretty good.

Spiderman_RJ
they werent same size rhino and venom were prettey tall and shocker was mid size (althogu shocer is a tall person in comics)

Varg6
I honestly loved all of them. I can't wait for the 90's collection to come out..

Spiderman_RJ
Batman TAS and the adventures of batman and robin, and also superman TAS are the greatest cartoon series of all,
spiderman TAS sucks, big time, only now i see how i was cheated

Paola
so spidey TAS is way different from the comics? blink

TheVenomSymbiot
I read an interview online with John Semper (the director), and the official reason they went with the Hobgoblin first was someone retarded was in charge and made alot of stupid descisions, then was fired. When he was replaced, it would've been early enough to replace him with the green goblin, but the problem was the toy for the Hobgoblin had already gone into production. A classic storyline ruined for merchantability (reminds me a little of the movie, but not by much). Given that's what they had to work with, I like the direction they went. I think it's on the "Marvel Animation Age" site (Spider-Man section). And personally, I thought the animation of the X-Men cartoon was inferior to Spider-Man's. But I don't remember it too well, and am going off the "Legend of Wolverine" DVD. And the shameless plug: I did a video of
--------------------------------
------------(static)--------------
--------------------------------
Behold the wooly panda.
-------..ack Spider-Man figh...---------------
The sound of nearby throttling chainsaw startles him.
"Eek! Eek!" says the panda.
----------------------------
------(static)----------------
--------------------------
...the Sickness" on KMD.

Sorry, I just rented the first season of "Space Ghost", and that cracked me up. Anyway, Black Spider-Man, Down with the Sickness on Kazaa.

grey fox
oooooooooooooook wierd but still

Hawkx1
A great idea for Spider-Man 3 would be to add in characters from the 90's Spiderman (i.e Black Cat, Morbius, even Madame Web) either that or a crossover with somebody like as a previous reply stated Batman or Superman.

Spiderman_RJ
not that different like the movie, the origins of villains are a bit different, like black cat using captain american super soldier serum instead of using her acrobatic skills, they took away her bad lucky powers from the comics, and they villains suits were all crap!!!!!!!!! doc octopus was ridiculous, they turned vulture into a life vampire.that series completey sucked, the chameleon was a metamorphos, in the series and used a ridiculous outfit. i HATE THIS TAS

Paola
how's chameleon in the comics?

Red Superfly
What? It was pretty good. Doc Ock looked really silly admitedly.

I actually liked The Vulture being a sort-of vampire, because it added a bit more to the character - and still kept the spirit of The Vulture (i.e. he was preying on the innocent to preserve his youth - like a Vulture scavanges to stay alive). It wasn't that bad.

Black Cat being Captain America#2 was absolutely rediculous though.

And you should see the Chameleon from when he started in the comics -he was just a guy who wore masks!

I never really liked The Chameleon anyway, he's a second-rate Mystique.

Spiderman_RJ
be real that sucked, they took his storyline from the latest spiderman,also i have a comics where he take the life of parkers mother (who was a replica) ,and he turned in like a zombi like, and didnt come back to old since the llife he took was fake and wasnt supose to die, but for my surprise i got a comics where he was old again, and said nothing on why he got old again do u know it?

i know that was my point i like him this way, then after in the comics the repairer ( the fixer whatever u call him, he is the prof pardal of marvel , and is a green alien) makes to chameleon a morphing mechanism,but the morphing was only imagarey, in the cartton he morphed the body, thats what i disliked

Red Superfly
Also, I never like Chameleon, because I always thought "hang on - Mysterio can do the EXACT same thing - and WHOLE LOT more!"

Cool name - but I always compared him to Mysterio, and he made him look rubbish.

Spiderman_RJ
the only thing the save spiderman tas was his swinging, it was just as i imagined when reading the comics

im still wondering how they dared to name the crap CATWOMAN, movie it isnt even selina kile, mad

Red Superfly
I'm not sure exactly why you felt like posting this here, but I 100% agree.

RoguePw25
This ones back on TV! I used to watch it and was so glad when they decidd to put it back on TV~!

