Pharmacists 'denying birth control'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tex
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4425603.stm

This has been in the news for some time but I dont know if people outside of the US are aware.

I think its absolutely outrageous that a pharmacist would refuse to fill any prescription. Moral objections aside, not filling a prescription is not doing the job you are required to do.

That its even an issue is absolutely preposterous to me. Any pharmacist who refuses to fill a legal and authentic prescription for any reason should be fired immediately.

Pharmacists should not be given the legal right to not fill a prescription for "moral" reasons. If you cannot fulfill the requirements of the pharmacist job position look for work in another field.

Lana
I have never actually heard of this before, and I'm in the US. And that is absolutely ridiculous. You can have your own morals, but you should NOT be able to deny someone a prescription because of your religious beliefs. At the least, that's not doing your job, not to mention trying to make others conform to your religious beliefs and morals. Disgusting.

IceWithin
I totally agree, it's retarded we decide what to do with ourselves

pr1983
what kind of f*cked up nonsense is this... they should be sacked...

PVS
i've read this before. unfortunately it's never covered in the 'bias liberal media'. people that become pharmacists and pull this crap deserve to be beaten to death with their own bible.

IceWithin
Originally posted by pr1983
what kind of f*cked up nonsense is this... they should be sacked...

laughing out loud

Originally posted by PVS
i've read this before. unfortunately it's never covered in the 'bias liberal media'. people that become pharmacists and pull this crap deserve to be beaten to death with their own bible.

laughing out loud

seriously tho ppl its not THAT awful.. I mean its ridiculous, pointless and stupid but its not as if they were torturing ppl to death

PVS
Originally posted by IceWithin
seriously tho ppl its not THAT awful.. I mean its ridiculous, pointless and stupid but its not as if they were torturing ppl to death

why not? really? why not?

these a$$holes get to violate the freedom and pursuit of happiness of others, and when questioned they give the same old tired bullshit lines like "as an american i should have the freedom to practice my beliefs and express my opinions"

so fine then. if confronted with someone like that, point a gun to their temple and say 'it's my belief that you should not live. and this is america, so my beliefs and opinions should be respected' *bang*

pr1983
laughing out loud

laughing out loud

they have jobs to do, they were failing to do those jobs...

IceWithin
well yes, but u cont obligate them for christ sakes

PVS
well yes, but u cont obligate them for christ sakes

yes you can

ITS THEIR F***** JOB

WindDancer
I was aware of this problem and doesn't affect me or anyone I know at all. This only affects the phamacists business. People have the freedom to go to any other phamacists and purchase their medication without denial. The phamarcists that hold this belief will lose business from customers. Go to Wal-Greens or Rite-Aid. Let them keep their morals beliefs...just take your business to a better place.

Echuu
The man filling the prescriptions has no right for his moral beliefs to overide those of his employer.

IceWithin
Originally posted by PVS
yes you can

ITS THEIR F***** JOB

really? can you? by doing what exactly? beating him up? that won't make anything but trouble for you

Tex
Originally posted by WindDancer
I was aware of this problem and doesn't affect me or anyone I know at all. This only affects the phamacists business. People have the freedom to go to any other phamacists and purchase their medication without denial. The phamarcists that hold this belief will lose business from customers. Go to Wal-Greens or Rite-Aid. Let them keep their morals beliefs...just take your business to a better place.

And what if you live in a little town with only 1 pharmacist?
That's the exact case for many people.

With the morning after pill time is of the essence.

Why should you unnecessarily have to travel many miles out of the way to have a prescription filled elsewhere because a pharmacist refuses to fulfill his job duties out of "moral" beliefs?

IceWithin
well in that case u can beat him up stick out tongue

Tex
boxing

IceWithin
u go girl!

PVS
really? can you? by doing what exactly? beating him up? that won't make anything but trouble for you

then i guess if their religion forbids medication then they can refuse anything. and thats their right to i suppose isnt it?

