Best Mafia/Mob Film Of All Time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthdumbledore
Which film Would You Say Is The Bets Mafia Film In The World

Cinemaddiction
"Goodfellas".

jaden101
i second that...

ragesRemorse
Godfather. Now that the obvious is out of the way, you can now close this thread, or ask what is the second greatest mafia film of all time. Godfather started it all and is still yet to be matched.

Cinemaddiction
Obviously, people disagree. "Goodfellas" and "Godfather" both followed the same formula, but "Goodfellas" was a hell of a lot more gritty, and less dramatic. It doesn't get any seedier than Scorsese.

ragesRemorse
I totally agree, but I mean, godfather sterotyped an entire nationality. I think godfather was just an all around better film. The suspense in Godfather is unparallel to movies of its genre. The writing of both movies are just as good when you compare the final product. though the acting in Goodfellas is spectacular, I have to give the edge to Godfather. I have seen both movies upteen times and there are scenes from the Godfather that will stay with me forever from the way they were presented from the actors, however that may be due to writing.

If you look at it from another persepctive. Godfather may be the grandaddy of all mafia flicks because of the subject matter. Godfather told a story that introduced you to the mafia and told it's history through a family. Goodfellas told a story about a guy who happened to be a gangster.

as for goodfellas being more gritty, i dont know that i would say that. It was obviously more of a ruthless flick, but the violence was apart of the story. Where as in Godfather, the violence was an extension of the character. In goodfellas, the violence was a character in itself, and its name is joe pesci smile lol

sk8stuff09
"the hitman"

Cinemaddiction
You mean the Chuck Norris movie? laughing out loud

Capt_Fantastic
The Godfather, part 1 and 2.

I've never liked Goodfellas. It just really seemed boring to me. Plus, Joe Pesci is irritating, to me. And I really liked The Untouchables. Quite possibly the only movie I've ever seen Kevin Costner act in where he didn't look totally uncomfortable.

ragesRemorse
I think i am the only person who though the untouchables was terribly boring movie. for the record...kevin costner kicked ass in prince of thieves.

I think the top 5 mafia flicks for me are

godfather I&2 (they go hand in hand)
goodfellas
once upon a time in America
sicilian
Carlito's way

MildPossession
Goodfellas
Godfather Trilogy
Angels With Dirty Faces (all Cagney ones)
Scarface & Scarface('31)
The Funeral
Infernal Affairs Trilogy
Mean Streets
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Point Blank
Once Upon A Time In America
Donnie Brasco
Sonatine
Get Carter

I could go on, I love all the above, can't name one.

Well mafia/gangsters there.

jaden101
i wonder how no-one ever mentions "men of respect" as a top gangster movie...

for those of you who havent seen it...its an italian mobster re-enactment of the shakespere play "Macbeth"

and its crap... stick out tongue

Ketchuptome
Scarface maynes

Cinemaddiction
Neither "Scarface" or "Carlito's Way" are mafia films.

moviejunkie23
scar face is about organized crime..its close enough
i say scar face as well

TheFanboy
Gotta go with Godfather on this one,

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by moviejunkie23
scar face is about organized crime..its close enough
i say scar face as well

Nnnnno..we're discussin' mafia movies, and there are plenty to be discussed without making substitutions. See what I'm getting at? Besides, "Scarface" was more about one persons rags to riches story.

Jackie Malfoy
I would have to say the movies "Godfather" and "Godfather part two" great mod movies ever made!jm thumb up

MildPossession
Scarface is counted as a gangster/mafia movie, so can be mentioned in here.

It is a mafia, because mafia now in films has been enlarged to include the likes of plot that Scarface is about.
Not just films like Godfather.

IceWithin
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
The Godfather, part 1 and 2.

I've never liked Goodfellas. It just really seemed boring to me. Plus, Joe Pesci is irritating, to me. And I really liked The Untouchables. Quite possibly the only movie I've ever seen Kevin Costner act in where he didn't look totally uncomfortable.

couldnt agree more

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by MildPossession
Scarface is counted as a gangster/mafia movie, so can be mentioned in here.

It is a mafia, because mafia now in films has been enlarged to include the likes of plot that Scarface is about.
Not just films like Godfather.

There's a pretty clear distinction between "gangster" movies, "mob" movies, and "mafia" movies. "Scarface" is a gangster movie, it has absolutely nothing to do with the mafia, and shouldn't be considered such. Anyone who lumps the two together, obviously has no respect for either genre by claiming they are one and the same.

How anyone could claim that a movie about a Cuban druglord's rise to glory and subsequent downfall has ANY sort of ties to the mafia is beyond me. Hell, it's barely a gangster movie, IMO! Sammy the Bull (Gotti's hitman) said himself that the Mafioso don't dabble in the drug trade.