I've been following the stories and well . .it's a really good show. I like it.

Paola
I have them all tape recorded happy

just been watching the ep where Spidey brings the FF, Storm, Captain America etc, to fight the Beyonder smile

RoguePw25
ooh, Paola, that was on Saturday and all during the week. I saw all 5 parts, isn't it called something like "Secret Wars" Anyway, it was REALLY good! I was SO glad that Storm was there. I also liked that the Fantastic Four were there too.

Those were some really good episodes.

Paola
yes they were yes

Mane
i downloaded the Secret Wars eps. i love those they are awesome.

Samurai Guy
With the 5 or 6 Spider-Men?

WHEN ARE THESE GOING TO BE RELEASED AS A BOX SET ON DVD?

Paola
eek! Mr Samurai!! notworthy

have no idea no

Samurai Guy
PAS! eek!

HOW ARE YOU!?!?!?!?!? happy

They have "Northern Exposure" on DVD and not Spider-Man 90's series (with Mark Hamill as the Hobgoblin I might add) ranting

Paola
aw! who broke your heart? mad

Lil-Goblin
The show is OK. I was extremely dissapointed with the "Kingpin being the main villain" thing. This what I hated about the show:
1. Lasers? Please buddy! This is New York!
2. The Kingpin thing I already talked about about.
3. Electro's the son of Red Skull?!?!?!?!?!?!
4. They made Norman look like a pansy.
5. Before I read the comics, I hated the Hobgoblin because of this show.
6. Venom's head looked like a pair of butt cheeks. eek!
7. Dock Ock's saga was all wrong.
8. The Lizard was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to human.
9. Gwen Stacy?
10. Beck was not a criminal before he was Mysterio.
11. The animation got sloppier as so did the plots.
12. And More.
This is what I liked about the show:
1. The Goblin battle was pretty cool.
2. Despite the ending, I loved the Spider-Wars.
3. The animation was amazing the first season.
4. Wimpy but cool Scorpian.
5. Neogenic Nightmare was not half bad(even though the Punisher sucked in it).
6. Cool Blade.
7. Nice Morbius
8. Nice touch to Rhino
9. At least the Green Goblin was insane.
10. And more.
So in total 3 and a half/5.

Mr Parker
I have a few agreements and disagreements with you.
the good points.
1.spider sense-totally awesome and is my favorite spidey sense they have done in a spider-man adaptation.Thats why I have that sig at the bottom.
2.spidey using wisecracks when he was in fights with his villians.
3.the music for his fights scenes rocked.
4.Like you said,the animation and the episodes in the first season was awesome.
5.Great 3 part venom episode.One of my faves.
6.The Black Cat.The episodes with the black cat rocked.I liked the change of her having super human powers,it made sense,that way she would be more of a problem for spidey to handle.Just stupid to have her get it from Captain America.
7.Green Goblin episode Turning Point was awesome with Green Goblin taking MJ to the bridge and she falls into the portal device.thats my favorite episode.the storys for the most part in the first season were faithful to the comic.
8.Barnes voice acting was awesome.If only he had done spideys voice for the movies.He sounds every bit the way you expect spidey to sound when he talks.His voice is what really made the spidey cartoons great.the way he expressed himself.
9.I loved how they had him thinking to himself all the time.
10.Ed Asner as JJJ was awesome.

