Storythread: Master versus Apprentice

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth_Janus
(Curse Nefarus for making me want to write...)

The door closed behind him, bolts clicking into place and the hiss of gas being released echoed in the large open chamber. Before him, in a half circle, were a series of elevated platforms, each home to tanks. These tanks were in turn homes to fallen warriors. Jedi who had been taken and all but slain by the Sith. They floated inside the tanks, eyes closed, looking like some sort of vile overgrown fetus. The sight of seeing so many in such a position did little for the observer's mood.

But these medical monstrosities were not the focus of his eyes. No, before him stood his old apprentice, Malak. His skin tinged pink and red from the glow of his ready lightsaber, the former apprentice turned betrayer gazed back at Revan, his expression reveiling nothing. If the taller Sith lord had had a lower visage, it might have been a smug grin. In any case, Revan was not here for sharing expressions. He was here to finish what he had started.

"I knew those droids would be unable to stop you." Malak began, his artificial voice echoing endlessly in the metal chamber. "Even my apprentices fell before your lightsaber. You are indeed stronger than ever." Was that a touch of fear in that raspy voice? Revan thought as much.

"Stronger than you have ever been, Malak. You were foolish to think you could usurp my title and control the Star Forge." Revan sneered. He had not yet drawn his lightsaber.

"You were weak, Revan. You have ever been weak. You surround yourself with pawns like this is some dejarik board, and you manipulate them to your whim, but you have always been weak. And it is by your teachings that I did as I did. The teachings of the Sith." Malak leaned forward, eyes aglow. "Do you understand the depth of the power you once possessed? Do you understand just how narrowly you escaped death at my hands?"

Revan's lightsaber flashed from nowhere, twirling in his hand as easily and coming about, pointed at Malak. The former master's eyes narrowed, his look one of determination. The determination that had turned the war against the Republic for the Republic. The same determination that had met death a hundred times and sent it packing each and every time.

Darth_Janus
"I understand that you will die here, Malak. You have earned your death here, at my hands through your treachery and your ignorance."

Malak scoffed, the metallic echo suddenly being drowned out by the hum of his own blade as he spun it amazingly fast around in one hand. Then, they came together, blades hitting one another with full force. Though Malak was the bigger and the stronger, Revan's own strength came from the Force and flowed easily through his body. They remained locked there for a few moments until Malak pushed himself back. Revan came forward and then darted to one side, evading the deceptive slash of the taller sith lord. They went at it in earnest, blades flashing. The steady hum of the sabers moving and clashing reverberating throughout the metal chamber like some demented choir.

The battle raged on, with Malak seemingly having the advantages with his long arms and long blade, and his amazing agility for being so tall. But in truth he was only barely able to keep pace with Revan, who was seemingly dancing with blade in hand. The latter faught fluidly and without undo pause, creating a myriad dance of death. And though Malak laughed and taunted, it was he who was hard pressed. The dance finally died down when the apprentice found himself backed into a wall. Revan came at him with a swift thrust, but Malak batted the blow aside and flipped back, kicking off the wall and landing on the other platform, much higher. He turned to Revan and laughed his eerie, unnatural laugh.

"You presume to defeat me here? In the very heart of the Star Forge? I cannot be beaten."

Revan watched Malak and came closer with measured steps. "I have always been your better, Malak. Do not forget that so easily in the face of cheap power."

"You fool! I have tapped power you cannot even begin to imagine!" And with that Malak reached out his hand, pointed at one of the nearby tanks. Energy flashed, jumping from his hand to the floating Jedi husk, and then back. The waves crackled around Malak's tall frame, and he laughed moreso.

Seemingly rejuvenated, Malak leapt at his former master, saber flashing, a long red blur. But Revan was anticipating such a bold and arrogant attack, sidestepping and kicking the sith lord to the ground. He then came out Malak as the latter rose, his lightsaber nipping and biting at the other's defenses. The dance began again, with Malak more easily keeping up the rhythm. Several times Revan was forced to duck an uncomfortably close swing, or otherwise take to the defensive. Finally, Revan had Malak close to the edge, the apprentice batting furiosly to keep his balance.

