Rules, Rules, Rules

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FeceMan
I started thinking about this when, in another thread, I read that some Christians believe that there are strict rules and regulations one must follow in order to be saved. These go above the basic "don't kill, don't rape, etc." things (though one doesn't have to follow these to be saved, either), such as no dancing, no watching movies, no drinking, no long hair on men, and more.

This reminds me a bit of something that Paul wrote. You see, at one point he was teaching these Greeks about Christ and they were happy and eager to convert to Christianity. Then a group of traditionalist Jews came along and were like, "Whoa, there--you know, you aren't saved unless you are circumcised. So, uh, find a doctor and get cutting." And these people did do so, even though they were old.

Ouch.

What happened was that these rules clouded the true message of God. The insistence on rigorous, unnecessary "laws" to be saved sidetracked God's teachings and really hurt their image. This made Paul quite angry.

His response? He said he wished that these Jewish traditionalists would "go the whole way" and sever their genitals from their body. (That's a nice way of putting it.)

Angels -- Humans -- Beasts.

That's the "celestial order" (ooh, mystical) of things. Angels have no bodies and do not partake in the pleasures of the flesh--such as sex. Beasts, on the other hand, have no self-control; they do as they will without inhibitions. Some churches teach that one must deprive oneself of any physical pleasure. In essence, they are trying to make people as angels, which is not as God intended.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: Christians, don't get hung up on all sorts of technicalities and extreme legalism.

Goodnight.

Capt_Fantastic
So, you're saying that god created us to act as angels but gave us the urges of the beasts?

Tex
You know what's funny? Humans haven't finished evolving yet. Many people think aliens are actually future humans traveling back in time. alien

In fact scientists predict that we'll lose most of our hair; future baptists dont have to worry about that technicality. stick out tongue

debbiejo
^ I like my hair....

And true feceguy....Too many churches add on the legalistic rules...and good people try to keep them, like head coverings...etc...I would think that after awhile it would all just be robotic actions and people would lose their joy. Of course these same people will really criticize others for not doing as they are. They might not say anything if you wear pants to church (girls of course), but if the following month and you show up in a dress...they'll all fall over you telling you how great you look in a dress....It's subtle, and they've lost the message.

And ya, there are people who are "To heavenly minded to be any Earthly good."

PrinceofBlades
Originally posted by FeceMan
I started thinking about this when, in another thread, I read that some Christians believe that there are strict rules and regulations one must follow in order to be saved. These go above the basic "don't kill, don't rape, etc." things (though one doesn't have to follow these to be saved, either), such as no dancing, no watching movies, no drinking, no long hair on men, and more.

This reminds me a bit of something that Paul wrote. You see, at one point he was teaching these Greeks about Christ and they were happy and eager to convert to Christianity. Then a group of traditionalist Jews came along and were like, "Whoa, there--you know, you aren't saved unless you are circumcised. So, uh, find a doctor and get cutting." And these people did do so, even though they were old.

Ouch.

What happened was that these rules clouded the true message of God. The insistence on rigorous, unnecessary "laws" to be saved sidetracked God's teachings and really hurt their image. This made Paul quite angry.

His response? He said he wished that these Jewish traditionalists would "go the whole way" and sever their genitals from their body. (That's a nice way of putting it.)

That's the "celestial order" (ooh, mystical) of things. Angels have no bodies and do not partake in the pleasures of the flesh--such as sex. Beasts, on the other hand, have no self-control; they do as they will without inhibitions. Some churches teach that one must deprive oneself of any physical pleasure. In essence, they are trying to make people as angels, which is not as God intended.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: Christians, don't get hung up on all sorts of technicalities and extreme legalism.

Goodnight.

"Do good, avoid evil." That's all it takes. This is later explained in the ten commandments, which then become a foundation of law. By simply following the simple phrase "Do good, avoid evil", you get into heaven. And those who aren't catholic, whatever you see as happiness after death. Humans are the ULTIMATE beings. They have free will, which beasts do not. Beasts can control themselves, I mean they never eat in excess, or have sex for pleasure, I mean they do everything out of nature. They have sex during a season. They eat like clock work. They follow a specific pattern till they die. Angels have free will, I mean look at the devil, he was angel. He used his free will to disobey God, AFTER KNOWING THE OUTCOME. He knew he was going to lose, and get punished to an eternal torment. That's why sin is considered so terrible, because if you truly believe God, to commit a sin is like to root for the winning side of a game. But the last statement is very true. God made us with passions, emotions, desires. He made us stewards of the animals and of the plants that we may rule over them with a balanced manner. We are the pinncale, the medium, bridge between the heavens and the earth. Through us were the angels and beasts perfected, for we were once perfect.

