Dunk Contest Rigged?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Myth
Did anybody see the McDonalds High School Dunk Contest? It had to have been rigged. A girl, Candace Parker, beat 5 male competitiors and it was with a horribly shitty version of Dee Brown's no look dunk. She jumped straight up covered her eyes for the shortest amount of time possible then dunked it. It was so pathetic. I didn't see the other dunks but it should never have been the winning dunk, no way. Either the judging was off or if the guys were that bad, then they shouldn't have been the competitors to do it. There is no way that there was no guy that could have beaten that shitty dunk.

ElectricBugaloo
a chick dunking automatically adds some points.

Myth
It wasn't a better dunk though. It should be judged on best dunk, not who dunked it. To get to the finals she did the simplest one hand dunk you could possibly do. I'm so angry. This was a bull shit competition. It airs tonight at like 5 or something. Check ESPN for station.

Linkalicious
thanks myth...i'll be sure not to watch it now. Sorry to be sexist, but screw girls when it comes to sports. They actually had a dunk contest for the WNBA and 1 of the 3 competitors actually managed to dunk it....what kinda competition is that?

ElectricBugaloo
spud webb gained extra points by being shorter than everyone else. that's how the world works. get used to it.

boxofdeath2.0
it's only a high school dunk contest, don't get too upset about it.

Myth
Sorry but it's retarded. When I read that a girl one I was actually excited to see what she did. I was ready for a 360 or something. But no, it was the most retarded dunk contest I've ever seen. Spud Webb actually did great dunks though. I thought that he did deserve that dunk championship even without his height. One of his dunks was a completely smooth 180 off a really high bounce. I'm not a sexist, but I'm an equalist. Which includes being judged equally goddamnit!

Myth
Check out this article by Jason Whitlock of ESPN that was released today. I completely agree with you Whitlock.

I apologize for being the voice of reason here, but this sports fan has almost zero interest in seeing women dunk a basketball. It's a nice little novelty act that has a very short life span.

In fact, female slam-dunking as a spectator sport died this week when Candace Parker won the McDonald's All-American slam-dunk contest.

Candace Parker became the first female to win the slam dunk contest at the McDonald's High School All-America game.
Yes, I'm well aware that the PC crowd -- and the men and women who measure gender equality by women's ability to become more like men -- hailed Parker's victory as a giant leap forward for womankind. ESPN.com even led its site with a photo of her dunking.

It was just another leap backward.

No disrespect to Ms. Parker, but she was handed the title. Her dunks were unspectacular. She won because the boys in the contest failed to complete their dunks.

Her participation, in fact, undermined the credibility of the contest. Why take it seriously? The people running the all-star game didn't. Eventually, neither did the judges.

Hey, I don't want to sound as intolerant as Vijay Singh. But this is different than Annika Sorenstam visiting the PGA Tour. Sorenstam has the necessary skill to compete with the men on the PGA Tour. Parker has almost none of the skills it takes to compete with boys her age in a dunk contest. I'd rather see Parker compete in the men's game than the dunk contest. She'd have a better chance competing in a game than a dunk contest.

Seriously, Parker dunked as well as an old Larry Bird -- when he had a bad back.

I realize that Parker was being used to drive interest in the event. I realize that sports -- even high school sports -- are nothing more than a vehicle to drive TV ratings. It's all entertainment. I was just disappointed with the unrealistic news coverage of Parker's victory. It was condescending and patronizing.

Her pedestrian dunks didn't advance equality or women's basketball. The judges and the crowd treated her like she'd performed with a disability. Seven judges gave her a perfect 10 on her final dunk. Had a healthy boy completed the same dunks in an all-star dunk contest, he might've been booed off the court.

Is that the equality we're looking for?

Parker is one of the most talented female athletes in the world. She's worked as hard as any boy to hone her skills. So it means little when she wins a contest tilted in her favor. That's degrading. And so is the subsequent patronizing news coverage.

The story could've been told straight. No one had to pretend that this was some sort of historic moment in sport. But that's not what we do when it comes to women's sports. We overhype everything. We create monumental myths. There are people who still believe that Brandi Chastain and the U.S. women's World Cup team pulled off the equivalent of the Miracle on Ice.

