Immortality

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eleveninches
If somebody lives up until the end of time, are they truely immortal???

What if someone is born a couple of seconds before the end of time? Would thatmean that they are immortal even though they are only a couple of seconds old.

DeVi| D0do
the end of time?

when does time end?

King Burger
If someone was born two seconds beofre the end of time, he would
not necessarily since for all we know, we may have lived only a
few days anyway.

For someone to be judged as immortal, they have to keep on living
well beyond what is possible for humans. If I lived 200 years without
any aging, then one can safely say that I am immortal.

Filth
So long as you imply that time has an end you contradict the idea of immortality, think of it this way someone who is immortal lives for ever but if time ends then that being is not immortal.

King Burger
Well, yes if you phrase the definition of immortality as "living forever",
but if you phrase it "not dying", then there would be room to point
out that once the universe ends, that person didn't "die", but just
ceased to exist.

Semantics I know, but with such abstract situations, words are very
important.

BullitNutz
If you die, you are not immortal. I think that's close enough.

Time can end if humanity rejects the concept of it. In which case, we go about living as normal, just rejecting the concept of time (forever shackled to your wristwatch? frightening way of putting the concept in to words) and going about our normal business.

gls
personally i'd hate to live forever.
u'd have to go through every war, disease, natural disastor...bleh.
i wouldn't mind seeing different times..but not living on and seein the ones i care about die..

Mainstream
living forever could be cool...I could say stuff like Apocalypse

" I am as far beyond mutants as they are beyond you...I am eternal!

Ketchuptome
Jus becuzz your Immortal does'nt mean you'll be young.

Mainstream
I want the real deal....stay young..if I get hurt I completely recover with in minutes..none of that pain, suffering and old age stuff....be like Vandel Savage...or I could switch bods every 4 or 5 thousand years like Apocalypse.

gls
apocalypse is only a few thousand years old...he jus rests and regenerates in his chamber..

Mainstream
just like michael jackson....he gotta chamber too....maybe he's immortal...if he gets life...that's gotta suck.

Ketchuptome
yes

Mainstream
life insurance guy: have you ever though of life insurance..our rates never increase no matter what.

Apocalypse: life insurance....foolish insect...I am ....Apocalyse...I am immortal...life insurance is the tool for feeble being who shall turn into dust...one such as myself shall never die...I am mortal...I have no rival no man can be my equal.

Filmmaker451
Maybe the world will someday end but time will keep on going for longer than ever. As for immortality I think only god is the one with that. He stays with us forver. The only way I think people will become immortal is if they invent a cure from dying in the future where no matter what it will stop you from dying that once and now you will never be in a situation like that ever and keep on living so long until the day the world blows up but '' Time will never end, My friend ''.

Fishy
Unless of course all things end and there is nothing

DarkCrawler
If I could choose, I would want to be immortal and invicible.

Fishy
Why? I could not imagine a more boring life..

There is nothing to challange you... Nothing you would want to do, maybe it will be fun for the first 100 or something years but after that it will just be boring and more of the same time after time again. History has a habit of repeating itself, and you can prodict what would happen because you already saw it happen before. Having eternal life would suck. Everybody you know and love will eventually die. Every object you owned will destroy itself threw age. Everything you ever saw would dissapear, if you want a live without any purpose then be my guest, but i can not think of a worse punishment then an eternal life.

Morbid4Daniel
The thought of immortality doesnt really cross my mind except for the theory of vampirism, which I believe in and always will..whether everyone else does or not. I have a unique vampire obsession anyway.

peterKSL
Originally posted by Fishy
Everybody you know and love will eventually die.

I sorta remember that line before somewhere when there was a talk about eternal life...

but don't worry... you will get used to losing those people that you love...

Fishy
Originally posted by peterKSL
I sorta remember that line before somewhere when there was a talk about eternal life...

but don't worry... you will get used to losing those people that you love...

Yeah you will get used to it, and you will forget to love completely. You will not want to you will fear it, and you would rather die then love something again. Your life would be cold empty and worthless... There is no way immortality would be a bliss, it would the worst thing that can happen to anybody. You may the most famous and richest person on the world, the most powerful and you may have mastered well pretty much everything but that doesn't mean your life gets any better.

Imagine living without anything to love, when every possession you have is just another thing that you will throw eventually. Nothing you read or see can get emotions from you anymore, because it has happened a million times already and you have seen it a million times already. Would it even be worth going outside? Would you enjoy the stars when your travelling threw space in the future? Could you honestly look at a sunset and think its beautiful?

Would you ever be amazed by how beautiful nature is, would you ever fall in love again? After doing it all a dozen times, it becomes worthless and without meaning. You will probably just be to afraid to ever commit again. Scared of what will happen the second you do, because you know damn well that it will eventually end and you will move on. Hurt once again, until eventually its nothing more then a long ago passed memory and it holds no value to you anymore.

immortality is only fun for a short time, after that it just becomes a curse.

peterKSL
its different for each individuals...

leonheartmm
Yeah you will get used to it, and you will forget to love completely. You will not want to you will fear it, and you would rather die then love something again. Your life would be cold empty and worthless... There is no way immortality would be a bliss, it would the worst thing that can happen to anybody. You may the most famous and richest person on the world, the most powerful and you may have mastered well pretty much everything but that doesn't mean your life gets any better.

Imagine living without anything to love, when every possession you have is just another thing that you will throw eventually. Nothing you read or see can get emotions from you anymore, because it has happened a million times already and you have seen it a million times already. Would it even be worth going outside? Would you enjoy the stars when your travelling threw space in the future? Could you honestly look at a sunset and think its beautiful?

Would you ever be amazed by how beautiful nature is, would you ever fall in love again? After doing it all a dozen times, it becomes worthless and without meaning. You will probably just be to afraid to ever commit again. Scared of what will happen the second you do, because you know damn well that it will eventually end and you will move on. Hurt once again, until eventually its nothing more then a long ago passed memory and it holds no value to you anymore.

immortality is only fun for a short time, after that it just becomes a curse.

MY LIFE IS LIKE THAT RIGHT NOW, N IM NOT IMMORTAL, SO SHOULD I JUST KILL MYSELF, {btw, id choose love over immortality anyday}

Fishy
But you still can. You havn't seen everything you can still learn to appreciate things, people that have been around for a million years will not be able to do something like that

leonheartmm
i have not seen everything in the literal sense of the word, but i cant really appreciate anythin anymore most of the time.{so its the same}

argen angel
something with no beggining can have no end, you could express immmortaliy as a mathimatical limit (for those of you who have taken college algebra)

lim = x-a
a->x

where x equals the year and is you age which can be simplified ( x = infinity (its infinite))

lim = infinity
a-> infinity

( infinity - a = infinity)

so ha! i just explained it mathimatically you cant beat that!

argen angel
oh and the littl "->" things are arrows

R355UR3CT
I think if you were immortal, things would lose meaning. Things that make you human. Probably lose interest in simple temptations?

Or maybe they would begin to have more meaning, you would understand how fragile life and everything around you really is. Being able to live through eternity understanding and learning endlessly.

Living forever... you would cease to be human. So why try to look at it from a human perspective. But if we do, i think it could be good or bad, but depending how you look at it... Life would have a totally different meaning... wouldn't it???

debbiejo
I think it is possible that we ARE immortal already, we just don't look at it that way...Once you shed your skin then TADA....you're free.

MetallicaT
Originally posted by debbiejo
I think it is possible that we ARE immortal already, we just don't look at it that way...Once you shed your skin then TADA....you're free.

wouldn't that be cool

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.