Why no love for episode 1 & 2?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Vanquish
I'm as much of a star wars fan as anybody, and I just don't get why so many fans say that episode 1 and 2 are so lame. Sure they don't have the cultural impact of the first series back in the 70's and 80's, but that is because they were SO unique at the time. Now in the days of matrix and Lord of the rings, it's hard to make good Sci fi movies that really stands out. I think when you put the movies in the proper context, they are really quite good.

So really, why all the hate for episode 1 & 2?

LanİeWindu™
Why no love for putting threads in the right forums? blink

Darth_Janus
lol... Nice one Lance...

The prequels lack something the sequels had. It's a combination of atmosphere, driving plot, a better written storyline, more likeable characters, and the most essensital ingrediant...

When you first saw it, you had no expectations, and no clue what would happen.

falcon
I loved ep l and ep 2, but I think the main reason some fans did not like them, was the absence of the character that almost is synonomous
with Star Wars... Darth Vader!!

chez
Combination of some very bad scripts and some very unlikeable characters . And I personally find it hard to latch on to the angst-ridden Anakin.

Red Superfly
There are loads of reasons, but I honestly like Episode I more than II.

Maybe it's because a lot of Episode I actually took place on real sets and looked more solid. Jar Jar kinda spoiled it, but the set design was superoir, and the performances by the human characters were better because of it.

Vanquish
Unlikable characters and bad scripts? I admit, Jar jar was pathetic, but nowhere near as annoying as C3PO imo. And I was just a kid watching the first series, but even then I knew Luke was a tool. I find him to be the most unlikeable character in any of the movies, including Jar jar.

So if it's bad scripts, what was missing, or what was shown that shouldn't have been?

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Darth_Janus
the most essensital ingrediant...

When you first saw it, you had no expectations, and no clue what would happen.

That pretty much sums up the majority of peoples opinions.

I don't like this, I don't like that, it should have been that way not this way. yadda yadda yadda

My only advice is that to give these movies some time. People who own Phantom Menace and still watch it from time I noticed have changed there opinions in a more positive way in the last 6 years. Unlike the people who watched it once or twice, and still say it sucks.

But mainly people just don't get it. What it means, whats going on, and why it is the way it is.

Eleonora
I've always loved all of them and I mean ALL. I don't think it will be any different with episode III rock

Mr Parker
Well those two films had extremely stupid dialogue in it that was nothing at all like the original movies.It just seemed that Lucas was concerned more about the special effects than good story telling which was the opposite for the other films except Jedi.

Just_Joe
I love both films. Plus, they gave us great lightsaber fights...including Yoda whooping ass with the force!

Ironically, most of the people that love the old Star Wars were just kids when they came out. Unfortuantely, half of them hate the new ones.

But from what I've heard...people showcasing both sagas to thier little kids of the 21st century have said the younglings of today enjoy the prequels! Alot of times, they enjoy it more than the OT! Jar Jar is even thought to be funny from a kids perspective.

Maybe ol'George Lucas intendid the prequels to appeal to the children first and not the 40 year old Star Wars fan.

Hate TPM & AOTC all you want, but they're still Star Wars movies and I still think they're cool!

macgeek2005
Originally posted by Vanquish
I'm as much of a star wars fan as anybody, and I just don't get why so many fans say that episode 1 and 2 are so lame. Sure they don't have the cultural impact of the first series back in the 70's and 80's, but that is because they were SO unique at the time. Now in the days of matrix and Lord of the rings, it's hard to make good Sci fi movies that really stands out. I think when you put the movies in the proper context, they are really quite good.

That's exactly what i'm trying to figure out. I like them better than the OT.

The Ones
IMO episode IV was the worst of the Sage and episode II was the best (that will all change after May 19th wink ) . the first star wars film i saw was episode I. i loved it. then i saw episode II. i loved it. then i saw IV. it was kinda a let down cause, well. the cg and the plot was crap. V and VI kinda redeemed it though. im the only star wars fan in my circle of friends that love the prequels and watch it every day. i think the reason i loved the prequels was that it was the first star wars i saw.

Jackie Malfoy

The first one was lame the second one was alittle boring but still interesting.The reason for the first one was teh acting the only cool part in the first movie was the fighting part with Darth Maul!
The second one was boring in some parts and the acting like the first one was not the best I ever seend.I can't really say I am disapointed in the both of them but I could say that GL could had done alot better with the two firms.JM sad

The Ones
jackie what are you on?!?!? THE FIRST 2 WERE BRILLIANT!

moviejunkie23
I thought theer were some very weak aspects with the script, but what do you expect its Lucas!!! I think Lucas comes up with fine ideas for the stories its just getting them well done with the scripts and the acting that seems to be a different story.
Here is how i list the best to worst so far with star wars.

Episode 5, Episode 2, Episode 4, Episode 6, Episode 1

Vanquish
2, 1, 5, 4, 6 is my order, but i'd put a grand on it that everyones favorite is soon to be episode 3

DarkDethbringer
I like the 1st and 2nd ones they were awesome but 4,5, and 6 I saw when I was 3 and they were the greatest thing's ever I only saw one half of the first one at first and I begged my dad to let me see the rest !

moviejunkie23
2, 1, 5, 4, 6 is my order, but i'd put a grand on it that everyones favorite is soon to be episode 3

I second that, i am willing to bet episode 3 will be my fav after it comes out as well

Darth_Janus
Here's my love for Episodes I and II

The Ones
Episode II is the Best in the saga, then Episode V then its I then VI, IV.

But after May 21st (which is when im seeing it) episode III will budge itself infront of Episode II

mike_kenobi
i loved the perquels much more than the sequels! The prequels have much more action packed, emotional, intense, and fast paced lightsaber duels. Plus yoda looks MUCH better when done by computer. And yoda never fights in the sequels. the chareceters are way cooler too like Mace windu, and Obi-Wan rules at lightsaber fighting in TPM(episode I). Even the lightsabers are WAY WAY cooler in the first 2. All and all the whole series is AWESOME but the prequels kill the sequels in my opinion.

mike_kenobi
However Episode 3 will school all the others. with obi-wan vs anakin, Yoda vs Palpatine, Anankin and obi wan vs Dooku, and anakin vs mace windu. plus the wookies are back!!!

Delta 62
Any true Star Wars fan will appreciate the first two Episodes. Both are great in my opinion, people whine about how they're so different from IV, V, and VI..that's necessary. I, II, III take place in a completely different time. The galaxy hasn't yet been ravished by the Empire, the Jedi are still the protectors of all..etc..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.