Italian Neorealism

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mayor_gamgee
Italian Neorealism was a group of films from a specific time frame. However, many agree that there are some directors and some films that transcend this barrior (<-How I spell that?). One of which is the director Pier Paolo Pasolini.

Does he count? Specifically, does "The Gospel According to St Matthew" count?

MildPossession
It isn't an Italian neo-Realism film no, he doesn't count. But he had influence from the era for this film, in the actors aspect of neo realism. If you are interested in Pasolini, take a look at the film maker Carl Theodor Dreyer, Pasolini admired his films and took influence from them for some of his films, especially Gospel.

One of the most famous INR films is Bicycle Thieves(1948), for people who want to get a look into the era, one of the easier films to get hold of.

mayor_gamgee
The story of Gospel is one of the coolest I have heard. Pasolini was visiting the Pope for an interview (they were great friends, despite Pasolini's choice to be atheistic). While he was waiting in his hotel room, he picked up the Bible and began to read the New Testament. He loved the story and took off to start upon filming it. Just as many INR directors had done, he used no script, instead filming directly off of the page.

To this day, there are no New Testament films that compare to this one made by a Marxist atheist.

Anyway, if anyone does read this, The Bicycle Thief was great. Another to check out would be anything by Rosselini. "Open City."

Jackie Malfoy
Originally posted by mayor_gamgee
Italian Neorealism was a group of films from a specific time frame. However, many agree that there are some directors and some films that transcend this barrior (<-How I spell that?). One of which is the director Pier Paolo Pasolini.

Does he count? Specifically, does "The Gospel According to St Matthew" count? \

I saw that movie it was great.JM eek!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.