Reality TV: Love It or Hate It?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
I HATE Reality TV. There's no more dramas or comedies anymore! Nothing but reality shows! IT SHOULD BE BANNED!! mad

Afro Cheese
They suck for the most part.. but then again so do most sitcoms.

BackFire
Reality TV is the worst type of TV in the world. Period.

maya159
Totally Sucks!!!

Alpha Centauri
I think the most ironic thing is, it's not reality.

-AC

jaden101
i like a couple of "reality" shows...the contender i suppose could be classed as such....the other one i like is SAS: are you tough enough...mostly cause Eddie Stone is a total legend

Lana
I despise so-called reality TV. Destroy it all, I say.

KidRock
Some shows are good. I like The Contender, and The Ultimate Fighter(on spike). Thats about it.

Alpha Centauri
I don't understand why people crave reality and to fix their need, they watch TV shows.

Walk out your door, it's as real as you'll get for the most part.

-AC

Lana
Exactly. The phrase 'reality TV' is an oxymoron.

Capt_Fantastic
Reality TV is an oxymoron. There is no such thing as reality TV. Documentaries about ants in the rain forests or security camera footage from a shopping mall is the only reality tv I've ever seen. Gameshows on a desert island or a beauty pagent for peoples voices are not reality tv.

Capt_Fantastic
damn, now we have to use the word redundant.

Draco69
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I don't understand why people crave reality and to fix their need, they watch TV shows.

Walk out your door, it's as real as you'll get for the most part.

-AC

Yeah. Internet message boards are better.

§pearhead
Everyone I know claims they hate it.

So why do they do so well?

Draco69
I have no idea. It's a goddamn mystery.

KidRock

Lana
Because there are more people who watch that shit than those who don't like it.

Next Venom_girl
Reality TV-- what morons do for fun.

cindy8219
I like reality tv. I just it amusing how people would go to such lengths to be on television.

sexylexy32
Reality TV is the most dumb thing on television these days. Drama is a whole lot more interesting .....

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by cindy8219
I like reality tv. I just it amusing how people would go to such lengths to be on television.

That's actually the part that really bothers me about it. I almost feel embarassed for them.

cindy8219
Don't feel embarassed for them. they wanted to be on television so they get to pretty humiliate themselves for it. It's sad, but people will continue to do so.

botankus
I've got enough trouble keeping track of my own life, yet alone a group of 10 losers in a adobe hut.

leonheartmm
if any1 doesnt know, most of whats called reality tv these days is actually just a staged drama made exclusively to make people THINK that its REALITY or real, the fact is that most of it is orchestrated, n very badly.

Mainstream
Cheaters and Fear factor..other than that hate the others.

Joey: hi I'm Joey Greco with Cheaters.. (guy pulls up his pants in his car.)

Man: what the..what the f**K?

Girlfriend: YOU TOLD ME YOU WEREN'T CHEATING ON ME!

woman: who is this?

Girlfriend: nah B*tch who are you?

Man: baby baby I can explain. ( 20 seconds of slience )

Joey: well american is waiting explain!

leonheartmm
well if any1 considers jackass, viva labam and wild boyz reality shows, then i love those 1s.

zaapy
i really hate reality TV i cant look at it.
i think they would take it away!

ChickinMeat
man, i hated TV long before the age of reality TV, poor programming i said,. Then the reality TV age came along, my good, i couldnt think programming could get any worse!

as billy connely said, "whats up with that reality TV? its people, sitting in a house, watching people sitting in a house?!?"

silver_tears
I hate reality t.v always have always will, every single one. I hated it from the start, from the very first survivor, it just takes u[p precious air space roll eyes (sarcastic)

eleveninches
I HATE REALITY TV.

botankus
Some of the shows are less appealing than a documentary showing me cutting my lawn.

ChickinMeat
man, what time is that on, ill have to tape it!

botankus
During sweeps week we will focus on edging the driveway.

ChickinMeat
my god that is nigh on unmissable!

Dudester
well, I have to say that I really like reality tv shows-- i really think that it is entertaining-- my opinion

Julie
I never bothered to watch it

BackFire
Reality TV is to television, what AIDS is to mankind

DracotheDragon
Reality TV isn't all that real, they still have a script! How "real" is that? I hate it.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by BackFire

Yeah, some gay man had sex with a monkey in Africa and they named the baby reality TV.

Zebra 3
I hate them all except for American and Canadian Idiol.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Zebra 3
I hate them all except for American and Canadian Idiol.

What is the appeal of those shows to you? I'm not trying to mock you, I just wonder what it is about American Idol that send people into a tizzy.

Draco69
I only like Kelly Clarkson Her rock song "Since You Been Gone" is something else!

Everyone else can rot in hell.

Curl_Up&Dye
I HATE IT

knight
As a wise man once said...

"People Are Sitting In A House, Watching People Sitting In A House"...

"The IQ Level Is Plummeting"...

"I Think It's Time To Trim The Herd"...

Imaginary
Gut it with a spork, I say.

Clovie
i don't watch it so i can't tell anything really.
though i agree that there is too much of it.

Silver_Blaze
Two words.... HATE IT >=(

epro
I can't stand it! My mom watches every reality show on telivion, I SWEAR! It's ridiculous...

Zebra 3
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
What is the appeal of those shows to you? I'm not trying to mock you, I just wonder what it is about American Idol that send people into a tizzy. I watch AI 'cause I got the music in me...