Bad points. 1.the drawing of Peter Parker.Wow they screwed that up big time.That more than anything made this show dissapointing.They drew him to make him look more like Nicholas Hammond from the live action show instead of Peter Parker.I dont see how they could have done such a great job drawing the supporting characters and then screw up on Peter Parker the main character. mad as Bad as the 80's cartoon show was,I would rather watch those episodes over the episodes made after season one since that was about the only thing they did right in that show was they drew Peter Parker correctly on how he is SUPPOSE to look like.
2.Kingpin.Like you mentioned,this show sucked because they ruined it by having The Kingpin being in almost every episode and have all of spideys villians be 3rd rate lackeys working for Kingpin.. mad that more than anything ticked me off about the show even more than how they drew peter parker.
3.Way too much Morbius.Instead of having more episodes devoted to a character like THE GREEN GOBLIN,they had way too many episodes about Morbius.Sorry but Id rahter see more episodes that they should have used for his arch enemy the green goblin than all these episodes about Morbius and other 2nd rate lackeys such as THE SPOT.Rhino could have been one for instance instead of being a 2nd rate lackey working for the kingpin.
4.The Lizard.They did not properly develop the lizard,he had one fight scene with spidey in the first season and that was it,again,a missed opportuinty to include major villians to continue to fight instead of having many of them devoted to 2nd rate thugs such as Morbius and Tombstone.They over did it on those two villians.
5.No gwen stacy.
they messed this show up by not including gwen in the show as a regular character.When they did in the final episode,,she was not at all pretty like Gwen is suppose to be either.No Betty Brant as well
6.Mary Jane-just like the movies,the cartoon showed screwed up her character as well making her character more like gwen stacy,nice and kind when she is suppose to be an air head and flakey b!tch.
7.Flash did not hate Peter like he is suppose to.The first season they showed how he did not like Peter parker but after that,they had him be too nice to him and did not show how he hates peter but loves spidey after the first season. whcih they should have done a lot more of.
8.Black Cat as I mentioned earlier,as much as I liked the change of Black cat having super strength,I did not like it how they did not have her have any back luck spells that she always used on spidey in the comics.
9.why couldnt they have had MARY JANE love spidey but only like pete as a friend? that sucked.thats how it should have been in the movies as well. mad
10.too many repeated scenes.in too many epidoes they always showed scenes that happened from previous episodes.totally stupid.
11.laser guns.as I already mentioned that was stupid as well.
12.Elecktro-also already mentioned was having ELECKTRO be the son of the red skull.Unbelieveable.Then they gave him powers that rivaled supermans.unbelievable.

Even though the 90's spidey show was the best adaptaion of any spidey medium so far,it was still dissapointing because of those reasons mentioned and I wonder if by the time they make a great spidey cartoon,I will be an old man by that time.This show had the potential to be a kick ass spiderman cartoon because some episoeds were really done well and very touching,but they screwed it up too badly because of the reasons mentioned. mad I wish the team that did the batman animated 90's series had done the spiderman cartoon because they understood the batman mythos.The team that did the 90's toon obviously did not. mad

F_doomed
the Secret wars Caranage should of grabed parker or Why wasnt there a Spider-Venom MAn I am Just Saying Stupid things OH well

Reborn Again
You're right, he was a FX man. But he tried to sabotage a movie stunt because he was fired from the picture. That is his crime. That is what turned him into Mysterio. According to the cartoon that is.

tomhopeparry
i dont think theres much point to trying to compare the acuracy of the cartoon to the comics, there is just too many differences.. you would be here all day typing. i think the electro thing is possibly the most annoying thing it did.
i think there are plenty of other things i would have liked to of seen that it missed... like the jackal! now he was cool, also i would have liked it to be all in order, starting from the start, i dont think it even actually goes into the the story of how spiderman became until he tells the girl. but i think it should start with that, and then go into the 1st story where he (and i use the word loosely) battles the chameleon. the vulture was the 1st guy he actually fought with in AMS 02, in 01 all spiderman does is tell the cops to unmask the chameleon. (from what i remember). i think the development is what makes the comic so good, which the series misses out on.. anyway im going on an on. basically it doesnt follow the comics at all is what im saying... and that in itself isnt good.

shaber
They should have made it like Cronemburg's the Fly "I knew an old lady who swalowed a spider... that wriggled and wriggled and jiggled inside her..." http://f.frost.bbboy.net/healnpd/spider-toilet.gif

RoguePw25
Does anyone have any pics from this series? I'v been searching everywhere for some.

shaber
I did know of an official website. Not sure if it's still up.

