Does anyone else hate it when hard rock bands mellow out?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mr.smiley
just woundering.

StinkFist462
no , i like when a heavy band plays a softer song every now and then

Darth Revan
Originally posted by mr.smiley
just woundering.

No. It only bothers me if a band starts to suck when it mellows out, I quite enjoy "soft" music on occasion.

Lana
Doesn't bother me, unless like DR said, they start to suck. Sometimes a change is nice.

Darth Revan
For example, I personally think that ACLOTM was Incubus' best album yet, and also their softest. yes

Lana
My favorite Incubus song is Stellar, and that's definitely not a hard song or anything happy

ACLOTM is a great album.

StinkFist462
hell yes it is , Fungus Amungus is strange ...

Darth Revan
I like "Enjoy Incubus." It gives me the illusion that I'm cool enough to be on hallucinogenic drugs. sad

cindy8219
it doesnt bother me at all. A soft song gives the lead singer showcase his voice more and the band.

Alpha Centauri
A Crow Left of the Murder is their best album, Sick Sad Little World being possibly their best song.

That was the first album that Incubus truly established themselves as one of the very best and also their own style. Although influences can be heard.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Well, let's stop pushing the bandwagon along. Incubus were never actually a hard rock band anyway.

Nothing wrong with 'mellow'. Only shit music.

Darth Revan
My point was that they were hard-ER than they are now.

Victor Von Doom
Yeah, it was valid. Just wondered why it became an Incubus thread.

Perhaps the thread poster could share the bands they have in mind?

mr.smiley
I was talking more along the lines of Godsmack and Sevendust.
Incubus has always sounded good!

Deathblow
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Sick Sad Little World being possibly their best song.

No possibly about it. It's light-years ahead of anything I've heard them do.

And no I don't hate it personally, it's called variation. Plus, when the best hard rock bands do mellow songs, they often turn out great. Chloroform Perfume is FATA's best song, Angel's Son is Sevendust's best song (well, second best), Something I Can Never Have is NIN's best song...

mr.smiley
I disagree.
Black and ***** were awesome songs!
angels son was good but it sounded like something dave mattewhs band would sing.
I used to like godsmack but it sounds like their becoming alice N chains clones

Darth Revan

Victor Von Doom
Surely being an AIC clone is better than being the real Godsmack.

Alpha Centauri
Coz Godsmack are shit, is what I think his point is.

-AC

ChickinMeat
I must admit i quite enjoy godsmack

I though ACLOTM was a dreadful album, i took it back the day after i bought it. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. or Make Yourself would be my favourite incubus albums, the songs off those albums are great live.

Its seems since Dirk Lance left, i have disliked there music immensly.

Alpha Centauri
Despite Ben Kenney being the much better bassist? (Coz he is)

I saw them live last year, my favourite songs live were those of ACLOTM.

It's the best album they've done by far. Calling it dreadful is rather silly.

-AC

Vyxen
just like when the chilis went to scar tissue

that pissed me off

but I got used to it roll eyes (sarcastic)

Alpha Centauri
Are you really, seriously trying to say that the Chili Peppers have been anything other than mellow?

Scar Tissue is one of their very best songs.

-AC

Vyxen
I said I WAS pissed off

but I lie it now

i was like 13 at the time

now I am not so there

Alpha Centauri
Well, you sure showed me.

-AC

Vyxen
roll eyes (sarcastic)

mr.smiley
No man.
I love alice N chains.

ChickinMeat
Despite Ben Kenney being the much better bassist? (Coz he is)

I saw them live last year, my favourite songs live were those of ACLOTM.

It's the best album they've done by far. Calling it dreadful is rather silly.

-AC

right, so your saying because YOU say its the best album they have done so far, that i must think it is? alas you are wrong, therefore, calling it dreadful is not silly, but my opinion.

And from what ive heard on the new album, i have not heard any bass lines that can top dirks lines, i just found there new album sounds too much like everything else, unlike there old material that i found more original.

Sorry if you disagree but thats my opinion

Slayer XxX
No it dosnt really bother me but some bands would just not sound right if they went soft. Like Cannibal Corpse, look at how deep they make their vocals. I dont see how they could make one song without having a sore throat after singing.

Alpha Centauri
I put Ben Kenney above Dirk for the simple reason that he created great stuff on the new album, can handle all the old stuff AND can improvise amazingly. When I saw them live he played an awesome bass solo, just randomly sitting there.

-AC

ChickinMeat
Thats a good point, he has managed to learn all of Dirks stuff aswell i forgot that aspect.

I wouldnt know about the bass solo though, ive never seen him with them live , i saw incubus back in the dirk days

Alpha Centauri
I dunno what happened but something happened with the speakers. Brandon, Mike and Jose walked off and Ben just sat there playing an amazing bass solo. Both technically and musically.

You should make a note to see them live next time they tour.

-AC

ChickinMeat
Y'know, i might just have to do that!

If it was anything like the last one i went to its got to be good.

Treehuggerjanie
just woundering.

YES YES YES YES!it really gets on my nerves.they can be using really powerful voices one minute then all of a sudden using really crappy melodic singing.omg someone shares my views.YEAH BABY!

mr.smiley
oh yeah!

It realy aggrevates me.
I mean to the point i think one day i will make a web site dedicated to it.

Alpha Centauri
You're idiots if you actually believe that.

-AC

mr.smiley
belive what?

Alpha Centauri
*Hands you a ball*

Bounce this.

-AC

Deathblow
laughing out loud x 10

Lana
AC, it's been quite some time since I last remember you handing out the bouncy ball......laughing

Shaggy2dope
kinda reminds me of slipknot no offense to you slipknot fans

mr.smiley
go take your ball and run away

StinkFist462
Originally posted by Treehuggerjanie
YES YES YES YES!it really gets on my nerves.they can be using really powerful voices one minute then all of a sudden using really crappy melodic singing.omg someone shares my views.YEAH BABY!

do you actually LISTEN to MUSIC ? or just bullshit noise ?

Alpha Centauri
go take your ball and run away

Well....look who's the grumpy gus. Don't want the fabled red ball huh?

*Hands some some crayons and paper*

Now, go draw me something and come back when you've finished.

-AC

mr.smiley
yeah!

limited06
Augustana - Boston
Coheed and Cambria - Wake up

Jim Colyer
Even the greatest bands eventually run out of songs.

Ascendancy
I think it's just hard to be all angsty and dark once you don't have to worry about how you're going to keep the lights on anymore. Look at how much bands like Metallica & Megadeth have changed, or Stained to use someone newer.

This band I used to get down with called As Cities Burn went from distortion and screaming on their first album to nothing but stuff that would put you half to sleep on their third. That's life, no?

I think the only way you can keep it that hard is if your music doesn't really mean anything anyway. Korn's stuff is still pretty heavy because they don't really talk about too much, not that I listen to them now, but in passing anyway. Same with a lot of mainstream rap staying "hard." They were just throwing out fake lyrics about slinging weight and shooting people up, so when it's fake to begin with it's not hard to do it again and again when it's just about the money,.

mr.smiley
Well....look who's the grumpy gus. Don't want the fabled red ball huh?

*Hands some some crayons and paper*

Now, go draw me something and come back when you've finished.

-AC

I just realized the balls been restricted. laughing

movie1
No, I don't hate that. Talent doesn't have a lot to do with being mellow or being harsh either way.

Jim Colyer
Never cared for hard rock to begin with!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.