Mace vs Palps

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Blender

Lord Banshee
Only four weeks and six days? Cool eek!

ickeris2003
four weeks and six days: thats wicked awesome!!!! rolling on floor laughing

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Darth Blender
Oh, like I see I have been edited! mad I thought after the Revenge of the Sith novel release and the comic release the story would be popular enough to discuss it. My fault! roll eyes (sarcastic)

((The_Anomaly))
hummm, I still say that palps let him win cause he wanted anakin to choose, and he prolly knew this was a good time to finally get anakin to turn...but i wont know for sure till i see the movie...

LanİeWindu™
Originally posted by Darth Blender
Oh, like I see I have been edited! mad I thought after the Revenge of the Sith novel release and the comic release the story would be popular enough to discuss it. My fault! roll eyes (sarcastic)

You'd think wouldn't you? no2

There are still people here that are spoiler free. There is a rule on these forums about spoiler tags or at least putting the word Spoilers in your Thread Subject.

Are you disagreeing with my decision to add spoiler tags to your post?

macgeek2005
Mace is the most dangerous fighter on the Jedi Council. He can beat Palpatine.

That's why that scene will be so powerfull. The Jedi were about to win the war, and anakin...........that bastard

Darth Blender

Batman316
Originally posted by macgeek2005

That's why that scene will be so powerfull. The Jedi were about to win the war, and anakin...........that bastard

no it's just Palpy playing games and manipulating Anakin into protecting him and turning his back on the jedi....

'look how they attack this feeble old man Ani.....' *palpy makes a I'm really scared face

I think we need a revision on exactly what is a spoiler and what isn't ? cause at this stage pretty much most things have the possibility of spoiling

Lord Banshee
I cant imagine Mace is actually stronger than Sidious. That means he's stronger than Yoda too... OMG.

Tecnodimerda
I agree Banshee. The way it is described in the novel I'd say Palps IS only playing with Mace and Anakin. Mace senses that Sidious doesn't fear him and absolutly trusts in Anakin's turn. He's so sure Anakin will turn - all that is needed is his little show ("don't let him kill me...please ....blabla"wink. The problem that many people seem to have is Lucas' (or was is someone else?) comment that first Palps sets up Mace, what doesn't work quite,(think it's the force lightning) and then Mace sets up Palps which doesn't work, too (trying to push him out of the window/off the ledge). Then Palps plays the weaker part to let Anakin decide to kill Mace and join the Sith (we should he kill Mace???? The scene is perfect to show anakin that the Jedi are not so good afterall like he told him before. Of course it's all nicely set up.) That's why I think it's going to be the most powerful scene in the movie. Not only for the back and forth of the lightsaberduel but for Lucas's great work of drama here.

Hm I wanted to ask this question anyway: It is said that Mace actually slices Palps' Saber in half (at least in the book). How does Palps get a new saber to fight Yoda??? I'm just a bit confused here. Once someone wrote that Mace kicks the saber out of Palps' hand. That would make more sense to me.

((The_Anomaly))
well in the trailer there is a little flash of mace kicking...lol, so that could be it.

plus ur right, him getting his saber destroyed doesnt make a lot of sense, unless he has more then 1 for some reason..

juggernaut74
Originally posted by Tecnodimerda
Once someone wrote that Mace kicks the saber out of Palps' hand. That would make more sense to me. I read the graphic novel and in there it shows Mace kicking it out of his hands.

Bespin Bart
Does anyone understand that Sidious knows that Anakin is coming and is playing games with Mace in order to turn Anakin to the Dark-Side? confused

EDIT: Misread Banshee and Tecnodiderma... eek!

But yes, I think Mace kicks it away. A Behind the Scenes photograph shows Mace holding Palpatine at saber-point with his own lightsaber as well, alongside Mace's blade.

Darth Blender

Lord Banshee
Aaah so Sidious IS stronger than Mace but sidious plays he's weaker so Anakin can make move against the jedi order.

Darth Blender

Ushgarak
No, I still think all this 'Sidious was playing with Mace' stuff is crap. It also dramatically detracts from Anakin's choice.

The whole point is that Mace COULD have done it- THAT is the drama of the scene.

There is this 'Infallible Sidious love' virus which seems to be infecting fans now, which seems to stem from a lack of imagination. People should have some perspective. Sidious is not so powerful that no-one could challenge him. Windu had a shot.

(that is also him not going out like a punk)

It is VITAL that Anakin makes Sidious' victory possible, else he has become simply a spectator to events, which is not what he is- his character is a vital part of the 'Empire Rising' plot. This is the ONE scene in which this can happen. If Sidious could have beaten Mace anyway, Anakin's intervention is irrelevant to the wider issue. Therefore, for the plot to work, it has to be that Mace was going to kill Sidious, BUT Anakin turns and therefore starts the chain of events that finishes the Jedi and brings in the Empire.

