Is Yesterday Real?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Elessea
If yesterday has already happened, Then does it still exist, or is it just a memory. Does anything actaully exist outside of the moment we are experiancing right this second?

debbiejo
Cool question..I guess it could be viewed as past present and future and not being separate, but all walking side by side. I don't know if yesterday really goes away if some can still see people from the past walking around, people that have died. Also, if time is an illusion, then these three are all happening all at once, but we've fragmented it...

There, is that confusing enough.. stick out tongue

leonheartmm
dunno, after all even what we are thinkin about right now is the past and not the absolute present, meaning that there is no difference between a person whose actually lived that moment or a dummy that has been planted with the same memories in their brains, theyll both believe the same thing and act the same way{in the same enviornment}, so u can never even be sure if YOU are indeed YOU and not just a couple of memories that MIGHT or MIGHT NOT have been yours or any1else's for that matter.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Elessea
If yesterday has already happened, Then does it still exist, or is it just a memory. Does anything actaully exist outside of the moment we are experiancing right this second?

Your title is different to your question - is yesterday real - yes it is, we are product of yesterday. Does it still exist - no, it was and passed and it is no more. There is only now.

FeceMan
I've been thinking of time travel a bit lately, and I simply do not believe it is possible. The past is nothing; there is no way to travel upon the threads of time that compose it so that one could change something. Similarly, the future has not yet happened; one could not travel forth to something that does not exist. We live one moment at a time, and everything else is memory.

King Burger
The physical past is gone, but it still
becomes part of the fabric of the present,
both through the continued existence of
the same physical world that existed a
second ago, as well as though memories
and the effect they have on our present
behavior.

Tough idea to think about, still.

Tassie

'Today' is the result of 'yesterday'. Each step we've taken has led to this moment. What we have to understand is that what differenciates yesterday from today is only the shift of light to darkness>> a product of the progressions of the earth, etc.
Yesterday exists as every breath/ every step we took, yesterday, actually existed. Memory keeps yesterday real; if it isn't in our memory, it cannot exist to us.

Tassie
Originally posted by King Burger
The physical past is gone, but it still
becomes part of the fabric of the present,
both through the continued existence of
the same physical world that existed a
second ago, as well as though memories
and the effect they have on our present
behavior.

Tough idea to think about, still.

thumb up

Elessea
I think I've been reading to much Pratchett...stick out tongue

rodeoangel
Did any of u ever think that you could just be in coma and is imagineing every thing thats happened your whole life.......

GCG
no ; thats just a dream

SaTsuJiN
I think its like a phase.. it goes from a vision (the future) to reality (now) and then finally becoming a memory (the past)

xXLauriëXx
ello there pipfoot big grin you should read The Langoliers by Stephen King, he has a stab at explaining that.. it's a bit far-fetched, but a good read all the same!

WindDancer
Yesterday is gone and what matters is the present not the next day. Live the moment not the past or the future. For me yesterday existed but now is gone. Must move forward.

Tex
There are patches of the universe where time does not exist. Now if time does not exist you would think that the place would not exist, but it does.

So yes yesterday was real.

Fishy
How do you know there are parts of the universe where time does not excist? If time does not excist that means there is nothing possible, because if they do not have there own time they have our time...

Just because Mars has no life doesn't mean it doesn't have time...

So basicly if there is no time, there is nothing there that can be defined because with something that can make you have time there is nothing there... Now don't even get me started about nothing because its an impossible question to answer, fact is however that without time there is nothing...

Now on the question is yesterday real?

Yesterday is as real as everything we know that isn't around us anymore, it was there... But does it still excist in anything else but our minds? No...

Tex
Einstein's theory of relativity.
Only a theory but knowing Einstein...

Alpha Centauri
Milla is correct.

All we have is now. Everything that will/may come is conceptual, everything that has been is gone.

-AC

Storm
St. Augustine wondered what it is that makes the past and the future real. How can the past and the future exist, when the past is already gone and the future is yet to come? For men, both the past and the future are abstractions, constituted by the human mind. For human beings, they only exist in virtue of the present. In men' s experience, the present is all that exists. We will always exist in the present.
If you would travel back to the past, it would no longer be the past but the present.

peterKSL
Originally posted by Storm
If you would travel back to the past, it would no longer be the past but the present.

This is somethin that I wondered in the past, whether our experience in the past, could have another term, since we are not merely just talking about the past/present... we are talking about overlappings...

Jackie Malfoy

I think that it is just a memory because after the other days go by it will be in our minds but be a memory after a while.JM smile

Sar
This argument sounds really familiar and i think i read about it in a book recently. just to ask tho are the people arguing that yesterday is no more than a memory saying that it lacks the validity of the present moment and for all we know it might not have happened?

i was just thinking though that if everything in the past is a memory then u could argue that every milisecond becomes a new memory; not just every milisecond but every fraction of time. Is there a present or is there just the past and the future?

intense.

i agree though that asking whether yesterday was real is different than asking if it is a memory.

¨†¨The Mystíc¨†
I'm always thinking that I'm just dreaming my self. But one day, I forgot what day it was but when I feel of my bike and I feel realy hard I dident feel anything. That was werid I said to my self. The the next morning I felt the pain. So what I'm thinking to myself right now is that when we die we will see our true selfs.

