The Media: Are They Too Powerful?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
Discuss.

DarkCrawler
Maybe...

botankus
Possibly.

Fishy
Yes, the Media is the most powerful organisation in any country...

The Media can totally destroy or create a person if they want too. Its one of those problems in a lot of country's where all the Media is ruled by only a few people. Things like that can be dangerous, can you imagine what the Media would do if they supported one particular politician? They would praise him into heaven make sure he does everything they want and they will keep on praising him. If he does something they do not like however they can burry him into the ground and completly destroy him.

The Media is one of the most powerful things in the world, and the only that keeps it from getting power over a country is that there are many of them and not all by the same person.

Alpha Centauri
Depends on the individual.

It's pretty obvious that the media isn't a power but a tool. The government are the power using the tool to it's ultimate effectiveness and spellbinding the masses as a result.

-AC

finti
good thing we have large political independent media groups in Norway

Draco69
The media isn't really a tool. Rather they are an power institution. They are intricately connected to two other power institutions: government and economy.

The media is on the same level as the government. They can make or break a candidate. They shape people's views of events and personalities to their liking. And they literally control information.

Fishy
Most country's do, and thats a good thing. But the media still has a lot of power. They can do pretty much everything a government can purely by pressuring them into doing it. Hypothetical situation:

All of the Media in the US would start attacking Bush, using all his faults against him constantly.. The support for Bush would drop drastically until eventually he would just be kicked out of office and somebody else would replace him, that somebody would make sure he would stay on the good side of the Media.

Now because the Media often has different idea's and they are owned by different people this won't happen, but the power they could have is incredible and supreme.

WindDancer
What the media wants is controversy. And controversy sells! The hottest story is what people want. Even to the point of exaggerating the report is a key to get higher ratings. It works in every country. Don't give me that "the media in my country is not bias...." BS because is all the same all over the globe. They only thing they care about is ratings and about viewers. The more viewers the more sponsors they get. Is the media powerful? No, but it can turn into propaganda.

Draco69
Exactly. The media gives the people what they want. Not what they need. Which is why the general US public is completely oblivious to what is going on around the world. Unless it concerns them.

Ratings are all the matter.

Not to mention the corporations such as G.E. (which produces military defense systems) also own a large portion of the media. Which suggests a conflict of interests. If media is private-owned, then a conflict of interests is sure to follow.

Fishy
Originally posted by WindDancer
What the media wants is controversy. And controversy sells! The hottest story is what people want. Even to the point of exaggerating the report is a key to get higher ratings. It works in every country. Don't give me that "the media in my country is not bias...." BS because is all the same all over the globe. They only thing they care about is ratings and about viewers. The more viewers the more sponsors they get. Is the media powerful? No, but it can turn into propaganda.

Of course the media is bias.. When did i ever say it wasn't? I just said that it isn't united yet and it isn't turning against one person purely for the sake of becoming more powerful, not because they wouldn't want too but because they can't.

Draco69
Actually the media is becoming more and more concentrated. In other words companies are merging or buying out each other. A good example is AOL Time Warner. The media industry is becoming smaller but more concentrated.

Fusion Ha!

Fire
Originally posted by Fishy
Yes, the Media is the most powerful organisation in any country...

The Media can totally destroy or create a person if they want too. Its one of those problems in a lot of country's where all the Media is ruled by only a few people. Things like that can be dangerous, can you imagine what the Media would do if they supported one particular politician? They would praise him into heaven make sure he does everything they want and they will keep on praising him. If he does something they do not like however they can burry him into the ground and completly destroy him.

The Media is one of the most powerful things in the world, and the only that keeps it from getting power over a country is that there are many of them and not all by the same person.

True that's why state TV under serious inspection by parliament is one of the best ways to do it IMO.

about media supporting a one particular politician Italy is a very fine example

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Draco69
The media isn't really a tool. Rather they are an power institution. They are intricately connected to two other power institutions: government and economy.

The media is on the same level as the government. They can make or break a candidate. They shape people's views of events and personalities to their liking. And they literally control information.

Of course the media isn't on the same level as the government. The media are controlled highly by the government. Unless that's what you meant.

The government want control, we all know that. They also know we won't listen to them directly so they use the most powerful method there is, media. It works, horrifically enough.

-AC

Draco69
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Of course the media isn't on the same level as the government. The media are controlled highly by the government. Unless that's what you meant.

The government want control, we all know that. They also know we won't listen to them directly so they use the most powerful method there is, media. It works, horrifically enough.

-AC

Not really, the media serve several vital functions: they are agents of socialization, instructing people in the norms and values of their society and generally transmitting the society's culture; they are sources of information, supplying citizens with knowledge about their society and especially about the political economy; They function as propaganda mechanisms through whic powerful units of the government and economy seek to persuade the public either to support their policies or to buy their goods.