Darth Blender
What was you trying to say? laughing

LanİeWindu™
He was proving that all the arguments you guys have been making are incorrect. Ush is too smart.

Darth Blender

Darth Blender

chilled monkey
I agree with Ushgarok. Sidious is not the invincible god that people seem to think. If Anakin hadn't been there, he'd have lost.

Still, I am really looking forwards to seeing this match.

invaderZim
I think If Anakin never met padme then when mace and palps are fighting That is were the Prophice was meant to be for- filled. Because nothing would stop anakin joining in and killing sidious.

Things would have been alot diffrent in the OT if this would have happened.

Darth Blender

((The_Anomaly))
I have to not agree and say that sidious is pretty much the invincible god that everyone seems to think he is...

he WAS playing with both mace and anakin, he wanted anakin to turn. if he had other plans for anakins fall to the darkside then he would have killed mace himself.

SithKiller
Palps allows himself to be put in a cpl situations that he could be killed but due to his clairvoyent force ability he knows that wont happen so as much as I like mace..... mace would have tired from fending off all the force attacks and his fighting style wouldnt be of much avail he would have been worn out eventually.....thats one opinion...what I want to know does Mace live? Do they really show him die? or just appears he dies?...hmmm... Could make for some interesting reading in future bookssmile

SithSpy
i belive all this can be answered in 5 words "The will of the force", what couldve happened is not what does happen, the chosen one is not said to be the only one who can kill a sith lord, just that hes the one that Does so and brings balance to the force in doing so.

((The_Anomaly))
first off, Mace dies....

secondly...Palpatine COULD have beaten Windu, if he wanted too. the poitn is as Ush said, that Palps put himself in that danger, he was counting on Anakin turning. So MAce COULD have killed him at the moment, but if anakin wasne there then palps would have just not put himself in that situation and killed windu by himself.

Darth Blender

Fcuker
**spoiler** if palpatine can take yoda why cant he take mace ...it had to be a show planned out for anakin

Darth_Nefarus
I'm fully confident it was a show to set Anakin up, but at the same time, Sidious wasn't expecting Mace to be as good as he was.

((The_Anomaly))
but the fact remains that if Palpatine can beat Yoda then he can beat windu...

Darth Blender

((The_Anomaly))
I don't believe that Mace is a better sword fighter then Yoda, unfortunately...he used the senate pods because Yoda was so damn good that he needed it or he might lose. I admit that Windu is a skilled swordsman but he is not better then Yoda that doesn't make sense. Sam himself has said "I'm supposed to be the second baddest dude" he obviously means next to Yoda...

Mace is not better then Yoda

broke
Originally posted by macgeek2005

I agree. My friend and I are avid Star Wars fans. And I believe that Mace Windu is infact THE head of the Jedi Council. Not Yoda. Mace Windu is more powerful than Yoda in everyway. Yoda is more wise cause of his age. Yoda is cool but he's not as powerful as alot of people think he is. Mace Windu has Sidious beat until Anakin makes the fateful decision to join Sidious which inturn spells the end for Mace. Unfortunately.
If anyone knows more about this subject please feel free to correct me. But as far as I know Mace Windu is THE most powerful Jedi known I believe.
Followed by a Jedi named Anoon Bondara I believe then Yoda.

Also Hi Everyone I'm new and have enjoyed reading everything that everyone has had to say. big grin

KenpoKarate
There are to many variables in the fight. Like for one. How did Paps. know that Anakin was coming? Two. Paps. took out two Jedi instantly, why didnt he take out Mace first? If he just was playing with Anakin, it would seem to me that if he was the better swordsman he would have taken out Mace first and then just toyed with the other Jedi's. Three. IN the novel, Paps. says " I have been waiting for this for a very long time,' which makes me think he was just waiting to cut into some Jedi. Or, maybe he said it because he knew this would be the offical start of the fall of the Jedi.

I personally think that Mace Windu is the better swordsman. With force skill, Paps. is the better one. He hide it so well that no Jedi around him could see it. That is some skill, espically when you have Master Jedi's like Yoda around you.

Darth Blender

ShadowKing
Yoda is the Master of the Force, and like most sensei's, he can handle a mean stick too..

Mace is a Master of the Force but The Master of the Lightsaber...in battle, no one is his equal..without cheating, or Anakin's help, Palpatine is split like a melon

mtryder
I gotta side with the "Mace vs. Sidious would have ended with a Mace victory" line of thought. Mace is the single best duelist in the galazy, probably followed by Sidious. For pretty much the exact same reason as what Ushgarak stated, it also just makes more dramatic sense, and sets up an interesting parallel to ROTJ, in which Anakin twice interferes with Sidious as he "duels" and each time swings the outcome in the opposite direction of where it would have gone.

