House OKs oil drilling in Alaska refuge

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KharmaDog
I think that this kinda sucks. I also find it humorous that Bush said that the oil will be drilled and obtained "with almost no impact on land and local wildlife" . You'd figure that a guy with experience in the oil industry would know better, but everyone will believe him, they always do.

Alpha Centauri
There's only one solution for this.

Steven Segal.

The man has saved more villages in icey landscapes than......well than someone who saves them alot.

-AC

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

Steven Segal.

The man has saved more villages in icey landscapes than......well than someone who saves them alot.

-AC

Now that's funny. laughing out loud

PVS
Originally posted by KharmaDog
but everyone will believe him, they always do.

bush could tell the american public that he is jesus christ reincarnated and 50% will believe him. i hardly think this is a revelation stick out tongue

lil bitchiness

Steven Segal.

-AC

I absolutely agree...i can see it now...the screaming, the never ending ammunition in his guns...its gonna work.

PVS
segal doesnt need guns.
he can just snap all their necks with ease. ninja

Alpha Centauri
No he can't.

He's jussa cook.

-AC

KharmaDog
All jokes aside, doesn't this bother anyone?

PVS
it deeply bothers me.
bush is basically raping and destroying the planet,
and all he has to do is hit the podium, and lie through
his teeth while delivering his trademark hand gestures and
monkey faces, and people just buy it.

i think the man is evil right down to the core. however,
nothing seems 'new' to me and nothing he could do
would surprise me. he could push the button and end the world
in a flash, and although my final moments would be of absolute
horror, i would not be the least bit surprised.

thats how i feel about the man
i know that seems harsh, but how could i find
a shred of good in a man who would destroy our environment,
and murder hundreds of thousands of people for the profit of him and
his friends? not to mix issues, but in the end its all about lining the
pockets of his base...as he put it...'the have mores'

a1hsauce
this horrible i remember a few years back watching on tv at school how some Alaskan people were protesting near wild life parks. Now Bush is lettin em drill... Some scientists have already come out saying the oil under alaska isnt even enough to sustain maybe a years worth of consumption.
How much of a difference will the oil in alska make... none!

Fishy
Damn this... I was in Alaska this summer and was already pissed of by the oil line that went through it... Now drilling oil there? Is he crazy, he should go there and realise what he is destroying...

Alaska is so amazing so beautiful, what a waste

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Fishy
Is he crazy, he should go there and realise what he is destroying...

It's not that he doesn't know, it's that he doesn't care.

Lana

Steven Segal.

-AC

laughing

Seriously though, this bothers the hell out of me. I remember hearing that the amount of oil under Alaska is only enough to last a few months anyway. Definitely not worth wrecking a wildlife refuge.

Fishy
Originally posted by KharmaDog
It's not that he doesn't know, it's that he doesn't care.

By god i hope your wrong, but you're probably right... sad

Afro Cheese
I don't really know where I stand on this one. If we need oil we need oil.. nothing you can do to change that.

I guess we better just start working on alternative sources of energy because we are going to run out eventually..

PVS
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
I don't really know where I stand on this one. If we need oil we need oil.. nothing you can do to change that.

I guess we better just start working on alternative sources of energy because we are going to run out eventually..

like bush promised in his first state of the union address?
never gonna happen

Afro Cheese
What's never gonna happen?

Fishy
Not as long as oil can still be sold and billions can be made from it... Some large oil company's like Shell are working on it, but even if they find one soon they will keep it to themselves and probably wait a lot longer until they have lot more money before they release it

PVS
bush pushing for alternate fuel vehicles is NEVER going to happen. he promised it long ago, then companies like GM and Ford developed alternate fuel cars and allowed a select few to test them out. all of the sudden, they were all recalled and destroyed. nothing was ever heard of it again.

PVS
here is a related article:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7188640/

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by PVS
bush pushing for alternate fuel vehicles is NEVER going to happen. he promised it long ago, then companies like GM and Ford developed alternate fuel cars and allowed a select few to test them out. all of the sudden, they were all recalled and destroyed. nothing was ever heard of it again. I never said he would push for it. I said we need to, and eventually we will be forced to. Not within his term, but it has to happen eventually.

Fishy
I never said he would push for it. I said we need to, and eventually we will be forced to. Not within his term, but it has to happen eventually.

Yeah when the oil is as good as gone...

