What is Idolatry?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jury
My religion teacher taught us that it is an act of worshiping somebody or something other than God. She was a Catholic nun.

So, I asked her, "So, are you an idolater?"
She asked, "Why did you ask that? Of course not."
Then I told her, "Why do you wear a crucifix and a scapular around your neck?"
She didn't answer. Instead, she marked her attendance sheet across my name "Absent".

Well, what can I do? Now, I'm asking in this forum..

In your opinion, what is IDOLATRY?

Thank you for whatever responses you'll make.smile

King Burger
Much of this Christian/Jewish/Muslims view on idolatry
comes from their view that since pagan gods like Baal
or Jupiter or Al-Uzza don't exist, then to now before
their images is to bow before a piece of clay or stone.
Since these gods are not real, then pagans are just
worshipping statues and images, nothing more.

By contrast, for Christians, Jesus Christ is real, so to
kneel before a crusifx is not to worship the object itself,
but He whome it represents or symbolizes.

I suppose a pagan worshiper could have also said the
same thing, that he worships and revers not the statue
of Jupitr, but he whome it represents.

Ofcourse, Jews and Muslims (as well as some early
Christians) refused to ahve any visual representation
of the Divine, partly because they didn't want to be doing
anything like the surrounding pagans, and partly because
they realised that God is beyond understanding or knowing.

Good question though, Jury.

Jackie Malfoy
Originally posted by Jury
My religion teacher taught us that it is an act of worshiping somebody or something other than God. She was a Catholic nun.

So, I asked her, "So, are you an idolater?"
She asked, "Why did you ask that? Of course not."
Then I told her, "Why do you wear a crucifix and a scapular around your neck?"
She didn't answer. Instead, she marked her attendance sheet across my name "Absent".

Well, what can I do? Now, I'm asking in this forum..

Thank you for whatever responses you'll make.smile

It is worshiping a idol which is what you believe in.My twin sister has a budda stature that she worships for some reason.(we are jewish but non pratise ones)
And as for the cross thing I am not sure why christens wear that.JM embarrasment

Jury
Originally posted by King Burger
Much of this Christian/Jewish/Muslims view on idolatry
comes from their view that since pagan gods like Baal
or Jupiter or Al-Uzza don't exist, then to now before
their images is to bow before a piece of clay or stone.
Since these gods are not real, then pagans are just
worshipping statues and images, nothing more.

By contrast, for Christians, Jesus Christ is real, so to
kneel before a crusifx is not to worship the object itself,
but He whome it represents or symbolizes.
When God said...

Do not make for yourselves any carved images
of anything that is in heaven, and on earth.
Do not bow down to them nor served them.

Does God mean the images of non-existing or nonreal things?
God said anything that is in heaven and on earth.
This assumes the existing and real things.

Jesus is in heaven. Mary was real.
Catholics, who claim to be Christians, created images of them...
Served them, bowing down before them, even kissed them.. etc.

Their worship to Jesus and Mary and the saints also extends to their images, pictures, and relics, why so?

smile

debbiejo
The Amish don't have any kind of images or pictures for that matter. They don't have pictures of their loved ones. They decorate their houses with a lot of calenders with scenery pictures....I guess you can go that far....Not me.

finti
Idolatry is bowing for a god

King Burger
When God said...

Their worship to Jesus and Mary and the saints also extends to their images, pictures, and relics, why so?

smile

Hey, I'm just telling you what some think.

I guess many people have a hard time worshipping something
that they cannot see or visualize at all.

God Puppet
It seems she has the definition right. You have to understand it's a fair belief, and I partly believe it myself, that Jesus.God.Holy ghost are all the same being, just different parts, so in having such a thing as a cross, it's not idolating. Also, I've never heard of anyone worshiping Jesus, he says not to I believe...but they praise him, which is a different thing, since he said he was the only way to get to heaven, through him. Lastly...some people wear such things simply as a good luck charm...hope this helps! smile

finti
indeed

lil bitchiness
I guess Hinduism and possibly Sikhism would be counted as idolatry religion?

I suppose anything that worshipes images and or statues. But then again, cross is a symbol and jesus on the cross is a symbol too...so...hmm, tricky.

God Puppet
I'll say once again, I've yet to meet a person who worships the cross... wink

debbiejo
When God said...

smile

It's interesting as well that God in the OT said to make an image of the Ark of The Covenant with the 2 angels on the top. Angels are in Heaven.

Are we to make an image or arn't we??

FeceMan
I'm an idolater. I spend way too much time playing on the computer and hanging out with my friends rather than on God.

debbiejo
Another way to look at it is that maybe God is pleased that you are enjoying the life He gave you.

