Does the DS Touchpad Actually Hinder the Production of Games??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
Just a thought. It would explain why the games take so long to come out. That and the cartridge format.

Smasandian
Maybe.
I dont think its the manufacturing per say, but developers trying to use the touch screen. Its pretty innovating but because of that, developers dont know how to develop for it, to the point of getting good at it. Thats my guess.

Also, I think they released it way to early to try to get in before the PSP.

Draco69
Well let's think about it:

Let's say a game company makes "X-Men Legends" for the PSP and the DS. The PSP would be rather easy to format it to. However for the DS, it would require a complete renovation. They would have to implent new ideas for the touchpad. The control scheme would be changed. In fact the entire gameplay would be altered.

If anyone has noticed the DS games are games specifically designed for the DS. While other games are multi-platform, the DS requires extra work and money to implment the touchpad. And most companies aren't willing to opt for that.

And has anyone noticed that there are no fighting games on the DS nor any in the future?

Cannot imagine playing Soul Calibur or Tekken with the touchpad. Ten-hit comboes would be damn near impossible.

Mainstream
not a DS man are ya?

Draco69
I'm just EXTREMELY disappointed in the DS. Poor library. Poor control. Poor design overall.

They could have done ALOT better. The touchpad is just a gimmick. People say it works great....for Feel the Magic and Yoshi and other games specifically designed for the DS.

But once you wanna play Star Wars, Soul Calibur, or Prince of Persia the touchpad will become a nuisance.

SaTsuJiN
why would the touchpad hinder ideas?.. they could do lots of extra things with it that cant be accomplished with psp's media

Draco69
Hinder games not ideas. For multi-console games such as the upcoming Star Wars they would have to reinnovate the game just for the DS. Because of the touchpad.

SaTsuJiN
hmm.. I'd think of it as opportunity as opposed to hinderance.. however Im sure they can ignore the touchpad and just program it like normal.. its not mandatory to be touch compatible after all.. its just a side quirk

Draco69
The touchpad is kinda of mandatory for 3D games. A directional pad isn't gonna cut it. Which is why you needed the touchpad for Mario. 2D games like Kirby or Yoshi are fine.

Ever wonder why Spider-Man 2 was made into 2d format?

SaTsuJiN
lol.. they ignored the touchpad.. I suppose its developer preference. touch pad is neat, but it needs more attention than some devs are willing to give

Draco69
True.

Spider-Man 2 DS didn't ignore the touchpad. They used the bottom one to perform attacks.

Mainstream
Originally posted by Draco69
I'm just EXTREMELY disappointed in the DS. Poor library. Poor control. Poor design overall.

They could have done ALOT better. The touchpad is just a gimmick. People say it works great....for Feel the Magic and Yoshi and other games specifically designed for the DS.

But once you wanna play Star Wars, Soul Calibur, or Prince of Persia the touchpad will become a nuisance.

The DS isn't the new gameboy...it's like the bastard son of the Game boy the new Gameboy should be out by christmas time.

Draco69
The one with "Dreamcast graphics?" I highly doubt it will be out that soon. But just the fact that they are scrambling to make a new one just goes to show what a failure the DS is. And Nintendo knows it. The DS is just some pocket change of the new one.

Mainstream
the DS isn't a failure they sold almost 4 million of them..the DS was an experiment...it's not as bad as that VR everything in Red view master thingie that came out a few years back. When it comes to hand helds Nintindo is tops...the PSP is the first true threat it's ever faced since Nintendo old school GB came out back in the day.

Draco69
A failure for profit? No. A failure for a product? In my opinon, yes.

For the new one, they had better wise up and get with the new market. Touching virtual puppies aint' gonna cut it.

Mainstream
true....but I have faith in Nintendo.....once upon a time they were kings.

