Ken Watanabe as Ras Al Ghul

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SuperMarv
Do you guys think this will work? Rather odd they would have a Japanese guy play his role.

DarkCrawler
It can work.

NoFate007
I've been a big Batman fan, but I never really learned much about this role. Pit of Lazarus, immortality, etc is all I really know about him, but it seems to be ok appearance-wise.

OtterVomit
Well I could comment but it would be spoilers. I'll just say that things are not what they seem. smile

TheFanboy
Well I liked him in The Last Samurai so will see how it all works out.

DirectorFitz
I don't know any history on him besides that he's training Bruce in this film.

RZA
Originally posted by OtterVomit
Well I could comment but it would be spoilers. I'll just say that things are not what they seem. smile

exactly! yes

moviejunkie23
i read the script. what could you guys possibley be talking about?

Red Superfly
I was a bit concerned about him being Japanese in appearance, however, I can understand how hard the moviemakers found the casting process for this character.

Ra's is supposed to look like a man who is from EVERYWHERE. The comics did their best to not tie him to any country - obviously finding someone in real life to play a character such as this would be incredibly difficult. I think they did a good job regardless.

WindDancer
IMO people have kept an image of a middle eastern Ras Al Ghul in their minds. And I think this can be traced back to the Batman Animated series from Fox. Setting aside the ethnic background, Ken looks great as Ras. Specially with the Samurai image he possesses. Great actor and personally I think his performance will be excellent.

DirectorFitz
I don't think there's anything wrong with making him Japanese. It's just like what Tim Burton did when he made Harvey Dent black, and we were all used to seeing him as white in the comics. I think the reason directors do race changes here and there, is because they want to bring the comic book characters into a real world that isn't all white.

WindDancer
I think the writers wanted to make him a japanese to somehow connect that samurai training and skill to Batman. It kinda gives Batman a more discipline and skillful fighter look. Or maybe I'm just looking into it too deep. wink

TheFilmProphet
Actually I agree with that, I'm almost sure that element certainly influenced their decision.

Kainreaver
Im more concerned with acting ability. Ken Wantanabe will be great. I am concerned about Jonathan crane though...How much will the scarecrow be in the movie? Cillian Murphay looks AWESOME. I have a soft spot for the unstable nutcases in films. I hope hes not screwed out of screen time.

FLIPMODE
This movie will suck.

I dont know why you guys are bothering keeping it a spoiler, it's not surprising at all what happens in the movie. If you look at my past posts you'll know what im talking about.

This movie sucks. All they had to do was follow the real story and it would have been great. PLUS, they needed a better costume. And less viallains, but noooo, it's the same mess all over again, with a different visual tone, and a more "serious" feel, but still the same ol crap.

It amazes me that hardcore Batfans cant see that, but you soon will when you'll take witness to the fact that this movie will not make much more than SW: reveange of the Sith made in it's 1st weekend. That's right Batman Begins will make under 200 mil. That equals a disaster in the U.S.

WindDancer
Real hardcore "Batfans" like you call them don't give two red cents if Batman Begins will make less money than SW:Revenge of the Sith. We're glad that there is a new Batman movie and this film is base on Batman Year One novel. And they needed a better costume??? That's silly! Batman's costume looks fine. Get over it.

FLIPMODE
Originally posted by WindDancer
Real hardcore "Batfans" like you call them don't give two red cents if Batman Begins will make less money than SW:Revenge of the Sith.

Not true.

And you will see this movie sucks.

renegadedog
So you've seen it already?

How wonderful for you! I believe you!

Joker1237
Ra is not white, he is from the middle east or something like that. Dont like the ideal of
1 making him from Japan
2 Changing his orgin. He NEVER TRAIN Bruce.

WindDancer
Well, we gotta remenber that comic book movies hardly ever follow the line of the regular series. No surprises as far as changing certain characteristics of some characters. Ra is clear example. But I always see it as an "alternate" Batman world.

ayjay
yeah...thats how i see it.....just anohter dimension ^__^...where some things are different.....

munkiesarus
I must admit when I first saw Ken Watanabe as Ra's Al Ghul, I was a bit dissapointed.

