Why Bryan Singer left X-Men 3?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lau_timmy
He seems so happy working on X-Men. On the special features and behind-the-scenes clips he seems to be so dedicated to X-Men.

I mean if he left X-men because he was tired of directing super-hero movies I could understand, but left to do superman dosen't make any sense to me. I dont wanna piss off superman fans, but X-men has so much more to a director work with, so many sub-plots and emotional material.

gmv_lisa
maybe now he has gone the special features could be better or not with out him just what to the move comes out and you can slag off superman and his fans but thank god that i'm not on of then laughing out loud

lau_timmy
I heard reports that Fox decided to move ahead without him rather than wait for him to finish filming Superman.

LISA-J
Yeah but that was only cause he left them for superman first.I think he left cause he was offered more money and more time to do superman.

lau_timmy
I've heard that Fox and WB are enemies. So, when Bryan decided to direct Superman (WB), Fox fired him.
There are a lot of different stories to this, so I can't say that, that is 100% true.

I'm still kinda pissed off about it. I hope Matthew Vaughn does a good job at directing X3.

LISA-J
So do I,cause if vaughn messes up x-3-i'm blaming singer for dumping it to begin with.

pr1983
singer is gone, be happy he's gone...

DarthLazious
I hope X3 will be good.

pr1983
Originally posted by gmv_lisa
maybe now he has gone the special features could be better or not with out him just what to the move comes out and you can slag off superman and his fans but thank god that i'm not on of then laughing out loud

nothing wrong with superman... but singer will ruin him too...

MysterioxX619Xx
Have you seen the pathetic costume they have for Superman....

pr1983
Originally posted by MysterioxX619Xx
Have you seen the pathetic costume they have for Superman....

yes... they should be shot for coming up with it...

Mainstream
shouldv'e went with black suit and sliver symbol..no cape.

Capt_Fantastic
I like Bryan Singer. I like what he did with the X-Men. I, for one, am sad to see him go. It's my understanding that Singer did WANT to do X3. But he had already signed on to do Superman and Fox didn't want to wait for Singer to finish Superman. However, I do think that Singer underestimated how soon production on X3 would begin. But, with the success of X2, it makes sense that Fox would want to fast forward production on the sequel.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by pr1983
singer is gone, be happy he's gone...

LOL pr, I get the feeling that you telling me I look like Singer wasn't so much a compliment. He must be the bain of your existence. First X-Men and now Superman. I wish he had made you more happy.

Mainstream
if Singer would have stayed Gambit would have been a main character...other than that..he can kiss my green namek A$$

MysterioxX619Xx
I think Singer took the job with Superman, thinking that FOx would have waited for him to finish that film, before starting X3. In the end they kicked him out, thank god because he ruined some of the characters. Every time Vaughn says what he wants to do with X3 it sounds better than what Singer had in mind.

Mainstream
indeed my bro-tha

mr.smiley
singer said before xmen he was looking to do a science fiction movie.
he ended up with xmen but their were always budget issues.
and yeah the new superman costume is dumb.
This guy is from another planet and he's gonna fly around the world in spandex?
I would have gave him some sort of war armor from krypton that resembles the superman outfit.
When it comes to movies I think part of the fun is seeing different but identifiable costumes on a character.

ayjay
unlike the costymes in x-men....>__<....but i understand Singers decision to change the x-men costumes to black leather....except the chik costumes..they should have been alot slimmer, not so...manly

MysterioxX619Xx
Originally posted by ayjay
unlike the costymes in x-men....>__<....but i understand Singers decision to change the x-men costumes to black leather....except the chik costumes..they should have been alot slimmer, not so...manly

What do you mena by the chick costumes being slimmer, they have tight leather on.

VENOMfan
thank god, maybe I can see a movie about the Xmen not so much about Wolverine.

and he get's his own spin off wow

pr1983
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
LOL pr, I get the feeling that you telling me I look like Singer wasn't so much a compliment. He must be the bain of your existence. First X-Men and now Superman. I wish he had made you more happy.

naw, i can tell the difference... stick out tongue

but yeah... supes is my favourite dc character... singer is like a goddamn plague ruining everything he touches...

mr.smiley
i have a question for you pr1983.
Do you hate singer because you think he reuined the xmen movies or because you think he gave the public a false impression of cyclops?

Capt_Fantastic
naw, i can tell the difference... stick out tongue

but yeah... supes is my favourite dc character... singer is like a goddamn plague ruining everything he touches...

