Help me, please. WWII Thesis: D-Day Changed the War

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
Alright, so I'm writing a thesis for school, and I'd appreciate any help with information or resources for it. My thesis, roughly, is: D-day changed the war and gave the Allied Forces a chance to win the war. Again, critisism and information is all welcome. The paper is due early May, and the outline is due tomorrow. I need to find events, places, names of people that helped to plan D-day, scenerios, anything that relates to the topic of D-day, preperation, executing, and winning the war.

Thanks in advance. smile

KidRock
google.com

King Burger
You know, if you really want to be noticed, go
with "D-Day was an over-rated piece-of-s***
event, as the Russians were already winning
the war by themselves".

Sounds catchy, yes?

Tptmanno1
Be better if it was right....

OK so its not the schematics of D-day but the effects?
Well for one its was how the US got into the war,
Its was,and still is the largest amphibious assault ever,
and it opened a second front so the Germans were stretched more and both sides could advance easier.
Got TONs of troops on the ground, goes along with the second front.
Thats the biggest part, Look up the conferences and such that show how badly Stalin wanted a second front and how long FDR delayed it so it woul be successful

moviejunkie23
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/05/15/international1253EDT0529.DTL

this is interesting and it will give you a referance for class

King Burger
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Be better if it was right....

OK so its not the schematics of D-day but the effects?
Well for one its was how the US got into the war,
Its was,and still is the largest amphibious assault ever,
and it opened a second front so the Germans were stretched more and both sides could advance easier.
Got TONs of troops on the ground, goes along with the second front.
Thats the biggest part, Look up the conferences and such that show how badly Stalin wanted a second front and how long FDR delayed it so it woul be successful

No one doubts that, my good man.

But that doesn't change the fact that it was the Russians that
were doing most fo the fighting and winning in the European
war. In fact, around the same time that D-Day was happening,
the Russians launched a massive offensive that annihilated
the German Army Group C (the largets and most powerful of
any German army group of the war).

I have seen and read a few American historians who themselves
admited that even without D-Day the Russians would've eventually
won the war (though after more bloodshed), as the German army
was already on its last leg by then.

And yes Stalin wanted a second front, but because the fighting
was costing alot of men and equipment, not because he
couldn't win by himself, since he was asking for a second front
for many months before as well, but that didn't stop the Russians
from advancing more and more against the Germans.

moviejunkie23
Doesn't anybody know yet that Russias and Americas are some crazy mofos. Just take a look at the Russian police, or maybe the American populace in general. Any country that thinks they can beat both America and Russia at the same time have been smokin from the hooka. Nuff said.
Maybe that wasn't the most brilliant analysis the world has ever seen but think about it.

King Burger
Your wrong moviejunkie23, it was indeed a brilliant analysis!

Maybe "crazy" is not appropriate when descibing Americans, but
there is no question that challenging American industrial might
along with Russian ferocious tenacity is suicidal at best,
apocalyptic at worst.

BullitNutz
From what I've read, Overlord (D-Day) wasn't so much of a decisive moment from a strtegic viewpoint in the frame of the war itself. Sure, it was a proof-of-concept to show that a whole new front could be established by an amphi beach landing, but The Russians had the Germans' balls nailed down all over the place. They were steaming towards Berlin before the first wave of troops ever left for the French Coastline.

Next up, The French Resistance played a pivotal role in the success of D-Day. Nearly irrelevant as it was, D-Day would likely not have been successful had it not been for the Resistance holding the German tank divisions back, away from the beaches. had those tanks showed up, D-Day wouldn't have been any kind of "finest hour" by any rational stretch of the imagination. it would have been a giant German sausage grinder.

I'm not trying to spew "hatred for the US" here, but one of my HS English teachers (Marine, Gunnery Sgt., trained at Quantico, VA) explained these things to us on one of those days where we had nothing to do.

King Burger
Agree with most of what you said...

minus the French Resistance part.

BullitNutz
Originally posted by King Burger
Agree with most of what you said...

minus the French Resistance part.

I'd be more than happy to back it up with sources, si vous prefere.

Ushgarak
The main reason the tanks didn't go in in time was not the French resistance, it was German reluctance (all the way up to Hitler) to send them in. The Resistance did a lot of communications disruption but they had not a chance in hell of halting those Panzer divisions if they had been sent in promptly. Allied Command spent all day trying to work out why those tanks weren't coming. However, we'll never know what difference they would have made- it is extraordinarily speculative to say that D-Day would have been lost. If all of D-Day had been like Omaha, then fine, but it wasn't and once we had the beacheads- faster than the Panzers ever could have come in the best of circumstances- then no repulsion was certain.

