anakinīs fate: lava...lava...lava...is it true?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jedi fernando
now that everybody is talking about it. i really wanna know with quotes, pics, webpages, etc... if its really true. plz help me to find the truth.

LanceWindu
I have heard many variations of this, but Lucas came up with that, but if he is going to transfer it to film we don't know. It's still way too early to tell.

jedi fernando

LanceWindu
According to Lucas back when he made the OT then yes it is true.

Emperor Helmet
I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

Ushgarak
You won't believe how many of his plans have changed since then.

jedi fernando
right. but has this one changed?

Ushgarak
How the heck do we know? But I would guess at... maybe.

LanceWindu
Like I said, according to Lucas in the OT days yes, but then again we don't know if this has changed. We have to wait til Ep3. Otherwise it would be a major spoiler.

Emperor Helmet
The chances of an Anakin vs Obi-Wan lava duel.

Yes -- .000000000001% chance of happening

No -- 99.999999999% chance of happening

jedi fernando
in what do you base that argument? empero helmet

Emperor Helmet
Basicly I base it on everyones ridiculous predictions for the first II installments that haven't come close to happening.

jedi fernando

Emperor Helmet
You may think it's weak, but it's true.

LanceWindu
That theory has come in part though. Many people came up with what everyone thought was going to happen in TPM and AOTC. So far not nearly half have come true.

jedi fernando
i need a better argument to believe you

Emperor Helmet
Boba Fett's origin for one. Everyone thought he was a Mandalorian Supercommando. Now we know different.

jedi fernando

Emperor Helmet
No, it actually appeared in the ESB novel before it appeared in EU.

peluffo
WRONG: there is NO TRACE about Bobba Fett background history on ESB novelization. Just a little reference about the ORIGINS of his suit/disguise/armor or whatever you want to call it. And this reference don't mention Mandalorian warriors. READ.

Oh, I forget it. Based on your posts, i must KNOW that you are a really bad reader...

sand person no. 10
has anyone seen aotc? no so don't presume that we have got anything wrong (or right). If anakin doesn't fall into lava, chemical, sticky goo then why the need to replace his whole body for mechanical implants. ok so he loses an arm but that doesn't acount for his other three limbs let alone his torso. i should say something along the lines of the lava theory will happen.

LanceWindu
What if during a fight in Ep3 he somehow falls into a machine and it crushes most of his body, meaning he has to have almost all of his bones repleaced by mechanical parts?

jedi fernando
if we go for stupid theories we can say that he can get all cut in pieces by darth sidious or even obiwan.

peluffo
Or maybe he gets chopped when training his saber skills with his new mechanic-arm laughing out loud laughing out loud

Captain REX
"Okay, now Anakin, use your mechanical arm to swing right."
*Anakin swings left and chops off Obi-Wan's head*
"Sorry Master."
*Tries to spin saber around like a quarter-staff and cuts off all limbs.*
"OUCHY!"

Well, no one knows for certain what's going to happen. So far we're just guessing at lava duel, but we sorta kinda know that the Emperor gives him the suit and that Obi-Wan most likely fights him.

Emperor Helmet, do you have to argue with everyone and everything?

peluffo
laughing out loud laughing out loud

Can I contribute?

OB1 head, from the floor

"I hate when he does that!"
laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Julie
roll eyes (sarcastic) ok I'll admit smile

jedi fernando
yall have to go to this page
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/injuries.html

you can find stuff like this:
In the novelisation of Return of the Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi told Luke Skywalker:

" We fought ... your father fell into a molten pit. When your father clawed his way out of that fiery pool, the change had been burned into him forever --- he was Darth Vader, without a trace of Anakin Skywalker. Irredeemably dark. Scarred. Kept alive only by machinery and his own black will ... "

this is all theory, but why not take a look at it?

Captain REX
Sounds good to me! I hope it's part of it. The Lava pit duel is getting more convincing and convincing. I hope GL does put this in.

No, Emperor Helmet, I'm not saying it will.