Well, you know I disagree with you about Singer. Not that my opinion should count for much, considering I can't even use the correct spelling of the word 'bane' in this context.

pr1983
Originally posted by mr.smiley
i have a question for you pr1983.
Do you hate singer because you think he reuined the xmen movies or because you think he gave the public a false impression of cyclops?

both... he portrayed and cast several characters wrong imo... but his portrayal of cyclops (who is a central character lets not forget) was something that did piss me off alot...

Well, you know I disagree with you about Singer. Not that my opinion should count for much, considering I can't even use the correct spelling of the word 'bane' in this context.

as far as x-men and superman count, i am so disappointed... i liked usual suspects and apt pupil... i actually was optimistic when i heard he'd be doing the x movies... now i regret feeling such optimism...

gls
well pr... x-men could have been a lot worse...but it could of been SO much better as well..

pr1983
Originally posted by gls
well pr... x-men could have been a lot worse...but it could of been SO much better as well..

true... to be honest though i cant actually sit through x2 anymore... i can only watch a few scenes...

gls
true... to be honest though i cant actually sit throiugh x2 anymore...

yea..i haven't seen it for some time now..i have the DVD and it jus sits collecting dust

pr1983
Originally posted by gls
yea..i haven't seen it for some time now..i have the DVD and it jus sits collecting dust

my 3 year old sis loves the tas so she wanted to watch it, i put it on and found myself skipping certain scenes...

gls
my 3 year old sis loves the tas so she wanted to watch it, i put it on and found myself skipping certain scenes...

i skip scenes in X films all the time. there's some that u jus don't need to see

pr1983
i skip more than i should... only kelly hu keeps me interested... that and the colossus cameo...

Paola
sad Bryan Singer and why he left X-Men...

gls
Originally posted by Paola

i heard he was offered more money from WB.

oh, and pr, i skip more than half the film when i watch it

pr1983
Originally posted by Paola

we talked about that... embarrasment

Paola
big grin

mr.smiley
i liked the xmen movies.
sure they did too much with wolverine and cyclops wasn't what he should have been but lets face it.
xmen the movie wasn't made to please the fans.
It was made to please a wider audience and if that means having to change things,then that's what they gotta do.

pr1983
i liked the xmen movies.
sure they did too much with wolverine and cyclops wasn't what he should have been but lets face it.
xmen the movie wasn't made to please the fans.
It was made to please a wider audience and if that means having to change things,then that's what they gotta do.

but what im thinking is that a movie faithful to the comics could still be enjoyable... look at sin city or spiderman...

mr.smiley
i agree to an extent.
But as a movie i didn't take sin city or spiderman as seriously as xmen

pr1983
i agree to an extent.
But as a movie i didn't take sin city or spiderman as seriously as xmen

but you can do an x-men moview thats serious and faithful to the characters...

mr.smiley
true.
but then again not everything can be perfect.
some movie changes i thought where for the better.
like rogues character.
I agree with Grant Morisson when he said they did rogue all wrong in the comics.
Their's no way someone with her mutant ability would be a southern loudmouth.
She would be darker than that.
while the movie didn't make her a dark charcter I think they made a realistic change that was nessacery.

Cyclops should have been more of a leader in the movies but at the same time it wasn't like the xmen had been on a hundred missions befor the first movie.

storm was decent but could have been a lot better

I think jean grey was a real good transistion from comic to movie.

I also think they did good on wolverine but they just did too much with him.
and in my opinion nightcrawler was probably the best from comic to movie.

pr1983
true.
but then again not everything can be perfect.
some movie changes i thought where for the better.
like rogues character.
I agree with Grant Morisson when he said they did rogue all wrong in the comics.
Their's no way someone with her mutant ability would be a southern loudmouth.
She would be darker than that.
while the movie didn't make her a dark charcter I think they made a realistic change that was nessacery.

ok, il agree with that...

wasnt just that... he's a tall, imposing guy... he looks like a leader... in the movies he wasnt... and his personality was all wrong... they made him an idiot, the guy is one the best tacticians in marvel, he's incredibly intelligent in the field... and then they way overplayed the logan jean romance, it was bullshit, and reflected even worse on cyclops...

i didnt like her at all... i dont think they were anywhere near getting her right...

apart from the logan thing i thought she was fine...

true...

he was pretty good i'll agree...

mr.smiley
"wasnt just that... he's a tall, imposing guy... he looks like a leader... in the movies he wasnt... and his personality was all wrong... they made him an idiot, the guy is one the best tacticians in marvel, he's incredibly intelligent in the field... and then they way overplayed the logan jean romance, it was , and reflected even worse on cyclops..."

