Why is it...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lana
So damn hard to type properly?

Seriously. When people type stuff like "omg lyk u ttly had to b thr 2 c it"...why?!

People say it's quicker to type like that...well guess what, it took me about 3 times as long to type out that sentence as it's taken me to type this one, because I had to think about what letters I could leave out and have it still semi-intelligible.

Plus, it's very hard to read. Sometimes I can't understand what people are writing when they type like this, and English is my native language. Now imagine how hard it can be for those on these boards who don't have English as their native language.

The "but I don't know how to spell" excuse is shite -- there's a spellchecker. If you're so worried about spelling then use it.

Come on, guys...it's not that hard!!!

Drumdude1167
omg, wtf is yr prob..... roll eyes (sarcastic) just kidding.... i know..it pisses me off also

Filth
Dam all who type in this primitive language they call "txt talk".

Lan©eWindu™
Originally posted by Lana

Seriously. When people type stuff like "omg lyk u ttly had to b thr 2 c it"...why?!

....... there's a spellchecker. If you're so worried about spelling then use it.

They can't use spellcheck with "type talk" spellcheck wouldn't even be able to decipher it.

It would probably come back with a message saying: "What kind of drugs are you on? Can I have some?"

Lana

crazycutie
sorry, i say ppl insted of people

Fionnuala
occasional abbreviations is fun..when it's all the time, it's just annoying..

Lan©eWindu™
Originally posted by crazycutie
sorry, i say ppl insted of people

You're typing is fine.

Like Lana said, it's when every last word is abbreviated when it becomes illegible.

Lana
See, stuff like ppl, btw, wtf, I'm okay with. I use them myself when I'm chatting on MSN. But there are people who abbreviate EVERY word and I swear my IQ drops a point for every letter they leave out.

_G-Unit_
i use this way cuz its qiker

Clovie
i'm trying not to make typos cry

King Burger
Do as I do when I see posts I can't understand, I just
make up stuff and respond to it.

If I'm wrong, well, it's not my problem.

Lana
Clovie, you speak English and type fine...much better than many people I see who's native language IS English.

Clovie
Clovie, you speak English and type fine...much better than many people I see who's native language IS English. tx hug

Lana
No prob hug we know your typos aren't intentional and that you're trying. It's people who do it on purpose that really bother me.

Deathblow
What I don't get is when people type out shortened versions of words, which aren't actually shortened at all.

I got an SMS message today which included the words ''widd'', ''wurri'' and ''lyke''. Now put a paper bag over my head, secure it with a rusty chain, shoot both my legs off and push me off a very high bridge into a roaring waterfall infested with crazed, six-foot mutant flesh eating penguins if I'm wrong here, but don't all three of those abridged versions have the same amount of letters as the normal spelling?

I think retarded spelling must be some kind of digital fashion statement yes

Crisis
i get really annoyed when people speak like that, makes absolutely no sense...

Clovie
No prob hug we know your typos aren't intentional and that you're trying. It's people who do it on purpose that really bother me. i really am embarrasment
hug

Lana
Abbreviations that are the same length of the actual word....that's just sad....

Sova D. Nagi
I does get annoying when people use abbreviations through out a whole sentence. Mostly on online game like PSO where you only have a little time to read it.

¨†¨The Mystíc¨†
I dont even know what some of it means

Lana
That was the point of the thread...it can be very hard to understand.

¨†¨The Mystíc¨†
WTF is "bi"?

Sova D. Nagi
Yep. Some are hard to understand. I know a bit of the common ones like: omg, ppl, and brb.

¨†¨The Mystíc¨†
I only know

ppl
omg
brb
wtf
BTW
and I think thats all

¨†¨The Mystíc¨†
cry

jeffrey23420
hi

jeffrey23420
wdf

jeffrey23420
lmao

jeffrey23420
lmfao

Lan©eWindu™
No need to post them all in seperate posts there Jeff.

Echuu
I usually only use "prolly, cuz, and brb."

Dwarfdude
Its the signals of a dying language...My freinds and I have a joke online, but its sort of inside...."omgurockerzmysockerz"....

Heh. Yeah, sort of random, but thats me.

Anywho, I dont use any of them, 'cept maybe "lol" occasionally. And that's only occasionlly. I dont laugh a lot. no expression

If I'm in a rush out the door, "gtg" is another I will occasionally use...

I play a lot of online games though, so I can translate fairly well. But otherwise, if I abbrieviate something, say "except" to 'cept, I'll almost always put a apostrophe in front. My grandma used to be a grammer/english teacher, so I suppose thats where I get it...

To cut short the rambling, yes, it annoys me too.

Tptmanno1
I think Sam said it best.....

Coldfire
I use that kind of stuff sometimes when I am reeeally lazy stick out tongue

frodo34x
See, stuff like ppl, btw, wtf, I'm okay with. I use them myself when I'm chatting on MSN. But there are people who abbreviate EVERY word and I swear my IQ drops a point for every letter they leave out. And longer ones, like IMHO (In my honest/humble opinion), IIRC (if I remember correctly) are fine. I think lol is OK, but I hate it when people go ROFLMAO or ROFLCOPTER and stuff like that. Lol has just the same effect.

I think this thread should be stickied.

Lydia
i type not to make sense but to answer to whoever is speaking to me...so consequently they will get my lazy yea sur i fink dats ryt coz i go of awy blabla bla

see it doesn't make sense!!!! that'll teach people from talking to me...

Lana
Originally posted by frodo34x
And longer ones, like IMHO (In my honest/humble opinion), IIRC (if I remember correctly) are fine. I think lol is OK, but I hate it when people go ROFLMAO or ROFLCOPTER and stuff like that. Lol has just the same effect.

I think this thread should be stickied.

ROFLCOPTER? I have never heard that before.....laughing

And thanks happy

Originally posted by Lydia
i type not to make sense but to answer to whoever is speaking to me...so consequently they will get my lazy yea sur i fink dats ryt coz i go of awy blabla bla

see it doesn't make sense!!!! that'll teach people from talking to me...

If your answers don't make sense they can't understand your answers stick out tongue wink

dark1365
Typing like that makes you look immature.

clispin

People say it's quicker to type like that...well guess what, it took me about 3 times as long to type out that sentence as it's taken me to type this one, because I had to think about what letters I could leave out and have it still semi-intelligible.

Plus, it's very hard to read. Sometimes I can't understand what people are writing when they type like this, and English is my native language. Now imagine how hard it can be for those on these boards who don't have English as their native language.

The "but I don't know how to spell" excuse is shite -- there's a spellchecker. If you're so worried about spelling then use it.

I completely and totally agree with you. It drives me crazy as well. I'll often let the odd "u" slip but that's about all I can muster!

dark1365
I just use IMO for in my opinion, wtf, and occasionally BRB when I'm in a hurry.

Lana
Originally posted by dark1365
I just use IMO for in my opinion, wtf, and occasionally BRB when I'm in a hurry.

That, and lol during MSN or AIM convos, is the extent of what I use.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.