Lana
Originally posted by Tex

Why should you unnecessarily have to travel many miles out of the way to have a prescription filled elsewhere because a pharmacist refuses to fulfill his job duties out of "moral" beliefs?

Exactly.

Refusing to fill a prescription based on the pharmacist's religinus beliefs is unconstitutional, you know, under the First Amendment. You have freedom to have an opinion, but not to force it on others. And refusing to fill a prescription based on personal morals and beliefs is doing just that -- trying to force someone to conform to your beliefs.

Like I say, disgusting.

Tex
Take notes doll! diva

Or better yet, I think pharmacist's should exercise their "moral" beliefs by refusing to work in a pharmacy that carries birth control.

That way everyone is happy! thumb up

WindDancer
Originally posted by Tex

There can't be just one pharmacist in a little town there is always competition. And where there is no pharmacist near by then you really have to drive miles to a local one. But what other option do you really have if your local pharmacist refuses you a medication? Eventually the pharmacist will lose business and customers. He will be force to sell them. And they can even held liable for any loses or damages to their clients. They can keep their morals but they won't keep their customers that's for sure. That is why we should encourage business like Walgreen's and Rite-aid to expand nation wide.

IceWithin
well if there's ONE pharmacist in one town then he cant have the privilege to do that, but if Id live in in NY and some pharmacist wont sell them to me Id just let it go

IceWithin
Originally posted by Tex
Take notes doll! diva

Or better yet, I think pharmacist's should exercise their "moral" beliefs by refusing to work in a pharmacy that carries birth control.

That way everyone is happy! thumb up

that makes sense laughing out loud

Storm
There can't be just one pharmacist in a little town there is always competition.
I invite you to my town.

Tex
There can't be just one pharmacist in a little town there is always competition.

Many, many many towns are lucky to have 1.

Lana
There's only one place actually in my town where you can get prescriptions filled...thankfully it's an Osco so this sort of thing would never fly.

WindDancer
Originally posted by Storm
I invite you to my town.

I didn't know you were that isolated.

Tex
Originally posted by Lana
There's only one place actually in my town where you can get prescriptions filled...thankfully it's an Osco so this sort of thing would never fly.

Think again...http://www.ppaction.org/ppil/pharm_refusals.html

IceWithin
why should lana think again?

WindDancer
Originally posted by Tex
Many, many many towns are lucky to have 1.

That is why I keep insisting that big businesses like Wal-mart or Target that provide a pharmacy should expand to rural areas. But then the local townsfolk don't want to make their home a commercial area.

But without drifting from the topic. A Pharmacists will eventually be held liable if one their customers develops any injury from neglecting them medication or in this case birth control.

Lana
Originally posted by Tex
Think again...http://www.ppaction.org/ppil/pharm_refusals.html

...in DOWNTOWN CHICAGO?! FFS, I live in the Chicago suburbs!!!

*thinks*

At least I have a Walgreens and CVS within 15 minutes of my house. Otherwise I really could be screwed.

Lana
why should lana think again?

This has occured in an Osco in downtown Chicago. I live just outside Chicago and my family usually gets our prescriptions filled at an Osco.

lil bitchiness
How utterly retarded.

That is his/her job - to give medication not ponder about his/her moral issues - because not everyone upholds the same moral issues as them. Sheesh!

Alpha Centauri
Just another coat of red in Hell, to quote Stephen Brodsky of Cave In.

-AC

Tex
Luckily for me there's nothing but a bunch of promiscuous whore tramps in my neighborhood! We're the pharmacy's best customers! eyes

Tex
...in DOWNTOWN CHICAGO?! FFS, I live in the Chicago suburbs!!!

*thinks*

At least I have a Walgreens and CVS within 15 minutes of my house. Otherwise I really could be screwed.

