Those little hints!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ubidoobascooby
watching episode 2 lastnight, and one scene that took me by suprise was Jar jar adressing the senate. After Jar jar called for emergency power on behalf of the chancellor, something I've missed everytime I've watched the dvd is: As Palpatine stands, his eyes are a tingy yellow, very clear pupils, which just before he speaks changes back to his usual deep blue.
We all know Palpy has been affecting the senate, but I'm the kinda guy who likes visual conformation of it happening...I never picked up on that everytime I watched it! eek!

Now before you think about passing it of for lighting effects etc. The only thing real in this shot are himself, his assistants, and the senate stand he sits on. There is a single ambient light above him and he doesn't move for this detail to simply be light shining in his eyes.

Sorry if this is extreemly gay of me and everyone already knew... embarrasment

eXSBass
You know what, let me whip out Clones again and let me see.

eXSBass
Okay, I saw it again. I must say, first I didn't see nothing. Then when you look at his furthest right eye you see it change for a split second to a light yellow and back again.
Good find smile

ubidoobascooby
Thanks! I dunno, now whenever I look at it, it seems obvious. It looks great in slowmo. I mean, he was most likely influencing the senate at the time anyway, so even if it IS random coincidence, it's pretty good timing smile Makes it look cool...
I mean.. who would vote for Jar jar without a little darkside manipulation? heh... happy

eXSBass
Not bad. Let me try it in slow mo

ESP07
Post a still scan

mossman
It's just the lighting.
Somebody pointed this out before a while back.
Everybody agreed it was just the light reflected in his eyes when he moves the position of his head.

umraan
shouldn't this be in the episode 2 forum??

umraan
post a picture too.

LightSaber_Part
I'll go pop in my Ep 2 DVD and have a look for my self. smile

Lord Banshee
Yes can someone post a still?

yerssot
if it's true, it would be a smart move

LightSaber_Part
Well I did not see anything sad
so could some one post a screen-shot?

ubidoobascooby
Originally posted by mossman
It's just the lighting.
Somebody pointed this out before a while back.
Everybody agreed it was just the light reflected in his eyes when he moves the position of his head.

Erm... first, when the effect fades, he's not moving.. second.. I've seen the BTS shot for that scene... there is only an ambient light above him and nothing to reflect light back in his eyes... I guess what I'm saying is, it CAN'T be lighting and I freaking explained this already... Unless you can think of any other reason for his pupils to be pale, then slowly fade to a noticable dark blue.

Anyone that didn't notice, unless you've got bad eye sight or your screens got glare all over it... I can't help you out.

ubidoobascooby
Alright, heres a pic... but I gotta stress, the idea of posting a color comparison pic on the net when it must be compressed and lose color? Kinda defeats the purpose... but.. here ya go...

Darth Bong
Im not too sure of that. It does seem really subtle. But then again this might be on of those weird things Lucas told the effects guys to put in while doing the shot. smokin'

Red Superfly
Originally posted by ubidoobascooby
Alright, heres a pic... but I gotta stress, the idea of posting a color comparison pic on the net when it must be compressed and lose color? Kinda defeats the purpose... but.. here ya go...

Dude, if you increase the sauration you will pick up and magify natural colour anyway.

It's just a random reflection. I think it's just a coincidence. One light can still cause other reflections. Remember, he would have been in a professional lighting rig, so even if there is only one light, the natural reflectiveness of the eye could pick up highlights from just the surrounding environment. Coulda been anything.

ubidoobascooby
Originally posted by Red Superfly

It's just a random reflection. I think it's just a coincidence. One light can still cause other reflections. Remember, he would have been in a professional lighting rig, so even if there is only one light, the natural reflectiveness of the eye could pick up highlights from just the surrounding environment. Coulda been anything.

Yeh.. I accounted for different highlights and admit that that could be it.. but not likely. They have precautions so light reflections DON"T come from off set. Movies would take double time to release if peoples watches, cameras and other things were causing lighting errors. The only problem they still haven't overcome in film is reflection of objects ON set. Like 3PO's head.. which they have to edit out in aftereffects or some such. I already discussed what's on the set and there's nothing in motion to cause a lighting problem.

I'll just think of it as a suttle effect for fans, but suttle to the point that it can be passed of as a lighting error for people who haven't seen OT yet.
big grin
I agree it's probably random but I just don't get what it could be considering it's a slow fade, there's 1 lightsource and he's not moving. Big coincidence it being while he transitions from manipulating the senate to a speech. Effect or not.. to me it's cool. roll eyes (sarcastic)

ubidoobascooby
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Dude, if you increase the sauration you will pick up and magify natural colour anyway.

Yeah that was the point.. to show the natural color in both eyes.. and you'll note, one is red and yellow, and in the later shot with the same effect, it didn't change. Hense.. there's a difference..

ubidoobascooby
man... I'm looking into this waaaaaaaaaay too much....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.