Debate 2: Why does Dumbledore trust Snape so much?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RoguePw25
All righty, time to kick off May's Debate! I would install a poll to this and give options, but I'm not sure on the reasons. I might install a poll in later once there are a few suggestions.

But lemme hear it! Why do you think Dumbledore trust Snape so much? Personally, I think there is something that Dumbledore isn't saying. (obviously). But sometimes I think that Dumbeldore trust Snape because he's afraid that Snape might be tempted to go back to the dark side. That is by giving him say the DADA position. So he wants to honestly trust Snape . .. .

Feel free to share your own, I just wanted to start ya off!

Lillytiger
Well, indeed, there must be some danger in Snape since Dumbledore would prefer to appoint Lockart or Umbridge rather than him for DADA!

Yet I am not sure about the reason. What I can tell you, though, is that I read on JKR's site that "Snape had told Dumbledore his story, and Dumbledore had believed him".
I suppose Dumbledore had good reasons to believe him, as well as not to trust him for the DADA job. On the other hand, he let him replace Lupin, once...

Phoenix
Oi recon that there must have been some big event that caused Dumblydor to trust Severus - maybe Snape saved Dumbledores life?

Draco69
Easy. The old perv can probably read his every thought.

Doctor Strange
Well, I think the reason that Dumbledore doesn't let Snape teach DADA is a matter of teaching methods.

When it comes to potions, he encourages the skilled students, while culling away the unable. This is good, because an unskilled mixer could hurt himself, so they'd be encouraged to buy them from an apothecary instead. Not everyone needs to know Potions.

Everyone does need to know DADA though. Snape's teaching method would scare a lot of children from a course that could mean the difference between life and death.

sephiroth rules
yeah i agree.... doctor strange? wer's dat from?

Unicor777

tigress
Snape erred after Harry's parnets were killed because of the info he gave to voldie on the prophesy he finaly found his consience (sp) id say as he owed james his life in a wizards life debt I think that as Dumbledore knows occlamens he knew snapes change of heart was real he doesnt have to trust snape he can see more than voldie could hence why snape hasnt been found out as a spy yet

Unicor777
But, another thing in the triangle DD, Snp, and VLD what is interesting is how come Voldermort is not aware of the change in attitude of Snape. Because being one of the greatest Sorcerer of our time, he should be able to read Snp's mind?

impatientinky
well, snape is really good at occlumeny and legis- whatever (sorry, can't remember stick out tongue ). i think it is quite possible that he's better than voldemort. unless voldemort's just playing along or things aren't as they seem.
which brings us to another question: sure, DD is the greatest wizard alive, but do we know that he's better at that mind-reading stuff than snape is at closing it off? snape probably had to undergo a test, mayby let DD search his mind (when he came back from voldemort) but maybe he can close certain things off without even an expirienced wizard (such as DD or voldemort) noticing.

so far my post doesn't have a point yet. i guess what i mean is that there's probably more to it than DD reading snape's mind. i like the idea of someone having saved snape's life and therefore creating that bond. but i guess that doesn't keep you away from the bad side either - we just need to look at pettigrew.

so, lots of rambling here from my part stick out tongue

tigress
slytherins are cunning and survive by their own means whatever is neccessary (sp eep) DD is more powerfull maybe snape is merley more fearfull of what DD could do to him 'shrugs'

RogueGambitdare
Maybe Snape go himself into some real trouble at one time and Dumbledore got him out of it so he swore to repay his debt to Dumbledore by never going back to Voldmort's side.

tigress
fair point that is more than likley the right one I wonder how it came about im sure we'll find out eventually

sephiroth rules
yeah....i hope rowling doesn't leave any loose ends........

tigress
yep totally

dark1365
Life debt. But I don't really know....look at the way Harry saved Pettigrew; he's a death eater too. And he hasn't done anything good for Harry yet. And Harry sure as hell does not trust him.

sephiroth rules
good point......i hope it gets cleared up like another visit to snape's past?

strawberryfeild
i really dont know......:cunfused:

radioboy121
It must be the twinkle in Snape's eye.