Sar
isnt that a contradiction? dreaming yourself i mean. cause you'd need a to be aware of your true self to be dreaming of soemthing other than that. I think messed . do u mean this world is the dream of your true self and that dying is like waking up?

LordFear
Time itself is merely a metaphysical concept. Intangible and created as a means by Humans to better grasp the significance of their existence and make some kind of sense outta it all. How can you travel through a concept? Technically yesterday is real because we acknowledge it. To soemone like GOD, time doesn't exist. A millenia from now whether in the past or future is just the same as today. So in a way yesterday exists to us humans because we need it to be. But in a broader sense no because time is really something man thought and devised.

leonheartmm
we live in a dream of our own making, we in turn are creations of someone else's dream, time and space are concepts that exist only as oddities designed to refrain us, but the are created by nothing other than our selves, and hence our dreams.

infact one mans perception of time might be completely different from some 1 else's perception of time, what one man believes to be space might be another man's explanation for time, n the possibilities are infinite.

leonheartmm
id like to think of it as a single bubble of thought, wandering aimlessly in the ocean of nothingness.

Sar
This is getting all very abstract. Id like to think of living in the present with thoughts of the furture and memories of the past. Though theyre my own theyre still real just different from other peoples perceptions.

LordFear
Seriously is it that radical to think that maybe just maybe, we do not exists???
Just maybe we are the figment of a higher being's dream or imagination and when we die, it's because the dreamer wills it???
That in essence death is not the cessation of life but rather the cessation of that particular segment of the dream which is our own individual lives.
So humanity IS the dream itself and within that dream are billions of different segments, some intertwining with another while others completely seperate which is what our lives are and why we have friends and family???

leonheartmm
its not radical at all, however it IS very terrifying to a lot of people, because it suggests things that we cant handle or cant come to accept.

Telpy
What a friend of mine had to say on the topic:

laughing

Phoenix

Me and my friends used to talk about this. we also said, is anyone else real, or are they only real for as long as they are in your sphere of conciousness, then disappear when you have no further use for them?

Personally, I think yesterday's real. If I made something yeaterday, it'll still be here today! big grin

Moonunit
OMG like yesterday was so totally like real cos I went out and totally got my hair straightened and I like totally bought this like mini-skirt and it is like only 2 inches wide and my mum was like OMG you so like totally cannot wear that thing, and I was like oh yeah you are like so totally old fashioned, like you have like Busted on your Ipod, anyway she was like totally angry so I left and went to my friends house and so got drunk and stuff, and then these guys came, and I was like totally go away, cos they all thought like I was totally asking which I was so like not!

leonheartmm
OMG like yesterday was so totally like real cos I went out and totally got my hair straightened and I like totally bought this like mini-skirt and it is like only 2 inches wide and my mum was like OMG you so like totally cannot wear that thing, and I was like oh yeah you are like so totally old fashioned, like you have like Busted on your Ipod, anyway she was like totally angry so I left and went to my friends house and so got drunk and stuff, and then these guys came, and I was like totally go away, cos they all thought like I was totally asking which I was so like not!

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Moonunit
There is one born every minute...

LordFear
that's pretty sad.
And to think that there exist a number of such "individuals"

linkslittlehelp
of course yesterday existed.But it was in th past.if not everyone would say "i didnt do my homework because it was do today but i didnt do it cause yesterday never existed so my unfinished home work never existed unless its finished...witch its not"

argen angel

yes and it doesn exsist , if you look at physics time IS a physical diamension. So their for it still exsists, like how if we drive a car down a road the road behind us still is real it is thier but we are not on it.
(technically you can visit it to just have to figuer out how to back up your car)

i hope that awnsers your question

Sar
Originally posted by LordFear
Seriously is it that radical to think that maybe just maybe, we do not exists???
Just maybe we are the figment of a higher being's dream or imagination and when we die, it's because the dreamer wills it???
That in essence death is not the cessation of life but rather the cessation of that particular segment of the dream which is our own individual lives.
So humanity IS the dream itself and within that dream are billions of different segments, some intertwining with another while others completely seperate which is what our lives are and why we have friends and family???

i was just thinking of the implications of this. would morality really have any meaning if yesterday wasnt real? if we're all just a dream itd completely undermine our responsibility for our own actions.

also, if we're a figment of someone elses dream it seems we would have no personal identity. you'd be entirely reliant on the imagination of this higher being and as such would you exist at all? i think to question the reality of yesterday is to question the existence of yourself.

just some thoughts- i think this thread is quite interesting

LIL-G
i look at yesterday as the past.

FistOfThe North
well, to me, there really is no yesterday... I think "yesterday" is really an extension of today cosmicly speaking. Made made this "yesterday" concept. to me it's just been 1 day since the beginning of time. We just move aroung the sun thats it.

@F1
Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away, now I know there here too stay, oh I believe in Yesterday.

Sar
Originally posted by @F1
Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away, now I know there here too stay, oh I believe in Yesterday.

nice one big grin just what i was thinking

@F1
wink

s|m
The past, or yesterday, has to be real, otherwise we wouldn't exist messed

Atlantis001
Obviously, the only thing that links us to "yesterday" is our memory, by that I would say we have to analyze what memory is. I mean, if we had no memory then we would have no past, and it is the belief we have that the past determines the future, what creates the necessity to believe that the past is real.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.