Batman the Animated Series (from the 90's)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BOPRecruit 16
Hey Everyone,

It looks as though no one has really done a thread completely dedicated to one of my favorite animated series of all time: Batman the Animated Series, from the early to about mid-1990's. So, now all you fans of the cartoon, can feel free to discuss, post images, and almost whatever you want about it here. May I warn you to not cruelly bash anything that anyone says and what not. Also, I will post some pictures, links, and my comments about the series later. I have both volumes one and two of the Batman boxset, so I can't wait to talk about those.

Well, Enjoy,

Sodapop Allerdyce

Joker1237
and vol 3 will be out next month yeah,

BOPRecruit 16
can't wait! eek! rock smokin' by the way, how many volumes will there be in total? i can't remember how many seasons there were. been so long since i seen the series on tv and sadly it's been ages since it's been on tv. made me sad when they took it off cartoon network.

wow eek! did you know that john glover, who plays lionel luther on smallville did the voice of the riddler and that ron pearlman (hellboy) played the voice of clay face? just found that out at imdb.com. i already knew that mark hamill (star wars) played the voice of the joker. dude, is he ever good at that joker laugh! cool

here's a link to the voice actor cast list at imdb.com: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103359/

Complete credited cast:
Kevin Conroy .... Bruce Wayne/Batman (voice)
Loren Lester .... Dick Grayson/Robin (voice)
Efrem Zimbalist Jr. .... Alfred Pennyworth (voice)
Bob Hastings .... Commissioner James Gordon (voice)
Robert Costanzo .... Det. Harvey Bullock (voice)
Jane Alan .... Summer Gleeson (voice) (as Mari Devon)
rest of cast listed alphabetically:
Michael Ansara .... Dr. Victor Fries/Mr. Freeze (voice)
Edward Asner .... Roland Daggett (voice)
Lloyd Bochner .... Mayor Hamilton Hill (voice)
Melissa Gilbert .... Barbara Gordon/Batgirl (voice)
John Glover .... Edward Nygma/The Riddler (voice)
Mark Hamill .... Jack Napier/The Joker (voice)
Aron Kincaid .... Waylon Jones/Killer Croc (voice)
Roddy McDowall .... Jervis Tetch/The Mad Hatter (voice)
Diane Michelle .... Candace
Richard Moll .... Harvey Dent/Two-Face, Batcave Computer, Additional Voices (voice)
Diana Muldaur .... Dr. Leslie Thompkins (voice)
Ingrid Oliu .... Renee Montoya (1992-1994) (voice)
Ron Perlman .... Matthew Hagen/Clayface (voice)
Diane Pershing .... Poison Ivy (voice)
Brock Peters .... Lucius Fox (voice)
Henry Polic II .... Professor Jonathan Crane/The Scarecrow (voice)
Liane Schirmer .... Renee Montoya (1994-1995) (voice)
Henry Silva .... Bane (voice)
Helen Slater .... Talia (voice)
Arleen Sorkin .... Dr. Harleen Quinzel/Harley Quinn (voice)
John Vernon .... Rupert Thorne (voice)
David Warner .... Ra's Al Ghul ('The Demon's Head') (voice)
Paul Williams .... The Penguin (voice)
(more)

Regular guests:
Frank Welker .... Isis the Cat / Werewolf FX / ... (7 episodes)
Neil Ross .... Soldier / Jake / ... (7 episodes)
Adrienne Barbeau .... Selina Kyle/Catwoman (6 episodes)
George Dzundza .... Arnold Wesker, the Ventriloquist/Scarface / Chubb / ... (6 episodes)
Linda Gary .... Dr. Nora Crest / Berty / ... (5 episodes)
(more)

TheFanboy
Nice post Bop, I had no idea Glover was on TAS. So he's now been in one Batman cartoon, one Batman movie and one Superman TV show.

BOPRecruit 16
yeah, i had no idea either. well, the next time i see their characters pop up in the toon, i'll try to place their voice and all. so cool that those actors played those voices! esp. since i've seen a episode or two with clayface and it never dawned on me that it was ron pearlman until now. wow!

adeptus32
Vol 3 releases on DVD on May 24th. Here is the Netflix link. It includes a breakdown of episodes in this volume by disc.

netflix.com/MovieDisplay?trkid=3257&movieid=70030877

Asian Hulk
I love Diane Pershing .she is Poison Ivy's voice.

