Clean your ears!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DeVi| D0do
Reuters.

Doctors remove 50 maggots from Thai man's ears

27.04.05 3.20pm

BANGKOK - Doctors found around 50 maggots in the ears of an 84-year-old Thai man after he went to hospital complaining of an itch.

Wednesday's Nation newspaper said Anan Temtan, who lives in the tsunami-hit southern resort island of Phuket, had used cotton buds to relieve the itching, but had scratched so hard his eardrums ruptured and started bleeding.

"We believe flies might have gone inside his ears to lay eggs, which hatched into larvae and caused the itching," said Somsak Nonthasri, the doctor who treated him.

Somsak, who used tweezers and a small suction device to remove the maggots, said Anan would be kept in for observation for a while to make sure no more eggs hatched.

http://img249.echo.cx/img249/8121/magotssmallcavitywound6tx.jpg
FYI: pic is not related to this particluar story... but... EWW!

BullitNutz
what is that a picture of? Looks like someone's nose, but it looks like part of the picture has been painted over with a soft edge.

DeVi| D0do
I dunno what the pic's of.. I got it off another board...

BullitNutz
laughing "got it off another board" I bet that's you and your pet maggots.

DeVi| D0do
Hey STFU!

and besides... I keep my maggots on my arm not my nose...

BullitNutz
Well then. They must be someone else's pet maggots.

King Burger
I got three simple words for that:

messed

sick

puke

Jackie Malfoy
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Reuters.

Doctors remove 50 maggots from Thai man's ears

27.04.05 3.20pm

BANGKOK - Doctors found around 50 maggots in the ears of an 84-year-old Thai man after he went to hospital complaining of an itch.

Wednesday's Nation newspaper said Anan Temtan, who lives in the tsunami-hit southern resort island of Phuket, had used cotton buds to relieve the itching, but had scratched so hard his eardrums ruptured and started bleeding.

"We believe flies might have gone inside his ears to lay eggs, which hatched into larvae and caused the itching," said Somsak Nonthasri, the doctor who treated him.'

I am cleaning my ears no doubt about that.JM

Somsak, who used tweezers and a small suction device to remove the maggots, said Anan would be kept in for observation for a while to make sure no more eggs hatched.

http://img249.echo.cx/img249/8121/magotssmallcavitywound6tx.jpg
FYI: pic is not related to this particluar story... but... EWW! sick sick

BullitNutz
I guess this answers the age-old question: How many Republicans can one fit in their nose?

I'm wondering, though... how'd they get over to Thailand?

FeceMan
Originally posted by BullitNutz
I guess this answers the age-old question: How many Republicans can one fit in their nose?

I'm wondering, though... how'd they get over to Thailand?
Better to be a maggot under the skin than one in a pile of shit.

Capt_Fantastic
Actually, this pic looks like it might be medical. There has been a huge number of cases reported where both maggots and leeches have been used to treat medical problems. I don't recall the specifics for maggots, but I think leeches are used to treat problems with blood clots among other things.

But, things like the Thai man, that's a lot more common in countries that are less developed than we are here in the States.

ladygrim
Omg thats bloody vile...sick

Clovie
what are maggots? confused

some parasites? eek! may i know latin name of them? eek!

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Clovie
what are maggots? confused

some parasites? eek! may i know latin name of them? eek!

Are you kidding? You are kidding right? Maggots are baby flies.

Clovie
thank you embarrasment i wasn't kidding embarrasment me doesn't know english embarrasment

Capt_Fantastic
thank you embarrasment i wasn't kidding embarrasment me doesn't know english embarrasment

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be an ass. Maggots are baby flies that hatch from eggs laid in meat. They hatch and then feed off of the meat in which they've been laid.

WindDancer
50 maggots? They actually took the time to count them all? Yuck!

