The Next Generation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ChickinMeat
http://generation_next.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3139705

I have seen threads coresponding to xbox2 and that, but i thought, i would make a thread that corresponds to all the new consoles.

click the link, its pretty informative, even if they are just speculations, have a browse, and then discuss!

Red Superfly
I think this next generation is coming far too soon.

It feels as though the current consoles have only just found their feet, and I still consider the PS2, GC and XBox fairly new. Also, they, and XBox in particular, haven't even reached their full limits of what they can do.

It's as though gameplay means f**k all now. It's more about pushing polygons these days. Bah, I feel like an old man having a whinge, but I think there's still plenty of life in the current consoles.

I mean, look at the graphics alone - do we need anything any better? Seriously, WHY do we need more polygons? Are developers that useless that the only way to make good games is to have more hard disk space?

Wireless controllers? Whoop de do! The next generation of consoles is more like "Last Gen +" rather than "True Next Gen".

I would have prefferred if they simply researched this new technology, and implemented it when all other avenues of the current consoles have been explored, and then blow us all away with something TRULY next gen, taking human-game interaction to a new level. Wireless controllers? The NES had those!

It's becoming so cold hearted now - where's the love for good old fashioned, brilliant video games that engaged the player with outstanding gameplay rather than flashy graphics?

Some say the golden era of video games is coming to an end, or has been dead for several years now - and I'm starting to agree. It's all about the polygons.

hotsauce6548
No. People won't play a bad game just because it has good graphics.

Yeah, sure, grapics have become a lot more important to players, but it isn't like we totally blow off gameplay.

I do agree with you on the next generation consoles on coming too soon. I feel like I just got them, and there is still plenty of potential in them.

ChickinMeat
Originally posted by Red Superfly

It's as though gameplay means f**k all now. It's more about pushing polygons these days. Bah, I feel like an old man having a whinge, but I think there's still plenty of life in the current consoles.

Ontop of that, the new consoles seem to pushing the fact that they can do many different things, play many different medias, like a swiss army knife of electronics.

but what about the games i say

Some say the golden era of video games is coming to an end, or has been dead for several years now - and I'm starting to agree. It's all about the polygons.

I am also starting to agree, as much as i can enjoy good graphics, i want great gameplay, just like the good 'ol days

but it does seem nintendo has gameplay in mind, compared to the other 2.

JToTheP
I suggest no one buys a launch console, remember Ps2? I'm going to wait one year, inbetween each, AND to find out what games like GTA, RE, etc, contracts are going to which console, I intend to buy 2 consoles, not 3, since afterall "Exclusive" means NOTHING anyway. So who knows what happens, and I'm sure in ANOTHER 5 years, the NEXT NEXT NEXT consoles will be out.

forumcrew
next gen madden

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1136/1113940024.jpg

http://www.nd4spdworld.com/tmp/madden.jpg

http://www.gaming-age.com/media/2005/april/madden_nextgen/1.jpg

SaTsuJiN
I think this next generation is coming far too soon.

Yep.. I remember when I played mario 64 the first time.. I said to myself.. 'this' is what you do when you have a more powerful medium to project your gaming ideas.. you utilize all of the technology to make intuitive control schemes and a great setting.. now its more like.. 'this needs to be flashier.. I dont care if it plays like shit'

Emma718
i agree..they r releasing the consoles out to soon, they should research into it more and all and then release it.

JToTheP
Originally posted by forumcrew
next gen madden

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1136/1113940024.jpg

http://www.nd4spdworld.com/tmp/madden.jpg

http://www.gaming-age.com/media/2005/april/madden_nextgen/1.jpg

FMVs don't say jack.

hotsauce6548
... and theres no way thats gameplay.

Red Superfly
Those Madden screens could actually be legit, if only in a spruced up EA sort of way.

I'm sure the next gen consoles could push graphics like that - but those renders are taken out of context, because I seriously doubt any next gen machine could render that quality with a full team on the screen. One or two players, sure, it'll handle it, but a whole team, and the actual gameplay will be much less detailed. Typical EA bending the truth.

Also, like I said, it's all graphical pizzaz. They are, from a gameplay perspective, the same games still. EA haven't talked about any new control methods, and neither have Microsoft been hyping up new control mechanisms like Nintedno keep chirping on about.

And, the higher the detail goes, the longer the development process, but as far as the game goes, it's the same damn game.

It'll just be the same Madden, with more polygons, just you wait and see.

Smasandian
I think what your going to get with newer, higher technology consoles is that game development will be increased.
Look at the PC right now, if some company wants to make a killer AAA game, it takes over 4 years to make. Look at Doom 3, and Half Life 2. Those took over 5 years to make.
Consoles games on the other hand have alot shorter development time but with higher technology and people wanting amazing games, developers will have to do more crap to make a killer game.

ZomBiE_HunTER
I dont think its coming too early I think its ok. The next gen isnt going to be all about graphics I mean all the games are going to have KICK ASS graphics but, Nintendo is coming out with the Revolution and its going to have a totally unique type of gameplay.

Red Superfly
Yeah, but Nintendo are hardly the market leaders are they?

XBox 2 and PS3 are just, well, the same thing again only with more polygons, and these are the market leaders who seem to be able to sell ice to an eskimo at the moment.

ZomBiE_HunTER
Ps3 looks really interesting because The processor is looking like its pretty powerful but we'll have to wait until E3 and see. Xbox 360 dont sound like anything but like I said.We're are just going to wait.

ChickinMeat
I read somewhere that a lot of gamers have turned back to 'pure' games, where gameplay overtakes graphics, so hopefully, we will see some more 'pure' games coming out for the next-gens.

forumcrew
Those Madden screens could actually be legit, if only in a spruced up EA sort of way.

I'm sure the next gen consoles could push graphics like that - but those renders are taken out of context, because I seriously doubt any next gen machine could render that quality with a full team on the screen. One or two players, sure, it'll handle it, but a whole team, and the actual gameplay will be much less detailed. Typical EA bending the truth.

Also, like I said, it's all graphical pizzaz. They are, from a gameplay perspective, the same games still. EA haven't talked about any new control methods, and neither have Microsoft been hyping up new control mechanisms like Nintedno keep chirping on about.

And, the higher the detail goes, the longer the development process, but as far as the game goes, it's the same damn game.

It'll just be the same Madden, with more polygons, just you wait and see.

they are legit its no secret.. they obviously arnt gameplay but they are legit

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.