The Truth on Gladiator

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

savagerampage
I always thought of gladiator, as nothing more then a chessy superman rip off. Now what i would like to know is i hear all this talk about gladiator performing all these amazing things, has anyone actually ever seen it? If so what issues do these take place. i know he uprooted the baxter building, in ff. But every other thing i heard is self boasted, meaning he says he can do it, but he could be lying, unless people have read issues, that he has done them.

can anyone clarify this?

whirlysplat
Yup your rightsmile
The Hyperion/Galactus bit is the same, he states he killed Galactus but then he is shown to be a lying madman. He does beat up a lot of heroes including the Hulk and Thor though.

Gladiator and Hyperion = Supes wannabes

kgkg
He is a pre crisis rip off.

- Has fought at 100X light speed.
- Has move large earth size Asteroids
- Interstellar traveler

He does talk lot of shit like he can rip stars etc. but he has shown he is more of a pre crisis rip off.

savagerampage
Thats what i mean. People argue on here that he can rip stars in half and all this crap, but has anyone actually seen the issues that he has done this in?

whirlysplat
Originally posted by savagerampage
Thats what i mean. People argue on here that he can rip stars in half and all this crap, but has anyone actually seen the issues that he has done this in?

Nope its all bollocks.

Sentry is the new Marvel Supes clone to have unsubstantiated claims attributed to him big grin

kgkg
Gladiator at his prime is ill

Unfortunately he is written like a moron, and luck is never with him.

Draco69
I have the power of TEN THOUSAND SUNS!!!!! My powers are LIMITLESS!!!!! I can do ANYTHING!!!!!!!

but I can't bring my wife back to life. roll eyes (sarcastic)

savagerampage
so basically anyone who argued on the sake of cheeseiator, about him ripping stars in half etc, those are invalid points.

the only things ive seen gladiator do was lift the baxter building, and fly at superspeed other than that, the rest of the things he says he can do is all bullshit

whirlysplat
so basically anyone who argued on the sake of cheeseiator, about him ripping stars in half etc, those are invalid points.

the only things ive seen gladiator do was lift the baxter building, and fly at superspeed other than that, the rest of the things he says he can do is all bullshit

You think so????? wink could be stick out tongue

whirlysplat
Originally posted by Draco69
I have the power of TEN THOUSAND SUNS!!!!! My powers are LIMITLESS!!!!! I can do ANYTHING!!!!!!!

but I can't bring my wife back to life. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Drac you are so rightbig grin

K Von Doom
It seems logistically impossible to rip a star in half anyway. How would you hold it?!

leonidas
<<He does beat up a lot of heroes including the Hulk and Thor though>>

?????

i thought he and hulk only met the one time? and in THAT battle, glads hardly 'beat him up'. hulk left him laying. and glads was finished BEFORE the whole radiation bit. hulk crippled him by blocking his laser vision. blind, and in agony, i think hulk could simply have beaten him to death after that, but, that hulk being a bit sadistic, chose to inflict even MORE pain.

as for thor - if masterson-thor beat glads unconscious (yes he used living lightning - real thor would have summoned REAL lightning) i have no doubt the real thor could/would do likewise. and yes, it is true i've never liked glads - always thought he was a cheap ripoff - but damn, at least when hercules boasts he's FUNNY about it!

whirlysplat
Originally posted by K Von Doom
It seems logistically impossible to rip a star in half anyway. How would you hold it?!

Its so true stick out tongue

snoopdogg
I was reading a thread and I dont recall which one but it said that Gladiator can move at 100x the speed of light while fighting. Is this true or just some folklore?

Scoobless
Originally posted by K Von Doom

at least he never claimed to have closed a black hole....... like Majestic apparently did

p.s. Majestic is also said to have split a star in half....... though he supposedly used magic to do it

who?-kid
I don't know why Gladiator is supposed to be some kind of Superman-clone.

Sure he's strong and fast (who isn't in comic-country), but so what ?
There are similarities, I admit, but I wouldn't consider him a Superman ripoff. He has a whole other personality- Gladiator can sometimes be mean, has a mohawk and serves an alien empire - and there are tons of people with Superman-like (or so) powers.

Btw, Gladiator SHOULD be awesome, but he's underrated, even by some writers.

whirlysplat
Originally posted by who?-kid
I don't know why Gladiator is supposed to be some kind of Superman-clone.

Sure he's strong and fast (who isn't in comic-country), but so what ?
There are similarities, I admit, but I wouldn't consider him a Superman ripoff. He has a whole other personality- Gladiator can sometimes be mean, has a mohawk and serves an alien empire - and there are tons of people with Superman-like (or so) powers.

