Starship Troopers 3

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lau_timmy
I am a big fan of starship troopers 1 and number 2 quite frankly sucked.

I heard that there is going to be a starship troopers 3. It would be welcoming back casper van dein and denise richards as their original characters.

Casper: I talked to Edward Neumeier (screenwriter of the first movie) and he asked me if the idea interested me. He said they were talking about bringing back my character. He and I have talked about some cool ways to do it. So we will see...

The third movie would be so awesome if Paul Verhoeven return to direct it. He is a great Sci fi director who brought us Robocop and Total Recall. No one could do it better.

pr1983
if its true (im not doubting you, just wondering if it will go ahead) it could be good...

Stokely
Great action film, the original. Haven't bothered with the second.

botankus
If all those guys get back together it could be great. The first one is one of my favorites.

DarthLazious
I hope its not a direct to video flim like the second one was.

b-dan
ya its already out and its a direcyt video and thous usually sucked but for one thing advent children is gonna be a good direct video

jango fatt
Starshiptroopers 1 is a masterpiece, as is Robocop.
2 sucked like 7 hells

Bardock42
Well I liked Starship Troopers 1 haven'T seen two yet...but since it can'T really be based on the book I guess it must have sucked.

stunna1773
there no way its gonna make theaters cuase the second movie didnt

jango fatt
How would that come big grin

jango fatt
Paul verhoeven's movies rock especially : Robocop,starshiptroopers & soldaat van Oranje

obi one kenobi
i loved no 1 but 2 was just low budget trash i hope they get verahoven back for no 3 and if not casper van dien at least sum better actors then the idiots from no 2

lau_timmy
Paul Verhoeven haven't directed a movie for quite a while. I would love to see him come back for this movie.

ragesRemorse
all i know is that starship troopers 2 is about as bad as you can get. How could there be another feature film in the series when the sequal wasnt even considered for the cinema?

Thoma5
Whao when starship trooper 2 out?Y I duno abt it...

Bicnarok

stunna1773
wasnt their a post of this already

Bicnarok
maybe but so what this forum is big and things get overlooked

ROBOCOP
yeah i dont give a shit bout starship troopers but i saw someone say advent children big grin i ****ing need to see that

XXSPEARHAMMERXX
i want to see it now smile i love Starship Troopers

botankus
Originally posted by wuk es't
Starshiptroopers 1 is a masterpiece, as is Robocop.
2 sucked like 7 hells

For anyone that saw part 2, why was it so bad? I mean, it's obvious that it sucks, but were they using puppets for the bugs and stuff? And were the actors USA Network washouts?

scribly
Not enough different locations ,it all happens in the same outpost. (Can you say: Old fashioned haunted house movie?)
too dark
Not enough background information about the characters
Predictable
Not enough action (for my taste)

Da preacher
Yeah, 'n the story itself. Jeez, cheesy stupid dialogue, only one location, which sucks BTW. One of the coolest things in 1 were the guys shooting the Bugs to pieces with Machineguns, now all of the sudden they all got shotguns. And everything is DARK. Can't see a ****ing thing etc.

It didn't really give much new stuff and what we did get sucked beyond imagination.

lordofwar
If Paul Verhoeven won't direct that it won't be worth much.

Revanall
uch, i hated #2, too dark, the story sucked, the idea behind it wasn't that bad but the way it was done was one of the worst things i ever saw. it was too dark, not enough budget. the few special effects that they had were decent though. like when the station fired those canisters that fried the bugs. overall though, it kinda ruins the thought of a third one for me.

Yarr
I liked the movie the first time I saw it (StarshipTroopers) and decided to read the book.

God damn it. After reading the book the movie is a steaming pile of monkey dung. I read that the guy who wrote the original script for the movie actually had never read the book, but his friend had. His friend recomended he make a few changes to bring it closer to the book and then make the movie "based on" the novel.

Its an ok Movie but if you liked it you would absolutly LOVE the novel. Its 100 times better.

A little fact about the novel... This novel introduced the idea of soilders using exoskeleton robotic suits. This was well before Gundam and Exo Squads ;p. It was this Novel that many Manga comics borrowed the idea from.

I can not start to tell everyone how awesome the book is.

Trust me, its a little boring at parts (very political), but the actions scenes make up for it.