I agree with that.

pr1983
"wasnt just that... he's a tall, imposing guy... he looks like a leader... in the movies he wasnt... and his personality was all wrong... they made him an idiot, the guy is one the best tacticians in marvel, he's incredibly intelligent in the field... and then they way overplayed the logan jean romance, it was , and reflected even worse on cyclops..."

I agree with that.

so you see why the movies piss me off so much... btw whos your fave character?

mr.smiley
It's hard to say.
I like them all realy.

mr.smiley
I agree with you on cyclops being tall and imposing and all that.
I just thought They would have grown his character into it,instead of starting him off like that.

pr1983
I agree with you on cyclops being tall and imposing and all that.
I just thought They would have grown his character into it,instead of starting him off like that.

i just... did you watch the old animated series? that was cyclops... all they had to do was copy that and add a little depth... perfect cyclops... its not difficult...

i just felt he was a character for hugh jackman to pick on...

Draco69
Characters done wrong:

Storm. Horribly.
Cyclops. Too immature.
Rogue. She's too timid.
Iceman. Too serious. Not a joker.
Magneto. Too pompous.
Sabretooth. Too stupid.

The only improvements were Pyro and Toad. The rest were horribly decharacterized. Which is why I am happy that Singer left. Good movies though.

mr.smiley
I agree with you pr1983.
I just want to see the third film to see how they try to finish out some of the characters.

Capt_Fantastic
I'll explain why I like Singer's direct. First of all, the only characters that I really like are the two characters that created the ideologies of the X universe. If these movies were going to be believable as real world situations, then you couldn't have grown men running around in spandex with these earth shattering powers. I mean, if Magneto was as powerful as he is in the comic, then the movie would have been over before it started. That's why Singer took each mutant and boiled them down to their basic power. That's why Magneto can't fly, can't control peoples mind, and can't manipulate the natural iron in peoples blood and he can't create forcefields. He can control metal. End of story. Professor X can read and project thougts into people's minds. But he can't project himself into their minds, etc.

If this was going to be a movie with over the top powers and huge special effects and tights, then it should have stayed in the comic or been a cartoon movie. I agree that there are some characters that, personality wise, didn't match their comic counterpart. But, as I said before, I really only pay attention to Magneto and Professor X. And I think they were dead on. Oh, and Mystique was the shit...way better than he comic counterpart.

He got rid of the alien technology and based the x-man's advantage on the advance human mind, rather than outer space sci fi aspect. All of these things went in to making this a much more believable real world movie. Don't misunderstand. I didn't like the first one after I saw it. But on my second viewing, I fell in love with it. and I went to see it, probably half a dozen times in the theater. And I also don't want people to get the impression that I didn't love the comics. They were a big part of my life. But, the movies had to be different than the comics for them to work.

Just my two cents.

pr1983
I'll explain why I like Singer's direct. First of all, the only characters that I really like are the two characters that created the ideologies of the X universe. If these movies were going to be believable as real world situations, then you couldn't have grown men running around in spandex with these earth shattering powers. I mean, if Magneto was as powerful as he is in the comic, then the movie would have been over before it started. That's why Singer took each mutant and boiled them down to their basic power. That's why Magneto can't fly, can't control peoples mind, and can't manipulate the natural iron in peoples blood and he can't create forcefields. He can control metal. End of story. Professor X can read and project thougts into people's minds. But he can't project himself into their minds, etc.

If this was going to be a movie with over the top powers and huge special effects and tights, then it should have stayed in the comic or been a cartoon movie. I agree that there are some characters that, personality wise, didn't match their comic counterpart. But, as I said before, I really only pay attention to Magneto and Professor X. And I think they were dead on. Oh, and Mystique was the shit...way better than he comic counterpart.

He got rid of the alien technology and based the x-man's advantage on the advance human mind, rather than outer space sci fi aspect. All of these things went in to making this a much more believable real world movie. Don't misunderstand. I didn't like the first one after I saw it. But on my second viewing, I fell in love with it. and I went to see it, probably half a dozen times in the theater. And I also don't want people to get the impression that I didn't love the comics. They were a big part of my life. But, the movies had to be different than the comics for them to work.