That's the scary thing. It can happen anywhere. Big cities, small towns.
We need a law that will protect consumers, not pharmacists! schmoll

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Tex
Luckily for me there's nothing but a bunch of promiscuous whore tramps in my neighborhood! We're the pharmacy's best customers! eyes
I wouldn't expect anything less from you Tex eyes

Tex
Morning after pills constitute a large portion of my daily caloric intake! winkiss

Anbaachan
It'd be one thing if it was a small little pharmacy, the owner DOES have the right as an entrepreneur to persue what his goal is. And if that is to have a birth control free place, so be it.

But seeing that it's larger chains that are doing it, well, that pisses me off, almost makes me afraid to go to a pharmacy, rather find myself a planned parenthood ad make friends there. mad It pisses me off because I am a christian, and I have nothing wrong with either pill. I'm actually on Tricyclen lo myself and would probably on the last couple months of a pregnancy right now if i didn't have it. What the f**k?

Unless I see M.D. in their name, they don't have a right to tell me what is good for me and what is not. Medically speaking, the morning after pill does not cause abortions. It keeps the fertilized egg from implanting itself on the uteren wall, which, I'm assuming takes just over 72 hours, thus the 72 hour time limit on that pill. Secondly, it has not begun to grow, so is just a fertilized egg and nothing more. And yes, i am prolife... I just know where to reconize one.

DarkCrawler
What next?

Jehovah's witnesses who refuse to give blood a an dying patient because it is against their religious morals?

Alpha Centauri
Religious populace completely contradicting themselves are already around so I wouldn't be surprised, Crawler.

-AC

a1hsauce
this really does suck, but on the other hand, this will only teach people to wear a frickin condom. its not that hard to put the rubber on. And before people start chewin me out, with the issue of Rape, then yes in this case The morning after pill, I believe should be used.

PVS
Originally posted by a1hsauce
this really does suck, but on the other hand, this will only teach people to wear a frickin condom. its not that hard to put the rubber on. And before people start chewin me out, with the issue of Rape, then yes in this case The morning after pill, I believe should be used.

um...sorry if i dont subscribe to the 'blessing in disguise' outlook, since these people are against birth control of any kind. thats right, condoms are evil too, because 'every sperm is sacred'.

Alpha Centauri
Yep.

Every two hundred million of them....give or take a few mill.

-AC

Lana

It's not just the morning after pill, it's regular birth control pills as well that they were refusing to fill prescriptions for.

Also, women take the pill for more than just birth control -- keeping their periods regular and and to help with acne are also reasons women take the pill.

Ushgarak
Hmm... sorry to go against the prevailing wind here.

But much as I might disagree with their opinion, I am afraid you are all mistaken to say that pharmacists have a right to oblige prescriptions.

I am afraid they don't- a pharmacy is a business, and businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone they like, because it is most definitely illegal to force someone to sell.

All a prescription does is give someone the legal right to drugs that are otherwise illegal to buy- it does NOT force a vendor to sell.

If necessary, someone would have to get prescription drugs from a hosptial if no pharmacist will oblige- but you cannot force the pharmacists.

Destroying or witholding the prescription, of course, IS an offence.

a1hsauce
Originally posted by PVS
um...sorry if i dont subscribe to the 'blessing in disguise' outlook, since these people are against birth control of any kind. thats right, condoms are evil too, because 'every sperm is sacred'.

condoms dont need to be prescribed... unless ur really well hung.

It's not just the morning after pill, it's regular birth control pills as well that they were refusing to fill prescriptions for.

Also, women take the pill for more than just birth control -- keeping their periods regular and and to help with acne are also reasons women take the pill.

my understanding is certain birth control pills are used for that reason but they go by other names. i dunno, im not certain but what im saying is this is a wake up call to all those sexually active people out there who arent careful.

Lana
my understanding is certain birth control pills are used for that reason but they go by other names. i dunno, im not certain but what im saying is this is a wake up call to all those sexually active people out there who arent careful.

Nope, all birth control pills can be used for those reasons. Why do you think women who aren't sexually active use the pill? It's a side effect of the hormones, if you will, but a positive one, and doctors will prescribe a girl birth control for those reasons alone.