BOPRecruit 16
also, another noteable guest star in the series was john rhyes-davies as the voice of some russian mob boss or owner of this club or what not. can't remember. he was only in one epi.

gosh, such a long wait until the next boxset comes out! *ack* lol

one of the animation errors that i noticed are when richard grayson is just himself. when there are close up shots of him, his eyes are dark brown. farther away, they're baby blue. like they're supposed to be. i think. that's how his eyes are most of the time and in the episode that had flashbacks to dick's past and he had blue eyes the whole time of those flashbacks. oh well. minor detail.

Joker1237
minor indeed.

BOPRecruit 16
sorry, little things can bug me like that sometimes. well, i'm almost done watching the volume two boxset! can't wait to see barb become batgirl! eek! i liked her costume design better much later in the series. when it had yellow in the design.

BOPRecruit 16
last night, i was watching the commentary for all of the episodes available, and the one for "harley and ivy" in volume two, one of the guys mentioned that the three men who were hitting on harley and ivy as they were at a stop sign, they were supposed to resemble the main guys who make the show and were commenting. they totally dug it. i loved it.

Joker1237
yeah and heres the paddle. I never forgot that, its pretty funny.

The laughing Fish I wish had commantary, But didnt.

I did like Almost got em, But that DOT kinda of bugs me.

BOPRecruit 16
what dot?

i sure hope that "the new batman the animated series" goes to dvd boxsets. not "the batman" that's on kid's wbs this year. but the one that came after batman t.a.s.. where the looks of the characters got updated. you know? little changes were made to the heroes suits and looks of the villians tweaked a bit like the joker and poison ivy. i prefered the original look of ivy not the updated one.

RogueGambitdare
Look it's in technicolor. Amazing.shock

BOPRecruit 16
after going through all of the episode commentary, i now know why there were "errors" in the coloration of dick grayson's eyes and the bat symbol upon batman's chest. since the toon was hand drawn, since this was the time before they did everything on the computer and digitally, they made coloring errors at times since they were rushed and didn't have time to get everything done to perfection.

WindDancer
I didn't know Ron Perlman was Clayface. I better get me vol. 3 fast.

faradayslaw
I still think this is the greatest superhero cartoon ever made. Although Batman Beyond was good too.

I thought Harley Quinn was the coolest character in the whole show.

Joker1237
Has to be Joker, The guy was witty, and with out Joker, there be no Quin, Well sort of. I sure with out Joker, Dini would have never thought of Quin lol.

Darth Jello
i agree with kevin smith-the animated superheroes done by paul dini are the best incarnations of the characters, Mark Hamill is the greatest joker, and holiday knights is the best batman story.

And the best movie? Mask of the Phantasm

HamillJoker
Hello Everyone.
I've been searching for the past two days of a sound clip of Joker's laugh, and I still haven't found one. Any tips to look? I've tried the BTAS site and most of the obvious ones, and the closest I get are Val Kilmer Batman quotes ::shudder::. I'm planning on buying the DVDs this summer, but it'd be nice to have that laugh on hand. evil face

BOPRecruit 16
hamilljoker: yeah, wav files of sound clips from the batman tas and batman begins are so damn hard to find. only get the crappy batman movies from the early 90's.

-Quick Edit-

sweet! just did a search and i found a wav file of joker's laugh! hope you like and there's plenty of other quote's there too at SoundAmerica: http://soundamerica.com/sounds/cartoons/Warner_Brothers_Cartoons/Batman_the_Animated_Series/ - scroll down the list until you see the one called "joker.wav"

to everyone: well, since there are only three volumes of batman tas, i sure hope that "Batman: Gotham Nights" comes out on dvd boxset. looks like there were only about two to three volumes. it's made by the same guys. came out in the late 90's. it's the series where the character's looks were updated. for example, black bat on bat's costume, yellow on batgirl's, included nightwing and young robin, pale ivy, etc. also, new look to joker's face. no yellow eyes and red lips. well, to get a better idea of what i'm talking about, here's a link from imdb.com: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118266/ . anyways, if anyone knows if this series is coming out on dvd, let me and everyone else here know!

Darth Jello
gotham girls is still on and in production, it's a web toon but has all the original actors and animators.

BOPRecruit 16
oh yeah. i remember those. saw a few of them at the wb site when it was new. thanks. i'll check that out sometime. are there any other web toons of batman anything?

dawsey28
What a great night it was on Boomerang!!! My favorite Batman villain (The Joker) and my favorite Superman villain Lobo back-to-back.

Good stuff.

