Army Recruitment Horror Story

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PVS
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/4/11/125717/705

My Army Recruitment Horror Story
by Amazing Rando
Mon Apr 11th, 2005 at 09:57:17 PDT

Ok, I'm a teenager, and I do all of that crazy teenager stuff in my spare time. Going to malls (but only with friends, as those places drive me insane), check out the latest action flick at the cinema (on an unrelated note, Sin City equals great neo film noir!), engage in various activities that I likely won't be proud of in ten years, that kind of stuff. All things considered, I live a fairly normal life. Well, as normal as anyone's life can be.

So imagine my surprise and horror when a group of Army Recruitment goons try intimidate my and my friends, almost using physical violence, into attending some recruitment meeting.

Diaries :: Amazing Rando's diary :: :: Trackback ::

My story beings at the local mall. All names and places have been removed for my own protection and anonymity. I'm with three friends, just hanging out, thinking about getting a job application from the mall's bookstore. The four of us are approached by three very average-looking guys. They're dressed pretty casually, looking about in the mid-twenties. One of them notices my Green Lantern shirt and says to me, "Hey man, Hal Jordan was the shit."

We strike up a conversation on comics, the return of Hal Jordan, and the DC universe in general. It's nice and pleasant. I'm thinking, Hey, these guys are all right!, because anyone who thinks that Hal Jordan is the best Green Lantern is ok in my book. Anyway, this guy asks us where we're all going to college next year, as it came up in conversation that we're all seniors from the local high school, the same one they claimed to have graduated from. He sounded off our college choices, mostly liberals arts schools in the northeast.

Then, out of nowhere, one of them has a brochure in his hands. It was like a magician, pulling a rabbit out of a hat. First nothing, then brochure. He hands it to me and says that we could all get our college paid for and invites us to an informational meeting the next weekend. The brochure looks like a technical college kind of thing, mentioning "fun work" in "technology fields for the jobs of tomorrow." Then I realize that the brochure is plastered with the old Army slogans: "Travel the World!," "Have your college paid for!," that kind of stuff. Except the brochure doesn't mention the Army or ANY branch of the armed services at all.

I ask the guy if it's for the Army, and he just smiles at me and says, "College isn't the only option out there, dudes." Ok, I'm done with this guy, I figure. I smile, say No thank you, sir, and motion to my friends. The head guy says he needs our names, phone numbers, and addresses, so we can be put into the "Not Interested Database." Yeah bloody right. Again, I say no thank you and move off. They block us again. The head guy says, "We're getting your names, kid." I turn around, and two more Army guys have materialized out of nowhere, undoubtedly having moved in while we were talking. It's the four of us being surrounded by five Army guys that look like they tear phonebooks in half for light exercise.

We stand there, surrounded and scared shitless, for about ten seconds that feel like hours. Then, one of my friends, a girl, screeches, "RAAAPE! GET YOUR GODDAMN HANDS OFF OF ME!," and screams so loud that I'm certain glass cracked somewhere nearby. This distracted the Army guys long enough for me to break between two of them with my shoulder, and we ran through the hole like bats out of hell. We ran the ENTIRE length of the mall, through the parking lot, piled into my car, and peeled out of there in one minute flat. I don't even know if they were chasing us, but I think they didn't because there is NO way that I could have outran these guys.

What's the moral of the story? Simple. Many of you are parents. If you have kids who are my age, in their late teens preparing for college, warn them! These recruitment guys are going to stoop to some serious stuff to fill their quotas, even if that means roughing up someone. Now, I do not plan on revealing my name, my location, or this event to the authorities. First off, I'm scared these Gestapo bastards will track me down and try to lock me or my family up. Second, I know that if I do tell the local cops, they will NEVER go after Army recruiters, as conservative as this area is. By the time they were finished, I'd be accused of tearing up an official Army recruiting station and attacking two uniformed soldiers. Teaching is half the battle. Tell your kids to watch who they talk to and to be suspicious of everyone. They might not be as lucky as I was.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

very disturbing imho. it seems recruiters are becoming desperate and since there is nobody to bring their selling methods into question...how and where is the line drawn? i've been approached by recruiters and they are indeed worse than telemarketers in not taking 'no' for an answer.

so should this system of recruitment change? are quotas and commision the real problem? fact is, there are many recruiters who WILL lie through their teeth to get you to sign up...not for their country, but for that bonus on their paycheck.

so lets discuss.

Lord Shadow Z
Thats quite bad. I mean imploying intimidation isn't the way to get citizens to fight for the country, never mind respect it. The recruiters that I've seen in Middlesbrough are dressed as soldiers and have their own stall that people can approach if they want to.

KharmaDog
A buddy of mine who now lives in Brooklyn got the whole "Not Interested Database" thing. And another friend once had a recruiter tell him that he "Guarantees great money and that you'll never have to go to a war zone if you don't want to".

smoker4
There has never really been anything like this in the uk, its very scary, in films recruiters are always portrade as this, is this a new problem? has bush brought this about? They are effectivley salesmen so i guess they will try all kinds of tactics but goddamn its scary

botankus
The first and last paragraphs look like they were written by two totally different people. The first one reminds me of those KMC junior members whose first 10 posts include starting 8 new threads. The last one looks like it was written by a parent with triple the IQ of the aforementioned.