BackFire
wow, that's ****ing stupid. They have the wrong job if they're letting their idiotic morals get in the way of providing people with what they need.

Ushgarak
As WD says, they are the ones who will lose the business.

There is no legal solution to this. Even if you could force them to sell, they can just not stock. Like I say, a pharmacy is a business, and you cannot force them to run it that way.

IceWithin
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
What next?

Jehovah's witnesses who refuse to give blood a an dying patient because it is against their religious morals?

laughing out loud that would soooo not surprise me laughing out loud
are jehova's witnesses allowed to use computers?

Afro Cheese
I heard about this a while ago. I don't know why people have to make everything so difficult.

NicktheBassist
this really does suck, but on the other hand, this will only teach people to wear a frickin condom. its not that hard to put the rubber on.

True, but it also isn't very hard to swallow a pill, it is actually, believe it or not, easier. plus, some people just don't like using a condom if there are alternate forms of birth control. it is their choice because other forms of it are available and should be able to be easily attained. And ya know what they say, "its like takin a shower with a rain cote on" laughing

Tex
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Hmm... sorry to go against the prevailing wind here.

But much as I might disagree with their opinion, I am afraid you are all mistaken to say that pharmacists have a right to oblige prescriptions.

I am afraid they don't- a pharmacy is a business, and businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone they like, because it is most definitely illegal to force someone to sell.

All a prescription does is give someone the legal right to drugs that are otherwise illegal to buy- it does NOT force a vendor to sell.

If necessary, someone would have to get prescription drugs from a hosptial if no pharmacist will oblige- but you cannot force the pharmacists.

Destroying or witholding the prescription, of course, IS an offence.

Pharmy lover! mad

tongue10

Capt_Fantastic
Hey, just because they wear the same jackets doesn't make them doctors. They should stop pretending to have standards, just like they should stop pretending they went to medical school.

AdventChild
Originally posted by Tex

This has been in the news for some time but I dont know if people outside of the US are aware.

I think its absolutely outrageous that a pharmacist would refuse to fill any prescription. Moral objections aside, not filling a prescription is not doing the job you are required to do.

That its even an issue is absolutely preposterous to me. Any pharmacist who refuses to fill a legal and authentic prescription for any reason should be fired immediately.

Pharmacists should not be given the legal right to not fill a prescription for "moral" reasons. If you cannot fulfill the requirements of the pharmacist job position look for work in another field.

This really upsets me..... people now days.... they shouldn't let their feelings get in the way of doing their job....

Cosmic_Beings
Originally posted by Tex
Any pharmacist who refuses to fill a legal and authentic prescription for any reason should be fired immediately.

Right! Any pharmacist who refuses to fill a legal and authentic prescription for any reason should be fired immediately! Even if the patient shows signs of forming blood clots and dying if they take just one pill, they should be fired if they still refuse it!

Fishy
This is just insane, i am so happy me and my gf don't live in the US..

For crying out load, what gives them the right to decide what i can and can not take as long as i have a prescription. Its not like it hurts me. Those guys are complete idiots. And their reasoning is just foolish. If you can refuse to give people birth control pills because of morale believes you can blow up the WTC because of Moral believes too.

If thats how America works these days... As long as you have a reason you can do it, as long as it meets your believes, can't possibly hurt other people there believes can you? No thats not allowed...

**** thats just incredibly stupid... Thank god its all insured here and the pharmacy's really have no choice whether they want to give it out or not, and even if they didn't want the goverment would just force them too...

Imperial_Samura
I have got to agree with Ushgarak. While it may seem wrong, the chemist does have the right to conduct business as they wish, as long as it is not causing harm. Just like a supermarket chain may boycott a product line that does not fit with their image, beliefs etc. While the two may appear separate, really the whole of the corporate sector is like that, and morals can play a large part.