God Puppet
Yes, I'm sure god wants us to enjoy ourselves, as long as we continue to know why we can. Also...I'm thinking, when god said not to make any graven images, he means it in more of a whole sentence, like if I said: Don't buy a cat and worship it!\ Ofcourse, I'm sure there may be a more imple explanation...but still, this one works as well really...old english and such is just strange... stick out tongue

finti
you aint a monk are you?, so I dont see the problem

FeceMan
Originally posted by finti
you aint a monk are you?, so I dont see the problem
I have a tendency to put the fun things in life above the things that actually matter.

Jedi Priestess

smile

I would really and honestly know what your hangup with Catholics is? Did a nun beat you once or what? For someone who professes to know so much about God and his compassion you display none of it. Almost every thread you create is a flamefest against Catholicism.

Jury
Idolatry is bowing for a god
Catholic Encyclopedia defines Idolatry this way:

Idolatry etymologically denotes Divine worship given to an image... smile

And this "image" doesn't limit to God alone... it also extends to the images of Jesus, the saints and their relics, and the Blessed Virgin.

Jury
Originally posted by God Puppet
I'll say once again, I've yet to meet a person who worships the cross... wink
Because they're wolves hiding in sheep's clothing.

finti
and big fancy looking churches

Jury
Originally posted by debbiejo
It's interesting as well that God in the OT said to make an image of the Ark of The Covenant with the 2 angels on the top. Angels are in Heaven.

Are we to make an image or arn't we??
Was it used for worship?

finti
said the serpent......

Jury
and big fancy looking churches
The church is not worshiped. It is a place where to worship God.

finti
then a shack should be plenty

Jury
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
I would really and honestly know what your hangup with Catholics is? Did a nun beat you once or what? For someone who professes to know so much about God and his compassion you display none of it. Almost every thread you create is a flamefest against Catholicism.
Is there a difference between creating threads like:

Is there a god/God?
Does God have the right to judge us?
Agnostic or Atheist?
etc...etc...

??? roll eyes (sarcastic)

What's wrong with asking questions like these? I guess none. smile
No need to create side-comments against me. Just answer if you wish to. It's free. It's also free if you won't.

smile

Jury
said the serpent......
Christ's apostles said that.

finti
why do church of christ build these fancy churches cause thats idolatry in disguise so dont go knocking others when it aint a bit better within your own denomination

no it was I who said it

Jury
I said the church was not built to be worshiped. It is God's commandment for us God's people to build a church or temple for us to worship and offer praises for Him. smile

There is a big difference between building a church and creating images to be worshiped.

finti
not when the churches are overly pompous, so idolatry in disguise

Jury
The church is not God. So we don't worship the church.

Idolatry in disguise? roll eyes (sarcastic) What's that?

Make your own definition for Idolatry, fins... its welcome here. smile

finti
idolatry in disguise are the pompous churches you build

Jury
yes According to Finti Lexicon 2005 Edition pray

Jedi Priestess
Is there a difference between creating threads like:

Is there a god/God?
Does God have the right to judge us?
Agnostic or Atheist?
etc...etc...

??? roll eyes (sarcastic)

What's wrong with asking questions like these? I guess none. smile
No need to create side-comments against me. Just answer if you wish to. It's free. It's also free if you won't.

smile

blink errr that wasnt a snide comment, I really do want to know what it is you have against Catholicism, it seems to be something that really angers you and Im curious as to why?

God Puppet
Umm......since when are churches worshipped? O.o

debbiejo
Church buildings aren't worshipped, but all the money spent on them could be used more for Gods purposes...

Though I've been in the really old latin Speaking Catholic churches, and they do smell neat with all the candles...and the stained glass is pretty. Everything echos in there. big grin

God Puppet
lol, I didn't even know those still existed. stick out tongue Latin!?

debbiejo
In Detroit they do...My Grandmother took me there when I was little...

My cousins and I had fun lighting all the candles...Didn't know you were supposed to pay for each one you lit. embarrasment

finti
in many cases the look of the church and how it is portrayed seem more important than the reason what churches really is all about , in those cases the church become worshipped. "Look at the beautiful church our denomination has compare to that denomination furhter down the road"

Jury
blink errr that wasnt a snide comment, I really do want to know what it is you have against Catholicism, it seems to be something that really angers you and Im curious as to why?
As I said, I have nothing against Catholics personally.

Catholics claim to be Christians because they believe they obey God's commandments and Christ's prohibitions. But what I saw seems to be otherwise... that's why I am asking questions for them to clear out. And when I found something inconsistent in their part with the Bible, more questions are to be raised.

This is a Religion Forum and the thread is created for discussion... not for side comments.

smile

finti
people interpreter the bible differently and however the bible is viewed is as good as any other view of it

Jedi Priestess
As I said, I have nothing against Catholics personally.

