Revenge of the Sith, Box Office predictions?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Leog14
How much money do you think Revenge of the Sith will make its first weekend. It comes out on the 19th which is a Thursday but that won't stop it from making money. So how much money do you think it will make the 4 day weekend. I predict a beautiful 85,000,000 to 95,000,000. It's gonna be a sweep.

macgeek2005
I say 100,000,000

StinkFist462
first day ? or over time ?

jedi2187
It'll break even before the opening weekend is up.

StinkFist462
it will break records opening weekend .

Falacerjedi
I will go with the $95 million mark, it'll get close to $100 for opening weekend but probably just miss it...over the course of the summer I say it will for sure break $300 million and probably be in the top2 by years end for top grossing movies.

theshakl
yeah i think it will break opening weekend records..then people will start recommending it..and it will still gain money..yeap

moviejunkie23
i agree with theshak, i think a few people will have thier doubts but then hear from the people who did go how great it was and go anyway.

ArynCrinn
If only it could beat Titanic's record of 1,800,000,000 or whetever it was.

Jedi Priestess
Never happen unfortunately as Titantic was a massive chick flick and those do better than Sci-Fi generally.

tlbauerle
I even have my doubts that EpIII will beat down TPM record. Hopefully people will wander back to the theatre over and over instead of finding a sh!tty bootleg.

I'm expecting a huge openning weekend...but record breaker...I dunno.

I don't think anything will topple Titanic...it's just a fluke...one of those things no one understands.

J-Unit
I dont think it will beat up the TPM Box Office because It was so much people who hated the first Episode...and these kind of things will make the Box office of Episode III lower

ccoo
I think it may not break any records the first weekend, because alot of the prequel bashers who hated 1 & 2 are going to wait for word of mouth to see this flick. In the long-run after everyone realizes this is the movie they were waiting for, they will then come to the theater.

So I definitely think it will do more than AOTC, at 300 million. But I dont know if it will beat TPM at 431 million. Remember because of the PG-13, you'll lose some little kids, but will gain that back with OT fans. I predict 375-400 million, just beating Return of the King.

ArynCrinn
well...hopefully it will break the 1,000,000,000 mark like Return of the King

Leog14
Everyone knows about bootlegers and dvd quality DL on P2P's but hopefully this won't get in the way of the movie making a 95 mil(fingers crossed) and total even more than the Episode I and be the number 3 top movie of all time, and take Shrek 2 out of the way and put it next to the original Star Wars. It would be a great ending for the Saga.

HAROLD
Opening weekend: $100,000,000.

Overall domestically: $350,000,000.

Superherovandal
I would say about 50-90 million on first weekendstarwars

smoker4
At last a thread for accountants smokin'

zavin
i'd say......50 or 60 million on first day, and more than 100 on weekend

HAROLD
No. Maybe 40-45 on first day, and around 100 for first weekend.

Boris
I'd say better than both TPM and AOTC, It's the very last Star Wars movie, I know people who hate the series but are just going for that very reason.

Luetchyboy
May I ask, why do you care how much it makes in the first weekend or whatever (not to the people merely guessing how much it will make to the people hoping it makes more than insert movie here). It's not like we will see any of it or that GL needs any of it. I am more concerned as to whether it will be good or not.

Leog14
Just a box office fan, no harm in that, jeez.

astrofan428
Originally posted by Leog14
Just a box office fan, no harm in that, jeez.

Yeah, and it gives us something to talk about on this board other than the videogame footage and the crazy babbling people do in the milk bar.

And even when go see many times, I still want other people to go see and enjoy, and I want to see this movie be sucessful. I always like to see a good movie do well at the box office, usually doesnt work that way, alot times bad movies overshadow those that are good due to over hyping or an overblown star. I really doubt(know) that SW will be overshadowed by anything but I want it to do well.

Leog14
Yup true.

Alliance
Originally posted by Luetchyboy
May I ask, why do you care how much it makes in the first weekend or whatever (not to the people merely guessing how much it will make to the people hoping it makes more than insert movie here).