Where was this, anyways? And is Amazing Rando this freak's real name?

PVS
i dont know, check the link.
must i do a background check?

botankus
LOL

Capt_Fantastic
Sounds like their orders come straight from the top.

Seriously, I got a call one morning from an Marine recruiter. I recall thinking it was too early for them to wake me up. I cussed him and told him not to ever call back. I've never heard from another recruiter.

Besides, my mother told me that I wasn't allowed to join the armed services. She said she wasn't going to apologize to the American public for my attitude. Apparently, she'd had enough of that in school.

Julie
army recruitment huh....nice...real nice...I wouldn't join the army...try the marines or navy or something with class

Mandos
dicator

ladygrim
The only problem we get is jehovahs witnesses...

finti
well coming form a country that has a mandatory military service I think that the lot should stop being such f*ucking pouting whining chickens and join up. your country ask you too ............ laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing beer
sorry I just couldnt resist it devil evil face usaflag tank

PVS
screw that

The Inkeeper
Dont tell the police. I bet its like that South Park episode, where they are forced into buying a Condo.

FeceMan
Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape!

KidRock
Fake

PVS
laughing out loud

ITS DEM DAMN LYING DEMOCRATS AGAIN I RECKON!!!!!! *spit*

BackFire
Actually, I think it's exagerated. "two guys materialized out of midair and was blocking our path" as if he knows these guys were actually purposely blocking their path. Maybe that's just where they were standing.

PVS
well, im sure they didnt materialise as that technology has not been invented yet. stick out tongue

really though, it seems he just exagerates in superficial ways to stylise, like the way the guy made the brochure 'appear' like a magician. i really dont think this is BS. i witnessed recruitmant officers at malls and even heard one call my friend a 'fairy' probably because he had long hair. he said it out loud to his buddy, clearly so that my friend would hear.

one time at the DMV (what a way to make a shithole even worse) this dickhead cornered me and gave me the whole sales pitch. i wanted to walk away...but where the hell was i going to go? i was stuck there. you would have thought i was being offered a free three month vacation at club med. those guys piss me off worse than telemarketers. i grit my teeth at the thought of all the less observant kids who got suckered into the military with lies from commision driven salesmen.

BackFire
Hmmm, well I've never really encountered any of them, didn't know they were being assholes to people they're trying to recruit.

PVS
well, my buddy was obviously not on their 'sell' list, so they said whatever they pleased as opposed to kiss his ass and act like a free travel agent like they did to me at the DMV.

i have never heard of such aggressive tactics as cornering and threatening, but after all the lies i have seen some of these people tell, and the way they look down on others they deem as 'fairy'...it doesnt seem so far fetched to me.

is this really true though? who the hell knows or will ever know.
this kid claims he wants no more attention for this as he didnt expect it to blow up in the media and he doesnt want these people to be able to track him down for revenge...which makes sense but could also just be a backpedal story.... so i guess we will never know erm

BackFire
The only encounter I had with an army recruiter was in High school when one came into our class and tried to sell the army. It was cool, wasted a whole period.

Cosmic_Beings
They're so desperate! When we get attacked again, or if south korea gets attacked, then there will be a draft no matter what.

Tptmanno1
Yea, If they EVER come to my high school, ooh shit there will be hell to pay....

Tex
Originally posted by finti
well coming form a country that has a mandatory military service I think that the lot should stop being such f*ucking pouting whining chickens and join up. your country ask you too ............ laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing beer
sorry I just couldnt resist it devil evil face usaflag tank

That's easy for you to say seeing as your army is mere window dressing! schmoll

finti
our army is present in Bosnia, Afghanistan and Iraq, about dressing part, the Norwegian army really had to redress the US troops in Afghanistan when the boots they used were no good. What the use of a high tech military when the gear the troops use is no good.

KidRock
I am sure the people who wrote that story went and hugged some trees after they left the mall.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Tex
That's easy for you to say seeing as your army is mere window dressing! schmoll

Did you actually think before you made this statement? Or do you actually think that the U.S. is the only country that actually employs it's military? Unwrap yourself from your flag and read a book or learn about something before you comment about it.

If you are gonna say something uneducated and stupid, perhaps you're better off saying nothing at all.