Darth Odious
That was poetic. I mentioned on another room that people seem to turn a simple doorway into a labryinth full of boobytraps. I may not be God's biggest fan but I'm sure alot of these OCD rules can twist my own view of God like they can many. I'm trying Ringo...I'm trying reaaall hard to be the sheperd.

Jackie Malfoy

Ouch.

Goodnight.

Religon should not have that much rules it should have some but not any strict onesOr alot of people are going to end up breaking them.JM

finti
religions would be nothing without their rules, so..............

FeceMan
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
Religon should not have that much rules it should have some but not any strict onesOr alot of people are going to end up breaking them.JM
Thank you, Ms. Malfoy. That was a brilliant piece of insight you have offered us.

Not at all. We were created higher than beasts, to be more than them. We have the same urges, but we are greater than they will ever be. We are to enjoy physical pleasures--eating, drinking, sex, etc.--within reason and with limits.

MahmoudAB
We are to enjoy physical pleasures--eating, drinking, sex, etc.--within reason and with limits.

well you can enjoy all of these things also by rules, in religion you can't have sex with a woman your not married to, drinking alcohol is not allowed no matter what, religion says, as you say (Do good, Avoid evil) is a simple thing, it also says (anything that the bad thing in it is more that the good thing, don't do it) smoking for example has no benefit, drinking is good in one case for hospital use in need, everybody knows the alcohols effect ...etc

God gave you brain and its not hard to realize and differentiate between good and bad

debbiejo
^ What if you do one of these thing?? Do you get condemned in hell? And is there a way out..If so, what do you do to avoid hell?

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Tex
You know what's funny? Humans haven't finished evolving yet. Many people think aliens are actually future humans traveling back in time. alien

That's actually what I think. If they exist, it is most likely us from the future, coming back because we've genetically engineered ourselves to the point of extinction.

PrinceofBlades
That's a hoot, but your entitled to your own opinion.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by PrinceofBlades
That's a hoot, but your entitled to your own opinion.

Thanks, I'm aware.

FeceMan
Originally posted by debbiejo
^ What if you do one of these thing?? Do you get condemned in hell? And is there a way out..If so, what do you do to avoid hell?
Are you asking me?

If you are a Christian and have read at least some of my posts, you should know the answer to this.

debbiejo
Nope nope nope...I'm asking Mahmoud... huh

PrinceofBlades
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Thanks, I'm aware.

Wasn't informing, just saying. Your education isn't my responsibility. And I don't intend to make it mine.

Capt_Fantastic
Wasn't informing, just saying. Your education isn't my responsibility. And I don't intend to make it mine.

Thank Ya Jesus! I feel like singin'

PrinceofBlades
Thank Ya Jesus! I feel like singin'

"Walk to the border of the town, take off you sandals, and sweep off the dust you gathered from that town. Put you sandels on and leave."

Capt_Fantastic
"Walk to the border of the town, take off you sandals, and sweep off the dust you gathered from that town. Put you sandels on and leave."

Isn't that from Pauls letters to the Ignorant?

finti
you are generalising, the christians have no laws against alcohol, even the guy they worship made wine out of water.
Not to mention the alcohol place in the Norse mythology which actually still is acknowledge as a religion here in Scandinavia due to that it has enough practicing members to do so.
Further the fact that atheism is considered a religion................need I say more? beer wine

PrinceofBlades
Wow, you're allowed to drink wine in christianity. But it's just like feceman says, some people give more rules that are necessary. You are allowed to drink alcohol, but never in excess. In other words drink and enjoy, but don't get drunk.

Adam_PoE
Angels have no bodies and do not partake in the pleasures of the flesh--such as sex.

Beasts can control themselves, I mean they never eat in excess, or have sex for pleasure, I mean they do everything out of nature. They have sex during a season. They eat like clock work. They follow a specific pattern till they die.

Chimpanzees and dolphins are two species of animals that have recreational sex.

debbiejo
Wow, you're allowed to drink wine in christianity. But it's just like feceman says, some people give more rules that are necessary. You are allowed to drink alcohol, but never in excess. In other words drink and enjoy, but don't get drunk.

Regarding wine...On Purim, the Jews are to drink until they can't say "Blessed is Molokai, and cursed is Haman." I think it was Haman..anyway the evil guy.

So...they are to be deliriously drunk...

PrinceofBlades
Originally posted by debbiejo
Regarding wine...On Purim, the Jews are to drink until they can't say "Blessed is Molokai, and cursed is Haman." I think it was Haman..anyway the evil guy.