Furthurmore, anyone recall in "The Godfather" where Don Corleone said that his family would not enter the narcotics business because of the risks? Someone enlighten me as to what Tony Montana was? A Cuban druglord, correct? Just because Montana conducted business *like* the mafia doesn't constitute "Scarface" being called a mafia film. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, and label it a gangster film.

I'm not making exceptions to include movies that don't include traditional mafia movie staples just because it's "like" any other movie. That's lazy.

"Scarface" isn't a mafia movie by any definition. If Tony Montana were Sicilian, then you'd have an arguement.

edwinian
Godfather

(I was going to joke around and say The Whole Nine Yards!)

MildPossession
Well good job I respect film, and not lazy when it comes to film. smile

MildPossession
But yes, I do like Mafia films obviously.

BlazingBarrells
i pick mafia!! that movie rocked.

BlazingBarrells
i think people only relate scareface as a mafia film because he was hardcore like mafia peeps. i down to my very bone consider it a gangster film, and the best ganster film ever. but one more thing, if mafia movies dont deal with drugs, where does goodfellas fit in. If i am not mistaken that movie's whole third act was about drugs.

MildPossession
Drugs come into Mafia world anyway, just not all.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by BlazingBarrells
i think people only relate scareface as a mafia film because he was hardcore like mafia peeps. i down to my very bone consider it a gangster film, and the best ganster film ever. but one more thing, if mafia movies dont deal with drugs, where does goodfellas fit in. If i am not mistaken that movie's whole third act was about drugs.

Those people are also wrong. Is "King of New York" a mafia film? No, and you could pound for pound compare Frank White and Tony Montana. They both literally ran their respective areas, and a gang of thugs on their sides, and fought to the death. You could even throw in Sonny from "A Bronx Tale". They are all the same, although Sonny wasn't as violent.

That said, "Goodfellas" wasn't a mafia film, it was a gangster film. Like I said, distinct diferences. The most obvious of which being that mafioso have BLOODLINES that are easily distinguishable in movies, and from the examples, that only stands out in "The Godfather", which happens to be the only true mafia film mentioned so far.

BackFire
Knockaround guys is the best mafia movie ever................

I couldn't resist, sorry.

jaden101
i think the reason most people think of scarface as a mafia film is because of Al Pacino

jaden101
throwing into the mix

donnie brasco

CBright7831
Goodfellas

BlazingBarrells
good point cinadd. isnt the story of ray liottas character about the mob, or am i mistaken havent seen it in a while so not sure.

BlazingBarrells
and another thing. on many many many top ten mafia movie lists., goodfellas is always on it. ??if it aint about the mafia why? or do they just add gangster flicks within the mix of mafia films.

Smoothcriminal
Good fellas.. always loved that movie

sexyking
i dont beleive you people can talk about mafia films and not talk about the last don that was brilliant.

eleveninches
1.Untouchables
2.Godfather Trillogy (overrated IMO)
3.goodfellas

jaden101
goodfellas isnt about the mafia in the sense that none of the three main characters are "made guys"...2 are irish and so would never be made

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by jaden101
i think the reason most people think of scarface as a mafia film is because of Al Pacino

..but Al Pacino has literally played everything. Satan. A cop. A bank robber.

throwing into the mix

donnie brasco

"Brasco" is a mob movie, just like "Goodfellas".

goodfellas isnt about the mafia in the sense that none of the three main characters are "made guys"...2 are irish and so would never be made

..and if you have to be "made", then it's obviously not a mafia movie, considering you're born into your family.

I've never seen "The Last Don", personally.

BlazingBarrells
"Brasco" is a mob movie, just like "Goodfellas".

Well, if it is a mob movie, and i clearly understand that difference between the two. Why in most top ten MAFIA films Goodfellas is always on it. ?????

Cinemaddiction
Don't ask me, lol. People assume the mafia and the mob are synonymous, and there are huge differences. You can include it if we're talking about Mob AND Mafia films, just not Mafia.

BlazingBarrells
lol aight, ill take your word for it.

Red Superfly
Toy Story. Don't mess with Mr. Potato Head or you'll find your balls in a vice.

BackFire
I just saw Goodfellas today for the first time, and I have to agree with those who say it's the best.

I'm not usually one to go for mafia movies, I generally find them boring and redundant, but goodfellas was different, I was engrossed during the entire movie, was really impressed.

FrankWhite69
I love Goodfellas, then Godfather but the best mafia movie around is deff. knockaround guys, hahahahahaha nah im kiddin i hope not to get banned for saying that GOODFELLAS thats all.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.