"Your time is up, Malak." Revan spoke in between swings.

"Impossible. You cannot defeat me. I have the power here. I have the advantage!" But his sentence was cut short as Revan drew on the Force, launching Malak several meters into a nearby tank. Struggling to rise, Malak's hand came to touch the cool glass. With an artificially enhanced, yet still primal growl in his throat, Malak once again used that dark power, sapping the life force from this Jedi and regaining strength. He stood and turned to face Revan, eyes ablaze with hate.

"I should have properly killed you when I had the chance!" He fumed, coming forward with his blade a blur of red.

"You never have had the chance." Revan replied heatedly, and met the charge with one of his own. In that moment, they came at one another with full hate bared. Where there had been comraderie and friendship, even mentorship, only pure and flowing emotion remained in the form of mutual hate. It would have been a profound moment to a keen observer, but alas only the near-dead Jedi in the tanks could bear witness to the following display. The strikes, the parries, everything was nothing short of breathtaking. In this following few minutes, the two spoke with blades what words could never impart.

But it came to an end when Malak overextended himself for a downward swing, hoping to batter down his old friend or cleave him in twain. He knew immediately of his fatal mistake as Revan's own blade pierced his chest, the burn of the lightsaber a thousand times hotter than anything he had ever experienced. The wound was made and sealed instantly, and Malak fell back, his eyes staring up at the ceiling but he could not comprehend it, so great was his pain.

Revan stood over his former apprentice and friend, looking down into those fading eyes. Malak moved slightly, but it was a mere twitch. Then, the voice came up to his ears, that enhanced, artificial voice.

"You... You were right. You are my superior, Revan. You... always have been." A cough. Malak's eyes fluttered, and one pale hand came up to clutch feebly at Revan's robes. "Tell me... If our roles had been reversed... If it had been me, and not you to be taken... Would you have hunted me? Would you have destroyed me?"

Revan's face was a mask, but his voice came readily enough. "No, you would have come for me. And I would have defeated you, as I have now."

Malak laughed, a weak gesture. "I do not think... that had I could have overcome so much... I have failed, haven't I? In everything?"

Revan only looked impassively. If he was bothered or hurt by the questions, the sight, he did not show it. "You have failed in your ambitions, Malak. You did not have the ability or the wisdom to see your own mistakes. And for that, you will die."

Malak closed his eyes. "Then I shall die as nothing..." This last word coming out as a metallic hiss.

The battle was ended. And Revan had overcome his wayward apprentice. He looked up, watching the battle rage on outside through the Star Forge's windows. Ships exploding in crimson balls, lasers both red and green crisscrossing the entire view... And then he turned away, cloak trailing behind him. There was still another battle to be fought and won...

Darth_Nefarus
NOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to collaborate on a story man. We could tear it up.

Maybe something like Mace vs. Revan? That would be one of the ultimate battles.

Darth_Janus
Tear it up indeed. Mace versus Revan would pretty much wreck the place they're duelling in.

Darth_Nefarus
Yeah I'm pretty sure that could be one of the most mind boggling duels of all time

Wanderer259
Dammit. Now you guys make me want to write.

Darth_Nefarus
Do it man. Hell, it'd be awesome to get 3 or 4 of us writing an awesome star wars story

jedimaster2000
Whoa! since when did so many people decide to become story writers?

BTW, that was awesome Janus.

Wanderer259
I already write. Just not SW battles.

Darth_Nefarus
Well you should give it a shot

Darth_Janus
I was a fantasy writer, but not heavy on Sci Fi. I was leaning towards it, and Nefarus' enthusiam pushed me over.

BTW, thansk to all who liked it and gave me a thumbs up.

And Wanderer, join the darkside. We offer free parking.

Darth Mantis
That was a good one Janus.

SnakeEyes
Good Job man!

Darth_Janus
Thank you, thank you all! *Bows*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.