Julie
roll eyes (sarcastic) because I don't really care about that particular rumor....Ep III will be EPIII w/ or w/o a lava scene wink stick out tongue

Ushgarak
I don;t know why anyone would find the lava thing more and more convincing just because of that passage from the ROTJ novel. That's the same sequence that says that Owen Lars is Obi-Wan's brother- another 'sacred' piece of fan lore that has turned out to be utterly wrong.

That whole sequence has no credibility.

DarthKris
that lava thing might not be true...
but how does anakin become vader then?
there must be something that destroys his body and draws him to the dark side
the lava fight would be a good explanation

Captain REX
Yes, it would. I'm sure GL looks at what fans say occassionally, so there's a chance of it being in Ep. III.

I found this Classic Moment on the Official Site. It was called "Cliffhanger," and was posted on the site on Jan. 4, 2002.

"I remember very early on asking who my parents were and being told that my father and Obi-Wan met Vader on the edge of a volcano and they had a duel... Now, I wonder if it's true? I mean, there are so many things. For example, remember the Clone Wars? They could have cloned my father. It's all speculation at this point, sort of like who shot J.R. Ewing."

It said that Mark Hamill had said this and what George had told him.

I'm not saying the lava duel will be in it, I just think this little piece of information is neat.

jedi fernando

Captain REX
Hmm...you sound as confusing as Yerssot. A good replacement while he's away. wink

Ushgarak
Yes, of course Geroge told him that.

As we have said before, the whole point is that the lava thing was certainly once GL's idea. That's why it was in the shooting scripts and the books

But SO MUCH stuff has changed since then- the original ideas for the prequel have changed so massively- that it is no longer the certainty that it was- indeed, it barely has any greater chance of occuring than any other idea that you may think of.

But it still might, of course.

Captain REX
Yeah, I know. Let's just all cross our fingers and hope it's in it. I want it to be part of it. As Emperor Helmet said, there's 0.0000001% chance of that happening, so there is a chance.

Emperor Helmet
You have a better chance of having a 3 some with Natalie Portman and Brittney Spears.

Captain REX
Shut your mouth, Helmet-hair.

Emperor Helmet
I'll take your opinion into consideration.

jedi212guy
Lava is hot. Don't touch it.

sand person no. 10
that would be sweet. hmmm, sandwhich!

Julie
roll eyes (sarcastic) please attempt some decency here

Captain REX
Yes, please. Britney Spears sucks. She's ugly, yes, UGLY!!!!!!

sarlacc
why are some of you in love with the lava theory. pesonaly, it has never sat right with me and i hope that GL has indeed changed his mind on this. i've always felt it was a little dumb. i agree that there is no conclusive evidence for either side of the argument, i just think that alot of GL's original visions have evolved as we've seen and i assume that this will be no different.

Captain REX
Well, Fernando, you've started an argumentative thread. No offense.

Well, I hope it is in it. NOBODY KNOWS but they all think they know.

yerssot
Nothing is as good devided as the human brain:
everyone thinks he has enough of those

jedi fernando
thats actually one of the reasons I like message boards, arguments.

people with different points of view, i consider myself open minded, thats why sometimes i get convinced. but other times i just stick with my beliefs.

Emperor Helmet
There isn't one thing that a fan has predicted correctly about either of the 2 prequel films. That is before shooting starts, and before there are leaks.

CyberFelon
I've thought about it and I can't think of how Anakin could be injured to the extent of needing the suit, other than falling into lava. Does anyone have any ideas of how it could be possible?

Hello, btw smile
I think this is my first post... I might have posted one thing ages ago, but I doubt it. I've been reading these forums for over a year, but just never got involved. So I thought I'd better make a contribution

Emperor Helmet
There are plenty of ways

yerssot
howdy there CF!
Welcome, post something in the welcome section to introduice you to the big public

hope you stay and post!

CyberFelon
Being crushed, which I've heard, seems a little violent for Star Wars as well as being a bit impossible to survive.

He can't have been shot, or hit with a lightsaber.

