My review of Irreversible

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pablo G

A Talking Dog
"on a scale of 1 to ten, one being the lowest, 10 being the highest, i would give it a NINE"

BackFire
Pablo, good review.

I agree with alot of your points, I had small problems with the overuse of the jittery camera, although it did help to portray the pure insanity going on at the beginning of the film. But I didn't have any problem getting into the storyline because of the camera shots. I thought for the most part the way the film was shot was very strong and one of the strong points of the film.

Also, I believe he also had the camera so jittery at the beginning of the film so that when the rape scene came along, the contrast between that scene and the earlier scenes would be much more noticeable. If we had seen more then just jumbled images at the beginning, then the blunt, rapce scene wouldn't have been quite as powerful in my eyes.

I suggest you watch it again though, it's a movie that requires a couple of viewings to fully apreciate. Glad you enjoyed it though.

Evil Dead
I still can't find this movie anywhere.

badkittykitty
me either..???

tabby999
its getting banned in Aus so i wont get to see it either

DeNiro
I in the same boat that your in ED

BackFire
I saw it for rent at a few smaller rental chains. And it's available for purchase at Best Buy.

Linkalicious
I bought it on bestbuy.com like 3 days ago, i'm waiting for it to show up on my door step from Mr. UPS himself.

It sounds like a really interesting movie.

Kes
Agreed. The camera moving around (thou beautifully made because the camera doesnt shake, it just movies around) takes a bit of getting use to it. But when you get to the rape scene..it just makes you wish the camera was moving around instead of just "sitting" there!And makes it stronger.

Pablo G>I dont think it should have ended sooner because the end is the beginning and you would see that kind of stuff at the beginning if the movie had been done normally.

slayer
Haven't seen it. Want 2 though.

Mordecai
It didn't end up getting banned. big grin

I've seen it about twice now, its great.

tabby999
their appealing the decision, and theres only a few cinemas playing it in melb

slayer
1 to be exact. Lumiere

Kes
A little curiosity!
BF did you know she is married to Vicent Cassel? The guy that plays Marcus in Irreversible? Their gonna have a baby.
I had no idea! They've been married for 5 years!

BackFire
Yeah, I know Kes.

I'd like to recomend that everyone who enjoyed Irreversible go and watch Gasper Noe's first film, I Stand Alone. It's deals with similar, taboo subjects and is equally powerful. Think of Taxi Driver but even darker and more sinister.

Kes
Bugger!
Another curiosity, this one has to do with the movie!big grin
The first 30 minutes of the film has a background noise with a frequency of 28Hz (low frequency, almost inaudible), similar to the noise produced by an earthquake. In humans, it causes nausea, sickness and vertigo. It was the main cause of people walking out of the theaters during the first part of the film in places like Cannes and San Sebastian. In fact, it was added with the purpose of getting this reaction.

Linkalicious
^ was that from Irreversible?

I heard that noise because my whole house was completely silent....it freaked me out at first, but then it zoned me into the movie...

Kes
Yup its from the movie.

BackFire
Yeah, I heard about that noise freaking people out. Guess it was just another way of adding to the insanity and the sick images on screen.

Kes
Indeed!

Gabri_Krueger
ive never even seen the damned thing

dean7879
i downloaded it off kazaa and i didnt enjoy it....its not that it is crap because i know what the director was trying to put across and he did it wonderfully but i dont enjoy these kind of sick crazy films.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.