Btw, Gladiator SHOULD be awesome, but he's underrated, even by some writers.

Thats the thing about clones you can have lots of them.
Of course enviroment plays its part with the identical. roll eyes (sarcastic)

brainchild81
I do find it funny that his real name sounds like Clark. He is very similar in terms of powers to Superman, but that's where it ends. Gladiator's "I'm better than you" boastful attitude makes him far more interesting that Supes will ever be IMO. And since he doesn't have a secret identity(to my knowledge), he doesn't do that stupid glasses thing Superman does. Superman came out in a time when people didn't have other superheroes to compare him with so he's famous & gets away with being bland. Gladiator is not anywhere near as cheesy as Supes. Gladiator>Superman

brainchild81
I always thought of gladiator, as nothing more then a chessy superman rip off I do find it funny that his real name sounds like Clark. He is very similar in terms of powers to Superman, but that's where it ends. Gladiator's "I'm better than you" boastful attitude makes him far more interesting than Supes will ever be IMO. And since he doesn't have a secret identity(to my knowledge), he doesn't do that stupid glasses thing Superman does. Superman came out in a time when people didn't have other superheroes to compare him with so he's famous & gets away with being bland. Gladiator is not anywhere near as cheesy as Supes. Gladiator>Superman. Ever wonder why everybody(many creators) wanna see Bats beat the s**t outta Supes even though Supes is way more powerful? It pretty simple. Batman,Spider-Man & any other famous character > Supes. Dissing Glads isn't gonna make Supes look cool.

Tony Stark
Originally posted by leonidas
<<He does beat up a lot of heroes including the Hulk and Thor though>>

?????

i thought he and hulk only met the one time? and in THAT battle, glads hardly 'beat him up'. hulk left him laying. and glads was finished BEFORE the whole radiation bit. hulk crippled him by blocking his laser vision. blind, and in agony, i think hulk could simply have beaten him to death after that, but, that hulk being a bit sadistic, chose to inflict even MORE pain.

as for thor - if masterson-thor beat glads unconscious (yes he used living lightning - real thor would have summoned REAL lightning) i have no doubt the real thor could/would do likewise. and yes, it is true i've never liked glads - always thought he was a cheap ripoff - but damn, at least when hercules boasts he's FUNNY about it!

When HULK fought Glads it was right after superman beat The HULK in their crossover, to make HULK look better they had him win pretty darn easily.

Gladiator beat THOR without much problem and without the help of THOR-girl he was done for sure.

Gladiator actually IMO is a pretty good character, but he is the ultimate in getting F#*ked by the worst writing in marvel. It's like they can't make up their minds on what they want to do with him.

I've always liked him. cool

Scoobless
Originally posted by Tony Stark
Gladiator beat THOR without much problem and without the help of THOR-girl he was done for sure.

Gladiator only came remotely close to beating Thor because Thor was going through one of the "lose the hammer for 60 seconds and your only human" phases.... if it was regular (no human weakness) Thor, then he would have got his a$$ handed to him....... like he does at the end when Thor gets his hammer back

leonidas
<<Gladiator only came remotely close to beating Thor because Thor was going through one of the "lose the hammer for 60 seconds and your only human" phases.... if it was regular (no human weakness) Thor, then he would have got his a$$ handed to him....... like he does at the end when Thor gets his hammer back>>

thanks scoobs. actually saved me from bringing it up a point that has been mentioned over and over again in various threads.

<<When HULK fought Glads it was right after superman beat The HULK in their crossover, to make HULK look better they had him win pretty darn easily.>>

???

you can't really think the writers at marvel decided to have hulk win the fight just because he lost the cross-over voting to supes. what is this, a conspiracy against glads?? glads lost because . . . well, because he was fighting the frickin' hulk, one of the strongest (the strongest?) characters in the entire HISTORY of comics! hulk has history, has fought and defeated tons upon tons of -- ahhh, forget it. like i need to list the hulk's accomplishments. the original post said glads beat up the hulk. he did not. that was the point of my rebuttal. you like glads, that's cool. i'm not a big fan, but i do know he's tough. just don't want everyone making something of him that he's not. (ie - he is not able to 'beat up' hulk or thor. fight them? give a good showing? sure. beat them up?? er, no.)

