Is Lord Vader's identity a secret?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthsinister
Just to recap, during the time of the Clone Wars Anakin and Obi-Wan were the the most famous jedi in the Republic, McCallum himself said that stories about their heroics were told across the galaxy! So when Anakin turned to the dark side and gave him self the name Darth Vader was it also known to the wide public of the Republic? Or did they think that Anakin was killed with the other Jedi during the purge??

Only four people must know who he really is - The Emperor, Yoda, Obi Wan and Bail Organa! I understand that they kept it a secret from Luke, but why would the Emperor and Vader keep it a secret that he was once a jedi who saved the Emperor from a jedi assissination plot and helped him to hunt and destroy the jedi "traitors"? How else did The Emperor explain the origin of Vader?? Its all very confusing to me...

IceWithin
I think the "important" ppl knew, like senators, princes, etc.
but civilians thought that he was killed by vader

eleveninches
In ep 4, vader tells the imperial officer that he can sense the prescence of his former master, and he immediately knows that vader is talking about obiwan

Fishy
It probably wasn't a secret, you don't keep something like that hidden from your troops. A hero is a hero people follow hero's, if a hero that once served your enemy now serves you, you tell everybody about it. It will get you some more followers

imperial troop
wasnt bail organa killed when they blew up alderan? and i dont think so. i bet the troops thought anakin died, then vader was their new commander.

Darth_Janus
Vader is Anakin Skywalker? Dammit... you people ruined the movie for me! Argh...

Sithmaster37IFG
Anakin was killed by Vader to my opinion and spiritual really did so, so it's not even a lie.... whahahaha.......

Red Superfly
It's yet another wonderful plot hole!

*dances around plot hole and throws confetti into the air*

maifoshis
prince xizor also knows vaders true identity

Darth_Janus
He has his claws in everything.

Reborn Again
It's never explained fully, but I think very few ppl knew. It stands to reason some other people other than Obi-Wan knew about Vader's secret.

Fishy
Why the Emperor wouldn't simply go around and tell everybody is beyond me however

umraan
he didnt keep it a secret. he just chenged his name to darth vader becuase he didnt like he other one.

Darth_Janus
Originally posted by umraan
he didnt keep it a secret. he just chenged his name to darth vader becuase he didnt like he other one.

The expert, folks.

Ben-Kenobi
ANAKINS EVIL TWIN VADA!

njphones
In episode I-III Ben ONLY refers to him as Anikin, NEVER Vader.
And Darth Vader was never a Jedi, NEVER!!! He was given his name by the Sith.
In Episode IV (The real Star Wars) Ben calls Vader a Jedi a number of times.
Also, this is the only movie without any mention of the Sith or Yoda.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.