That's because there's a strong, militant and active segment of our population that too often measures women by the same standards as men. And who says that's a good thing?
Because of the dunk craze TD's game is often overlooked.
Think about it. Men's basketball has overdosed on the slam dunk. American players don't have fundamentals because, among other reasons, they spend too much time working on dunks. There are many people who would argue that the dunk has been slowly killing American basketball.

But we see the dunk as an advance for the women's game. Why? Because some women -- in the name of equality -- are dead set on doing every dumb thing we do. The women's game shouldn't be played above the rim. That's not where women excel. It's not what they do best. Their game is different. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Why do we insist that women repeat the same stupid mistakes men do, and then call it progress? Men do really dumb things. We see weapons of mass destruction where there are none. We over-emphasize sports. We place athletic achievement ahead of academic achievement. We spoil and pamper child athletes and then complain when they act spoiled and pampered as adults.

Do militant feminists realize just how stupid we are? No, I'm being serious. For the life of me I can't figure out why any woman would see equality in being anything like me or any of my friends. We have no relationship skills and even less patience. We're a walking, talking, eating, somewhat educated weapon of mass destruction. We pretty much tear apart everything good in our life out of fear that the good things are really bad things just waiting to get us.

It's a vicious cycle that women would be wise to avoid.

(And, yes, I have major drama in my life right now. I just wanna curl up in a fetal position and tell my mama all my problems. But she doesn't care. She probably doesn't like me, either. I didn't mean that mama ... if you're reading. I know you love me ... I think ... Don't you? Call me on my cell.)

Where was I? Oh, the dunk contest.

Why can't we just celebrate Candace Parker's game? She has lots of game. She's not the best girls' prep basketball player because she can dunk. She has soft hands, quick feet, great vision, a nice shooting touch, good moves around the basket. That was good enough to make Larry Bird a superstar. It should be good enough for Candace Parker.

She shouldn't have to hide her eyes in a horrible Dee Brown dunk imitation to be considered a star.

Myth
btw: I should have specified that 5 was pacific time. My bad.

Linkalicious
THAT was a great article and it was perfect to the T. That dunk contest was the worst showing of sports i've seen in all my life. I don't give a damn if that girl can dunk....ALL of her dunks were the same dunks the tallest kids in my 8th grade class tried to do when they were just little kids. That was an outrage to say the least...

ElectricBugaloo
did you see the college one last night? that was amazing.

wcorder_365
you have got to be kidding me your saying they rigged a dunk contest ok how lower the goal so she can dunk yea right your just jelous she won because shes a woman i got a question for all u guys who seem to be pissed about this how many of you can dunk a basketball on a 10' goal not one thats been lowerd prolly not very many of you get over it she won fair and square and im sure she could out play most guys in basketball

and by the way im a male

Myth
Did you see the dunk contest? You must not have. Did you even read all of the comments? I was EXCITED to hear that a girl won the contest. It wasn't till I saw the video that I was pissed because they were the shittiest dunks ever done. She was given bonus points for being a woman and having the crowd behind the fact that she was female. If she won it because of good dunks, I would have been very happy.

Myth
Originally posted by wcorder_365
you have got to be kidding me your saying they rigged a dunk contest ok how lower the goal so she can dunk yea right your just jelous she won because shes a woman i got a question for all u guys who seem to be pissed about this how many of you can dunk a basketball on a 10' goal not one thats been lowerd prolly not very many of you get over it she won fair and square and im sure she could out play most guys in basketball

and by the way im a male

Btw, this summer I completely my only 2 dunks of my life on a 10 foot hoop. They both were just about equal with her dunk that got her into the finals. Now, my 2 dunks were about the shittiest of dunks you can possibly do and they were still about as good as hers. So using that theory, apparently if I was a girl I would win the High School national dunk contest. And trust me, if I ever win a national dunk contest, it will be bull shit just like it was for her to win it.

Also, don't let my comments of the contest degrade how good she is. I'm not trying to take anything away from the girl because what she did is definitely impressive and I'm quite sure she is better than me at basketball. But she is not better than all of the high school guys in the nation at dunking. No way in hell.

tanjot
HAHA i remember that.. i was shocked too, when i heard a girl won and when i saw her dunks.

tanjot
my opinion, people in the WNBA should make a lay-up contest, where the players can do fancy layups.

Myth
laughing Guys in the NBA have done lay-ups in the dunk contest. The crowd and the judges all hated it.

I actually would like to see WNBA institute a dunk contest though. It could be interesting.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.