Catholics claim to be Christians because they believe they obey God's commandments and Christ's prohibitions. But what I saw seems to be otherwise... that's why I am asking questions for them to clear out. And when I found something inconsistent in their part with the Bible, more questions are to be raised.

This is a Religion Forum and the thread is created for discussion... not for side comments.

smile

You seriously can not take anyone who takes issue with what you post can you?

Jury
whistling No side-comments please. Stay on-topic.

What is Idolatry? Jedi Priestess, are you a Catholic, right? So, does your Church says you "worship" images of your saints? roll eyes (sarcastic)

finti
if that is their way, well that is their way........

Jury
yes Yes. That is their way. no2 Not the Bible's way.

debbiejo
They use them as intersarries, to God.

Bad spelling, I know

Jury
Intercessors to God... despite of the Biblical teaching that we only have one Mediator. smile

Jury
...and no Mediatrix even.

Jedi Priestess
whistling
What is Idolatry? Jedi Priestess, are you a Catholic, right? So, does your Church says you "worship" images of your saints? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well you know what, Im not entirely sure what the current thinking is on this as while Im a Catholic, Im not a practicing one for the most part.

So you see, all this time, youve been trying to tell me that I believe this and I believe that, you've been wrong.

I believe what I believe, if that gets me to heaven YAY! If not, well thats gonna suck.

My issue with you is your obvious hatred for Catholism, which is wrong in itself, because God has taught us that hatred is wrong. Guess that makes you less than perfect too huh? big grin

Darth Odious
I like the part in Hellraiser 3 when the priest points his crucifix at Pinhead. Pinhead laughs and says "That shall not bow before any graven image!" then the cross melt in the priest's hand. One "hell" of a movie. beer

Jury
Well you know what, Im not entirely sure what the current thinking is on this as while Im a Catholic, Im not a practicing one for the most part.

So you see, all this time, youve been trying to tell me that I believe this and I believe that, you've been wrong.

I believe what I believe, if that gets me to heaven YAY! If not, well thats gonna suck.
laughing Now, you're saying you're a non-practicing Catholic. Actually, there's no such thing. Meaning, it's nonsense. If somebody is a non-practicing Catholic... therefore he's definitely NOT a Catholic.

Anyway, this excuse is very common to Catholic... they defend their faith and man-made doctrines with these styles. Tsk, tsk, tsk no2

As expected. laughing out loud

Well, it is indeed a fact that one Catholic may have a different kind of belief to another... One believes he worships Mary... one cannot admit.

Therefore, Doctrinal Unity inside the Catholic Church is definitely IGNORED.

smile

One Catholic has admitted. Maybe more to come... And still a lot out there. happy

Jury
Originally posted by Darth Odious
I like the part in Hellraiser 3 when the priest points his crucifix at Pinhead. Pinhead laughs and says "That shall not bow before any graven image!" then the cross melt in the priest's hand. One "hell" of a movie. beer
I also remember in the movie "The Messenger" Joan of Arc Story starring Mila Jovovich... There was a scene where Mila was scratching against the wall - a sign of cross - and she prayed.... The "MAN" appeard inside her cell and he asked her: "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

smile No need to elaborate.

finti
it is all mam made doctrines, even your own denomination is man made jury

just as some church of christ members admitt it to be nothing but a cult

Jury
According to you fins. yes

finti
thats how it is

finti
and while at idolatry, what would you call your infatuation with X-men there jury?

Jury
Yes, according to you. smile

Jury
and while at idolatry, what would you call your infatuation with X-men there jury?
I'm not worshiping them. smile

finti
still it is idolatry and should be, according to your persistence aiming at catholics, a no no

Jury
I'm not bowing, praying, and serving before their images. smile

finti
idolatry

Jury
still it is idolatry and should be, according to your persistence aiming at catholics, a no no
No. Idolatry is worshiping images other than God. Bowing down before images, and serving them and kissing them... and even praying before them.

finti
idolatry

Jury
laughing Is that all you can say? laughing out loud Okay, I acknowledge your own contradicting definitions.

finti
at least I aint the one having a double standard

Jedi Priestess
laughing Now, you're saying you're a non-practicing Catholic. Actually, there's no such thing. Meaning, it's nonsense. If somebody is a non-practicing Catholic... therefore he's definitely NOT a Catholic.

Anyway, this excuse is very common to Catholic... they defend their faith and man-made doctrines with these styles. Tsk, tsk, tsk no2

As expected. laughing out loud

Well, it is indeed a fact that one Catholic may have a different kind of belief to another... One believes he worships Mary... one cannot admit.

Therefore, Doctrinal Unity inside the Catholic Church is definitely IGNORED.

smile

One Catholic has admitted. Maybe more to come... And still a lot out there. happy

ROTFLAMO! You conveniently forgot the rest of my quote there Jury.