D-Day changed the world rather more than the war. Without D-Day the post war climate would have had for certain a Germany totally owned by the Russians, and it can be speculated France would have been taken by them as well, the consequences of which one could write entire volumes about. Then there is the question of Russia and Japan...

In short, the modern world would have been totally different had D-Day failed.

KharmaDog
Lucky kid, everybody's writing his thesis for him. I remember the good old days when people actually researched their own homework.

No wonder why the world is dumbing down, nobody does anything or researches anything for themselves anymore.

PVS
kharma! i'm actually doing a research paper on the dumbing down of the world's population, and i was wondering if you could elaborate on that...in 5 pages or more preferablystick out tonguewink

KharmaDog
You frickin' kill me PVS laughing laughing laughing

King Burger
http://www.d-n-i.net/fcs/comments/c535.htm

(Article not on French Resistance, but mentions it.)

"General de Gaulle's political need to efface the shame of defeat, occupation, and collaboration met the romanticizing tendencies of Anglo-American war correspondents, and a legend was born. But Keegan's assertion is stark: for most of the war, the 30-50 German occupation divisions took no part in anti-resistance activities whatsoever; stationed near the coast, to repel invasion, they where not so situated in any case. He then drops this astounding tidbit: the number of actual anti-resistance security forces in France (the Feldsicherheitsdienst) probably did not exceed 6500 at any stage of the war. That in a country of over 40 million!"

Fire
Trying checking out the longest day quite a decent movie about D-day

yerssot
I actually have a 25 pages long article that goes solely about the planning of D-Day and at the end it gives a list of works one must read about D-Day, I'll try to find it

jaden101
5 topics post D-DAY landings

the liberation of cherbourg that allowed a deep water port to land and resupply the allies (june 27th 1944)

sept 13th 1944...US troops reach the sigfried line

sept 17th 1944 operation market garden

dec 17th...german Waffen SS execute 81 US POW'S at malmedy
dec 16th-27th battle of the bulge...ardennes forest

dec 26th bastogne finally relieved after being surrounded by German troops

january 26th...Russian troops liberate Auschwitz

feb 4th -11th 1945...stalin, churchill and roosevelt meet is Yalta

march 7th 1945...remagen bridge captured by US forces

april 12th 1945...buschenvald and belsen concentration camps liberated by allies

april 21st 1945...Russians reach Berlin

april 28th 1945...Mussolini captured and hanged

april 29th 1945...allies liberate Daschau

april 30th 1945 Hitler commits suicide

May 7th 1945...unconditional surrender of German forces to allies

may 8th 1945...VE(victory in Europe) Day declared

may 9th...hermann goerring captured

may 23rd himmler commits suicide

june 5th...allies divide up Berlin

July 16th 1945...first US atom bomb test...potsdam conference begins

august 6th 1945...first A bomb dropped on Hiroshima

august 8th...soviets declare war on Japan

august 9th...second A bomb dropped on Nagasaki

august 14th...Japan agree to unconditional surrender

sept 2nd...Japan sign surrender...VJ (victory in Japan) day declared

Nov 20th...nuremburg trials begin

oct 16th 1946..herman goerring commits suicide 2 hours before his scheduled execution

hope this brief timeline gives you some things to consider

Fire
nice list

jaden101

jaden101
oh...and personally i would go with the cherbourg...market garden...Auchwitz....remagen...and russian reacing berlin

jaden101
good sites

http://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/dl/dday/ddaypage.html

dont forget the airborne missions though

http://www.warchronicle.com/dday/utah/all_american_eagles.htm

http://www.warchronicle.com/dday/pegasus/pegasus.htm

some WW2 stats

http://www.angelfire.com/ct/ww2europe/stats.html

BullitNutz
Market Garden is my favorite BF42 stage. I love posting up in the bell tower with a panzerschreck/pfaust and blasting that B-17 out of the sky

King Burger
Excellent job jaden101!

Though too bad the list is more concerned with the Western
allies than the USSR, or pre-Pearl Harbor Japan.

Still, nice.

jaden101
Originally posted by King Burger
Excellent job jaden101!

Though too bad the list is more concerned with the Western
allies than the USSR, or pre-Pearl Harbor Japan.

Still, nice.

yeah...i had to edit it down quite a bit cause posts have to be less than 10,000 characters long

it could easily be 3 times as long if i included all the Japanese, Russian and African campaigns

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.