SoCal
The second movie was directed by the guy who did the bug animations for the first movie. So the bugs look great in the second.

But, the guy is clueless when it comes to making movies so yeah it sucked.

Neither movie is really based on the book. Apart from ricos name, some others and a few planets.

Dizzy for example was a guy. Lots of others but I dont want to spoil the book if anyone decides to read it.

The sequel has weapons from the game ST:Terran Ascendancy. But they look like ass. The light cannon is really just a lightbulb going on & off.

Aslo worth a mention....the captain of the rodger young who dies is a seargant or something in st2.

If there is another sequel, it would be cool if verhoeven directed it. But I'd rather see one based more directly on the book. Roughnecks series is the closest so far(produced by Verhoeven btw),

office jesus
Yeah. It would be. Too bad 2 sucked ass. Wtf was with all the dark lighting? Stopped it halfway through and never finished it. Got tired of squinting and shit. Meh. It'd be nice if some of the original cast returned as well.

redcaped
Why bullets and no lasers.

pattyjn
cool a starship troopers 3! any clues when this will come out?

orbituated
I heard from a guy at my school about part 3 of the famous film ...

i started waching the sequel to the 1st masterpiece and after about a couple of seconds i turned it off ...it sucked like hell..

if the roumer is true ...there isnt a lot of it on the net ...

i found this forum searching for some mention of st3....

my friend also said that the 3rd part will be continued storyline of the first part...

verhoven forever smile

Dude_The_Man
I agree with the OP. The first SST's was probably a about a 8/10. The sequel was like a 2/10... It was just sad.

I hope 3 does something cool like bring back the character's from one. Denise and the main guy can't remember his name atm.

roughrider
They are still trying to get this series going?
Whatever you think of Verhoven's Starship Troopers, the issue is the budget was somewhere between $120-140 million. It's North American take was less than $60 million. That's why the second one went straight to DVD, and was even worse. Verhoeven had mixed success next on Hollow Man, and is apparently back in Holland. He hasn't directed since. Probably have to wait another generation for someone to try again, like with Dune.

pr1983
Originally posted by Dude_The_Man
I agree with the OP. The first SST's was probably a about a 8/10. The sequel was like a 2/10... It was just sad.

I hope 3 does something cool like bring back the character's from one. Denise and the main guy can't remember his name atm.

casper van dien...

roughrider
Originally posted by Yarr
I liked the movie the first time I saw it (StarshipTroopers) and decided to read the book.

God damn it. After reading the book the movie is a steaming pile of monkey dung. I read that the guy who wrote the original script for the movie actually had never read the book, but his friend had. His friend recomended he make a few changes to bring it closer to the book and then make the movie "based on" the novel.

Its an ok Movie but if you liked it you would absolutly LOVE the novel. Its 100 times better.

A little fact about the novel... This novel introduced the idea of soilders using exoskeleton robotic suits. This was well before Gundam and Exo Squads ;p. It was this Novel that many Manga comics borrowed the idea from.

I can not start to tell everyone how awesome the book is.

Trust me, its a little boring at parts (very political), but the actions scenes make up for it.

Yes. The book is excellent, and Verhoeven & crew seem faithful to the surface of it. But Robert Heinlen was making a serious intellectual case for the benefits of a fascist society; even if you didn't agree, he still made good points. The filmmakers were slyly sending all that up, with the Nazi-styled uniforms and everything else. Verhoeven wasn't being serious with his subject manner.
And yes, too bad we didn't see the robot exoskeletons the troopps used. And why no lasers? Look how many of them had to fire repeatedly, just to put down a single bug.

Mana4X2
I am in total agreement with most here... Number 1 was EXCELLENT!

Number 2 totally bombed out. I mean, come on, it was so over the top with little to no plot line it wasn't funny.

Let's hope, if they are doing a third one, they pick up their game, cos so far, I ain't interseted in seeing a third in this franchise. messed

Cheers,
Mana

CptShwan
"Bombed Out". Yeah being one of the top grossing direct to DVD movies so far in the history of DVDs is bombing out alright.

For being shot in 26 days and having only a 5th of the budget of the original, the 2nd was pretty decent. It also won the 2005 Saturn award for best DVD. So if there happens to be a third one, you can thank Hero of the Federation's profits for it.