I think it is a huge deal. Yes, we love the movie, but we want others ot love it too. I have always wanted for teh PT to achive some of the same status as the OT. Box office numbers are a sign, though perhaps a superficial one, that people are recognizing the movie. If it makes huge numbers, people will go see it. That is what we all want. I want it to get recognition I think it deserves.

astrofan428
To Alliance you listen.

ab2421
It would be ironic if the best of the prequels made the least amount of money... and remember back around Ep.2 time, Lucas said (probably just to be safe) that Ep.3 wouldn't make that much because it would be so dark... hmmm.. maybe that prediction will be fulfilled?

---

I would agree that it may not shatter any first week records... not if the movie continues to be on the down-low as far as serious advertisements go.... where's the hoopla?!!

vader519
I truly believe it can make more money than TPM, so I think it will make more than 430 million. I also think it will break Spider-Man's opening weekend record of 115 million.

HAROLD
Originally posted by Boris
I'd say better than both TPM and AOTC, It's the very last Star Wars movie, I know people who hate the series but are just going for that very reason. You're right about one thing. Many people who haven't even thought about SW since the OT are going because they know it's the last one.

HAROLD
Originally posted by vader519
I also think it will break Spider-Man's opening weekend record of 115 million. It certainly has the potential, but Spider-Man's record is still pretty much untouchable. I wouldn't be too surprised if ROTS actually broke 115, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm still sticking with my initial prediction of around 100.

This brings up something I wanted to address. ROTS's opening weekend will be no doubt phenomonal, but it's overall run won't be so hot. I mean, it will break 300, but not 400, because of all the bootleggers making copies available days after it's release (which I'm SO against, by the way).

astrofan428
As far as Lucas saying it would make less money due to the dark tone, I dont think that will star working against the movie until it has bee out and word spreads.

ArynCrinn
You can find the top box office listings here people...

h p://imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross?region=world-wide

obiwan609
lets just say......every theater i know of within a 40 mile radius in my area is sold out just for the 12 midnight showing

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darth_Nefarus
i have a feeling it will break spider man's opening weekend record. Different age groups love these stories and it will be a part of us forever. This movie has been a 27 year journey to the darkside that none of us will ever forgey. Remember back when you were 8 years old, you wanted to know how Vader became more machine than man, how he turned to the darkside, and now the wait is over.
If it is as good as spoilers, critics and pre-screeners have said, then the cult following from the first Star Wars movie will not only be re-born, but become even bigger.
I can't wait for Sith to happen

kiadimundijedi
"As much as he made in college"

HAROLD
Originally posted by Darth_Nefarus
i have a feeling it will break spider man's opening weekend record. Different age groups love these stories and it will be a part of us forever. This movie has been a 27 year journey to the darkside that none of us will ever forgey. Remember back when you were 8 years old, you wanted to know how Vader became more machine than man, how he turned to the darkside, and now the wait is over.
If it is as good as spoilers, critics and pre-screeners have said, then the cult following from the first Star Wars movie will not only be re-born, but become even bigger.
I can't wait for Sith to happen You bring up some good points. As I said before, ROTS does indeed have the potential to break S-M, but I think it's safe keep my prediction at 100.

HAROLD
Three weeks.

astrofan428
But this movie will have two things going for it that will make regular movie fans go see it.

1. Darth Vader(no matter how long)

2. This is it, this is the last one.

Batman316
PG-13 = decline in initial movie go-ers. Fathers like I will go alone first just to make sure the kids won't freak out when Anakin turns badass. So I think the opening weekend will be less than expected simply cause of the lack of 13 and unders buying tickets

vader519
I think the box office for the first weekend will not suffer much. These days, you do not find many paretns that pay attention to miv ratings, unless they know for sure it is rated R. I know there will be lots of parents taking thier kids to see star wars. I fyou ask most parents, they probably will not know that it is PG-13, unless they are know about it.

Texansfan05
I think Revenge Of The Sith Could make 500 million in the US mostly because It's the last Star Wars Movie.

Leog14
It's the last chance to catch Star Wars in theaters and probably the biggest with the most theaters open and the pg-13 didn't hurt the Titanic with it's 800 million and it's nudity supposedly art.

Darth_Nefarus
People want a dark movie, and they're going to get it. Like I said ealier I think it could break Spider-Man's record, and I know I'm going to see it at lesat 3 times to help make sure it does.

Of course less children will go see it as a father who posted earlier mentioned. But that's children, most the people that will see this movie are young adults in their early twenties, or 30+ year olds. Anyone who saw and fell in love with these movies when they were 5-10 will be hounding the theatres for weeks.