I'm guessing Dumbledore just saw some redeeming qualities in Snape or he had somewhat on the likes of Trelawney that made a prediction on Snape being vital in the future.

darkjedi132
i dont kno about u guys but i trust snape too i think he has an important role later on in the books, but idk

zod-doom
Dumbledore trusts snape because Snape is basically a good person, not very likable but good

zod-doom
pluss in the first book he saved Harry from Quirrell/Voldemort during the Quidditch match

dizzyblondegirl
you know the saying keep your friends close and your enimies closer
i thibk dumbledore is watching snape

sephiroth rules
good point.......

Because I can
meh..... maybe he doesn't trust snape... just wants him to think that.

tigress
Dumbledore is the greatest wizard in the world he will know one way or the other

Sar
me and my friend were talkin bout this the other day so thought id add my opinion... i think that though snape is not very likable he is trustworthy. just look at all the times he's redeemed himself despite being the prime suspect half the time. I respect snape's character because he's not so black and white. he's not nice but he's not evil.

i think the reason DD doesnt make him DADA is purely cause he makes a better potions teacher. remember when he covered one of their lessons when Lupin was off? he was pants.

Phoenix
I've jus been re-reading OotP and Sirius says something to Harry like 'The world isn't just divided into nice people and Death Eaters' maybe this has something to do with Snape - he's horrible but he's not EVIL

Phoenix
Just found a quot from JK on this page:

"Why does Professor Dumbledore allow Professor Snape to be so nasty to the students (especially to Harry, Hermione, and Neville)?
Dumbledore believes there are all sorts of lessons in life; horrible teachers like Snape are one of them!"

halfbldprincess
i've heard that the reason dumbledore trust snape is revealed in book6 and 7. so i think there is some major thing that happened that made dumbledore trust snape. and i think snape is not a bad person. he's good to the slytherins. he's just biased. he does no harm to anyone, the most he does is to dock points with some lame reason...

Phoenix
on the same page I linked above, Jo said something about Dumbledore interviewing Snape for DAtDA, thinking DAtDA would reveal the worst in him and offered him the Potions job instead!

Moosooman
Could it be a simple case that dumbledore is perhaps pyscic or holds forsight? anything is posible :P

halfbldprincess
but about some people say that dumbledore can read minds... i think even if he can he won't do that right? he won't reduce to such dirty tricks... imagine someone reading all your thoughts!

shaber
The most Dumbledore has done to intervene in Snape's goings on has been to stop Snape failing Harry Potter deliberately in Potions in PoA.

meandyoutoo
Maybe JK doesn't know why DD should trust Snape, LOL.

It is like Dan on 1th, everytime Snape does something good, and I almost like him, he turns around and messes it up!

shaber
It is a possibility that Snape was the 'useful spy' who tipped Dumbledore off about Voldemort being after the Potters.

The 'is he bad or isn't he?' gimmick concerning Snape is wearing rather thin however. The issue is still not resolved.

Referring the the Philosopher's Stone, Snape was not supposed to know that Quirrel was hiding Voldemort and therefore must have assumed that Quirrel was after the stone purely for personal greed. We don't know however why he was threatening Quirrel. He might have been trying to intimidate him into being loyal to Voldemort.

harry_lover_1
Hey, I got question. If Snape has the dark mark, then wouldn't he have to answer to Voldemort? I know he didn't show up at the little gathering in the 4th, but I thought that if they didn't answer then Voldemort would hunt them down and kill them or something of the sort? So why isn't he gone then?

shaber
How do you know for absolutely certain that Snape didn't leave Hogwarts in order to attend the reunion?

Harry_Monkey
Mabe Snape & Dumbledore are gay together. laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

MistressofSnape
DD trusts Snape cause .....well....Snape is what I would call loyal to him. He understands snape and Snape is in a kinda wizard debt to him for sticking up for him so much

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.