Mana4X2
Wow, well, I didn't know that. Doesn't change my opinion on the movie though. I still don't like it. no

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by CptShwan
"Bombed Out". Yeah being one of the top grossing direct to DVD movies so far in the history of DVDs is bombing out alright.

For being shot in 26 days and having only a 5th of the budget of the original, the 2nd was pretty decent. It also won the 2005 Saturn award for best DVD. So if there happens to be a third one, you can thank Hero of the Federation's profits for it.

Who cares, comparatively speaking it; sucked balls compared to the 1st.

Thanos_6383
Starship Troopers 3?..Coooool.

cool_dudes_rule
to be honest i never seen the 2nd one ive only seen the first.

Koenig
The second one was a darker story but they botched it. mad ranting rifle

Alliance
I just read the book and it was AMAZING! I've heard the movie was horrible though.

FinalFantsyLord
thought the first film was very well done but the second 1 just f****d up big time if there was another 1 then i hope the original actors r in it that would b cool

"I bought the new Final Fantsy DVD the other day
IT IS WICKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FinalFantsyLord
I watched the second film and thought it was great, so then i watched the 2nd film and i thought it was the stupid piece of rubbish i have ever seen i mean wat is up with there suites they ware abd y is the physicque people fightting with thse dumb ass laser guns wich not only look stupid but dont do anything. And all the sound effects and the lighting it was all awfull and y was it all black during the whole thing, it only had 1 location that was the abondoned tower wich was a stupid idea and and the story line was plain awfull as well i mean it was so predictable the only good bit was when there was a naked chick.
It was defeantly a dissapointment 2 the first film.
film 1 9/10
film 2 1/10

FinalFantsyLord
I watched the first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!film and thought it was great, so then i watched the 2nd film and i thought it was the stupid piece of rubbish i have ever seen i mean wat is up with there suites they ware abd y is the physicque people fightting with thse dumb ass laser guns wich not only look stupid but dont do anything. And all the sound effects and the lighting it was all awfull and y was it all black during the whole thing, it only had 1 location that was the abondoned tower wich was a stupid idea and and the story line was plain awfull as well i mean it was so predictable the only good bit was when there was a naked chick.
It was defeantly a dissapointment 2 the first film.
film 1 9/10
film 2 1/10

Devro68
Well you see the original is really good... some of you might not like it but oh well we cant all like everything.

The second one was crap, for 1 the first budget has been said to be 90 - 120 million dollars.... the second film was 6 million.

That one massive draw back.

Also the guy who did the second one did work on the first one and he says that there is plans for a SST 3 but he said he wants to get together alot of the original actors, and crew to make it. and have a way bigger budget. so hopfully if they do they will have way more money and bring some old actor back and make it a friggin way better movie cuz with all teh tech now a days the movie could be really good.

Black Adam
I never been a big fan of the movies.

read the book before I saw the movies.

though i did like the bugs...thats about the only part of the movie I liked

the cartoon on the other I did like.

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_tvshows/230-starship-troopers-roughnecks/

Lighthammer
1st Stars*** stroopers sucked, didn't bother seeing the second, third gonna be the worst HEres how I see it there are many similarites between Starship Troopers and Aliens. Both about militar in future, bot had mostly unkown cast, big difference the cast in Aliens actually exceeded expectations and made a great film, cast in SST fell below epectations if their were any ade a bad movie. RiThe person who playe Rico should be kicked out of acting if thats possible. As should Denise Richards.

pr1983
Um... aliens was actually partially inspired by starship troopers... the cast were even made to read the book beforehand apparently...

Black Adam
Originally posted by pr1983
Um... aliens was actually partially inspired by starship troopers... the cast were even made to read the book beforehand apparently...

i heard that to.

Lighthammer
The book I have no problem with it, my problem was the movie Starship Trooprrs, and I already knew they were made to read it.

pr1983
Originally posted by Lighthammer
The book I have no problem with it, my problem was the movie Starship Trooprrs, and I already knew they were made to read it.

Oh, well, i was just sayin...

Why didnt you like the first movie?