DracotheDragon
I think that the DS, while being completely innovative, has one flaw, the touchpad, not on gameplay, but on the completion of games for the DS. (I love the DS due to the touchpad, and gameplay) While the PSp was designed for multimedia, the DS was designed for games, and that is what I am a gamer for, not multimedia, but games. Although the DS and GBA are going to have a multimedia cartridge that works with both the DS and GBA (called the Play-Yan), It's only for small media, not like the PSp or the Gizmondo, which weren't really created for gaming, but more for things like DVD's on the go without the DVD, or portable music (which we have things called mini-disc players and MP3 players for that), so the DS just has to wait a little longer for games to come out due to the Touchpad, but these games are now more interactive than the PS2, the Xbox, the Gamecube, and every other gaming system out there. I think that nintendo will always have the lead on portable gaming, because every portable system they come out with is innovative. For example, touchpad, flip screen, two speakers, two screens, etc. are what make the DS head of the portable industry. Also the GBA was the first system on the market to go Wireless when communicating to another of it's kind. The other quality that makes nintendo's portable systems so good is that you don't need a memory card to continue a file, it saves to the cartridge, so I don't see a down side here. Oh, and the DS doesn't use cartridges, I believe they are called chips, though don't quote me on this...

Mainstream
the DS was just a side thing...it's not the true Gameboy.

Draco69
The problem is that the portable gaming industry is powered by the people who make the games...which is the same people who make console games. The touchpad requires extra production and extra work for the DS. It may require an entirely different concept than what they are making for the other consoles.

The games for the DS are specifically made for the DS. Due to the touchpad. The PSP does not require any new innovation or extra work. Thus this is why the games are coming out like clockwork for the PSP. The DS requires more work and more fine-tuning to the control.

Example: Dynasty Warriors

PSP does not require any new innovations. DS however requires new innovation since the touchpad operates as a poor man's analog stick and a map at the same time. Not to mention it is more difficult to translate the data to a cartridge than it would be a CD type disc since the technology is rather outdated. It's very much like Windows and Mac. More compatability.

DracotheDragon
wtf? Not to be offensive here, but um.... Isn't all the games so far for the PSp already on the PS2, or am I the only one that's noticed this? The DS has games of it's own, and a couple remakes... I think the DS is more innovative this way.

Draco69
About a fourth of them. Like Twisted Metal and Dynasty Warriors. Most of them are original.

DS has VERY innovative games. But extremely weird and not very indepth. There's only so long you can play with a toilet seat.

Mainstream
heh heh come on new Gameboy...come on out.

DracotheDragon
blink

Konjammenson
done ALOT better.

A LOT is two words

Smasandian
Well, give the system some time to get different games.
Its about a half year old.

Mainstream
it's just a baby.

powerfulone1987
I like both this system and the PSP

belly_jeans349
i dont think its the touchpad, i think its the fact the nintendo company keeps making gameboy advance games still! if they want to sell their ds product off the store then they have stop with gba and go to ds! the playstation company is slowing down on ps2 and working on psps, at the same time they are preparing games for the ps3 comming out. so if nintendo wants to get back in the lead they have to stop making gba games, slow down on gamecube, and work on the nintendo revolution and ds

Smasandian
What a stupid thing to say.

Slow down production on the GBA?
They would lose tons of cash. THe DS is not an upgraded version of the GBA. Its a different product thats catering to a different market (Or so they say).
Slow down production on the GC?
THey would also lose tons of cash. You keep on producing for a product thats still on the market, no matter what console is in research or design.

Nintendo can easily produce for 4 console/handheld systems. Its still a very big company.

Robo-Chocobo
Well let's think about it:

Let's say a game company makes "X-Men Legends" for the PSP and the DS. The PSP would be rather easy to format it to. However for the DS, it would require a complete renovation. They would have to implent new ideas for the touchpad. The control scheme would be changed. In fact the entire gameplay would be altered.

If anyone has noticed the DS games are games specifically designed for the DS. While other games are multi-platform, the DS requires extra work and money to implment the touchpad. And most companies aren't willing to opt for that.

And has anyone noticed that there are no fighting games on the DS nor any in the future?