Zod4Life
Awesome series and I'm new too watching it.Good thing it's on Boomerang.I can catch all of the goodies I've missed!!

BOPRecruit 16
yeah. i got really upset when they took it off the air on cartoon network. it would be nice if they brought it back and show it over the weekends sometime.

also, for those of you who have all three dvd boxsets: in volume 3, did you notice that on disc 3, about half way though, the main titles change and the show is called "batman & robin"? i was just wondering whey did they do that in the first place. also, as for the late 90's revamped series, was it really called "batman: gotham knights" or was it just plain ol' batman tas? *confused*

Wickerman
Originally posted by BOPRecruit 16
yeah. i got really upset when they took it off the air on cartoon network. it would be nice if they brought it back and show it over the weekends sometime.

also, for those of you who have all three dvd boxsets: in volume 3, did you notice that on disc 3, about half way though, the main titles change and the show is called "batman & robin"? i was just wondering whey did they do that in the first place. also, as for the late 90's revamped series, was it really called "batman: gotham knights" or was it just plain ol' batman tas? *confused*

I'm not sure why they did that, but i also noticed (when i first saw them) the ending song was different. I loved the initial ending song, and was kinda upset but...meh....they brought it back with "The terrible trio" so it's all good stick out tongue

~wickerman~

dawsey28
Batman & Robin has well, Batman & Robin (Dick Grayson).

Batman Gotham Knights has Batman, Robin (Tim Drake), Batgirl, and Nightwing (Dick Grayson).

See the difference?

Batman Gotham Knights was also known as The New Batman Adventures.

Wickerman
Originally posted by dawsey28

Batman Gotham Knights has Batman, Robin (Tim Drake), Batgirl, and Nightwing (Dick Grayson).

See the difference?

There were plenty of episodes before season 3 with Dick Grayson, without them being called "Batman and Robin" . But yeah, they most likely just wanted to emphasize the bond between the two.

~wickerman~

dawsey28
Yes, that is true but wasn't Batman & Robin the start of a new season?

Wickerman
Yes, that is true but wasn't Batman & Robin the start of a new season?

erm I remember all season 3 was Batman and Robin, but BOPR said it was just from the middle or something What the f**k?

~wickerman~

BOPRecruit 16

See the difference?

yes, i see the difference. i've seen almost all of the episodes from all those series. the reason that i'm worrying so much over those titles is that it might or might not come to dvd. since batman tas ended at volume 3 and all. i probably shouldn't have to worry. but i must! haven't heard any news that they are going to release it.

EsteemedLeader
ron perlman, who does clayface, as previously stated, has done voices in just about every superhero cartoon. off the top of my head i remember:
clayface from batman and justice league
general zod from superman
slade from teen titans
some villain from static shock
lord hood from halo(video game)
hellboy(movie)
some guy in alien:ressurection(movie)

BOPRecruit 16
which voice actors and actresses that were in batman tas used in justice league, justice league unlimited, and batman beyond? other than batman, joker, etc.

estranged
i just bought boxsets 1-4 and when looking on amazon it had batman volume one and then batman the legend begins are these the same things???? because i dont want to buy 2 of the same boxsets

Joker1237
IVy and Harley were used in JL. TYhe same voice actors.

And the Clock King came back, and YES, SAME Voice actor.

BOPRecruit 16
Originally posted by estranged
i just bought boxsets 1-4 and when looking on amazon it had batman volume one and then batman the legend begins are these the same things???? because i dont want to buy 2 of the same boxsets

i thought there were only three boxsets so far. of the three seasons from the early 90's series. there hasn't been any for the late 90's revamped one yet. that i know of. there were side short movies for batman tas. i think the one you're talking about might be the first batman tas side movie. not sure. never really saw those. except "subzero" and "the mask of the phantasm". since i love tas so much, i must got those movies! *ack* lol stick out tongue

Joker1237
the revamp one will come out later at the end of 2005 I heard.

Rumors are, they will be a commantry on a few of em, Mad Loved maybe, or Gotham knights. 4 cammantarys I heard.

Kelly Renee
I wish the folks behind 'The Animated Series' would make a live action film. *sigh* dreams...

BOPRecruit 16
joker1237: thanks for the heads up! good to know. so that is sort of soon. better late than never! big grin hope they do it in the same format as the tas ones.
kellyrenee: that would be cool. but i like them just where they are now. doing what they do best. superhero cartoons. not many animators like them branch out into live movies. btw, have you ever seen the other toons that they made?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.