WindDancer
No one is destroying our planet but ourselves! Blaming politics is an ol' lame scapegoat! We drive the cars that consume the oil. We are the ones that ***** about gas prices. We are the ones that consume oil for our jobs, recreation, travel, etc. Because of our high comsumption there are alternatives that must be taken. If we going to around pointing fingers for endangering the wild life of our planet then don't further than a mirror and point. Buy an electric car and not a gas car. Simple but not cheap.

PVS
no, i WILL point the finger because i want an alternate fuel vehicle.
what should i do? be a hermit? well...cant get to work then, cant pay the rent...so i guess the only way i can make a difference is to live on the street?

Fishy
How the hell could we do that?

Politicians are in charge of a country, they are the one's that have a real possibility to change something, how much can we do? Stop driving a car yeah that will work... Politicians and big company's are the one's making money of the oil, they are the one's keeping us from having alternative fuels.. Tons of politicians could change this, none do...

Who'se fault is that? That of the people or of those stupid politicians and company's that can still make money this way. It doesn't matter how much we protest we still need them and they will still make money, nothing much we can do about that.

Afro Cheese
You could use mass transit, ride a bike, etc. Not saying everyone should get rid of their cars but if we really wanted to we could conserve gas.

Fishy
I don't know if you ever saw this country, but we already have problems with trains running on time, and often trains are crowded, a Bus is just to slow...

There is no real alternative, at least not for an entire country

Lana
You could use mass transit, ride a bike, etc. Not saying everyone should get rid of their cars but if we really wanted to we could conserve gas.

If I could do that I would. Unfortunately there's no bus that runs from my house to my school and it's far too far to walk/ride a bike, it's a 30 minute drive. And no one else I know goes to my school so I can't even carpool -- I HAVE to drive.

WindDancer
Originally posted by Fishy

Who'se fault is that?

Our own fault. No matter how you scramble the subject at some point we all share responsibility. Face it there is no easy solution to this problem. Even if a simple solution is found eventually a flaw will follow.

PVS

mass transit in jersey is a joke.
you would think not, since its the most densely populated state.

PVS
Originally posted by WindDancer
Our own fault. No matter how you scramble the subject at some point we all share responsibility. Face it there is no easy solution to this problem. Eventually a flaw will appear.

until i can go to a car dealership and buy an alternate fuel car, no it isnt my fault

Afro Cheese
Yeah well not everyone has the option obviously but a large amount of people do. If you live in a more rural or suburban area you may not be able to go without a car. But for people who live in more crowded areas it is possible to use alternative forms of transportation, people choose not to.

WindDancer
Originally posted by PVS
until i can go to a car dealership and buy an alternate fuel car, no it isnt my fault

Fine you're not guilty. All of us should be like you. Feel better now?

Fishy
Yeah well not everyone has the option obviously but a large amount of people do. If you live in a more rural or suburban area you may not be able to go without a car. But for people who live in more crowded areas it is possible to use alternative forms of transportation, people choose not to.

Depends on where you work and/or have to go to school now doesn't it?

PVS
Originally posted by WindDancer
Fine you're not guilty. All of us should be like you. Feel better now?

yes, i do. thank you for that. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Afro Cheese
Like I said, it's not that everyone should give up there cars, but people drive everywhere these days. If you need your car for school or work then fine, that doesn't mean you have to use it to go everywhere. I'm sure there are plenty of places you drive to that you could get to without a car.

Lana
I know that whenever I'm going into Chicago I take the train there, and either walk around downtown or use the trolleys. I NEVER drive when I'm in the city; I don't need to...plus I don't want to. People drive like nutcases there messed

Afro Cheese
Yeah in cities like New York and Chicago it's more of a nuisance to have a car. I'm probably gonna be moving to New York so hopefully I won't need a car.

PVS
Like I said, it's not that everyone should give up there cars, but people drive everywhere these days. If you need your car for school or work then fine, that doesn't mean you have to use it to go everywhere. I'm sure there are plenty of places you drive to that you could get to without a car.

but thats whats f'd up.
the technology exists and HAS existed to allow us to drive wherever we please for as long as we please without damaging our environmen. why is it not pursued? why is there no real concern on capitol hill? why do big car companies throw chump change toward development of these vehicles instead of making it a full blown reality?

Afro Cheese
Probably wouldn't be a profitable move for them, I suppose.

Fishy
thats the only reason

Lana

Of course not.

PVS

GM made a profit off of the few fuel-cel cars they rented out (see the article i posted). PROOF not only to us, but to those companies that it would generate a substantial profit.

Afro Cheese
Yes but if they tried to make those cars for everyone it wouldn't be profitable. Not everyone can afford those cars.

Fishy
Not to mention that the oil company's won't like it.