Cannot imagine playing Soul Calibur or Tekken with the touchpad. Ten-hit comboes would be damn near impossible.

sigh....you never ****ing learn do you?

You can't compare them due to their creative medians.

I mean do you honestly expect you could play DS games on the PSP?

belly_jeans349
Originally posted by Smasandian
What a stupid thing to say.

Slow down production on the GBA?
They would lose tons of cash. THe DS is not an upgraded version of the GBA. Its a different product thats catering to a different market (Or so they say).
Slow down production on the GC?
THey would also lose tons of cash. You keep on producing for a product thats still on the market, no matter what console is in research or design.

Nintendo can easily produce for 4 console/handheld systems. Its still a very big company.

how do you explain the playstation company getting sooo much money?

Draco69
Originally posted by Robo-Chocobo
sigh....you never ****ing learn do you?

You can't compare them due to their creative medians.

I mean do you honestly expect you could play DS games on the PSP?

So says the Nintendo fanatic...

roll eyes (sarcastic)

You obviously lack the intelligence to understand that non-Nintendo corporations have to expend more revenue and production into making Nintendo DS games because of the control issues. For example, the gaming company that made Spiderman 2 for Nintendo DS had to completely revamp the game in order to incorporate Nintendo DS' touchpad. The "creative medians" is meaningless. Games made by Nintendo were made for the Nintendo DS. Games made by other corporations require extra tweaking or even a complete makeover.

Is there any other reason why Nintendo DS has less than twenty games in a span of nearly 8 months? The other games that are still in production do not even have any screenshots to their name.

There's a reason why "Robo-Chocobo" is such a fitting title for you. Like all ostrich-type creatures of the world you like to stick your head in the sand.

SaTsuJiN
So says the Nintendo fanatic...

roll eyes (sarcastic)

You obviously lack the intelligence to understand that non-Nintendo corporations have to expend more revenue and production into making Nintendo DS games because of the control issues. For example, the gaming company that made Spiderman 2 for Nintendo DS had to completely revamp the game in order to incorporate Nintendo DS' touchpad. The "creative medians" is meaningless. Games made by Nintendo were made for the Nintendo DS. Games made by other corporations require extra tweaking or even a complete makeover.

Is there any other reason why Nintendo DS has less than twenty games in a span of nearly 8 months? The other games that are still in production do not even have any screenshots to their name.

There's a reason why "Robo-Chocobo" is such a fitting title for you. Like all ostrich-type creatures of the world you like to stick your head in the sand.

why should it matter if they have to 'work' to revamp the game? .. I mean.. programmers dont have souls.. whip them and get them coding I say.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Draco69
Work takes time and money. Some of which some corporations would not be willing to expend.

SaTsuJiN
if they arent willing to spend it.. dont bother making it.. crap like spider man 2 isnt selling the ds anyhow lol

Draco69
Actually it was one of the top-selling titles for the DS....

That's self-defeating, Nintendo relies on game corporations to make them games for their systems. Yoshi and Mario can only carry them so far.

SaTsuJiN
humor me for a second.. based on these screenshots..
would you buy the pile of horseshit called spider man 2 for DS?

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/924604_20041119_screen005.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/924604_20041119_screen006.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/924604_20041119_screen011.jpg

more , you say?

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/924604_20041119_screen012.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/924604_20041105_screen003.jpg

Wooo lord.. these graphics are on fire!.. look at that hotness! /sarcasm no expression

ah yes... so self defeating (my ass) whoever bought this hunk of crap that calls itself software most definately has a hole in their head that desperately needs to be filled with a fairly large organ called a brain big grin but thats just me

like I said.. if they feel its so troublesome to program for the ds.. let em leave.. otherwise they can stay and possibly make some profit if their game does well

Draco69
Would I buy it? Absolutely not. And yet thousands of other people bought it. (Which depresses me greatly)....

I agree with the second paragraph. However in business you do what is profitable. And many companies do not find making a proverbial "special console" game that is compatible with the other systems and not the DS non-profitable.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.