((The_Anomaly))
ok, we have to look at this...i dont get how you think that mace is a better swordsman then Yoda and more importantly palpatine. mace was beaten by Dooku before, and its pretty obvious that 1) dooku is not a better swordsman then his own master and 2) he is not better then yoda. which means that palpatine IS at least better then windu. If palpatine wanted too then he could have beaten windu, even if he was (and is) using Vappad (form 7) it wouldent matter sidious is a master of form 6, which for all purposes is supposed to be impossible to master. as for yoda, ive said it before, Yoda IS the head of the Jedi councel, and sam jackson himself has said "im supposed to be the second baddest dude in the PT" he obviously means Yoda (discluding palpatine).

Darth Blender

KenpoKarate
Correct me if I am wrong but didnt Mace and Dooku duel when Dooku was still in the Jedi Order? Another point is this ... Exactly how many times did Paps. actually get to use his lightsaber when all the events of TPM started? I think Paps. is great but he isnt God and he can be defeated. Mace was in his prime. Another point is this ... Yoda and Dooku had a stand off on AOTC, so how good is Yoda at a lightsaber? Just a thought ...

((The_Anomaly))
well, sith train with each other, so im pretty sure palps and maul then palps and dooku would fight each other for practice...

as for yoda, he kicked dooku's @ss, dooku was fighting to stay alive at the end of the fight, u can see it in his movements and his facial expressions. yoda was confident in his look "fought well u have my old padawan".... dooku was hardly winning...

mace being in his prime dosent really mean anything, look at dooku...

ShadowKing
Mace vs Dooku...is that expanded universe?
it isn't mentioned in the movies.

Mace would not have been as rash as Anakin in facing Dooku and
would not have been as overconfident as Obi-Wan. I believe that if Mace faced Dooku and he was bringing crap down on Ani and Obi, Mace would have smoked his a$$ and then force pushed them away from the falling pipe

Windu shouldn't even ask Anakin...just smack that yellow eyed, turkey necked, ridge headed fool down!

((The_Anomaly))
it says on the SW site in Dooku's bio i believe

Ogami Itto
isn't the only way somebody can use a lightsaber effectively is if they can use the force??? so therefore if ur the most powerful forceuser u could beat any one with a lightsaber?

((The_Anomaly))
thats not exactly true, Grievous is better then most jedi and he has no force ablilities at all....

a non-force user could learn to use a saber quite well, the only thing is that 1, the would never be quite as good as a force user, and 2 they would not be able to deflect laser bolts with the saber. both of these are because they lack jedi reflexes.

Ogami Itto
okay that trashes that point then! embarrasment

Darth Blender

((The_Anomaly))
yea, anakins pretty skilled, but this is a mace vs palps thread

Darth Blender

ShadowKing
We know that, at best, Sidious and Mace are equally matched,
Spoiler alert: Sidious attempts false lightning and Mace blocks, either the force of the block or the effort of DS to burn Mace cause him to either drop his human form or become deformed. Mace has DS on the ropes and then whiny boy steps in to snatch defeat from victory

Darth Blender
Nothing to add.
smile

Kenpokarate 2
I agree with you some what ((The_Anomaly)) on Sidious controlling Anakin to kill Mace Windu, however; I believe Sidious was doing it after the lightsaber battle ended, when Anakin was coming into the room. How would Sidious know that Anakin was coming in the first place? I mean dont get me wrong, I think Sidious is an awesome swordsman, I just think that Mace is the better swordsman. As far as Mace Windu being a better swordsman than Yoda, kind of far fetched I agree. On the flip side, Yoda is up there in age. In the novel, after the Yoda verses Sidious fight, Yoda even says that he was to old to take Sidious.

Sidious never beat Yoda in a lightsaber dual. If the movie is like the book, Yoda gets hit with force lightning while he is jumping from one pod to the next and that is how the battle ended. Sidious did not have some great victory over Yoda or anything.

Dooku only beat Mace Windu when Mace Windu was still coming up as a Jedi. Dooku was at one point in time the best swordsmen in the Jedi temple before he went to the dark side of the force. I guess my point is that Dooku only could takr Mace when Dooku was a full feldge Jedi and when Mace wasnt.

star22
My impression was that Palpatine faked losing to give Anakin the final incentive to turn. Anakin had a choice then and could have killed Palpatine. He made the wrong choice.
Palpatine knew that Anakin would show up, so he plays the scene to his advantage.
The novelization hightly implies this while not outright saying it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.