Dazzler619
I agree with everyone else. The 90`s cartoon was awesome but there were some messed up things about it like:

1. Morrie/Hydro-man wanting MJ back and turning her into a clone. They never actually met in the comics

2. The origin of Carnage was totally different and dumb then the comics

3. When Morbius turned into a bat

4. They never made Betty Brant appear on the show

5. They made Aunt Anna nasty to Peter

6. Not saying words like kill, die, murder, death, etc

7.No violence like puching or hitting really hard

8. Ending the show without finding the real MJ

Joker1237
I think it was "OK" at first, Than Spiderman had 6 arms, and it got worse from there.

I did like sins of a father with the Green Goblin, and the Hob vs Green was a classic battle.
Of couse King Pin was the main villian in the show, and I had problems with that. I mean in Batman they did not focus on the Joker in evey show.

They should have done the same, I rember the King Pin as the big guy. and the cool villians were taking orders from the King Pin. Doc Ock work for King Pin??

spidespawn
it was good but needs more violence

Mr Parker
Of couse King Pin was the main villian in the show, and I had problems with that. I mean in Batman they did not focus on the Joker in evey show.

They should have done the same, I rember the King Pin as the big guy. and the cool villians were taking orders from the King Pin. Doc Ock work for King Pin??

That was clearly the worst thing about that show and the main thing that tuined it.why oh why did thay have to insist on a dumb idea like that? mad Like you said,thats like havng The Joker be the boss for all of batmans villians.just pointless and stupid.

Dazzler also makes good points on how they screwed up the show.yeah I forgot to mention that was another of my peeves was how Aunt anna was always so hostile towards pete.

Joker1237
I was sure evey one loved Peter and 50/50 percent of people hated/loved Spiderman.

Mr Parker
Yes thats true,everybody except JJJ of course loved Peter,thats what I was pointing out,another example of how they screwed up the spiderman 90's toon because Aunt Anna DID love Peter and think he was a great kid.

SpyCspider
heh i didn't really like the way they drew MJ....her face was really round and they tried to make dimples but it just made her mouth really big. Felicia on the other hand, looks 100% hot.

Mainstream
The episode When Norman learned Spidey secret Identity was the best. the very last episode kinda sucked.

spider-venom
great website on the 90 show http://members.aol.com/drg4/index.html?f=fs

SpyCspider
awesome....i'm going to have to recheck my cartoon collection to see the deleted scenes...( i watched them pre-9/11).

Mr Parker
we share the same agreements it looks like. smile yeah the one where Norman learned spideys secret identity is my favorite as well,it sucked that they didnt have more episodes about the goblin like they should have,instead they devoted wayyyy too many stupid episodes to Morbius and to the DNA story.and yeah,the way the whole thing ended was really stupid and dissapointing leaving you hanging like that. mad

Ock
I loved Doc Ock's origin episode.That rocked big grin

Mr Parker
yeah thats one of my top 5 faves as well. smile

Ock
Anybody collecting the DVD's of the 90's animated show they are releasing?

So far they have released:

-The Ultimate villain showdown
-Spider-Man VS Daredevil
-The return of the Green Goblin
-Spider-Man VS Doc Ock
-The Venom saga

VenomVA
I have the whole series on DVD big grin

Ock
You do? eek!

How did you manage that?

i like eggs
my thoughts the same smile

i like eggs
u r pissing me off. u say u loved the series but hate the movies! thats shit. and i am sick of u and vala whatever the hell his name was

i like eggs
i hate u

i like eggs
i thought that they did a good job on keeping the story lines straight, but what is the dillio with the lasers and the no killing policey thats crap

i like eggs
dude they have it on every night on Toon Disney at 8:30 central

i like eggs
shut up about all this trash on animation

i like eggs
oh my God u r right

i like eggs
I once saw the 90's version all 5 seasons on dvd at E-bay but they cut out the last to episodes of the neogenic nightmare. u know the ones with vulture

i like eggs
u sure know your stuff

i like eggs
i noticed that to about the electro episodes

i like eggs
i hate u

i like eggs
that pissed me off 2

i like eggs
1. venom head did not look like butt cheeks
2. mysterio was a criminal before he was mysterio
3. the lizard was not to human
4. what the hell do u mean the animation was sloppy
5. and how did they make norman look like u, i mean a pansey

i like eggs
plus no killing

Ock
Well everyone hates you so everyones happy smile

Paola
alright i like eggs, two things:

1. don't post more than once, use the quote option.
2. stay on-topic if you wanna keep posting in this forum.

