Can a director change the style of a DOP?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ant_GT3
I would like peoples thoughts......

Q: Janusz Kaminski has DOP'ed on many of Steven's films......because he has worked on a lot of his films does this effect his personal style, does steven's style over-ride Janusz's?

p.s - Any good sites on Janusz would be greatly appriciated...

Tired Hiker
I would think that Kaminski and Steven are both on the same page when it comes to lighting for film. Ultimately the Director has control over the DP, but usually a Director chooses that DP, if the choice is free to be theirs, because he/she knows that they can communicate well with one another to support the visual integrity of the film.

Kes
A DOP lights the movie by using the information provided in the script and given by the director. Its pretty much what the director wants.
Obviously the DOP will create something according to the info wink
Some directors like to work with the same crew. The communication is better.But I do not believe that affects the DOP work (since it depends on what the script calls for).

Boy that answer is confusing blink

Bad Boy
Michael Bay has worked with 3 different DOP, but the films still have his distinctive style!

Ant_GT3
good work guys, keep posting.....

A Talking Dog
yeah, DOP is usually just the head camera man, its all up to the director.

Kes
The DPO is the head of the camera crew but he does way more then that.He helps the director with the sets (specially exteriors), he does the light, he chooses the material (projectors, camera, film, etc) he also helps the director with the camera angles, the shots,etc.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.