And I have no earthly idea what you are babbling on about and I highly suspect that you dont either. But I do have to say as my last comment to you that you are a shallow, self-serving, judgemental, poor excuse for a god fearing individual. You spew hate in almost all your posts and hide it behind little happy faced smilies. If you believe that will absolve you of your transgressions and pave the way to an eternal life, you are sadly mistaken.

Finti baby, I leave you tp debate with this shortsighted little boy. And YES JURY that WAS a SNIDE comment directed right atcha. yes

Jury
laughing out loud Predictable. No, finti can say whatever he likes to. It doesn't matter in this discussion because he has nothing to do with Christians and Catholics... only Atheism.

Well, I acknowledge Jedi Priestess is whether an Idolater - worshiping 'Holy' Images - or a non-practicing Catholic - ignoring the doctrines the Catholic Church upholds.

Thank you for an honest exit from this discussion Jedi. Have a nice day.

smile

finti
first of all you dont have to divide chrisitans and catholics cause catholics are christians.
Secondly my saying matters as much as any regardless my view on religion, dont think because you are a member of a judgmental cult that thinks too highly of themselves your word matter more cause they dont.

Jury
smile

Christians do not worship images. Catholics do. There's no need to judge or accuse for what they do. It's already a fact. Very obvious.

Christians - Catholics. There's a difference no matter how you say it.

finti
christians -catholics , catholics are christians no matter how you and your petty little cult put it.

Jury
Yes, fins. Catholics are Christians because IN WORDS they believe in Christ, IN WORDS they obey Christ, IN WORDS they follow Christ. Always IN WORDS.

But when God prohibited the man to make graven images and bow before them and worship them, did they obey Him?

Obviously, no2 NOT.

That's why they have crucifix, scapulars, shrines, images of saints... etc.

finti
crusefix is a symbol of christianity, its not like they worship the cross it is a symbol to reflect the sacrifice god did.
if you havent noticed thats what the bible is filled with ,WORDS and nothing but WORDS

Jury
Crucifix and the graven image of Jesus is worshiped. One of the Catholic books say so.

"IN WORDS" means they profess their faith to Christ... but obviously they do not follow Him... they even violate Him.

smile

finti
you are so predictable, is it one of the elders of your little cult that has put upi up to this ,b y reading the WORDS of the bible which your little denomination thinks are the only one who can interpreter it rightfully or is it something out of own arrrogance

Jury
That's why I said, this matters for us Christians... not for you fins. smile This discussion is definitely not for you and not for the two of us to be argued with. I have God, you have none. The concept of Idolatry doesn't matter to you. I am concerned with the Bible when I post this thread and you dont. So, your posts and arguments are USELESS.

smile

gp christ loves
the bible states that idolatry is anything that takes our self away from god and away from living for him we are all idolaters in our own ways

Jury
And one way that takes the people away from God are these futile act of worshiping graven images.

debbiejo
And TV too.

finti
I have something better, I got the real thing people not a fairy tale deity

and idolisation of comic book heroes

debbiejo
Jury, do you believe in comics????

gp christ loves
FInti people will let you down god will not

Darth Odious
christians -catholics , catholics are christians no matter how you and your petty little cult put it. laughing laughing laughing

debbiejo
There was a time when Christianity was concidered a cult..

finti
hmm my experience is the opposite

still is

Jury
I have something better, I got the real thing people not a fairy tale deity

and idolisation of comic book heroes
Precisely.
When you got an "excessive adoration" to these comic book heroes as well as hollywood stars... and you are worshipping them... then that is IDOLATRY.

smile And I do not worship these things.

I do not worship things other than my God.

Jury
Originally posted by debbiejo
Jury, do you believe in comics????
blink believe in comics???

Are you thinking that I believe everything in the comicbooks really happened?

OMG. confused happy

Seriously. smile And OF COURSE... NOT. no2
Just answering.

smile

Jury

finti
so do you

Jury
no2 I do not worship any images as my God.

finti
yes you do

Jury
It's up to you. smile

Storm
No. Idolatry is worshiping images other than God. Bowing down before images, and serving them and kissing them... and even praying before them.
Idolatry is a term used by many religions to describe the worship of a false deity, which is an affront to their understanding of divinity.

The concept of giving worship to icons or images is called iconolatry.

FeceMan
Yet truth often comes in the guise of words.

Jury

Jury
The image and relics of the Catholic saint is also worhiped by the Catholics... so this is also Idolatry.

Jury
What do you think, Prince?

MRasheed

The worship of anything other than the One God, creator of reality.

King Castle
this:

http://craigmemorialbaptist.org/images/Church%20Cross%20Small.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.