And while I don't agree with it, I think don't think it would work trying to force them to do it. Surely it would be easy to simply go to another chemist who are prepared to fill the prescription.

Fishy
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
I have got to agree with Ushgarak. While it may seem wrong, the chemist does have the right to conduct business as they wish, as long as it is not causing harm. Just like a supermarket chain may boycott a product line that does not fit with their image, beliefs etc. While the two may appear separate, really the whole of the corporate sector is like that, and morals can play a large part.

And while I don't agree with it, I think don't think it would work trying to force them to do it. Surely it would be easy to simply go to another chemist who are prepared to fill the prescription.

Normal bussines, a pharmacy is supposed to imrpove the health of people, and if a doctor thinks things like that are needed then a pharmacy should just give it to them... Its their job to give people the medicins they ask for

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura

It is okay for a particular pharmacy to choose not to carry certain products. What is not okay is for an employee at a pharmacy that does carry these products to refuse to sell them.

Tex
Originally posted by Cosmic_Beings
Right! Any pharmacist who refuses to fill a legal and authentic prescription for any reason should be fired immediately! Even if the patient shows signs of forming blood clots and dying if they take just one pill, they should be fired if they still refuse it!

I really doubt a doctor would prescribe anything to a person who would die if they took just one pill. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Tex
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
It is okay for a particular pharmacy to choose not to carry certain products. What is not okay is for an employee at a pharmacy that does carry these products to refuse to sell them.

Exactly. Pharmacies should have signs that inform people that they dont not carry and sell birth control. That way you will know beforehand that you must seek an alternate pharmacy.

silver_tears
Originally posted by Tex

The morning after is now legally an over the counter pill, you don't need a prescription for it here in Canada.

Jackie Malfoy
Originally posted by Tex

I say that is good.Birth control should not be sold anywhere.JM thumb up

Darth Revan
I've heard about that, pretty shitty. Even if you're opposed to birth control, there is no way in hell you should be allowed to deny somebody medication they've been prescribed by a doctor. Like Tex said, any pharmacist doing this should be fired... If they have a problem with giving certain medications to people, they should find a different job. roll eyes (sarcastic)

pr1983
damn double posts

pr1983
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy

excuse me? blink

Alpha Centauri
You'll have to excuse Jackie Malfoy, PR.

She's heavily cretinous.

-AC

Lana

Oh my....

Anyone lose brain cells from reading this statement?

BackFire
yyes im now retardedddddd

smoker4

I'm sorry but http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88/smoker4/lil-jonblinging.png

pr1983
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
You'll have to excuse Jackie Malfoy, PR.

She's heavily cretinous.

-AC

i know, i just never thought... wow...

Oh my....

Anyone lose brain cells from reading this statement?

they were destroyed when a massive ball of rage built up inside me...

Originally posted by BackFire
yyes im now retardedddddd

stick out tongue

Fishy
A good thing? WTF....

Are you really that stupid or do you just like to pretend?

Jackie Malfoy
Originally posted by Fishy
A good thing? WTF....

Are you really that stupid or do you just like to pretend?

You ask yourself that question and then I will give you my answear1jm eek!

Darth Revan
Maybe JM is smarter than we give her credit for. I was mad at her a few seconds ago, but now I'm just confused. confused sad

Jackie Malfoy
Anywho goodngiht guys.JMbuhbye

SlipknoT
I say that is good.Birth control should not be sold anywhere.JM thumb up Are you insane?

Tex
If you're Christian you should not be using birth control or supporting its use. She's only practicing her religion.

Next Venom_girl
raygun Pharmacists took an oath their supposed to distribute medicine. These are the same retards who are trying to strip away abortion rights.
Riot! Storm the pharmacies. Those pharmacists right to sell huh, what about the right of women in poor areas not to get pregnant? Huh, such bullcrap! In refusing to sell, they are denying women their reproductive rights. If you've got religious issues then fine don't buy the products. But don't ruin it for the rest of us. If one has such issues they shouldn't be in the pharmacy business. mad

Lana
Originally posted by Tex
If you're Christian you should not be using birth control or supporting its use. She's only practicing her religion.

