cloning dinosaurs?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mr.smiley
didn't know if this has been talked about

King Burger
While I don't believe is would be some huge mistake that
would blow up in our faced a la "Jurrastic Park", I do
think it is dangerous from a biological/genetic/ecological
point of view.

Such Dinosaurs would completey unbalance an animal
ecological system already heavily damaged by humans.

They could develope diseases that could cause devastation
among other reptile species.

Plus, they would further solidify the average geneticist's
God-complex.

Shadwofathought
I think even if they could be cloned they would die by the mirad of diseases that are present in today's world. *shrug*

GCG
Excellent Idea !

Clone Dinosaurs, have them dead, pile them up in a canyon with fermenting plants , bury them and have Crude Oil in some 100 of thousand years !
We will safeguard oil reserves for our children's children !

King Burger
GCG's genius comes through again! clapping

Shadwofathought
I agree.

debbiejo
I wonder if they taste like chicken?

King Burger
tsk, tsk, tsk...

Debbie, Debbie, Debbie, everything tastes like chicken ofcourse!

Capt_Fantastic
I don't think there's any dino dna left. sixty five million years is a long time for meat to keep.

GCG
Originally posted by King Burger
GCG's genius comes through again! clapping

again ?

I never thought that it transpired elsewhere

*flatters himself* youpi

eleveninches
They could make a dino farm, where you can taste all the different varieties of dino

WindDancer
I'm pretty sure they could try to clone a caveman or a much more recent creature. There might be some nice frozen dino in antartica.

Capt_Fantastic
Actually, Antarctica didn't exist in the same way we know it now. At the end of the Mesozoic, the super continent Pangaea began to break apart. At first into two super continents and then into more and more continents. The theory of continental drift. So, the frozen aspect of Antarctica didn't exist, at least not on the dinosaur side of the KT boundry. However, if by some chance they(dinosaurs) did survie for a longer period of time after the KT boundry, I believe it totally possible for them to survive in a colder climate(not in the type of environment that Antarctica eventually became) but a colder environment. I believe Dinosaurs to have evolved far past the cold blooded stereotype that existed formerly. These were self sufficient, warm blooded creatures...many of which had either fur or feathers. In fact, I believe that some smaller species of therapod dinos eventually became birds. And it was in this form(birds) that they eventually spread and adapted to every continent.

DarkCrawler
Some say that in the year 2006 they start to clone endangered species.

mr.smiley
did anyone hear about that t -rex bone they cracked open?
appearently they found blood vessels or something like that.
still said they couldn't clone it though.
I do think it would be cool however,to have a huge ass dino head hanging on my wall.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by mr.smiley
did anyone hear about that t -rex bone they cracked open?
appearently they found blood vessels or something like that.
still said they couldn't clone it though.
I do think it would be cool however,to have a huge ass dino head hanging on my wall.

I'm not trying to contradict you, but fossils are not bones. They're replaced over millions of years by the sediment that surrounds them and then they harden into rock. But, by all means, I'd love to hear about it. Can you reference it?

Alpha Centauri
Oh goodie.

Let's bring back another wonder of nature that we can hunt and kill for fear of it wiping us out.

-AC

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Oh goodie.

Let's bring back another wonder of nature that we can hunt and kill for fear of it wiping us out.

-AC

What if it's like Alien 4 and we clone the dinos but their super viruses, against which we have no defesne, come back with them. I guess that would be the second age of dinos. Or would it be the fourth, since there were already three? Humm.

gls
While I don't believe is would be some huge mistake that
would blow up in our faced a la "Jurrastic Park", I do
think it is dangerous from a biological/genetic/ecological
point of view.

Such Dinosaurs would completey unbalance an animal
ecological system already heavily damaged by humans.

They could develope diseases that could cause devastation
among other reptile species.

Plus, they would further solidify the average geneticist's
God-complex.

i thought Dinos were more connected with Birds then with reptiles (from what we know anyway)

and yea, doing so may cause a a virul outbreak, who knows maybe even the "pestilence" to start off the three horseman.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
What if it's like Alien 4 and we clone the dinos but their super viruses, against which we have no defesne, come back with them. I guess that would be the second age of dinos. Or would it be the fourth, since there were already three? Humm.

Only a matter of time before something happens that bites our asses.

Seen/Read Akira?

-AC

Capt_Fantastic

Seen/Read Akira?

-AC

Both. It's one of my favorites.

King Burger
Originally posted by gls
i thought Dinos were more connected with Birds then with reptiles (from what we know anyway)

Yes, I believe birds themselves come from reptilian species
that evolved wings and the ability of flight. Though I guess
it may not be believed by everyone.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/diapsids/avians.html

sk8stuff09
i dont think its exactly "easy" to clone dinosaurs bones

Jackie Malfoy
didn't know if this has been talked about

I do not think so.After seeing Jecistic park I think it would be possible but I can't see it happening since I am againt playing god anyway.Nothering good can happen from cloning stuff.JM wink

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Both. It's one of my favorites.

Then you know what I'm talking about wink.

-AC

KharmaDog
Jecistic park laughing

Once again, what has this got to do with philosophy?

King Burger
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Jecistic park laughing

Once again, what has this got to do with philosophy?

Innocent mistake, my good man.

Philosophy? Well, I suppose it is a part of the discussion on
cloning, which is partly an ethical issue.

gls
more likely will be cloning of Mammoths Sabertooth tigers and the like
but the process to get a 100% clone would take generations of cloned animals. the first time they would clone it it would only be partly mammoth. they would have to use that egg from the cloned one and add more of the DNA from a actual mammoth to clone again to get it closer to the real thing..