Lana
There still are plenty of people who can afford such cars, though...not everyone can afford a car, period.

Remember the government taxes gasoline and the such.

Afro Cheese
Still, I doubt that they could make as much money as they are making now if they switched to only environment friendly cars. I highly doubt a company is going to purposely do something that hurts them financially.

PVS
Yes but if they tried to make those cars for everyone it wouldn't be profitable. Not everyone can afford those cars.

not everyone can afford them because they are a specialty car. if they are mass produced the cost will go down. im sure the first ford model t's cost a fortune.

Lana
If car companies made both regular gasoline-run cars and alternate fuel cars, I'll bet that they'd stand to make a lot of money....because there are plenty of people that would rather pay more for an alternate fuel car because in the long run, by not spending so much on gas, they'd save money.

And like PVS said -- if they were mass-produced they'd be cheaper. Also, new technology is ALWAYS expensive, but over time it goes down fairly quickly.

Afro Cheese
But it still wouldn't be as cheap as normal cars are now for a long time. And you'd think more people would want to buy alternative source cars, but it doesn't seem like that does it? People are still eating up SUV's and minivans instead. They are even giving people things like free parking just to buy a hybrid car.

Lana
Yes, this is true. But consider how gas prices have been going up -- last week it was at $2.50 a gallon here, just for unleaded. That's ridiculous. If they don't level off soon people might calm down on buying gas guzzlers.

Speaking of gas prices, it dropped down to 2.25/gallon this week...I need to fill up my car ASAP so I don't get bitten in case it goes up again.

PVS
People are still eating up SUV's and minivans instead.

well yeah...people suck
but now we are both generalising.
pleanty of people will invest in alternative fuel cars.
those who invest will stimulate growth in that particular industry,
which will bring the cost down as more and more people will catch on.
and who's to say people cant have their cake and eat it too?
is it impossible to dream up a hydrogen powered SUV?
we are conditioned to picture a tiny clown-car when we think
of alternative fuel vehicles, so i make the same false assumption.

anyway, i will accept that there are alot of a$$holes who seem to get off on
burning gasoline and will accept nothing else, but i think (hope...pray)
that they are a minority.

Afro Cheese
Here gas is about $2.39 for regular.

Yeah PVS, I know that some people would buy it but I just doubt it would work on a massive scale the same way gas feuled cars do right now. I'm sure it will happen eventually, but as long as it's more profitable for it not to happen it won't.

Doesn't mean we can't each cut down on how much we drive to try to conserve gas. It's just like a drought... only use what water you need.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by PVS

is it impossible to dream up a hydrogen powered SUV?

This has bugged me for quite a while. I own a jeep cherokee, as SUV's go it's not the gas guzzler that the "urban" SUV's are, but it still is not the most economic thing I could drive.

The problem is that I need a car that can go into the bush and get me out again. I need it for my job, I need it for my favourite pastimes, and I need it for alot of the volunteer work that I do. It is more a tool than a fashion statement (which SUV's for the most part have become).

But I am continually astounded by the fact that no companies have made an alternate fuel 4x4. I'd be all over that in a second. I do see that the oil companies would rather we burn their product so they don't have to waste money on research or responsible environmental practices, but you would think some one would have the seeds to step outside the box.

calvinNhobbes
In response to the question, I am pissed. What can I do? Well I bike to work but that is because I live so close (A mile and a half). If anyone has any suggestions that they think would make a difference I am willing to listen. Boycott a company? Write a letter to a politician? Join an environmental group? Let me know.

Fishy
Bomb it before they finished building it, thats really the only thing you can do....

There is no way the politicians are going to stop this plan now. Of course you could start an action group, and hope that does something, but i doubt anything will ever happen.

Politicians don't care

PVS
here is an interesting related article to
thwart the nonbelievers. people WILL buy alternative
fuel cars. just make them available and affordable.

hybrid car sales are up 81% in the states
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=699701&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

Fishy
Sweet... Its a good start, now lets hope more people pick up on things like that and more start driving them. But they are expensive and seen as less fun to drive. So its going to be hard to replace normal cars anytime soon, even if the government started supporting them more and car company's started making more...

Kykiokushin
Hmm I was going to make a similar thread but decided to just post what i have to say here. Seeing that the gas prices are climbing, does anyone think drilling in alaska will help the gas crisis in america. also does anyone see it beneficial to drill in the arttic in search for oil?

ragesRemorse
how do hybrid cars cut back on global warming? this is so say that global warming is a crises imposed by humanity

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.