So...they are to be deliriously drunk...

And that way is wrong, for in proverbs, "To get drunk is to be stupid."

finti
people have different stages, some tolerate a bunch some tolerate close to nothing.......so who draws the line

debbiejo

On Purim, they say that God commands them to get drunk and happy for they are a saved people. Save from be wiped out as a people..You know the Ester story.

finti
try it and once and you might alter your way of thinking

debbiejo
Didn't Benjamen Franklin say "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy?"

Jedi_KnightAlly
I'll drink to that beer

finti
drinking beer and being drunk is proof of that sin is a creation of conservtive moronic christians...........and ask their daughters of the sins we preformed while me living in Arkansas devil

Jedi_KnightAlly
Lol, you know its a very mortal sin to have sex before marriage, you should pay for your sins in eternal damnation!
just a thought.....
See if to have sex and get wrecked etc means u go to hell, is that what you do in hell??? And in heaven u sit being perfect?

finti
both devil and god fear me,ohh what greatness I can influence

Capt_Fantastic

Proverbs? Are you saying that it says the word "stupid" in the Bible?

debbiejo
Oh my Gosh.....Arn't we the god today!!!

Hello Dionysus..wine

PrinceofBlades
Proverbs? Are you saying that it says the word "stupid" in the Bible?

Yes, they had a strong word for ignorant too. Even Aristophanes once said, "Youth ages, immaturity outgrown, ignorance educated, drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."

Capt_Fantastic
Yes, they had a strong word for ignorant too. Even Aristophanes once said, "Youth ages, immaturity outgrown, ignorance educated, drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."

Okay, well, then do enlighten us to the exact passage in the bible where the word 'stupid' is used.

debbiejo
Well scripture does say that stong drink is a mocker. And causes one to become angry.

PrinceofBlades
I can't find My bible from which it says stupid, but here's the proverb:

"Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever so is led astray by them is not wise." (Proverb 20:1)

finti
yet it was those devoted to god who brewed most of the todays known liquor and jesus made wine out of water

PrinceofBlades
Originally posted by finti
yet it was those devoted to god who brewed most of the todays known liquor and jesus made wine out of water

Right, I'm not saying "DRINKING IS BAD!!!". I'm saying "GETTING DRUNK IS BAD!!!".

FeceMan
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Chimpanzees and dolphins are two species of animals that have recreational sex.
The angels fell and became flesh. And yes, chimps and dolphins are whores of creatures that also partake in rape. (At least I believe I heard/read that somewhere; correct me if I am wrong.)

Jedi_KnightAlly
Aren't dolphins like the smartest animal bar us? "whores of creatures?" little harsh on them, they may be intelligent but intelligence without knowledge gets you nowhere, and i personally can not see why someone should be damned for having recreational sex, raping a creature is different however. But to refer to them as whores is very harsh, and very unforgiving.

PrinceofBlades
"Judge not others, lest you be judged." I find it hard that creatures could be capable of such actions. But I have no foundation for my statement, and I hope you do for yours. Lest it be circumstantial.

debbiejo
It's interesting through history that because of the poor condition of water most people drank ale, even children. On ships like the Mayflower that's all they had, since fresh water would go bad...In European countries, many have a different view of wine. It's just part of daily life. But if your family had the only source of clean water, you might not want to spread it around, they might accuse you of being a witch...People are so superstitious, even today.

finti
well I think worshiping a diety is bad so....................

FeceMan
Whores of animals = joking.

Jedi_KnightAlly
lol that makes more sense, i thought u were being a bit harsh on them lol.

PrinceofBlades
Originally posted by finti
well I think worshiping a diety is bad so....................

So we will honor each others beliefs and quarrel over petty some issues.

PrinceofBlades
*not quarrel

Darth Odious

Darth Odious
Whores of animals = joking. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA. HOLY SHIT!!!

FeceMan
What the hell did he post?

PrinceofBlades
What the hell did he post?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA. HOLY SHIT!!!

FeceMan
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA. HOLY SHIT!!!
I mean, what did he post that was edited and got him banned?

debbiejo
Looks like he was a really really bad boy...wonder what he said...?

PrinceofBlades
Well he's on the OTF...

Capt_Fantastic
"He" doesn't matter. He IS shit. Let's move on.

FeceMan
So...I have control over him?

debbiejo
dolphins are whores

I knew it! I knew those dolphins were whores with those cute little faces.

PrinceofBlades
Isn't that from Pauls letters to the Ignorant?

eek! You surprise me Capt_Fantastic, here I'm thinking your an anti Christian, and you pull quite the astounding parry. notworthy for this, and this alone, I bow to you.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.