In Memoriam--Kurt Cobain--1967-1994

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Revan
Since the 10 year anniversary of his death is coming up soon, I figured I'd post something about it... It makes me feel all sentimental... Post your thoughts here.

Here's a sig I made awhile back...

slashwristbarbi
Nirvana are my favourite band and Kurt Cobain, in my opinion, was one of the greatest artists (both in his music and actual artwork). I think it's a great idea to have a thread to honour his memory 10 years after his death. It's sad that we lost him, but Nirvana left behind some truely great music to keep the memory alive and remind us of the good parts of his life. RIP Kurt. xxx

Darth Revan
thumb up

BadBabe
i love nirvana
on kwod (sacto radio station) there having a memorial thing on monday happy

Jeff_Atello
Kurt was murdered...but I think we all know that. Today is the 10th anniversary.......

BadBabe
he commited sucide dude he's been sucidal all his fu.cking life courtney MAY have perticapated in the suicde tho .... like a second sorta what you use in hari kari or whatever but yeah look at his past he had a fuct up past too

Jeff_Atello
So what? How the hell could he honestly pull the trigger of a shotgun with his toe when he is wearing shoes? And he had taken 4 times the amount of Heroin that would kill a normal man. Too many things don't add up. The end of the suicide note wasn't even written in his handwriting!

BadBabe
blink it wasnt

BadBabe
here

burlyman
Courtney killed him shifty

BadBabe
you think so

im pretty sure he killed himself

big gay kirk
While never a big Nirvana fan, I liked Kurt's cover of "The Man who Sold the World..." Too many musicians end up prematurely dead....

Jeff_Atello
You'll be proven wrong one day. Go to www.thesmokinggun.com and you'll see what I mean.

Courtney didn't kill him...she hired somebody.

BackFire
I'm pretty sure he killed himself. I can't really blame him being married to courtney.

incuhead1024
i've read a lot of info online and i think that he didn't kill himself, and courtney didn't exactly kill him, but she had something to do with it. he wasn't all that suicidal, he just didn't like all the attention he got with his music. there's also something that shows the difference in the handwriting in the letter he wrote before he died. the whole entire top part of it has nothing to do with suicide, then on the bottom, which has been proven to be different handwriting, starts with something suicidal. he had so much heroine in his system that police say he couldn't even blink an eye, let alone pick up a gun and shoot himself.. when there were absolutely no fingerprints on the gun. how is that possible? it's not. therefore i think courtney had a lot to do with it... and i think people are just starting to realize it. she's crazy!

slashwristbarbi
Whilst I realize this issue is important to a lot of people, will everyone please just stop arguing about 'who killed Kurt?'. This thread is meant to be a memorium to Kurt Cobain, for people to leave messages about him and his music and to remember him for the good things, not have pointless arguments that aren't going to get anywhere. If you want to have a debate about 'who killer kurt' or 'lets kill courtney', please start another thread for it. It would be nice if for once we could have a thread about Kurt and Nirvana's music without this old argument springing up.

Kurt RIP xxx

Be@st
KURT COBAIN RULES!!! I like Nirvana; Kurt Cobain was a really good artist; and it's sad he died; I wish britney spears died instead of him.

boxofdeath2.0
Was Kurt Cobain really as good as everyone gives him credit for? I mean, Nirvana only put out 3 albums. The last 2 were good (Nevermind is classic IMO), but has anyone ever heard their first album? Of course not, its complete and utter shite. I'll agree he was a good musician, but the only reason he reached icon status is because of his premature exit from the music scene. Just because he died doesn't make him great.

ElectricBugaloo
he was conisdered the greatest artist of his time before his death

boxofdeath2.0
by who?

ElectricBugaloo
by the critics and the fans

boxofdeath2.0
you have any sources or anything like that for your argument?

the point i'm trying to make is...lets say i go and play quarterback in the nfl. my rookie season i'm terrible, i'm lucky to ever see the field, and when i do i just throw interceptions right and left. my second season, i have an amazing season and lead my team to the super bowl. in my third season, i have a pretty good year, but my team loses in the second round of the playoffs. in the following off-season, my leg falls off and i never play football again. does that one great season and one good season make me one of the best football players of all time?

ElectricBugaloo
music is a lot different than football. you only need one album that is great to be considered great.

Be@st
And you said that their FIRST album sucked; it means that they become better so I think that Kurt deserves to be a legend; but I also agree that he got a lot of fans because of his death but that doesn't make him any worse; to me he will always be a legend.