I mean, Ra's Al Ghul was my favorite villain because he was Middle eastern. I mean, not often do you see such intellectualness in a Middle Eastern villain. They're always portrayed as terrorists hijacking and attacking innocent folks.

Ra's Al Ghul redid that for Batman. It's amazing, IMO. Anyway, Ken dissapointed me. But maybe they will make it work. Most probably, but maybe is a fairly unique maybe...

Joker1237
Ra is not EVEN aVILLIAN in this movie. He is the one that TRAINS BRUCE WAYNE.

Thats a BIG MISTAKe.

Change his orgin. Made him some nija, and well maybe even having him change sides.

munkiesarus
Oh. Excuse me. You can breathe now.

Anyway, I made a mistake. Haven't read much about Batman Begins, was hoping to start.

Awwww shucks. So then the Scarecrow is the only villain?

If so, that blows. Ra's Al Ghul was fricken awesome...;_;

Joker1237
yeah I in a RAGE because they change Ra. No middle east background, No tar Pitts of life. Just a guy from Japan who trains Bruce Wayne in the way of the martal arts. Thats a BIG orgin change.

munkiesarus
That is rather...outrageous. He was a great villain.

FLIPMODE
NO, NO, that's NOt what happens in Batman Begins at all!!

Ra's story is different from what you think. Though YES they DID screw up the BAtman and Ra's history, timeline, and Origin of their first encounter,...but it's not as bad as you say it is Joker1237. Just watch the movie, you'll see what I mean.

But still, while not THAT bad, some things still got on my nerves that they changed about Batman.

munkiesarus
Well...that's a rather pleasant relief. Thank you, FLIPMODE.

TMACalicious
I reckon Ken Watanabe as Ra's Al Ghul could work. From the movies I've seen Ken in, he is a really adept and talented actor.

He was awesome as Katsumoto in The Last Samurai, one of my favourite movies of all time.

WindDancer
Is only a movie guys. Ra's character can be manipulated no harm done.

Zod4Life
He looks like he'll do a good job.

FLIPMODE
Yeah harm done.

darth_royke
what you have to realise with adapting a comic book into a film, is that the original story doesnt always work, so changes are done. also, if the films are exactly like the comic book, fans are gonna know what heppens which makes for a very boring couple of hours. lord of the rings was a good example of this. u could hear gasps from even die hard fans went aragorn went over.

SpyCspider
all i can say is.....HEHEHEHEHEH....

hotsauce6548
^^And all I can say is... I know what you mean.

I've already seen the movie. big grin

Darth Macabre
LoL Ras Al Ghul was a good part of the movie. Very interesting

Kainreaver
The actor the got for Ra's Al Ghoul is PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darth Macabre
Actually if you know Batman, for WHO Ken Watanabe plays he looks perfect for the role.

ubu

Kainreaver
But he never said "INFIDEL!!!!!!!!!!!"

sith_darth_jay
what a silly discussion

LOL I hope now that the movie is out, it's understood why watanabe was casted as Ra's

BTW: what a fricking awsome movie.

I love it. Finally batman is was he was suposse to be, not some goodie goodie hero.

NoFate007
Ahem.."he"...was wonderful.

sith_darth_jay
yep "he" was roll eyes (sarcastic)

FLIPMODE
I TOLD u guys. But noooo

Scoobless
Originally posted by FLIPMODE
I TOLD u guys. But noooo

you "told" us....

Originally posted by FLIPMODE
you will see this movie sucks.

and you could not have been more wrong.... it was a good film!... much better than the previous 4

stick out tongue

Leafar
Originally posted by NoFate007
I've been a big Batman fan, but I never really learned much about this role. Pit of Lazarus, immortality, etc is all I really know about him, but it seems to be ok appearance-wise.

That's funny, I don't recall Ras Al Ghul being Asian in the comic book. laughing

tpaquin
Man, that made me so happy...

chucktaylor
Hahaha! This Batman movie rocks! I never expected "him" to be it!

LousyBoy
Yeah, really.. a twist in the plot for no real reason other than... Ras Ahl Ghul is a devious man.. haha.

WindDancer
Agree it was a good twist.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.