The governement is dependent on the media. They require the media to convey their messages and shape public opinion. However, the media can shape whatever information they receive to their own benefits. It is the media elite who are largely responsible for molding the public's conception of political, economic, and social events and conditions. The media has the ability to propagate dominant values and shape political reality through their items (i.e. books, magazines, tv, movies, video games, etc.) Their power is underrated and kept discret. For example, Dean the presidential candidate for election 2004 was massacred by the media. They stopped a potential canidate from becoming president. They control what is released to the public and what isn't. They are very powerful because they control society. Government can only do so much to limit them because the 1st amendment blocks most of their efforts.

Alpha Centauri
Not really, the media serve several vital functions: they are agents of socialization, instructing people in the norms and values of their society and generally transmitting the society's culture; they are sources of information, supplying citizens with knowledge about their society and especially about the political economy; They function as propaganda mechanisms through whic powerful units of the government and economy seek to persuade the public either to support their policies or to buy their goods.

Where do you suppose those "norms" and societal ideals come from then? Hmm? It's not created out of thin air. Mainstream Media isn't a collection of ideas thought up by random people, it's quite clearly there to spellbind the masses and to keep people stupid. The government need the media, yes, but the media don't need the government as much, because they are a tool that need to be used to be effective. Without corporate backing, government backing, media isn't very powerful at all. The government use the media to push all the products out there and convince people to give up their cash for shit they don't need or probably want, but without the media, they government would still be there. Which is basically what you said in the end of that quote....which is what I said at the start...they're a tool that gets used.

The governement is dependent on the media. They require the media to convey their messages and shape public opinion. However, the media can shape whatever information they receive to their own benefits. It is the media elite who are largely responsible for molding the public's conception of political, economic, and social events and conditions. The media has the ability to propagate dominant values and shape political reality through their items (i.e. books, magazines, tv, movies, video games, etc.) Their power is underrated and kept discret. For example, Dean the presidential candidate for election 2004 was massacred by the media. They stopped a potential canidate from becoming president. They control what is released to the public and what isn't. They are very powerful because they control society. Government can only do so much to limit them because the 1st amendment blocks most of their efforts.

They don't need the media though. You're confusing need with accessibility. The media exist and happen to be a powerful avenue for the government to control. Media isn't as powerful without the government, hence why public access will never be as powerful as network television. To say media is as powerful as the government is silly.

Where do you suppose the media elite get their ideas? Government?

You're pretty much agreeing with me, but you are giving the media much higher credit in my opinion.

-AC

Deano
answer is yes..of corse the media is too powerful
they can change your state of mind in a instant

Draco69
Where do you suppose those "norms" and societal ideals come from then? Hmm? It's not created out of thin air. Mainstream Media isn't a collection of ideas thought up by random people, it's quite clearly there to spellbind the masses and to keep people stupid. The government need the media, yes, but the media don't need the government as much, because they are a tool that need to be used to be effective. Without corporate backing, government backing, media isn't very powerful at all. The government use the media to push all the products out there and convince people to give up their cash for shit they don't need or probably want, but without the media, they government would still be there. Which is basically what you said in the end of that quote....which is what I said at the start...they're a tool that gets used.

They don't need the media though. You're confusing need with accessibility. The media exist and happen to be a powerful avenue for the government to control. Media isn't as powerful without the government, hence why public access will never be as powerful as network television. To say media is as powerful as the government is silly.

Where do you suppose the media elite get their ideas? Government?

You're pretty much agreeing with me, but you are giving the media much higher credit in my opinion.

-AC

Ah. Our opinions are pretty much the same. Although I believe that media is on par with the government in terms of influence.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah that's what I said.

Sucks though.

-AC

IceWithin
Depends on the individual.

It's pretty obvious that the media isn't a power but a tool. The government are the power using the tool to it's ultimate effectiveness and spellbinding the masses as a result.

-AC

yes like the nazis... they spend lots of money on making films on how the jews sucked... to get "publicity"

Draco69
It will suck even more as the media keeps concentrating into each other.

IceWithin
what?

Draco69
Merging. Like AOL did with Time-Warner.

IceWithin
I have no idea what ure talkin bout erm I've never heard of time-warner embarrasment

Draco69
Okay. Well um....it's like combining peanut butter with jelly. Seperately they both tasteful. Together they are very tasteful. Concentration/Mergance increases power. The best of both worlds. However by limiting the number of corporations the bias increases. Like only having a limited selection of food choices.

IceWithin
oooh... so time warner and AOL merged?
got it wink

Fishy
And that sucks...