Lighthammer
Wht kind of general in his right mind gives an interview in battle mind you, also while your armys in retreat, and hudrends of of huge bugs are charging, are you suprised you just got eaten? That and the bugs shootings beams out their ass that just seemd more funny than scary and stupid, good idea just looks absolutely silly on screen. Also the rgument that is made that THe MIS could beat the USCM is bogus. The argument that the MIS would wi because more survived, if the colonial marines had that number more whould have survived. THe MIS hand thousands of troops faced of hundreds of bugs, and got theirasses handed to em but because of the number of intial troops the number left is obviously bigger . the USCM had 12 Marines against hundreds of Aliens and though heavy losses came on top,So the USCM beat the same number of creatures, but with lesser numbers, and the Aliens are tougher foes, I mean do the bugs in SST spray acid everyhere after they died risking death just by killing them? No The Aliens did. id Rico tke or anybody else take down a bug barehanded. Nope. Vasquez did to an alien, Sre The MI highly trained, nope just came out of boot camp. THE USCMhad been in combat for at east 4 years before the Lv426. Rico didn't even know how his helmet worked. Match ups Rico Vs Hicks, Hicks take pretty boy rico to cleaners. Zoe verus Vasquez, thats like putting a canary in with a pitbull, Vaz takes Zoe down, She could take Rico Down too and basically every other MI in that movie. Though Gorman is stupid he is not stupid enough to give an interview when the aliens are chasing arfter them

pr1983
Wht kind of general in his right mind gives an interview in battle mind you, also while your armys in retreat, and hudrends of of huge bugs are charging, are you suprised you just got eaten? That and the bugs shootings beams out their ass that just seemd more funny than scary and stupid, good idea just looks absolutely silly on screen. Also the rgument that is made that THe MIS could beat the USCM is bogus. The argument that the MIS would wi because more survived, if the colonial marines had that number more whould have survived. THe MIS hand thousands of troops faced of hundreds of bugs, and got theirasses handed to em but because of the number of intial troops the number left is obviously bigger . the USCM had 12 Marines against hundreds of Aliens and though heavy losses came on top,So the USCM beat the same number of creatures, but with lesser numbers, and the Aliens are tougher foes, I mean do the bugs in SST spray acid everyhere after they died risking death just by killing them? No The Aliens did. id Rico tke or anybody else take down a bug barehanded. Nope. Vasquez did to an alien, Sre The MI highly trained, nope just came out of boot camp. THE USCMhad been in combat for at east 4 years before the Lv426. Rico didn't even know how his helmet worked. Match ups Rico Vs Hicks, Hicks take pretty boy rico to cleaners. Zoe verus Vasquez, thats like putting a canary in with a pitbull, Vaz takes Zoe down, She could take Rico Down too and basically every other MI in that movie. Though Gorman is stupid he is not stupid enough to give an interview when the aliens are chasing arfter them

You're comparing starship troopers to aliens... which is silly... aliens is one of the definitive action movies ever made...

Lighthammer
I admit it is, its like comparing The Shawshank Redemption(Mark Rolston who was in this was also in Aliens) to Scary Movie 3(Which Denise Richard was in and was in Starship Troopers). Aliens was by far thebetter film. What got me o that rant was this vs forum on another web site's forum where who would win between the USCM and the MI came up. There was this one post that struck as really silly. his one person wrote The MI will win because they have cooler weapons(their opion not mine) and because their cuter. Since when has cuteness won a battle.? Tht just struck me as a silly, and got me on that rant, which was pointless, considerng there is reallyno argument about Aliens being the better film.

pr1983
I admit it is, its like comparing The Shawshank Redemption(Mark Rolston who was in this was also in Aliens) to Scary Movie 3(Which Denise Richard was in and was in Starship Troopers). Aliens was by far thebetter film. What got me o that rant was this vs forum on another web site's forum where who would win between the USCM and the MI came up. There was this one post that struck as really silly. his one person wrote The MI will win because they have cooler weapons(their opion not mine) and because their cuter. Since when has cuteness won a battle.? Tht just struck me as a silly, and got me on that rant, which was pointless, considerng there is reallyno argument about Aliens being the better film.

There are always people who say shit like that... i usually just ignore em...

I liked starship troopers, but against the colonial marines i don't think they'd stand a chance...

