His cape.......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jacob_mw2
What's the deal with his cape?After almost evry fight his cape is in shreds but not the rest of his costume. I thought his costume was supposed to be as invulnerable as he was

David Duchovony
Good question bro. Don't know.

wuTa
he's not invulnerable when he's fighting aliens and people from other dimensions which is when him and his costume get f*cked up alot

Arsenal
If his whole costume got as torn up as his cape does he'd be naked after every major fight.

harnelo
Correct me if I'm wrong. I read somewhere that there's some sort of "invisible force field" emitted by his body that only extends out quite thin. This is enough to protect his costume but not his free flowing cape. And if this is b.s. I think its quite rosy b.s. wink

ayjay
i think its true....supes has a weirdo forcefiled thing happnin...but it like an invisible layer of skin.....so it wouldnt prtect his cape...

DirectorFitz
Actually, I don't think there's a "force field". His costume is made from the blankets he was wrapped in as a baby. Alien-based thread under the yellow sun, is inpenetrable, just like Superman's skin. How the cape rips? I dunno.

DarkAge
The force feild comes from his cells. Cloth doesn't have it.

whirlysplat
Originally posted by ayjay
i think its true....supes has a weirdo forcefiled thing happnin...but it like an invisible layer of skin.....so it wouldnt prtect his cape...

This is correct big grin

riv6672
Originally posted by DirectorFitz
Actually, I don't think there's a "force field". His costume is made from the blankets he was wrapped in as a baby. Alien-based thread under the yellow sun, is inpenetrable, just like Superman's skin. How the cape rips? I dunno.
Not so much a force field, as an aura. At least post crisis. The aura didnt extend much past his skin, which explains why his cape would rip. That, and Byrne liked drawing the ripped cape.
If you saw his costume ripped, it meant he'd suffered serious damage.

Pre crisis, the alien blanket scenario is spot on. Ma Kent sewed the costume under a red sunlight simulating bulb of some kind.
Supes also used to "dry clean" his suit...by flying through the sun.

DCnu, not sure if the aura exists anymore, though it probably does. The armored suit (which he wouldnt need) i chalk up to artistic preference, in the same vein as Byrne's ripped capes...

Mindship
Visually, capes are dramatic, giving a sense of size, motion, energy. Ripped brings drama.
Originally posted by riv6672
Pre crisis, the alien blanket scenario is spot on. Ma Kent sewed the costume under a red sunlight simulating bulb of some kind.Ma Kent. Tech genius. Who knew.

-Pr-
Not so much a force field, as an aura. At least post crisis. The aura didnt extend much past his skin, which explains why his cape would rip. That, and Byrne liked drawing the ripped cape.
If you saw his costume ripped, it meant he'd suffered serious damage.

Pre crisis, the alien blanket scenario is spot on. Ma Kent sewed the costume under a red sunlight simulating bulb of some kind.
Supes also used to "dry clean" his suit...by flying through the sun.

DCnu, not sure if the aura exists anymore, though it probably does. The armored suit (which he wouldnt need) i chalk up to artistic preference, in the same vein as Byrne's ripped capes...

the aura's been gone since the early 2000s, iirc.

riv6672
Really?
That was a really good way to explain certain things about Supes; too bad...

SSJGGogeta
Originally posted by harnelo
Correct me if I'm wrong. I read somewhere that there's some sort of "invisible force field" emitted by his body that only extends out quite thin. This is enough to protect his costume but not his free flowing cape. And if this is b.s. I think its quite rosy b.s. wink

No, you're thinking of Superboy, Conner Kent, from the New 52. He was Superman's and Lex Luthor's clone, and had nearly the same abilities as Superman. However, Superman's abilities were physically given to him by absorbing yellow solar radiation, and Conner only had similar abilities because of a TK force field that surrounds his body, giving him invulnerability, super strength, TK and other abilities later on. In fact, he's pretty much a normal person baring the TK.

That's also why he didn't need solar energy to use his powers when one of the lords of chaos basically turned off the sun.

riv6672
Hadnt thought of that in reference to Harnelo's post. Good catch.

-Pr-
Really?
That was a really good way to explain certain things about Supes; too bad...

ill have to find the quote, but yeah, I remember reading someone say it was pretty much gone, and Superman was just that durable.

Originally posted by SSJGGogeta
No, you're thinking of Superboy, Conner Kent, from the New 52. He was Superman's and Lex Luthor's clone, and had nearly the same abilities as Superman. However, Superman's abilities were physically given to him by absorbing yellow solar radiation, and Conner only had similar abilities because of a TK force field that surrounds his body, giving him invulnerability, super strength, TK and other abilities later on. In fact, he's pretty much a normal person baring the TK.

That's also why he didn't need solar energy to use his powers when one of the lords of chaos basically turned off the sun.

That was originally said about Superman too. It does apply more to Superboy now, but it did apply to Superman at some point also.

riv6672
K.
That may be where i got confused.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.