Mr Parker
eggs dude obviously you did not read anything you qouted me on in my post because I said there and on the spiderman movies suck thread as well,that were lots of things I did not like about the cartooons either,that they made a lot of stupid and idiotic changes to the cartoons as well that were just plain stupid.I dont at all think the cartoon show is awesome like the batman cartoon is.the first season has some great episodes and was clearly the best season,but after that,the show totally went downhill from there with just a few good episdoes here and there.I dont love the 90's cartoon,I was dissapointed in it as well because of the reasons I have already mentioned in this thread many times,just that its by far much better than those horrible movies are.I mean we at least get to see the TRUE character of spiderman on the screen in the cartoons,something we DONT in the movies. mad

Paola
this is about the Spider-Man Animated Series not how much the movies suck.

SpyCspider
hahah but with Mr. Parker, you can NEVER get away with that topic...isn't that right? roll eyes (sarcastic)

The Animated Series was what got me into Spider-man in the first place...for once, I read about a hero who worries a lot about his own personal issues, who's just a kid, who misses dates with his gfs, etc.

Now looking back, they made a LOT of mistakes with origins, continuity, as well as trying to be kid-audience-friendly. But what the hey, it was the best we've had so far IMO.

Mr Parker
Eggs brought up the movies here on this thread not me. roll eyes (sarcastic) anyways,the first season was by far the best of that series.After that it got pregressively worse and worse each season with just a few good episodes here and there.The final season got so awful I never saw the final episode of that year and some of the others until recently in reruns.After watching those episodes recently,I was smart to stop watching it at that point because the way the whole show ended in the final episode was a really stupid way to end the whole thing.Kinda left you hanging.

Joker1237
So Mr Parker what do you think of the 1960's cartoon Tv show??

All I saw was the orgin cartoon, and I though that was sweet.(Or was it 70's??)

Ock
Doc Ock's episode in season 1 is one of your favourites right buddy? wink

Dazzler619
Speaking of the 90's series, does anyone know when the Venom Saga is coming out in dvd?

Ock
Its already out.I have it.

Mr Parker
The 60's cartoon holds a special place in my heart.all the cartoon shows do as a matter of fact except the newer one of course because even though none of them did the comic justice like the batman cartoon did,they have a lot of positives about them that make it worth sitting through and able to ejoy.The only ones I dont like are spiderman unlimited and the new one of course. smile

Mr Parker
oh yeah.One of my top 5 favorites. smile

Dazzler619
Ok.How was the dvd by the way? What special features did it have?

Ock
Hey Parker will you list your 5 favourites please?

Ock
Its awesome.Theres all 5 Venom episodes on it.The 3 part one from season 1 and the 2 part one with Carnage from season 3.

The usual special features are on it.Episode introductions with Stan Lee and Stan Lee's soap box.

Mr Parker
okay in order they go
1.Turning point-green goblin kidnaps MJ.
2.3 part venom saga
3.doc ock-armed and dangerous
4.Night Of The Lizard.
5.Kraven the hunter

there you have it. smile

Ock
Excellent choices big grin

The first 3 are availible on DVD. A shame the last two are not sad

NoFate007
I loved this show. Back when I was a kid, the best shows around were Spider-Man, Batman, X-Men, Power Rangers, and The Simpsons...man, great times

xc78
Originally posted by SpyCspider
Yup, I liked Marvel when it comes to animation.

PunkyHermy, I know you love Batman and so do I. I loved Batman and the Animated Series (cuz the stories kicked ass!) but the first time I saw the animation, I was deterred....Batman's angular jaw, people with distorted faces, exaggerated features, everything angular. Then I got used to it and actually liked it in some eps (ie, Clayface pt. 2). And then it all came back with the new animation with Tim Drake as Robin. Did you ever see Bane?? Those were the nastiest shoulders I've ever seen. Catwoman became just a shadow with white slits. Partly in the back of my mind I was thinking they were just saving on animation costs--hence, simplifying the lines and just make it all angular. Of course, they called it "a different style...." This trend continued with Superman and now the Justice League. Still awesome stories nonetheless!

