X3 director interview

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Crimson Phoenix
Here's a recent video interview:

http://www.iesb.net/movies2/movie050305.php

Sounds promising. So looking forward to X3

DarthLazious
It wont download on my PC.

Crimson Phoenix
Heres another recent one which has more info:

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/609/609518p1.html

Q: So you have you have X3 lined up next to direct?

MATTHEW VAUGHN: In theory.

Q: It's not ready to go yet?

VAUGHN: We're trying to see if we can get it off the ground at the moment. There's just a hell of a lot . We're meant to be filming it in August... We're working on it at the moment.

Q: Previous X-Men films have had trouble balancing so many characters and Berry has said she would only play Storm again if she had more to do.

VAUGHN: As far as I know, Halle's doing the film. In the script, she's got a lot to do and I've got a lot of experience with dealing with a lot of characters in a film... That doesn't intimidate me at all, so I think I know how to get that balance. That should be one of the easier parts of making this movie.

Q: Did Fox pursue you or did you come to them?

VAUGHN: What happened on X-Men was I just read they didn't have a director and I was looking for something to do next. (Laughs) So I just got in touch and they watched and they liked it.

Q: Are you a comic fan?

VAUGHN: Yeah. I used to be a big comic fan. I'm not as much anymore. I'm still a fan, I just haven't got time to read them. I like comic books, I like comic book movies. Good comic book movies, which I don't think there are many. Most of them are absolutely awful.

Q: Do you have any crazy plans to reinvent the franchise?

VAUGHN: I won't say crazy, no. I have plans to put my stamp on it. I hope to, I mean the studio has been incredibly supportive. I thought when I pitched them the way I wanted to make the movie, they'd run a mile. I think the X-Men are very much movies of the '90s and I think it's time for them to toughen up a bit.

Q: What is your personal stamp as you see it?

VAUGHN: I think fantasy should all be based in reality and then it becomes... You have to be able to relate to the characters and X-Men was pretty good because you saw all the floors and the conflict that they are going through. I think that conflict needs to be expanded on and I wanted the villains to be less, sort of, what's the word? At the moment I think there's a lot of mustache-twirling in the last films and I want to get rid of that and make the villains really scary and more realistic.

Q: Do you see this as a grittier, more violent film then the previous two?

VAUGHN: Violent, I wouldn't say. Grittier doesn't mean violent. I liked what Joss Whedon... You know how Whedon dealt with everything. I thought that that's more my sentiment.

Q: Can you talk about the premise?

VAUGHN: I can't. I could but I can't. (Laughs)

Q: We know there will be new characters. Even if you can't say who they are, can you say they whether they will be major characters or more along the line of the brief appearances of Kitty Pryde and Colossus?

VAUGHN: I wouldn't say there are going to, it's pretty hard to get to the forefront because there's some big guys you are going to have to squeeze past, but they'll have more to do then the last one.

Q: Are you addressing any element of the Dark Phoenix saga?

VAUGHN: Maybe. (Laughs)

Q: How closely are you working with the writer?

VAUGHN: Working very closely. Literally very, very, very closely. I've sat with them and wrote, we've been writing together.

Q: Will Wolverine take his shirt off again?

VAUGHN: Would you like him to? You'll have to ask Hugh. I don't know if Hugh's been to the gym lately.

Q: Are you signed for more than one?

VAUGHN: I will never sign anything which makes me have to do more than one film.

Q: Are you working closely with Avi Arad?

VAUGHN: Yeah, Avi's a cool guy. He's cool. Apparently he invented Air Hockey. I don't know if that's true or not but a friend told me that and I was impressed.

Q: Do you have any involvement in the teaser trailer for X3 that will be before Fantastic Four?

VAUGHN: They've announced the teaser trailer? It's gonna be the ultimate tease because it's going to have nothing from the movie on it. It's going to literally be an "X" and a "3." (Laughs)

Q: What do you see as the pitfalls of bad comic movies?

VAUGHN: Watching them.

Q: What do they do wrong?

VAUGHN: I don't know, just make a bad movie. I've got to be careful what I say. They either don't make a good film... You either ignore the comic book and make a great movie or you stay very close to the comic book. But I think a lot of times they ignore the comic book and they don't make a good film so you're just stuck in this no man's land.

Q: Which are your favorites?

VAUGHN: I did like the Spider-Mans. I thought they were very, very good. I liked Hulk. Everyone hated Hulk but I actually thought it was a good film. Admittedly, I saw it after everyone nailed it to the floor and I saw it on a digital projection which probably made The Hulk look better. I like the X-Men, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it... Matrix, I always call that a comic book movie and I thought that was good. One. (Laughs)

Q: What do you expect to be the biggest difficulty with X3?

VAUGHN: For me it's just the time we've got a real problem about. They want us to come out next May and that's a problem. We've got a hell of a lot to get done in 12 months. That's the only difficulty I foresee. Making a film is making a movie, it doesn't matter what the budget is.

Q: Are you prepared for the fan reaction? No matter what you do, some will still hate it.

VAUGHN: Fine, let them hate it. As long as I don't have to sit down in a room with them, it doesn't bother me... You can't please everyone... If you make a good movie, that's all that matters. The comic book fans can read their comics and be happy with their comics, but if they don't like it, don't watch it...

Q: Speaking of bad comic movies, one of the big problems has been the overuse of CGI.

VAUGHN: Yeah, I hate CGI. That's why I'm trying to do everything in-camera. Listen, you have to use CGI but I want to do as much in-camera as possible. I'm a gamer, I like videogames and I feel like, when you watch movies, half the time it's like watching an extended game... You just switch off , I couldn't agree with you more.

mr.smiley
hope he does good.I think he seems more focused than bryan singer

Crimson Phoenix
I really hope he doesnt make it a wolverine movie like the last two. There's already gonna be a wolverine spinoff. Let the other characters have the limelight. And i really hope dark Phoenix plays a central role, or an important role- not just just a sub-plot

But reading after reading the interview, Its safe to say that X3 seems to be in good hands.

mr.smiley
I hope cyclops gets more of starring role.
Especilay if their gonna go into the phoenix saga.It wouldn't make sense to keep him on the side lines.
Xmen and x2 were cool but x2 was a little bit too much about wolverine.
I hope x3 just realy explodes and is in your face.
Unforgiving!

Crimson Phoenix
I heard that James Marsden will only be able to film for 2 weeks, cause he has comitments to superman, but i really hope he has a more decent role. his character was absolutely raped in terms of characterisation in the last 2

mr.smiley
they should just get someone new

pr1983
Originally posted by mr.smiley
they should just get someone new

i agree...

this guy seems good, no bullshit... sort of "i'll make this movie how i want to make it"...

i hope he's that way with telling halle to shut the f*ck up and make a decent attempt...

nimbus006
i like his quote of " i think its time for the X-MEN to toughen up a bit" sounds very promising. But in this type of movie you have to use some CGI, like for cyclops blasts and icemans well ice... so we'll see whathe does.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.