Why Is This Happening?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RedAlertv2
Well, I have been playing guitar for about five months now, and during this time, the thickest string on my guitar, teh E string, has broken twice. Now, it seems kind of odd to me that the only string I have managed to break is the thickest string. Also, both times this has happened, all of the other strings went out of tune at the same time the string broke. I was wondering if any guitarists at KMC could help me figure out what is going on and also help me keep this from happening again. As of now, my only solution is buy multiple backup strings, and just restring it each time. But I would like to know why the other strings go out of tune when the string breaks.

In case it matters, my guitar is an Ibanez G10.

SnakeEyes
You have been rocking out too hard. Also, what kind of strings are they?

loserib
what tunings are you useing

Deathblow
Play some reggae mon, most reggae songs only use the top strings, thus eliminating the E string snapping problem. I lurve playing reggae droolio

Dudester
Sorry about that-- hope it all works out

RedAlertv2
To answer some questions: I play in standard tuning, and the brand of string is Darko.

Originally posted by Deathblow
Play some reggae mon, most reggae songs only use the top strings, thus eliminating the E string snapping problem. I lurve playing reggae droolio

I dont know if you read closely, but the string I broke IS the top string.

Darth Revan
You said "thickest," ie, the LOW E string. "High" refers to strings that are higher pitched, not the ones that are the furthest from the floor when you're playing.

RedAlertv2
oh. my bad

RedAlertv2
anyone know some quality brands of guitar strings?

SnakeEyes
D'Addario

ChickinMeat
Ernie Ball also do good strings

You think you did well breaking your low E? I managed to break my low E on bass, i dont know how i did it...

RedAlertv2
holy shit.

well, got my guitar restringed. it seems to be in good order now. thanks for the help

Tptmanno1
I'm not really a guitar player, but you might be strumming hard so you hit the top string instead of strumming it, so its got more wear and tear..

Smasandian
Strings break all the time.
Its nothing bad.

The older the string, the easier it breaks. Why do you think bands have back up guitars and guitar techs?

Please tell me you stringed your guitar yourself?

RedAlertv2
yes i did. And as to why I started this post, the string was only a month old when it broke, not to mention it was teh low E string, which does not commonly break

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.