The thing about the Marvel cartoons was that the characters were relatively proportional to the way they looked in comics (at one point in time at least) and in real-life and that is what made them more acceptable. I would say Spidey the Animated Series looked like something John Romita drew--correct me if I'm wrong.

The bad thing about the spidey series spiderman is always getting beat up he can't fight.

xc78
The badd thing about the spidey series is he's always getting beat up.

xc78
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Yeah I thought the whole lasers thing was pretty stupid also.

I also noticed the animation got worse.I think its because Stan Lee was involved in some of the animation in the first year and thats why after he left the first season,both the storys and animation got worse.

The Green Goblin coming after hobgoblin I think was a reasonable change though and did not mind that.I also loved the first venom story in the first season.I disagree though that the goblin was done bad in the cartoon,he was awesome,now the goblin from the movie was an inexcusable and stupid looking villian.

This cartoon had potential and I would say the first season holds up as the best incarnation of spidey since it to date is the most loyal adaptation we have had so far,but it began to suck after the first season having spidey main foes become 2nd rate lackeys working for the kingpin with most the storys revolving around the kingpin,that ruined the series.Plus no betty brant or Gwen stacy which was inexcusabel.

The whole madame web thing was redicules.

having him grow 8 arms because of getting bit by the spider was pretty stupid.

the bright side was the black cat,she made the show worth sitting through. Why is spidey always beat in the serise

xc78
Why is spidey always getting beat up in the serise.

SpyCspider
man when they showed the trailers for Felicia turning into Cat, I think something awakened in me...hahahahah

The animated series got me into Spider-man in the first place and now that I look back on it, I'm like thinking "hey, Morbius wasn't THAT big of a player in Spidey's history" compared to what the cartoon did..

And I thought Hobgoblin came before Green.
Didn't know Madame Web wasn't almost all-powerful.
Thought Black Cat had Captain America's powers.
Didn't know the existence of Gwen Stacy and Betty, but knew (or thought I knew) a lot about MJ, Felicia, and Debra Whitman.
Thought KingPin was Spidey's archnemesis....forever
Thought the Spider-Slayers looked like the cartoon versions.
Thought Venom was stronger than Rhino.
Herbert Landon?
Didn't know MJ was so hot compared to the way she's drawn in the cartoon.
Assumed Doc Oc had a German(?) accent. Otto...
Thought Peter Park looked like Nick Hammond for the longest time until I start reading the comics...

By the time the last season rolled in, I've been researching comics so when Electro was shown to be Red Skull's son.....I fell off my chair laughing.
laughing

SpyCspider
Technically, Peter Parker didn't take martial arts lessons or fight bullies pre-Spidey time so his lack of experience in fighting can be indicative of this...

He just gains spidey powers and all of a sudden, he's a great fighter. Maybe that's why he got beaten up so often. Just cuz you're strong doens't mean you have skills.

Mainstream
so true.

Alpha Centauri
"Sins of the Father". Or the variation they did of Secret Wars.

Or the one where all the Spider-Men came from different realities to stop Spider-Carnage.

Had to love the last ever episode when Spidey went to the reality that happened to be the real world and met Stan Lee. Loved that, great way to end the show.

-AC

SpyCspider
mm...when G Goblin went up against Hobby, I thought that was pretty cool....never heard from Hobby again afterwards (cept the alternate storyline in I really, really, really hate Clones).

And prior to researching comics, I thought Hobgoblin had no superstrength because the cartoons didn't give him any.

Loved when MJ (clone) met Black Cat....Spider-man was mesmerized when Cat left and stood there in silence until MJ said "helloooo??"

Alpha Centauri
Black Cat was the coolest in those cartoons. Actually seemed like a very shady but temptuous character.

-AC

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>