Lighthammer
The promise of SST was great, but it fell way short of that and what struck me kind of weird is that Paul Veerhoven hadn't even read the book, whereas in Aliens as part of training, Cameron had the Marines read it. In SST, did the trooprs get training from real soldiers or not? The one thing that made me identify with and like the USCM was the fact they had distincive personalities especially with the customization of their armor, where as the troopers all wore the same armor with no customization. It really made the Marines stand out from each other, like the bandanna, adios on her gun, Loco on her back, and El riegesio siempre vivie on her chest plate for Vasquez, all those bones hanging off of Drake's hat ad around his neck, that pirates skull, and the do no rupture contens under pressure for Hudson, it made the actors more believable as their characters, and especially Cameron had them train together for two weeks before shooting made their camraderie on sceen more real.

pr1983
The promise of SST was great, but it fell way short of that and what struck me kind of weird is that Paul Veerhoven hadn't even read the book, whereas in Aliens as part of training, Cameron had the Marines read it. In SST, did the trooprs get training from real soldiers or not? The one thing that made me identify with and like the USCM was the fact they had distincive personalities especially with the customization of their armor, where as the troopers all wore the same armor with no customization. It really made the Marines stand out from each other, like the bandanna, adios on her gun, Loco on her back, and El riegesio siempre vivie on her chest plate for Vasquez, all those bones hanging off of Drake's hat ad around his neck, that pirates skull, and the do no rupture contens under pressure for Hudson, it made the actors more believable as their characters, and especially Cameron had them train together for two weeks before shooting made their camraderie on sceen more real.

i thought it was more than two weeks...

Lighthammer
WIt probably ones, the BTSF on the DVD, the actors said a few weeks, but whatever it was it worked caused it showed on screen. The thing I think is interesting is how some times movies actors reprise a career or a lifestyle in a role, like in Alien 3 Chares S. Dutton plays Dillion an inmate, when in real life he had served seven years in prision, and Al Matthews who played Apone, sarge, in Aliens, he had previously been a Marine sergeant in Vietnam.

pr1983
WIt probably ones, the BTSF on the DVD, the actors said a few weeks, but whatever it was it worked caused it showed on screen. The thing I think is interesting is how some times movies actors reprise a career or a lifestyle in a role, like in Alien 3 Chares S. Dutton plays Dillion an inmate, when in real life he had served seven years in prision, and Al Matthews who played Apone, sarge, in Aliens, he had previously been a Marine sergeant in Vietnam.

Yeah...

Bicnarok

orbituated
"Of all his films, claimed that Starship Troopers (1997) was the only one he would be interested in revisiting for a true sequel (the 2004 Phil Tippett directed Starship Troopers 2 does not involve him) "

taken from his biography on imdb.com

Who knows, in many ways he looks as he's cast out of the big fame box sad
like many great directors before him..

i watched ST1 again a few days ago ....you can watch it forever smile
Sci fi will never be the same..

Raoul
ermm

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/starship-troopers-3-marauder-movie-trailer.php

Nemesis X
I think people should think of better movies than a new Starship Troopers movie because part 2 sucked worse than any cheap horror flick I can think of.

ragesRemorse
This doesn't look as garbage as the sequel...,but that's not saying much and casper van dien is in it. Of course its going to be a direct to dvd turd, but i wonder, during production if anyone thought this movie actually had a chance to make a theatrical release. I like to think, while watching some of these B movies that the filmmakers were so excited and enthusiastic about their product that they actually fooled themselves into thinking they had a good movie on their hands and then it releases and no one notices laughing out loud

Kazenji
The second one would've been better if Paul Verhoeven did it rather then his special effects guy.

ragesRemorse
i dont know man, the concept for that movie was SO bad, but maybe, if he had a $100 budget.

Morridini
Trailer looked decent enough, I like these movies where everyone know they are making a B-movie, unlike all thre B-movies that take themselves too serious.

Endrict Nuul
I just saw it and its meh........

deathbycorn
I watched it and its heaps better than part 2 but still has nothing on part 1. No one will ever be able to match Verhoevens style and substance. There are a few good scenes but overall you can tell its a direct to dvd release, the budget shows. The only real good things it had going for it was the CG was better than part 2, Rico was back, and there are a few new bugs like a Scorpion bug which was decent. And you see boobys so thats a plus.

The only problem I had was Neil Patrick Harris wasn't in it. He still does movies - he was just in Harold & Kumar 2 - so they should of got NPH to come back too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.