He might have fallen a really big distance, but didn't Obi-Wan fall a great distance in the generator room in Episode I? He seemed to handle it ok.

I'm not saying there isn't any other way, I'm just saying I can't seem to think of anything other than the lava theory. Falling is the closest I came, because we've also got to remember it's got to fit into a pg or possibly pg-13 film.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and thx yerssot smile

sarlacc
hey, cf i think there is a plausible explaination that you're forgetting. anakin is a pilot, so his injuries could be caused by a crash or blaster shot or something. i doubt it, but its possible. i think that a lightsabre battle is the most likely. whether there is a molten pit or its just a swipe to the chest or something like that.

CyberFelon
I already considered that. But being shot or sliced with a lightsaber would not injure his entire body. A crash might be possible, but that would be the ultimate antclimax. We're expecting a battle which causes his injuries. Crashing his speeder or flying a ship into a cliff face would leave us feeling ripped off. From deduction, I'm pretty sure it's lava.

Ushgarak
Bottom line is, lethal fights can easily leave someone as crippled as Vader is. So it doesn't HAVE to be some enortmous environmental damage that he took.

CyberFelon
Maybe. Can you explain what sort of battle damage would cause him to end up in a suit?

Ushgarak
Yes, being hacked near to death with a lightsabre.

CyberFelon
Yes, that's quite possible. However, this is going to be a pg rated film - pg-13 . at the most. But being cut up horribly by a lightsaber wouldn't be able to be shown. It would be considered quite violent, whilst falling into lava wouldn't. This is also why I could only come up with falling off a building or a platform etc. Those 2 things would not be considered 'violent' and would suit a pg - pg-13 film.

I completely agree that your suggestion is possible. But it wouldn't be allowed into the film, in my opinion.

sarlacc
i was just bringing up a crash or being shot down because i thought it would be funny if that was how the best star pilot in the galaxy recieved his injuries and that could be shown in a pg movie. but as said, it is most likely to happen in a climatic lightsabre duel. all the damage doenst have to be done by the sabre, but it could. i'm sure the battle will involve obiwan cleverly using his evironment which might include a molten pit or vat or possibly an explosion of some kind. and remmeber we did see darth maul cut in half with a spray of blood and there is a picture of anakin losing an arm from aotc.

Captain REX
Hacked up with a lightsaber would be too violent.

Captain REX
I found a whole page about his injuries at the Star Wars Technical Commentaries website. It doesn't say how he received them, but he does have some pretty bad injuries. The guy paused his movie and sketched Vader when he was being shocked with Force lightning.

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/injuries.html

Either he was crushed or the lava theory. I like the lava theory better.

Captain REX
I read the original first draft for The Star Wars at www.aldera.net. I read a few things about Kane Starkiller, a Jedi Bendu, father of Annikin and Deak Starkiller. Kane is talking with Jedi Bendu and General Luke Skywalker in the draft and is telling Luke to take Annikin as his Jedi Padawan. Kane says he's too old to finish the training, and Luke asks why. Here's where the script comes in that I copied.

Starkiller suddenly ignites in a rage and swings his left forearm down with a
mighty blow across the solid chrome desk the general is sitting on. The old
Jedi warrior's forearm cracks in two, spewing forth wires, and many fine
multicolored electronic components. The artificial limb flops lifelessly to
Starkiller's side. The warrior rips open his tunic, revealing a plastic chest
stuffed with flashing electric parts.

KANE (angrily)
I'm not the same. There is nothing left but my head and right arm... I've
lost too much, Luke...I'm dying.

It reminded me a lot of Vader, with his artificial arm and stuff. Kane only has nothing but his head and his right arm left. Sounds like Vader...

LanceWindu
Sweet.

I wish Lucas Books would release a book about nothing but first draft scripts for the movies or something. To see how much they differ from what we now have.