BadBabe
WHAT THJERE FIRST ALBUM KICKED ASS

ElectricBugaloo
i did'nt like Bleach all that much

Polly
Nirvana is the BEST F-ING BAND EVER!!!! My name is after my favorite song in the whole wide world: POLLY! Best song!

Be@st

Polly
I like Pennyroyal Tea and The Man who Sold the World also Dumb. and heart-Shaped Box, hell i like em all!! except Sliver.. i don't like Sliver at all

boxofdeath2.0
says who? who defines the line between good and great?

creed had one great album, does that make them great?

ElectricBugaloo
creed never had a great album. ever.

boxofdeath2.0
i don't understand your reasoning. one third of their albums sucked, so that makes him a legend?

boxofdeath2.0
You may not like them, but four #1 singles off of one album is hard to argue with.

ElectricBugaloo
oh, i guess n sync had soem great albums

and the sex pistols never had a great album (they only had one album, i know)

or the ramones

the clash only had 1 #1 hit.

Rage against the machine never did.

the #1 argument is dumb. just because you have a popular song doens't make it good.

total metalhead
yeah but that really shouldnt be the case. Plenty of bands have made a great cd, then gone and made a load of shit. A band shouldn't be judged solely on their best material, especially if they've written a higher percentage of shit. A band should only be considered truly great in my opinion if they've made at least 3 great albums, and haven't slipped up and made anything truly bad.

thats why bands like Nirvana (only one great album, others were average) arent great, while other, lesser known bands like In Flames (4 great albums) are undeniably great. but it really all comes down to how harshly you judge music i suppose.

ElectricBugaloo
Nirvana had 2 great albums. Nevermind was earth shaking (for everyone outside of Seattle), and In Utero was at the same level, and many will argue better. However, you aren't accounting for the social relevance. No one can deny the social importance of Nevermind.

total metalhead
ive never really brought myself to love Nevermind like evrybody else, and social relevance shouldnt count anyway, because if it did we be worshipping pop idols like Christina Aguilera and N*Sync who consistently sell millions of albums world wide and infect the younger generations. but still you are very right, Nevermind was arguably the most important record of the decade, but musically, it wasnt all that. Lithium, Come As You Are and Drain You are masterpieces, but apart from those there isnt a lot going on.

In Utero ive always thought of as their best. Its gripping from start to finish and once you hear it once its locked into your mind forever. Thats a true classic. Nevermind just wasnt subtle enough (with the exception of the afore mentioned songs).

StinkFist462
yes
but i did like Bleach more than Nevermind ..

Jeff_Atello
Bleach is their best album ever. I liked Nevermind, but In Utero was better, and Incesticide is great as well. What the hell are you talking about, Boxofdeath? While he wasn't a great guitarist, he was a good lyricist and he had a passion for his music that was genuine.

Jeff_Atello
Aerosmith is, by definition, a "1-Hit Wonder" do they suck? No, it's just that they have only had one number 1 hit.

Nevermind the Bollocks is f*ckin' great. What the hell are you talking about? Most punk artists, and even some metal artists put that album in their top-5.

boxofdeath2.0
I never said he didnt have a passion for music. Was he really that good of a lyricist tho? No, but his voice sure is catchy.

What the hell I'm talking about is this: I think many people over rate Kurt Cobain just because he died suddenly in the "prime" of his music career. People like him more on what he could have been than on what he really was. He never achieved this icon status or garnered this cult following until after his death. I just think people give him entirely too much credit, he only put out 3 albums, 1 of which was terrible.

total metalhead
yep. no matter how much Nirvana fans protest, they can't get away from the fact that Kurt's death bolstered Nirvana's status no end. It's happened before many times. In fact im willing to bet that even Elvis wouldn't be as massive if he was still around today.

Jeff_Atello
Yes, but who's to say that when he quit Nirvana they wouldn't have gotten that fame? There are plenty of artists who become famous after their death, in music or not. You cannot deny the inspiration they have given to a lot of the bands around now, though. Most of the rock/punk bands of today will credit Nirvana with getting them involved in the grunge/rock/punk scene, and will name Nirvana as one of the most influential bands to them, and rightfully so. It doesn't matter how they got famous or why. All that matters is that they were here and they will be remebered for being so influential.

BarmyBrummie
R.I.P kurt rock

Smells like teen spirit was voted number 1 video by Kerrang! magazine.

Jeff_Atello
I hate that song. It's good, but it gets undue respect. All it did was open the mainstream to grunge.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.