Just my two cents.

i'm not asking for spandex...

realism is good, but the x-men are superheroes, i dont think wanting a big action scene or two is asking too much...

gls
i'm not asking for spandex...

realism is good, but the x-men are superheroes, i dont think wanting a big action scene or two is asking too much...

i agree...there has to be at least 2 or 3 nice action sequences in the third film...

and the ending battle must be kick ass

mr.smiley
i liked the statue of liberty battle and the fight with lady deathstrike

Draco69
The best scenes were when Storm summoned a group of tornadoes to attack the fighter jets, Magneto's escape from his plastic prison, Pyro's attack on the cops, and of course Storm rising up the elevator shaft looking really pissed.

gls
i liked the statue of liberty battle and the fight with lady deathstrike

yes i liked them too.. esp with deathstrike but those were only with wolverine. i want the great battles to feature other characters than logan. i'm sick of him now

Originally posted by Draco69
The best scenes were when Storm summoned a group of tornadoes to attack the fighter jets, Magneto's escape from his plastic prison, Pyro's attack on the cops, and of course Storm rising up the elevator shaft looking really pissed.

magnetos escape is great. as was nightcrawler in the white house

they need more all out action. have the x-men get pissed off and finally kick some ass

stormfront13
yea i link both those storm parts but i hated when she said

do you know what happens to a toad when i gets struck be lightning?? same thing that happens to everything else.

i completley hate that and imo its one oif the worst lines in movie history

Draco69
EVER.

MysterioxX619Xx
I think it was because she delivered it wrong.

stormfront13
i think it wa still a stupid quote. maybe she should've said

storm- i am mother nature, let me show you what she thinks of you

toad-......

alright that is still stupid btut imo its better than what they had her originally saying

countryfan2004
I think there needs to be teamwork fight scenes. I haven't seen any of those yet, and isn't that the point of X-Men....? They are a team, they aren't Wolverine versus everyone. There were minor parts where the X-Men woukd work together, but it was big or long - nothing that would qualify as a major battle scene. We need big battles! BIG ONES!!!!

pr1983
Originally posted by countryfan2004
I think there needs to be teamwork fight scenes. I haven't seen any of those yet, and isn't that the point of X-Men....? They are a team, they aren't Wolverine versus everyone. There were minor parts where the X-Men woukd work together, but it was big or long - nothing that would qualify as a major battle scene. We need big battles! BIG ONES!!!!

i agree 100%, the xmen are a team, more than the sum of thier parts...

individually they're all quite weak, they need each other...

mr.smiley
Characters done wrong:

Storm. Horribly.
Cyclops. Too immature.
Rogue. She's too timid.
Iceman. Too serious. Not a joker.
Magneto. Too pompous.
Sabretooth. Too stupid.

"The only improvements were Pyro and Toad. The rest were horribly decharacterized. Which is why I am happy that Singer left. Good movies though."

I actualy like sabretooth better in the movies.The comic version,for the most part was a loudmouth

gls
toad was a good improvment.
sabertooth needs to jus...be somewhat louder in the films ..not too much though

mystique is great in the films.
Jean is also well done.
Logan is a perfect match imo. just too much of him
the others i can stand. except X2's pyro. i didn't like him in that one. the first films (in the short scene he had) portrayed pyro much better. as he was joking around in class.

lau_timmy
Even if Singer really did not want to direct the third, he already did two of them, dedicating the past, what, six or seven years of his life to those movies. Does he not have a right, as a director, to want to move on to something else? I'm a fan of Bryan Singer even before X-Men. I'm really grateful that he did those two movies.

Besides, Matthew Vaughn seems like an excellent choice. Layer Cake looks good.

mr.smiley
it's just funny how singer said everyone was so close knit and that the cast and crew are the same just like the lotr trilogy.

He was full of crap.Don't get me wrong,I like singer,I just think he's making a mistake.I think his take on superman will play like the poor mans spiderman

Mainstream
Singer: I would never live the xmen movies...I love the xmen, I love the cast and crew here I would never leave..never , never , never!

DC big wig: we'll pay you more money to do Superman.

Singer: up up and and away I go later mutatnt freaks!

king_arthur
He wanted to do both X-Men 3 and Superman, but Fox wanted to release this film by 2006 in direct opposition to the Superman Release (May 2006). Singer was given a choice to direct one of them. He chose Superman.

I hope Brett Ratner do a good job with X3. I loved Rush Hour 1 & 2 and the chilling movie Red Dragon.

lordofwar
Obviously the studio is not prepared to wait for Bryan to finish with Superman Returns, because he has indicated in interviews he was prepared to take on X3 at the completion of that project.

I just pray X3 lives up to the first 2, regardless of who is at the helm.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.