Airport security still sucks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KharmaDog
for more of this article go to:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/04/19/airport.screeners/index.html

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that a couple of years ago a couple of planes smashed into a couple of buildings killing alot of people? The response was to go after those responsible, which seemed like a good idea and was going pretty well, and then a detour was taken to take out a country that had nothing to do with it.

Years later, we still haven't solved the problem of the people who masterminded this in the first place, there is a whole load of new people who hate the west, the war that never should have happened in the first place is sucking up the resources and attention of the country that was attacked, and one of the original problems, (i.e. lack of effective airport security) is still pretty much a huge issue.

Fishy
Terrorists are probably going to be a lot smarter then to use a airplane again...

The safest time to fly ever was right after 9/11, Osama is probably not going to be stupid enough as to order the same kind of attack...

KharmaDog
My point is, nothing has really been done other than smokescreens thrown up to make people feel safe as opposed to actually insuring their safety.

And don't count out the use of plane again, their object is to instill fear, and to do it again would achieve those objectives. The other thing is that terrorist groups generally stick with what works.

Fishy
Last them the WTC was attacked they used a truck...

Anyways i agree with you that airtport security sucks and something should have improved... But to say the terrorist would use planes again? They would likely be shot ouf ot the air, unless of course they can hijack a plane closer to the place they want to attack

KharmaDog
There are a thousand scenarios they could still use with planes, but my greater point was as I have said before, any "security measures" taken to protect the american people (i.e. the patriot act or the war on iraq) are dubious at best.

botankus
I heard that they just now outlawed carrying lighters on planes. For years I always wondered why I could bring mine on. Turns out it was just a really long process to remove them!

Lana
Originally posted by botankus
I heard that they just now outlawed carrying lighters on planes. For years I always wondered why I could bring mine on. Turns out it was just a really long process to remove them!

Yeah, I heard that too.

I think it comes down to the people who do the security checks. Last month I flew from Chicago to London, and it was obvious that the security checker people at O'Hare went through my luggage and checked everything -- the stuff wasn't packed as I had packed it. So they obviously did their job. But if they get lazy, stuff like that could happen.

Baylin
well I've just flown over to the USA from England and it wasnt too bad really.
besides which it's for my safety too so I dont mind!

Lana
Originally posted by Baylin
well I've just flown over to the USA from England and it wasnt too bad really.
besides which it's for my safety too so I dont mind!

Yeah really, when I was flying to England and then coming home it took no time at all to get through security, wasn't bad at all.

Fishy
I almost missed my flight last time the chigaco airport O'hara or something security people decided to check my lugage... Damn that was annoying, had to race threw the entire freaking airport just for a chance to get my flight...

Btw: any of you who don't live in the US and flew there recently laughed your ass of because of that greencard form as well?

Lana
Originally posted by Fishy
I almost missed my flight last time the chigaco airport O'hara or something security people decided to check my lugage... Damn that was annoying, had to race threw the entire freaking airport just for a chance to get my flight...

Btw: any of you who don't live in the US and flew there recently laughed your ass of because of that greencard form as well?

O'Hare is an insane airport...I got there about 2 hours before my flight so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Of course, my mom nearly got us lost by turning into the wrong terminal....and as we live in the damn area you'd think we'd know where to go....roll eyes (sarcastic)

PVS
well, while they are searching your luggage, shoes, and possibly body cavities, the problem remains...they were able to smuggle in fake bombs, and weapons.

it all seems to be a series of token gestures to make us feel safe, like having grandma searched to keep everything PC. but this study proves that nothing significant has been done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We are pleased that they recognize the dedication and expertise of the screeners, and we agree with their conclusion that significant improvements will depend on improvements in technology, though we will seek incremental gains through training and testing and management practices," said spokesman Mark Hatfield.

Hatfield noted $30 million has been allocated for the purchase and installment of 147 explosive trace portal machines for the 40 busiest airports in the country. Fourteen portals are already in place.

He also said that $174 million is in the fiscal 2005 budget for research and development of new technology.

"The TSA has just entered into negotiations with two companies to deliver two prototype Backscatter scanning devices that TSA should have in field testing this year," he said, referring to technology that creates photolike X-ray images.

The organization also is looking at multiple-view X-ray machines for carry-on baggage, an official said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

wow, all this new technology boggles the mind! what a bright future in airport
security we have! but while they razzle-dazzle the public with all this hype and great planning, are we supposed to forget that 9-11 happened nearly 4 years ago? wtf was going on that whole time??? werent they planning all this shit when the WTC was still smouldering?

all this technology and security planned, and what has it added up to? confiscation of nail clippers and cigarette lighters! great. i feel safe now...at least my fingernails feel safe...and my lungs as well since i cant light up a cigarette when i get off a plane. but what about the BOMBS??!!?!?!?
i guess thats just superficial

a1hsauce
this past weekend was the first time i had flown since sep. 11... not that i was afraid, i just didnt have anywhere to go lol... but I was surprised that they were pretty thorough at checking people. i mean a walked through the metal detector and it went off. i took out my wallet thinking that was what was setting it off. i walked through it again and like 2 security personnel walked over and they waved the wand over me and checked my shoes and everything. turned out i had a dime in my pocket.

anyway i think that theyre doing a pretty good job. There might be more they could do, i guess its just up to people to figure out what more to do.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.