Captain REX
I'm guessing that The Star Wars scripts are the only good drafts. Once GL got to ESB and ROTJ, he knew pretty much what he was doing. I'd like to find the drafts to any of them.

yerssot
GL still gets lots of ideas out of those

Ushgarak
It doesn't HAVE to be shown violently, you know.

yerssot
shown what?

Ushgarak
If Anakin's wounds are sabre inflicted. It does not have to be shown graphically.

sarlacc
exactly ush. the swipe that killed maul wasn't shown. there are many ways to imply the violence but not actually show it. thats what i think will happen.

Odde Raciir
I don't believe in a lava event. Better think on some kind of acid bath or something.

Captain REX
If it was acid, wouldn't he have dissolved like in Austin Powers? Lava is more likely.

Plus, he has the fake arm and a mechanical neck "brace" in his neck if you look at the pictures on the link I gave. He couldn't get those from a saber inflicted wound unless Obi-Wan stuck his saber through Anakin's neck and so on and so forth. Plus, Jedi Knights, especially Obi-Wan, wouldn't be that aggresive and gore him.

sarlacc
not all of vaders injuries have to come from that one anticipated duel with ob1. and they don't all have to be from intentional strikes from ob1. as with the lava theory, it might be an uplanned incident. there may be an accidental explosion or cut open a vat of acid or molten metal or somthing along those lines. point is there is a myriad of possiblities that don't include a volcano fight where anakin falls in and is later recued before he is completey burnt by the emperor. personaly, i find it more believalbe to be acid than lava. have you ever jumped in lava before. i think the whole lava thing would just be too unbelievable. he could not stay in for long and if the emperor was there that soon why not save him before he fell in.

Captain REX
Well, the Emperor supposedly plans it. He wants Anakin as his apprentice, remember? I read that Obi-Wan and Anakin duel on the edge of a volcano and Anakin is shoved backwards and falls in, but Obi-Wan tries to save him and is unable to. A fissure shakes Anakin loose from OB1's grip and he lands in the lava. Obi-Wan believes Anakin to be dead and takes Anakin's lightsaber. The Emperor rushes in with the deal of "Join me and I can save your life."

sarlacc
i suppose that would work, but lava would kill him fast.

Captain REX
Well...yes. That GL has to do something about.

Ushgarak
Thgat's all very speculative, what you have been posting, Rex. Even the analysis of his injuries, which I remember myself and queeq talking about yonks ago, is only speculation in the end.

"Plus, Jedi Knights, especially Obi-Wan, wouldn't be that aggresive and gore him."

HUH? So, what, cutting someone in half is nice, is it?

You will have to accept that Jedi Knights WILL kill if they have to. And there is nothing nice about killing. They slash and hack people to death with highly advanced and deadly close range weapons. They can kill, and if they can kill they can damn well cripple as well! At ANY point of the body!

Captain REX
Darth Maul was a Sith, and had no close relationship with Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan wouldn't gore his own pupil, even if he was turning into a Sith.

Ushgarak
Oh right, so he was willing to kill him, but only in a nice way?

Combat is VICIOUS, Rex. Obi-Wan coukd easily have inflicted those wounds without being some mad sadist.

Captain REX
Okay then, you win this argument.

But I still think Obi-Wan wouldn't gore Anakin. But that's just me.

Ushgarak
Well, it depends what you mean. Certainly he wouldn't deliberately leave him crippled just to be mean, but anything can happen in a fight.

But he was in that fight- that assumed fight, anyway- to kill Anakin, and the gloves have to come off at that point.

Captain REX
It would be cool if he chops off Anakin's prosthetic arm and says "Now Anakin, I don't want to hurt you more than..." but then Anakin retaliates and tries ot kill him or something.

Ushgarak
Could you really see Obi-Wan doing that? He's the serious sort. He would know that if it came to a fight, it was to the death.

That's the point really, I guess. It must have torn Obi-Wan apart to have to fight his best friend, but I am sure he knew when he made the decision that this wasn't going to end halfway.

Captain REX
Hmm...

Obi-Wan almost fights Qui-Gon in the Jedi Apprentice series. Those are good books.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.