One Media outlet that becomes to powerful is a real danger to governments and people. Especially if it isn't common knowledge that it works like that, which can easily be hidden in a democratic country if you own the Media...

Bardock42
I say the Media is not powerful enough....anyways

IceWithin
thats stupid bardock.. wuld u mind explaining why u want the media to b even more pwerful?

lil bitchiness
Yes - the power of the media is immense. It can create mass panic, it can make you believe whatever the hell the governemnt want you to know - media is breeding ground for propaganda of any kind.

Jea-nny
of course, they are powerful...
the media influences our thinking, our feelings,etc...
you get prejudices against someone and the media can show what they want--the audience has to believe it...

Bardock42
Originally posted by IceWithin
thats stupid bardock.. wuld u mind explaining why u want the media to b even more pwerful?

I know that was a joke.

I personally don't mind the media being so strong as it is, of course nthey are powerful but they are just powerful because we belive everything they say...so in fact we are the ones that have the power and they just have the abillity to use us ( well at least some of us)

But for those of you who think the media is too powerful....well what do you want to do aboot it....abnd be aware that I am not afraid to call someone fascist

IceWithin
of course that if ure an american republican u wont mind the media being so powerful cuz all they do is kiss bush's ass

Bardock42
I'm a german liberal What the f**k?

Fishy
Originally posted by Bardock42
I know that was a joke.

I personally don't mind the media being so strong as it is, of course nthey are powerful but they are just powerful because we belive everything they say...so in fact we are the ones that have the power and they just have the abillity to use us ( well at least some of us)

But for those of you who think the media is too powerful....well what do you want to do aboot it....abnd be aware that I am not afraid to call someone fascist

We don't really have much of a choice, at least a lot of people don't they will believe what they are told..

The Media can easily tell a lot of people that America that every vulcano in the world suddenly erupted show some outdated images and then start a fundraiser and make millions. How many people are actually going to go there to check? Very few, the Media can just ignore all the facts and refuse to tell them. Of course the real problem is the internet here, and our only real freedom. Would we lose the internet however we would pretty much be forced to believe what we are told, becuase that is all we know

IceWithin
never said you were an american republican erm

plus u dont sound much like a liberal to me... perhaps a democrat..

Bardock42
Thats so wonderful in america you can chose either between fascists or communist....no I am a free liberal in the historic sense of the word not the american bullshit liberal stuff.

I know you didn't say I'm an american republican but you I'm one of the people that don't care if the media is powerful or not.

Well yes thats true they could tell everyone that.....but they all would had too and are you sure that alll news would send this lie...and as you said there is still the internet....I don't see the problem...if you don't like it open your own news channel or do whatever its a free country they can do what they want...you can do what they want.

Fishy
Their not abusing their power (yet) or at least not greatly... I see no reason to protest or start my own channel maybe later...

And yes i know that all should go along with it, but thats the problem if company's like buy each other in silence

Bardock42
Well it would be better if they would do it openly but morally I don't object to that either.

Darth Jello
the media has always been the unofficial 4th branch of government that kept the other three branches in line. Unfortunately, with deregulation and the reapeal of the fairness act, the media has become the mouthpiece of the ruling party and corporate interests, bombarding the nation with bias news and infotainment presented as news with less and less time spent on reporting actual news.

Capt_Fantastic
Is the media too powerful? Not if they're used for the reason's they espouse. The media should be powerful. It's when they become corrupt that they become too powerful for the wrong reasons. Yes, corporations have become part of the picture. But, what about in the old days, when the media was an independant industry. People like William Randolph Hurst could make or break presidents. It's one of the themes of Citizen Kane. These days, political parties own stock in media corporations, in a very hidden hand and backroom kind of way. I suppose it all comes back to journalistic integrity.

Draco69
Corporations like G.E. or Disney also own stock in media corporations. There's no such thing as independent media anymore.

Capt_Fantastic
Corporations like G.E. or Disney also own stock in media corporations. There's no such thing as independent media anymore.

Exactly. And that's why political lobbyists run this country. These huge corporations want standards and laws to change so they can pursue their own greedy interests, so they pay people to go to washington and bribe elected officials. It's actually one of the themes of the Star Wars Prequel trilogy.

finti
yes there are independent media, there are other places in the world than the US where there are a political system that is made up of more than just two parties. Some of these parties are all about being watchdogs so that media can be independent

Draco69
In the US, I meant.

Court Radcliffe
yes yes

Big Evil
I don't know about other countries but you give American media too much credit.

"Ohnoes! Michal Jackson!"
"Bush is t3h 5uCk0rZ!"
"OmGz another murder trial!"

If by "powerful" you mean "really really annoying" then you hit it dead on..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.