She's not Christian though, I don't think.

I didn't think that, despite it's the Church's stance, people actually still believe that contraception is evil messed

smoker4
Anywho goodngiht guys.JMbuhbye

sad

Tex
Pharmacists should also encompass Viagra into their morality protest.
Old men getting boners is ungodly! schmoll

Fishy
Originally posted by Tex

Roman Catholic... There is a big difference between Christian and Roman Catholic

Jackie Malfoy
Roman Catholic... There is a big difference between Christian and Roman Catholic

Yes there is and I am none of above.JM smile

Tex

Trash and trash, no difference.

Fishy
Originally posted by Tex

Big difference,

Roman Catholic has enough trash to fill the US
Christian churches only have enough to fill the east or west side

pr1983
Originally posted by Tex

excuse me?

Tex
You heard right sista! diva

pr1983
Originally posted by Tex
You heard right sista! diva

i'm catholic...

you know i love you tex but jeez...

BackFire
Pay no attention to Tex, it's his time of the month.

Tex
Originally posted by pr1983
i'm catholic...

you know i love you tex but jeez...

I was Roman Catholic too, baptised and even confirmed. I decided to independently research the history of my religion and how it came to exist and evolve. (I wasn't happy with many of its teachings).

Conclusion = Trash.

Dont ever let anything become sacred and beyond reproach. Skepticism is not a sin, its god given and good.

Research Catholicism on your own. You'll find it based on lies and deceit, greed, sexism, manipulation, oppression and power. Nothing has changed much.

pr1983
Originally posted by Tex
I was Roman Catholic too, baptised and even confirmed. I decided to independently research the history of my religion and how it came to exist and evolve. (I wasn't happy with many of its teachings).

Conclusion = Trash.

Dont ever let anything become sacred and beyond reproach. Skepticism is not a sin, its god given and good.

Research Catholicism on your own. You'll find it based on lies and deceit, greed, sexism, manipulation, oppression and power. Nothing has changed much.

i have researched it, and i know what its based on, and yes, i was pissed off too...

but i do still hold the core beliefs (heaven, hell, satan and angels and so on...)...

to me those aren't trash...

it just feels like open season on people like me who happen to be catholic yet aren't complete pr*cks...

Tex
Research more about when and how heaven, hell and Satan came to be.

But that's another topic...

pr1983
Originally posted by Tex
Research more about when and how heaven, hell and Satan came to be.

But that's another topic...

i did... i really did... and yes, it is... sorry...

Tex
It's impossible to hate you Irish (unless you're English) hug!

BullitNutz
Stupid-assed Fundies..... They embrace the free-market system that dictates that if a consumer doesn't like a place of business, they have every right to go and seek a different one, or make their own. Note I'm talking about consumer preference, not things like negligence and whatnot.

Out of the other side of their mouth, they're forcing their religious madness down the throats of non-christians as well as christians who don't subscribe to the same ball of wax as they do.

America was frickin' founded by religious nuts with guns who didn't like the status quo in Europe. I see no reason why the fundies can't just migrate to an area where they can wallow in their own cesspool of sexual/gender/religious/age/racial discrimination, and leave the rest of us alone. These f*ckups are turning America away from freedom and towards religious oppression.

a1hsauce
yes please lets not have this turn into catholic bashing

pr1983
Originally posted by Tex
It's impossible to hate you Irish (unless you're English) hug!

i can't be both stick out tongue love

BullitNutz
yes please lets not have this turn into catholic bashing

I don't plan on bashing Catholics, I plan on bashing fundies. Fundamental Evangelicals like Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, James Dobson, etc. Anyone who wants to reverse the two-hundred-odd years of history this country has in terms of being free from a government that makes law with religious zealotry as the backbone is a hypocrite of the worst kind. They either deserve to be run out of the country or killed where they stand.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.