The Worst Script of Star Wars IV-VI

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JohnConstantine
Easily ROTJ had the worst script. Some of the things that were said were either not needed or simply obvious statements. Like the conversation between Luke and Vader on Endor. Obvious comments that didnt need explaining.

Mr Parker
You got that right Gangus. Return of the Jedi easily has the worst script of the three films.Some of the dialogue in that movie was really stupid.I cant help but laugh my butt off when I hear people say they think that horrible movie is the best one.It did not have the magic of its predecessors at all.

Lord Shadow Z
What dialogue didn't you like in ROTJ?

I mean for me ROTJ was my favourite. The only problem I had with it was the stupid re-appearance on a brand new Death Star (with a new weakness), and the battle on Endor was a bit too long for me.

GangusGrievous
well there was just too much wrongness associated with the film. I mean c'mon now. The battle of Endor dragged on throughout the whole movie. Ewalks are a crock.

Mr Parker
It was way too much of a dejavu experience all over again as well.I mean he had already fought Darth Vader so since he is fighting him again,the fight should have been better than Empire but it was not near as good.and hadnt we already seen them blow up the death star once before? geez,where is the originality here that the first two had? I was so dissapointed in that film that I only saw it once so I dont remember all the dialogue in it very well but i wont forget that one stupid line where C3PO announces that if you fall into the pit you will be slowly digested for a thousand years.Do people in the star wars universe live for a thousand years all of a sudden?also at times,the acotrs just seemed to be going through the motions and wanted to get the movie over with because the way they delivered their lines at times was not at all believeable like it was in the first two films.and that whole Luke and Leia brother and sister thing was just so stupid.I hated it from beginning to end with Leia in a slave outfit in the beginning to the end with Dath Vader standing around with Ben Kenobi having a jolly old good time at the end.At that point the movie was so stupid they should have added on-Hey Ben,remember the time I killed you? laughing It just did not have the magic and pizzaz the first two films had at all and I actually hate it even worse than TPM and AOTC.

Ushgarak
ROTJ's script history is very messy. Not actually as messy an ANH, but that was for different reasons; what ROTJ was going to be changed significantly between ESB and ROTJ, and then changed quite violently during ROTJ itself, when the finale was moved away from Had Abaddon (original name for Coruscant, though like many of GL's first script names, I would have been surprised if it had ended up being used) to the new Death Star, causing the plot conflict/confusion outlined in other ROTJ threads around here.

But aside from not giving the Han/Leia romance any impetus, I don't really think the script was the problem, it just shows symptoms of the organisational problems the film had. Plenty of bits are fine- Han is amusing near the start, Luke, Vader and the Emperor spot-on dramatic at the end, without making it melodrama. Ok, the Ewoks are a pain, but that's not the fault of the script, it is a conceptual thing.

ArthasKnight
Han doesn't need to be funny. The whole point of Han is he's a tough ass. He lost more and more of it after ANH until ROTJ comes along and he's comic relief. I couldn't stand that.

Red Superfly
Han was comic relief because he was a tough ass.

He's so macho that when the Ewoks turn up, he's out of his depth. He gets pissed off with them, draws his gun. It's funny BECAUSE he's being a bad ass where being a bad ass ain't such a good idea. He feels out of place when the Ewoks begin their little dance. He's just being Han Solo - and because of the situation, he's funny.

Also, Han evolves from being a selfish billy no mates, to a respected miliatary leader within the Rebel Alliance because he gave up his selfish ways. Han is a great character who goes through an evolution in a tale that, at the end of the day, is a moral one. Han also is rewarded for being selfless - his friend Luke Skywalker comes to save him. Han is a great character and a moral vehicle.

Some people forget that this is Star Wars, a battle against good and evil, and that good will always triumph - obviously Han had to overcome his own demons to end the series with such absolution.

Han always had a comic relief side to him anyway.

ArthasKnight
I think Han should have stayed the selfish guy and not become the comic relief. The whole "Hey, it's me!" and "I told you it was gonna work!" and trying to blow out the fire just doesn't seem right (yeah anyone'd try to blow out the fire but still, it seemed like it was meant to be funny) and it didn't seem like they stayed true to Han's character at all.

Red Superfly
To each his own, I guess.

Mr Parker
Well said Arthas.I myself thought that was all just put in there for comic relief because it was clear that the star wars movie franchise was going to wrap up with that film being the final in that trilogy.That just didnt sit well with me either seeing Han act like that because he was nothing at all like his original character from the first two films.Jedi went against everything that the previous two films had accomplished.

ArthasKnight
Exactly. He lost his image.

Ushgarak
There's no problem with that. There is such a thing as character development- as Superfly says, that was what Han was meant to become.

The problem is that he's mainly boring in the film- he simply doesn't have a really engaging plotline in it, as he did in the other two. Nor does Leia. Like I say, though, that's a concept issue, not a scripting one.

Harrison Ford himself was never 100% happy with ROTJ. It's all a shame, because as everyone knows, his plot is the foundation of ESB's brilliance.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.