DarkCrawler
I support cloning.

Capt_Fantastic
Innocent mistake, my good man.

Naive mistake, not innocent.

Alpha Centauri
I don't support cloning unless it's to use healthy, fresh parts to help those already here.

The last thing we need is more idiots.

-AC

mr.smiley
capt fantastic i'll try to find a reference on it.They had a press conference on it.I'm sure national geographic magazine will have something on it.
but i search the net for some stuff on it too.

Capt_Fantastic
capt fantastic i'll try to find a reference on it.They had a press conference on it.I'm sure national geographic magazine will have something on it.
but i search the net for some stuff on it too.

Cheers, thanks. Paleontology is one of my favorite pastimes.

mr.smiley
WASHINGTON - A 70-million-year-old Tyrannosaurus rex fossil dug out of a hunk of sandstone has yielded soft tissue, including blood vessels and perhaps even whole cells, U.S. researchers reported on Thursday.

I copied this from msnbc.com

i'll try to find the link right now.

mr.smiley
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7285683/

try typing that in.

mr.smiley
yep the link works!

GCG
shock im gobsmacked

Capt_Fantastic
yep the link works!

Yes, it certainly does. I was in awe the whole time I watched this video. I consider myself to more well informed than your average guy walking down the street when it comes to dinosaurs; considering how long I've been studying them. I've even been on a dig in Montana. I am embarassed by the fact that I missed this discovery.

While it doesn't look like, at least at this time, there's any DNA to harvest, the possible advancement of the science may end up being able to use the protien samples to answer alot of questions. The fact that these samples most closely resemble osterich cells, then it is certainly possible that the arguments on the true naturee of dinosaurs can be put to rest. I think this will go a long way towards putting to rest the argument over dinosaurs being warm blooded v. cold blooded. This is very exciting times. I notice this story appeared in March. Which explains why I haven't seen it. The last few months have been very hectic for me. I've only really had a chance to sit back and do nothing for th elast few weeks. This is ecellent news, indeed.

mr.smiley
just think.
It could happen again but with even more left behind!
I can't wait to see what else we might be able to learn from this

gls
hmm i missed that story too..i heard about it but never saw the video.
it will be nice to see if they find even more someday

DarkCrawler
I don't support cloning unless it's to use healthy, fresh parts to help those already here.

The last thing we need is more idiots.

-AC

Yeah, I kinda agree...imagine if they would clone Bush everytime the earlier dies...

President Bush 1672...the horror.

But I would clone myself if I would have the possibility...the clones would be my servants...

I think that cloning is supported 25 years from now...

King Burger
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
But I would clone myself if I would have the possibility...the clones would be my servants...

But what would stop one of your clones from kicking your a**
and taking over?

DarkCrawler
But what would stop one of your clones from kicking your a**
and taking over?

They are genetically engineered to sleep everytime I say "Spoon".

Or the little bombs I jammed in their brains that are set to explode when I say "Fork". wink

Draco69
Did anyone watch Jurassic Park? I ain't gonna be running my ass from no T-Rex.

Fishy
Thats what we have nukes for

mr.smiley
imagine cloning humans.
What if a clone murdered someone?
Their would be all sorts of clone rights and it would mess up are whole court system

Fishy
Cloning humans isn't a smart thing to do... Cloning human organs however... Now thats another situation all together, if that was possible it would solve so many diseases and problems

gls
aaah cloning...the reason why Dick Clark has looked the same since 30 years ago....

mr.smiley
LOL!
it's that or plastic surgery.

I agree fishy.
cloning human organs would be great.
I think that alone would bring up the life expectantcy.

debbiejo
LOL!
it's that or plastic surgery.

I agree fishy.
cloning human organs would be great.
I think that alone would bring up the life expectantcy.

Ewwww...cloning organs....it's wierd...Just die, it's better you know.

I think, if they did clone a dinosour, they should give it to 3rd world countries who are starving...It would last a long time.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by debbiejo
Ewwww...cloning organs....it's wierd...Just die, it's better you know.

I think, if they did clone a dinosour, they should give it to 3rd world countries who are starving...It would last a long time.

That's actually brilliant! I mean, weak hungry people can't outrun a T-Rex. Eureka! World hunger has been solved! Send Dinosaurs to eat all teh hungry people! I'm serious. Great Idea!

debbiejo
That's not what I meant.... huh laughing out loud

King Burger
imagine cloning humans.
What if a clone murdered someone?
Their would be all sorts of clone rights and it would mess up are whole court system

That's why we'll have to create special police units to hunt them down
and kill them, or "retire" them.

I think such a unit can be called "Blade Runners".

What do you think? Catchy, no?

mr.smiley
ha!

gls
one day the world will be over run by hoards of cloned locusts raptors and dick clarks....oh and since they last forever the world will also have twinkies cockroaches and Cher.

mr.smiley
Don't forget joan rivers.

gls
oh sry forgot bout her.
oh and 2pac will still have cd's going.

shaber
Jurassic Park! big grin

argen angel
...?

you know it possible but kinda dumb unless we reasearch and make the most careful precautions.

jz_danzin
what kinda dinosaur to clone? T rex?

Tee Hee Hee

jz_danzin
LOL

then we can use it to over run pplz, and rule da world!!!!!

Tee Hee Hee

argen angel
yeah that would be great lol...

debbiejo
We can clone Barney....and of course that Baby Bop....blah

mr.smiley
Damn!
all those barnies will make the world a better place.
Him and his giving children special candy.

jango fatt
Didn't they try once to clone a Tasmanian tiger?

mr.smiley
I don't know.I'll look it up though

argen angel
they have cloned pigs and sheep before

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.