Wynndar
If u want to see Gladiator show off, check out his appearances in Fantastic Four. Gladiator's fight with Eric Masterson is irrelavant to whether or not he can beat Thor. Gladiator and Thor have fought in Fantastic Four. They may have fought again but I havent read it. Ive also seen another comic posted on here that showed Gladiator destroy a planet in 3 blows, this was back in the day when he had first emerged, before they constantly made him look like an idiot. He far outclasses Superman. Originally, when he could still be taken seriously, he would have probably beat the Hulk and Thor. Hulk's come up since then while Gladiators been steadily declining.

supermanprime
i find it funny that supes has to be cheesy because he is the original hero for most people.Why? is that. what makes gladiator a much more interesting character because he talks a lot of shit and can not back it up. How can i respect a character who when his confidence is low because another fighter takes one of his strongest punches. He sucks because he doesnot have enough balls to contine to fight when the going gets tough, what a *****. Silver surfer is my favorite character but he is as much a pacifist as supes but is he cheesy?? No what is up with the hatred of supes i read about all the time on chat boards. no wonder i stopped readin marvel

manjaro
this doesnt look like bullshit to me wink

whirlysplat
Originally posted by manjaro
this doesnt look like bullshit to me wink

roll eyes (sarcastic) Oh I don' know roll eyes (sarcastic)

Beyonder
Originally posted by whirlysplat
roll eyes (sarcastic) Oh I don' know roll eyes (sarcastic)

Yup, how can that compared to heatvision deflecting the Omega Effect. roll eyes (sarcastic) Now that's doesn't seem like bullshiting. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well, they did. Marvel used Gladiator to show that Hulk can beat Superman.

Gladiator fought like an idiot in that book, and then Hulk pulls out of his ass a, "oh so your weak to certain kinds of radiation are you?" How Hulk even knows is beyond me. And then he drags Gladiator and drops him into a nuclear reactor, which happened to have the "certain kind of radiation" that Gladiator is weak too. roll eyes (sarcastic)

brainchild81
Originally posted by supermanprime
i find it funny that supes has to be cheesy because he is the original hero for most people.Why? is that. what makes gladiator a much more interesting character because he talks a lot of shit and can not back it up. How can i respect a character who when his confidence is low because another fighter takes one of his strongest punches. He sucks because he doesnot have enough balls to contine to fight when the going gets tough, what a *****. Silver surfer is my favorite character but he is as much a pacifist as supes but is he cheesy?? No what is up with the hatred of supes i read about all the time on chat boards. no wonder i stopped readin marvel You stopped reading Marvel because of Superman hate on message boards?

Beyonder
Originally posted by brainchild81
You stopped reading Marvel because of Superman hate on message boards?

laughing Superman sucks. DC sucks. Go MARVEL.

kgkg

snoopdogg
Originally posted by Beyonder
laughing Superman sucks. DC sucks. Go MARVEL. Thats mature Happy Dance

brainchild81
He's right about the 1st part. The 2nd part is debatable. DC does have some ultra cheesy characters, & the 3rd part is cool.

long pig
Me too kgkg, Gladiator and my man Champ are written like fools.

kgkg
Originally posted by long pig
Me too kgkg, Gladiator and my man Champ are written like fools.
yes man did you see what drax did to champ lol

leonidas
<<Well, they did. Marvel used Gladiator to show that Hulk can beat Superman.>>

really? i'd love to know how you know this with such certainty. and if that WAS the case, i for one missed the message because beating glads (some cheap, knock-off supes) is NOTHING like beating the real thing. c'mon . . .

brainchild81
You're right only because Glads ain't as boring and lame as Supes. Glads does have an edge to him that @ least makes him interesting.

Beyonder
<<Well, they did. Marvel used Gladiator to show that Hulk can beat Superman.>>

really? i'd love to know how you know this with such certainty. and if that WAS the case, i for one missed the message because beating glads (some cheap, knock-off supes) is NOTHING like beating the real thing. c'mon . . .

The real thing? Way to argue. Being the "real" thing makes him so above Gladiator. roll eyes (sarcastic) Guess Thanos didn't get the memo, and Darkseid didn't read the contract.

Certainty? Gladiator smashed Thing throw a bunch of cars in one blow and broke threw Sue's force field. Thing's hang with Hulk before, but Kallark owned the hell out of him.

Hell, Gladiator used only heatvision, flight, and strength. I don't even recall him pulling speedblitz or icebreath on Hulk. The whole fight was one sided. If it wasn't, tell me how Hulk knew Gladiator was weak to certain radiations? I mean with a line like, "Oh, so your weak to certain kinds of radiations are you?" What the hell is that? Hulk can mind read now? Please.