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Draco69
I only like Kelly Clarkson Her rock song "Since You Been Gone" is something else!

Kelly Clarkson has never written or performed a Rock song.

Manufactured Pop with guitars is still manufactured Pop.

-AC

nutella-spatz
I hate them too. The weird part is, many people claim to hate it, because they know it'S just sad to watch this, as if they don't have an own life, but still secretly do it. messed

I for myself can say, I don't watch it, I hate it and I think it is a waste of my time. yes

Bardock42
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Kelly Clarkson has never written or performed a Rock song.

Manufactured Pop with guitars is still manufactured Pop.

-AC

Haha...good point

As for reality shows...I don't think I watch any, but hate ...no I can't say I hate them...I watched German Idol once or twice and Popstars, but more to see the stupidity of some of the people there. Hmm except for that, well every one should watch what they want.

knight
Originally posted by Imaginary
Gut it with a spork, I say.

Billy Connolly

botankus

laughing out loud at that!

Jedi_KnightAlly
Originally posted by BackFire

laughing

I've never been arsed to watch it, never been intrested in z-list celebritys or unknown prats who will do anything to get shown on tv.

KharmaDog
As stated in other threads, I'm not a huge watcher of t.v. nevermind reality shows. However, as I used to box, a friend told me to watch an episode of "the contender". The cast was made up of mostly decent guys who did not try to deceive eachother but who each wanted to "earn" their wins.

I did, and I actually enjoyed it. Recently I heard that it wasn't picked up for a second season. A t.v. critic (funny enough that I heard on the radio) gave his reasons why he thought people didn't like the show although it had a great storyline, likable characters and good production values. His reasons were:

- that most of the characters were too likable and that there were not enough people who viewers could hate.

-there wasn't enough intrigue or deception

-in the end viewers would watch a fight between two characters that they may like. Unfortunately one guy has to lose, and since these are sanctioned fights, one more loss might "actually" affect the loser's career in a negative way (or end it).

So basically he was saying that reality only works if the masses can dislike or feel superior to most of the characters, watch morally questionable activity, and that the reality in th show isn't "too real".

The Biker Scout
Love it...although I wish they would do a reality CSI the show is awesome but too "Hollywood"

BasketCase
Actually I am a big fan of Reality TV, I love it.

smoker4
Still hating it, British tele has gone OTT on it but at least a backlaash is starting, unfortunatley Big Brother starts soon, time to get another job methinks

stingray005
I like some reality TV shows like American Idol and Survivor. But I hate alot of other ones like the Bachelor and stuff.

dark1365
I don't like RT.

Except for Fear Factor, and American Idol.

vagaryatwill
There are a few reality shows I'll watch, but the majority of them are terrible.

Mainstream
I like fear factor and cheaters and that's about it.

Fëanor
I HATE Reality TV. There's no more dramas or comedies anymore! Nothing but reality shows! IT SHOULD BE BANNED!! mad reality TV is reflective of how far society has come in the first part of the 21st century...slowly but most certainly we've become moronic

Capt_Fantastic

Fëanor
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
slowly? You think so? I've noticed it all happening in the last 20 years or so. Not that I was around, but I paid for my text books too. unfortunately for me i was asleep during class....oh, hold on *takes another toke* smokin'

yeah...what was the question again?

Capt_Fantastic

Fëanor
*passes to capt.*

makes watching reality TV that much more bearable....

Imperial_Samura
I can't stand reality TV, I mean, talk about beating a dead horse, how many survivors can there be? Granted the first amazing race was interesting, but now their up to like 8, will it never end!!!??? And don't get me started on Big Brother, blech, "social cross section" my foot, I can find those kind of specimens passed out down at the local pub any night of the week. Orwell would be spinning in his grave.

botankus
Somebody's got to be lying. All of you hate reality TV? If that's the case, why are the shows so popular?

...psst! Because nobody wants to admit that they're tools by being sucked into nonsense involving non-celebs they'll never meet!

Swanky-Tuna
Upon remembering how many reality shows I watched... I guess I like it. I don't like many of them but I loved Ultimate Fighter, Last Comic Standing, Tough Enough, and Surreal Life. Mainly shows I can laugh at or see somebody get beat up. Although, after the Holly beating I haven't watched Tough Enough at all.

I don't consider Fear Factor a reality show though. It's just like Iron Chef, MXC, or ye olde Double Dare except with occasional bug and junk eatting.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by botankus
Somebody's got to be lying. All of you hate reality TV? If that's the case, why are the shows so popular?

...psst! Because nobody wants to admit that they're tools by being sucked into nonsense involving non-celebs they'll never meet!

I can't speak for others, but this statement does not apply to me. I have never watched any reality TV. Well, I did watch Real World New Orleans...I had the major hots for Danny. But, that really is the only show of the genra that I ever watched. Otherwise, I only watch documentaries or cable. I can't deal with commercials.

whirlysplat
All those who produce it are in it or want to be in it for their "15 minutes of fame" are sad and shallow. I think I've made my point that I hate it sadlaughingOriginally posted by Draco69
I HATE Reality TV. There's no more dramas or comedies anymore! Nothing but reality shows! IT SHOULD BE BANNED!! mad

Trickster
Originally posted by The Biker Scout
Love it...although I wish they would do a reality CSI the show is awesome but too "Hollywood"

Wait... How would that even work?

You are aware most cases are not at all like the ones on the show? In fact... No, I can't be bothered.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.