Clovie
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be an ass. Maggots are baby flies that hatch from eggs laid in meat. They hatch and then feed off of the meat in which they've been laid. i understand it now.
and i know something about it from biological point of view...but they've told us that it's happening mostly to animals confused

SlipknoT
Thats ****ing disgusting

Capt_Fantastic
i understand it now.
and i know something about it from biological point of view...but they've told us that it's happening mostly to animals confused

They've been used in medicine because when you introduce them into an infected area, they eat the infected meat and allow the wound to be sterilized and heal properly.

Clovie
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
They've been used in medicine because when you introduce them into an infected area, they eat the infected meat and allow the wound to be sterilized and heal properly. theoretically. but i wouldn't like this method of sterilizing.

Capt_Fantastic
theoretically. but i wouldn't like this method of sterilizing.

It's not theory dear. It's true. But, I agree. I wouldn't like it much myself. But, if it prevented something wrose, then I'd just close my eyes.

Clovie
closing eyes wouldn't help much, it takes some time.
and by theoretically i meant it is not neccesarily making the wund heal better..it is sometimes but it is not a rule.

Alpha Centauri
Nature is too amazing.

The man was just strolling around getting snacked upon by minute creatures.

Anyone hear about the man who actually had maggots feasting on his brain? Dr went to examine him and realised he had a wafer thin layer of scalp. So he operated and when they were lobotomising him, they found thousands of maggots on his brain.

-AC

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Nature is too amazing.

Anyone hear about the man who actually had maggots feasting on his brain? Dr went to examine him and realised he had a wafer thin layer of scalp. So he operated and when they were lobotomising him, they found thousands of maggots on his brain.

-AC

That's disgusting. I don't understand the thin scalp/maggot/lobotomizing aspect though. Whats the relationship?

Alpha Centauri
Basically, a fly laid an egg on his scalp. He began to itch and ignored it, then his hair started falling out. The Dr examined his scalp and said he needed a skin sample, so he tried to scrap some away and realised that he hardly had any skin there. So the operated to see what was going on and saw all maggots and shit in his brain.

-AC

BackFire
Wow, thanks for that.

Now whenever my head itches I'm going to think theirs maggots in my brain.

Did they remove the maggots from the dudes brain, or what?

Capt_Fantastic
Basically, a fly laid an egg on his scalp. He began to itch and ignored it, then his hair started falling out. The Dr examined his scalp and said he needed a skin sample, so he tried to scrap some away and realised that he hardly had any skin there. So the operated to see what was going on and saw all maggots and shit in his brain.

-AC

Was he missing his skull cap? Had the maggots eaten through it?

Alpha Centauri
I think they did get through it.

I thought the story was farfetched so I looked up the condition and it was genuine.

Obviously they removed them BF. Not exactly gonna say "Oooh well, take two and call me tomorrow.", "But I have maggots eating my brain...", "Trust me, will work."

-AC

SlipknoT
I'm moving to Antarctica.

BackFire
I think they did get through it.

I thought the story was farfetched so I looked up the condition and it was genuine.

Obviously they removed them BF. Not exactly gonna say "Oooh well, take two and call me tomorrow.", "But I have maggots eating my brain...", "Trust me, will work."

-AC

No, I know.

But I thought maybe they were so embedded in his brain that an operation wouldn't have been possible, or something. Since the brain's so fragile and all.

Alpha Centauri
Oh, I have no clue.

Just saw it and thought "Wow. Multiple tiny worms managed to render an adult male of Earth's dominant species, incapacitated."

-AC

Whisper
Nature is too amazing.

-AC www.snopes.com has a fantastic photo of this mans maggot infested brain. Not for kids.

Tex
puke

Maggots are good on the outside skin because they'll eat away the dead and infected flesh and ignore the healthy living tissue.

Have you learned nothing from watching Gladiator? stick out tongue

BullitNutz
^ Wasn't there something on Discovery Health or Discovery Science about the cleansing effects of maggots?

gls
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW this thread is disgusting..yet i still read it..lol :P

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.