How is teleporting from the mind?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Blair Wind
why is teleporting something with the mind? were is the tele part of the porting? i mean why is i called teleporting? telekinetic, and telepathic i can understand...but teleporting?? can someone explain please?

platinumx
I think maybe its because the teleporter sees where they gotta go in their mind. but damn, that is a good question

stormfront13
it maeks sense. but theres also hydrokinesis and pyrokinesis so not everything that deals w/ the mind has to have tele in it i guess but thats a good question

AngryApocalypse
no such thing as hydrokinesis or pyrokinesis? Pyro has pyrokinesis and hydro-man has hydrokinesis LOL

ayjay
this is a good question....i have an answer...english is a very strange language where many rules contradict each other and there are a suprising amount of 'exceptions'...>__<

wannabe
Telepathy, telekinesis, teleportation, pyrokinesis etc. is originally ancient greec.
"tele" simlply means "far" or "distant"
"pathy" means "feeling" or "sensing" on a mental level
"kinesis" means "movement"
"portation" means "to change the location of something/one"
"pyro" means "fire"
Though all the mentioned powers are publicly associated with the mind, the words themselves have nothing to do with it, they discribe a process.
Petrokinesis for example means stone- or rockmovement and could be done by simply grabbing a stone and throwing it, though noone would call the process of throwing a stone in this fashion.
Any power, incl.Teleportation, that is thoughtcontrolled could be called mental or psionic.

Sage Tessa
*hugs Wannabe*

Thank you, thank you, thank you. cry

You really saved me some time there. wink

stormfront13
apocolypse i never said there was no such thing as those read my post again

Blair Wind
ok i have another related question.....were do the teleporters go when they teleport? i know about nightcrawler and his dimension but what about the others???

ayjay
who others?

Blair Wind
like all the other teleporters in the X-men comics, excluding those that go into other dimensions.....(like nightcrawler)

ScarletSpider

Not to doubt your etymological skills, as it was nice to have someone at least whip out a dictionary, though there are Grecian roots, many also come from Latin. Though Latin did take a bevy of words from Greek and canibalize them, so it could all be disputed. For instance, I found two etymologies for the world etymology, one from Greek and one from Latin.

Latin, various examples of those roots in action during ancient times, and the modern terms thus stemming from them:
petra, ae, f. -- rock, the word has Greek roots, I believe.
pyra, ae, f. -- funeral pile, pyre, whereupon bodies would be burned/cremated, coined by Vergil.
hydria, ae, f.--jug, urn, waterpot. Has Greek roots, but this and other terms were coined by Cicero himself.
tele- -- at a distance, Latin, taken from Greek
pathy/pathos -- straight from Greek, meaning emotion, sympathetic

Abyss, though not a teleporter, teleported/exiled people to another dimension.

Thin Man, while not a mutant, teleports through sub-space, shifting and bending through a sub-dimensional plane to wind up elsewhere on earth, or whever he wants.

wannabe

wannabe
Originally posted by ScarletSpider
. Not to doubt your etymological skills, as it was nice...

Just tried to keep everything on a level that is easy to understand and allows to easily create a connection between the words and their comic-meaning.

Blair Wind
ok thanks guys.....u guys are the best...i think this thread can die now unless anyone has any questions on teleporting or anything mind related...or u can just ask questions on whatever......

eleveninches
'tele' just refers to things from a distance.

e.g.
TELE phone
TELE vision

Marvelgeek
We could name teleporters and see if we know how they teleport.
There's nightcrawler who's been done.
Hmm Magik... she controlled disks in limbo (hell) that could take u anywhere, anytime.
Locus of the mlf.
Lila Cheney.
Blink.

munkiesarus
Originally posted by Sage Tessa
*hugs Wannabe*

Thank you, thank you, thank you. cry

You really saved me some time there. wink

Ahahahahahahaaaahahah....

Going-Rouge
Originally posted by Blair Wind
like all the other teleporters in the X-men comics, excluding those that go into other dimensions.....(like nightcrawler)
You know when kurt teliports, don't he go thu an alternant demintion of fire and stuff, the smoke and sulfer he makes when he teliports leavese questions, but dosen't he go so fast after ripping a hole in the dementions that the "Other" bieings can get out in time, if they know he's even there?

Blair Wind
hey thats a good question, how come he's never gotten hit by the beings in the other dimension when he teleports?

Going-Rouge
Light speed!!!! it don't bother him

FieryBalrog
um, tele just means "distance". Like telephone, which has nothing to do with mental powers big grin

telephone = distance sound
telekinesis = distance movement
telepathy = distance feeling

etc.

Blair Wind
ok i already got that from everyone its just that I was reading this book by some person and in that book (to ride pegasuas?) some people were "Talented".... meaning that they finally scientifically proved things like telepathy and telekinises and precog......all mental powers....and that was ok until later in the book she writes that some people also have teleportation and I was like what does that have to do with the mind??? so i started the thread......but now my question is how does Nightcrawler teleport and not hit anything in the other dimension?

Going-Rouge
Originally posted by FieryBalrog
um, tele just means "distance". Like telephone, which has nothing to do with mental powers big grin

telephone = distance sound
telekinesis = distance movement
telepathy = distance feeling

etc.

port= travel + tele= distance
It requires some sort of mental powers to open the alternate dimension,

Swanky-Tuna
Telefrag = teleporting in just to frag somebody.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.