Hell, I might just go once a week just because it's the last Star Wars movie. I mean, it has brought a lot to our culture, filmmaking and many of our hearts in general.

And I want to see Obi-Wan whip Anakin for whining in Episode 2 lol

tlbauerle
Originally posted by Texansfan05
I think Revenge Of The Sith Could make 500 million in the US mostly because It's the last Star Wars Movie.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhht.

Have you EVER looked at the grosses for the other movies? NO "STAR WARS" movie has made that much.

manny321
there is no spiderman or big event movie unlike the last summers so it will do bigger numbers.

37 million opening day
93 million weekend
130 million 4-days
340 million total
A respectable gross which will go much higher if i find it to be better then the Attack of the clones.

Texansfan05
Okay 500 Might be a little to much but I think It could make More than Episode 4 if it can keep momentum. Episode 4 made 460 million. If it makes more than episode 4 it would be in range of 500 million

SlickRick69
$1 billion dollars opening day, $7 billion for the 3 day weekend, setting the stage for a $900 trillion theatrical run, it will be in all theaters for 3 years steady non-stop before being released on home holographic data chip for viewing on our home holograph theaters in 2008, where Star Wars will earn an additional $650 quadrillion in HHDC revenue...

what the hell, since we're making predictions, why not go all out??

Alliance
I disagree with many of you. While the darkness of this episode may be a hinderance to younger moviegoers, billions of parents will still take them anyway because its star wars. I actually think the darkness is a draw to older moviegoers, they expect it to be better than the last two, at least from the non-starwars fans ive talked too who have at least seen the movies and plan on seing this one.

And the fact it is the last will draw people too.

The movie will be great opening weekend, i think we'll all be pleased. The real test is how long it can drag out that kind of fanaticism.

Lets all go se it ten times just to pump up revenue!

Leog14
Hell I'm going to see it twice just for that, in Digital and normal theaters.

astrofan428
I think it will do really well, I keep hearing this quote everywhere I go....

"I have never been a SW fan, but this one looks like may be good."

Leog14
You have never been a SW fan but you avatar speaks differently.

astrofan428
Originally posted by Leog14
You have never been a SW fan but you avatar speaks differently.

Wasnt talking about me, I was saying I keep hearing people say that.

Lord S
$100M first weekend.

$400-$500M overall in US.

$1B+ overall worldwide.

juggernaut74
I say 350 Million U.S.

rubber dickie
this is the most anticipated movie of the saga, the completion of the star wars circle. so the fact that it has a pg13 rating might have little effect on the movie's success.

theshakl
yeah i also hear people in school talk about it all the time, and they say, "I never seen Star Wars...but this one looks good"

Alliance
every time im in a theater and the Traierl comes on, after it, there is always a ton of buzz and whispering...thats probably a good sign.

Texansfan05
I like your predictions Lord S I agree with all of them

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by Falacerjedi
I will go with the $95 million mark, it'll get close to $100 for opening weekend but probably just miss it...over the course of the summer I say it will for sure break $300 million and probably be in the top2 by years end for top grossing movies.

Exactly, I say it will have an opening weekend in the area of $90-97 million.

manny321
note there is no competition for this movie. There was spiderman for AOTC but there is no big movie that will effect the gross. Yes spiderman was in its third weekend when AOTC came out, but it still had a major impact on it. There is only a kids flick Madagascar that could provide some competition. SO expect bigger numbers for the first two weekends.

Texansfan05
Well said Manny thumb up

Biggestgeekever
I bet this film makes around $45 million on opening day, if you include Thursday as the opening then around $160 million, if not then about $110 million.

TheAnimal
there will be compitition. kingdom of heaven could still be #1 i saw it and loved it. my uncle is a film critic and he saw ep3. according to him he gave it 5 stars. box office wise i can see $120million the most

Texansfan05
Kingdom Of Heaven Won't be competition it's number 1 now and it may be great I want to see it but it only made 20 million in it's 1st weekend and it will probably make less in the next 2 weekends. It won't be competition for Episode 3.

JediStang
100 mil on opening weekend, and that's just coming out of my pocket...TEE HEE...

No prob 100 for thurs, fri, sat, sun. Hopefully it'll smash titanic.

Texansfan05
I wish it could Break Titanic's Record but that would take a miracle.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.