Wynndar
Im not sure because I havent actually read that issue of Hulk anual, just seen the parts posted on here. But i have a feeling that Hulk was briefed on Gladiator's powers by Rick Jones' grand-daughter, specifically, his weakness to radiation. Regardless, formerly being with the Pantheon, the Hulk probably has a pretty thorough knowledge of tons of people he's never fought.

whirlysplat
Originally posted by Beyonder
Yup, how can that compared to heatvision deflecting the Omega Effect. roll eyes (sarcastic) Now that's doesn't seem like bullshiting. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well, they did. Marvel used Gladiator to show that Hulk can beat Superman.

Gladiator fought like an idiot in that book, and then Hulk pulls out of his ass a, "oh so your weak to certain kinds of radiation are you?" How Hulk even knows is beyond me. And then he drags Gladiator and drops him into a nuclear reactor, which happened to have the "certain kind of radiation" that Gladiator is weak too. roll eyes (sarcastic)

roll eyes (sarcastic) Gladiator = idiot = good point roll eyes (sarcastic)

brainchild81
He knows that underoos don't go on the ouside thoughsmile

brainchild81
And he's not into the same things Superman is. Relax. The Gladiator bashing must stop! sad

OFFENSIVE ATTACHMENT REMOVED

leonidas
<<I mean with a line like, "Oh, so your weak to certain kinds of radiations are you?" What the hell is that? Hulk can mind read now? Please.>>

hulk came to the conclusion because gladiator's own vision hurt him! and the vision is radiation. and because hulk with the mind of banner is VERY smart. i don't hink he needed to read anyone's mind to figure that out. in fact, i thought it came across quite clearly - to most.

i've said it before - you obviously are hacked off because hulk (and many others including supreme) smacked glads around. whatever. just don't be crying ridiculous conspiracy theories that you have no possible way of backing up. claim poor writing or something, or the evolution of characters. glads is tough, just don't be making of him something he's not. i said it before - he doens't just beat up hulk and thor. THAT, again, was the initial point of my post.

and i'm afraid that if someone beat supes, and someone beat glads, the one they'd be bragging about would be beating supes - because like it or not, there is nothing like beating the 'real' thing

manjaro
the pic is just hella funny

Tony Stark
<<I mean with a line like, "Oh, so your weak to certain kinds of radiations are you?" What the hell is that? Hulk can mind read now? Please.>>

hulk came to the conclusion because gladiator's own vision hurt him! and the vision is radiation. and because hulk with the mind of banner is VERY smart. i don't hink he needed to read anyone's mind to figure that out. in fact, i thought it came across quite clearly - to most.

Eh... You have heat vision that hurts, which is made of some sort of radiation. So you must be ill effected by some sort of radiation.
Lets try this one... Yea! I was right. what luck. I win.

leonidas
<<Eh... You have heat vision that hurts, which is made of some sort of radiation. So you must be ill effected by some sort of radiation.
Lets try this one... Yea! I was right. what luck. I win.>>

pretty much apparently. hey, i never said it was the BEST explanation, or the best writing . . .

not that it mattered in any event - glads was already finished in that battle against the hulk. hulk didn't have to dip him in the nuclear reactor. glads was blind and in agony. hulk could simply have kept hitting him and hitting him. i don't get the problem here. glads got beat by the hulk. MOST DO! he smashed onslaught's invincible armor, for goodness' sakes, has crushed thor in a battle where thor didn't have his hammer. hulk doesn't lose often. unless it comes down a voting of course, or popularity contests . . .

whirlysplat
<<Eh... You have heat vision that hurts, which is made of some sort of radiation. So you must be ill effected by some sort of radiation.
Lets try this one... Yea! I was right. what luck. I win.>>

pretty much apparently. hey, i never said it was the BEST explanation, or the best writing . . .

not that it mattered in any event - glads was already finished in that battle against the hulk. hulk didn't have to dip him in the nuclear reactor. glads was blind and in agony. hulk could simply have kept hitting him and hitting him. i don't get the problem here. glads got beat by the hulk. MOST DO! he smashed onslaught's invincible armor, for goodness' sakes, has crushed thor in a battle where thor didn't have his hammer. hulk doesn't lose often. unless it comes down a voting of course, or popularity contests . . .

roll eyes (sarcastic) So let me get this straight every defeat Gladiaotr has is due to bad writing confused Now I get it confused roll eyes (sarcastic)

leonidas
<<So let me get this straight every defeat Gladiaotr has is due to bad writing Now I get it>>

thank you. my point exactly. smile

whirlysplat
<<So let me get this straight every defeat Gladiaotr has is due to bad writing Now I get it>>

thank you. my point exactly. smile

roll eyes (sarcastic)

manjaro
hey where did the pic go?

The Flash
Paola editted it out.

whirlysplat
I think this thread gives us the truth about Gladiator:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=338321&highlight=Gay+Supermen

laughing bite me fanboy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.