Aids

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix
I've just been studying this in A level Biology, and I was wondering...

How much do you really KNOW about AIDS and HIV?

Because I learnt a lot of stuff, and I understand it a lot more now, I was wondering what falsehoods and truths everyone else knows.

If this is too bad a topic, I don't mind if you close it Raz.

yerssot
it depends on how much someone claims that it's all the fault of gay people and that it's their decease, phoe messed
and I do hope no one will claim that

Phoenix
well, if people want to play the blame game, we could blame the Resus monkeys....

But my thread, so my rules, so no blame game wink

yerssot
just pointing out a falsehood some people still believe about aids and hiv

Phoenix
yeah, I was just wondering what everyone knew or thought they knew about it

Phoenix
I was gonna post it last night so people would reply straight away, but the modem had a hissy fit

Evy_O
I did a project about AIDS some years ago, I don't remember many things, but I'm not completely illiterate about it erm
We also studied it at Biology two years ago I think.

ChinaNiki
I know young heterosexual females are the fastest growing population of AIDS and HIV infected people. It's definitely not a gay thing. And you need to be careful about the kinds of condoms you use because Nonoxydol-9 can increase the chances of tranferring the HIV infection to a female partner because it irritates the vaginal wall.

ChinaNiki
And as a P.S. genital warts and herpes can be given from one person to another even while wearing a condom. One just takes skin to skin contact and the other is mucosal contact. Just when you thought it was safe to have sex again. eek!

Linkalicious
All i know is that Magic Johnson had it...and it doesn't seem that he has it anymore. Apparently the rich can do anything...

Fire
I know a bit about it, however I think I know enough big grin

ash007
i know the basics

Berlin
I know a lot messed
I took a Microbiology class and the teacher just kept and kept talking about the virus.
I have read a lot about the crisis in Africa and Asia
I know some about how the retrovirus works messed
And that's it

Darth Revan
I know that Forrest Gump's wife had it sad sad sad

j/k

I wouldn't say I know a lot about it but I know what happens when HIV first enters your body

ooo and I watched this video in my science class about how some cats (big cats that is) are naturally immune to viruses... I don't feel like explaining it unless somebody asks

Berlin
Explain it, please

cornponious
I FIRMLY believe Human Immunodeficiency Virus is actually a form of biological warfare created by the US government.

I just can't believe that something like this can just pop up out of nowhere.

corn

Linkalicious
wow how brilliant....so the US government created it and then shipped it to South Africa so it could mass produce like a colony of bees and then they re-introduced it in large quantities to the United States?

Fire
corn that's the most insane thing I ever heard

Phoenix
erm, so back to a SERIOUS topic...?

Fire
Phoe what actualy is the purpose of this thread if I might ask?

yerssot

Fire
I know yerss there isn't much to discuss about it

yerssot
just answered your question

Phoenix
I just wondered if their were any silly rumors, or anyone who was spectacularly misinformed, or idiotic prejudices

Fire
lol like corn big grin

Phoenix
yes

Darth Revan
You're a little paranoid, aren't you... blink

And it didn't just "pop out of nowhere"--it comes originally from some kind of monkey in Africa. The first human to get the disease was a French airline steward.

Fire
ooh you sure about that DR?

shaber
There was an experimental cure in the New Scientist - a blood filtration machine. But most unfortunately nearly 10% of the virii managed to find their way back into the patient's body weep

yerssot
it's always the french to blaim laughing out loud

Fire
I once heard, dunno if it is true could have heard wrong think it was on national G that ppl can be immune to Aids (they will be positive but they'll never get aids)

BackFire
All I know is that I don't want to get it.

Darth Revan
Well that's what my science teacher told me anyways

Don't get me wrong I got nothin against the French, in fact, the French are the shiz

And that thing about people being immune to AIDS, I think there might be something to that cos I watched this show about cats (wild cats, that is) who are immune to what is supposed to be the "feline version of AIDS". Something about how cells all have little pores in them, but certain big cats started lacking those pores so it was impossible for the virus to enter the cells
Could be the same thing you're talking about but with people

Phoenix
yups, my bio teacher told me, there are some african prostitutes they are doing tests on, because they haven't got aids, although they've slept with tons of guys who have it

Phoenix
yeah, a Rhesus monkey bit him. don't know how the Rhesus monkey had it tho... blink

yerssot
that's what you get when you ignore the "do not feed" sign

shaber
It is a mutation of the Simian Immuno Deficiency virus.

Fire
I read an article in National Geographic that there is a connection between being immune to HIV and being immune to The Black Plague

Kaleanae
It was passed to humans possibly through the mishandling of contaminated chimpanzee flesh, some poeple in Africa eat meat that comes from monkeys. messed

"They (scientist) believe the two strains of Simian Immunodeficiency Viruses (SIVs) first came together in chimpanzees who had eaten monkeys carrying the different strains."

^^^

Kaleanae
People that have Sickle Cell anemia are immune to Malaria

crazy_c
this is a very informative thread yes

Darth Revan
I know there are a lot of different theories about how it came to be a human disease

Another is that it comes from people in Africa eating monkey brains sick

Phoenix
I know! we're actually having a serious discussion!

erm...

is this a first?

yerssot
no, and phoe, better keep us in a good discussion before it goes off wink

sk8stuff09
i have AIDS so i know alot....i know that i'll die pretty soon.....

Darth Revan
Somehow I don't believe you...

yerssot
cause his biography says he's born in 1900?

eezy45
laughing

eezy45
I will write what I know.

AIDS is the name you use when the disease breaks out.
If you're only infected you call it HIV positive.
HIV is very dangerous because it works with RNA instead of DNA
(ribonucleic acid instead of deoxyribonucleic acid), and converts it to DNA only if/when it is in a cell.
So our immune system is - if it 'catches' a HIV virus - unable to 'read the code' and can not produce antibodies.
Another thing is that the HIV virus changes its structure so that - if there are antibodies -
(there always are only a few) they wouldn't fit after a few days.

yah... basic knowledge.

eezy45
lol no one wanted to know i see stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.