PVS
about dressing part, the Norwegian army really had to redress the US troops in Afghanistan when the boots they used were no good.

wow
thats a little tidbit i never heard. i know that in iraq they are forced to use what our troops call 'hillbilly armor' (scrap metal strapped to hum-v's as makeshift armor) because rumsfeld and company refuse to place any value on their lives...but BOOTS!?!?!? they cant even have adequate boots!?!?? sad sad

(turns toward kidrock) and yet the 'real patriots' dont seem to give a shit in their total lack of questioning. 'support out troops' my ass. if you really were so supportive you would raise hell over this shit, instead of blindly worshipping those who sent them there based on a complete lie. ill never forget when that soldier questioned rumsfeld TO HIS FACE about this(hillbilly armor), and it was met with a thunderous applause from EVERY TROOP IN THE HOUSE. not a 'golf clap', or 'hey, thats a good question' but more like a "YEAAAAAAH!!!!!!! mad " but who cares what they think, right? bunch of anti-american terrorist-loving liberal..........troops?

now if you'll excuse me, i'll go hug a tree.

KharmaDog
Hug a birch tree, they're more affectionate. Or so I've heard embarrasment

Sadako of Girth
....Often Silvery too.... Nice!

finti
he after this little event, Norway military supliers got the contract to dress up the "new" Afghan army.

But this little event with the boots shows the good things to be allied nations. They both share for the common good, US provided kick ass weapons and gadgets for the Norwegian army and the Norwegians supplied uniform gear that could meet the natural conditions they had to face. Help each other out thats what its all about, and the US military wasnt too proud of a unit to that didnt need any help so they gladly accept the boots the Norwegian gave them.

Tex
our army is present in Bosnia, Afghanistan and Iraq, about dressing part, the Norwegian army really had to redress the US troops in Afghanistan when the boots they used were no good. What the use of a high tech military when the gear the troops use is no good.

Yes, I'm very sorry. You're clearly very proud of the 4 Norwegian troops stationed abroad. tongue10

Originally posted by KharmaDog
Did you actually think before you made this statement? Or do you actually think that the U.S. is the only country that actually employs it's military? Unwrap yourself from your flag and read a book or learn about something before you comment about it.

If you are gonna say something uneducated and stupid, perhaps you're better off saying nothing at all.

Did you actually read my post before embarking on your childish, ignorant, misinformed, inaccurate and misguided characterisation of myself?

Clearly not. You wouldn't have sounded so silly and uneducated had you.

I did not even mention the US army or America in my post. As far as "unwrapping myself in my flag" anyone who knows my positions knows that I am not a fan of the current political and military climate.

You're clearly very bitter, angry and embarrassingly prejudiced and anti-American. You should really refrain from judging people or branding them with your ignorant, misinformed and uneducated perceptions.

finti
yeah since those 4 troops can do the same job all of the US troops are doing, well of course I am cool

finti
KD me an Tex have along story of throwing things in each other face, he didnt mean any harm and he knows he can do that to me without using the right smilies..cause he doesnt understand the meaning of the smilies might be a reason

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Tex
Yes, I'm very sorry. You're clearly very proud of the 4 Norwegian troops stationed abroad. tongue10

Did you actually read my post before embarking on your childish, ignorant, misinformed, inaccurate and misguided characterisation of myself?

Clearly not. You wouldn't have sounded so silly and uneducated had you.

I did not even mention the US army or America in my post. As far as "unwrapping myself in my flag" anyone who knows my positions knows that I am not a fan of the current political and military climate.

You're clearly very bitter, angry and embarrassingly prejudiced and anti-American. You should really refrain from judging people or branding them with your ignorant, misinformed and uneducated perceptions.

I read your post, as I have this one, and stand by what I said. Instead of defending what you said you attacked me. I harbour no ill will to any country, some country's leaders and some who support them, but not the country itself.

You made a childish statement, more than likely, to illicit a response. You got one.

You also make a joke of yourself by saying that I should really refrain from judging people or branding them with my ignorant, misinformed and uneducated perceptions, after having previously said, "You're clearly very bitter, angry and embarrassingly prejudiced and anti-American".

If you are going to disrespect or mock others, their nations, or the efforts that the people in their military partake, then be prepared to get a little back yourself.

And just to help you out, my post was not child-like in tone or execution. It was not ignorant, because it was in direct response to your comment. It seems to be you who is misinformed regarding the military efforts of other countries than your own. I may have been inaccurate, in stereotyping you, and that I will admit to. As for the characterisation of yourself, that is totally of your own doing. And as for your accusations of me being ignorant, misinformed and uneducated, your comments have proven that they seem to be your particular fields of expertise.

KharmaDog
KD me an Tex have along story of throwing things in each other face, he didnt mean any harm and he knows he can do that to me without using the right smilies..cause he doesnt understand the meaning of the smilies might be a reason

If I walked into a inside joke between to members, I apologize, my bad.
But I am not gonna sit there and get personally attacked.

KharmaDog

finti
how did you manage the last post there KD? big grinbig grin

KharmaDog
I f*cked up

finti
hmm I have to learn that trick, it might be for good use for replys from time to time

Tex

Alpha Centauri
What a horrific world we live in where some countries armies aren't out there killing innocent people.

What a terrifyingly unjust world it is when a country's army isn't really needed.

Shocking.

-AC

PVS
...and what a travesty when someone's post has nothing to do with the topic or anything said in that thread...terrible

KharmaDog
laughing out loud

finti
huh we go off topic in here at KMC ???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.